Shelvington Academy (Slice of Life RP): NEW DAY

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Calvinball
Spoken languages: English

Re: Shelvington Academy (Slice of Life RP)

Post by Calvinball »

Shirley looked towards the gates and around at the grounds as Jackie described the entrance and how it was a "pain" to walk through. If Jackie had walked, as she was implying, Shirley could see where the opinion had come from. Walking all the way up to the gate would take an incredible amount of time, such was the length of the driveway and the size of the school.

"If you walked, I can definitely see how it would be a pain," Shirley said in agreement. "And it is all a bit much. After all, is this supposed to be a school or an art piece?" While her sentences sounded almost curt or clipped every few, she was clearly comfortable with talking, or at least more comfortable than Jackie appeared to be.

As Shirley spoke, the gears in her head were slowly turning as she tried to quickly analyze Jackie, the way her "ancestor" Sherlock Holmes did to many new acquaintances. Let's see... awkward socialization, small build, short stature, apparently walked as though she didn't know any better, I've got it!

"ELEMENTARY!" Shirley declared quite suddenly, a touch too loud. " I now have it! I deduce that you, Jackie Crow, must be a freshman who is new to the school, yes?" Shirley said, her very being exuding complete confidence in the "deduction."

Had Fate been watching, it would've thrown its hands into the air. Shirley Homes's "deduction" couldn't be further from the truth. Hopefully she would soon "deduce" that she needed to dial the "Sherlock Holmes" aura back, but at present it wasn't entirely clear if she would do so on her own.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Fantasyhunt
Spoken languages: English, learning Japanese
Location: Somewhere between the void and the abyss. I lose track.

Post by Fantasyhunt »

Spoiler : Tense :
I'm noticing how others are posting in past tense, so...if it doesn't bother everyone too much, I think I'll join them.
If Karen was going to be honest herself, this Jackie character was already making her nervous. Not because of her appearance or her...admittedly crude language; no, it was her bluntness. Jackie Crow was very forward with her thoughts, Karen could see that, it only made Karen uncomfortable due to her own slightly withdrawn approach to things. Then there was the matter of Little Miss Sherlock, she seemed nice enough (though that bubble pipe almost fooled her the first second Karen saw it) and the fact that she-

"ELEMENTARY!" Shirley declared out of nowhere, almost making Karen jump. " I now have it! I deduce that you, Jackie Crow, must be a freshman who is new to the school, yes?" Shirley said confidently, a sparkle in her eye as far as Karen could tell.

"Aren't we all?" Karen asked politely, as to not set anyone off again. "We all seem new to me."

Karen thought she saw Jackie roll her eyes and "Sherlock" raise a brow.

"W-well, this is a new year and all... And if what I've been told is correct, Shelvington Academy is a brand new school," Karen explained, avoiding eye contact with the other girls. "I'm obviously no Sherlock Holmes, but I do have my fair share of common sense."

Then it hit her, hard. She needed to know "Sherlock's" real name.

"Excuse me, Fräulein, err- Miss," she spoke up, turning to "Sherlock" one-on-one and giving her a sincere smile, "But I don't think I caught your name."

Okay, now I think that they think I must be some pretentious German exchange student. Not a good start. Karen put on another smile, an embarrassed blush coming to her face.
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Spoiler : OOC :
I'm afraid I've gotta go for the night; I could be on much later, but it's unlikely. Apologies!
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Ami

Post by Ami »

Sorry for late responses, nap lasted longer than I intended!
gotMLK7 wrote:"...Ya think yer not overcompensatin' a bit with this effin' show-off display? Ya couldn't be screamin' 'we're so rich and important' any louder with this damn place if ya put neon dollar signs on every effin' tree."

And so a new semester began.
"Eh, I like the nature side of it, so that's what I contributed. The walls and the roads were mom and grandpa respectively." Ami saw much of herself in the young girl's attitude.
calvinball wrote:"Hello. I assume that you're the headmistress, Ami Cloverfield, correct?" she asked before going ahead and introducing herself. "My name is Shirley Homes, descended from the late great Sherlock Holmes, and as you can most likely already deduce, I will be attending your school this year." Shirley then turned towards the other student. "And while it's not much of a feat at all, I'm sure it's safe to deduce that you are another student attending Shelvington this year? If so, hello, and you heard my name."
And interaction has begun! (I am not brand new to RPs, but I am not half as experienced as a lot of people here. If there's anything I can improve upon, simply give the word.)

There is one thing I'm a bit confused about: is Shelvington Academy a boarding school or not? I kept Shirley's belongings ambiguous, since I wasn't really sure.
Spoiler : Response to OOC :
Yes, it's a boarding school, but you can live literally anywhere on the island, it doesn't have to be in the school, as the Clover Foundation owns everything. Sorta like the video game Bully (Or "Canis Et Canum" for the PAL region).
Ami waves at the young girl, and lets out a small sigh. This was going to be a difficult girl to handle, but Ami was thankfully a Sherlock fan as well. "Well, consider me yer Mycroft, Shirl."
Fantasyhunt wrote: "I am honored to meet you Headmistress Cloverfield. I am Karen Ferdinand and I look forward to attending Shelvington Academy!" Karen stands up straight and gives her best smile, feigning bravery. She smiles at the other two students. "I look forward to attending school together!"

This was the start of a new adventure, she could feel it in her blood (or it was her absurdly high expectations for the school from the amount of high school animes she has watched).
"Wilkomenn, frauleinn Ferdinand, zu Shelvington Akadamie." Ami smiles back, hoping her German hadn't become rusty.
Spoiler : tense :
Write in present, past, or passive progressive, all of these work well here. Sorry for any confusion. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. ^_^
since 2008!
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Jackie's eye twitched in irritation. She was new to the school, yeah, but she was old enough to be at least a junior or something at a normal high school. Her small stature wasn't exactly her favorite feature, and she couldn't help but feel like the significantly taller people around her noticed it a bit too much for her comfort. It even made her blush a bit in embarrassment.

"Yeah we'll leave yer deductions to yerself why don'tcha! Ain't nobody askin' for them!" Grumbling to herself, she quickly glanced back to the headmaster and gave her an annoyed glare, as if about to quip back at her, then just turned back away in irritation.

"I don't even wanna be at this effin' place," she ranted under her breath as she impatiently tapped her foot. "All these posh holier-than-thou prepa thinkin' they're hot sh..." A pause. "I just wanna get this day over with already dammit..."
Spoiler : OoC :
These posts are hard to do via phone, sorry. Also Jackie's dialogue through autocorrect is hilarious, it keeps trying to make "yer" into "yet" and in one case "ulterior".
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Shirley blanched a bit at Jackie's response. Once again, her brilliant deduction had proven to be... not that at all. Hrmph.

"From your response I take it we can safely conclude that you are, in fact, not a freshman," Shirley said, some of her enthusiasm faded, curtness taking over her tone. She made a vaguely apologetic gesture, but seemed to swallow the words before saying them.

Then, in order to address Karen's earlier queries, Shirley added "My name is Shirley Homes and I'm certainly not a freshman. Practically an adult. Eighteen! And, well... it seems Jackie Crow is not a freshman either. And I was under the impression that Shelvington has been here for a few years at the very least." Shirley shrugged shallowly; she'd apparently lost a bit of her heart for discussion.

Finally, there was Headmistress Ami Cloverfield. Thinking back to the headmistress's reference to Sherlock Holmes's older brother made Shirley actually smile a bit again, and a gleam returned to her eye. "The Mycroft to my Holmes, you say?" Shirley asked, some of the eagerness coming back to her voice as she started to talk about what was fairly clearly her favorite subject. "Incredibly intelligent, but just as lazy? Odd choice. I would've expected Gregson, or perhaps Inspector Baynes for a headmistress. But Mycroft? Certainly smarter by leaps and bounds, but his apathy was not something I expected anyone to willingly associate themselves with." This was very interesting. It would appear that Ami Cloverfield was not quite the headmistress Shirley had expected.

Of course, Shelvington, thus far, had not proven to be the school experience she expected. Already she, Jackie, and Karen completely clashed with the school's aesthetic, not looking much like they fit in at such a posh establishment. Jackie had her grunge look while she had her look styled after her "ancestor," and Karen... appeared to be wearing a costume of some sort? Shirley hadn't a clue.

Well, there was nothing for it but to wait until school started. Presumably Headmistress Cloverfield would tell them. Or to wait for someone else to say something? While Shirley had been brought down a peg or two (and reminded that her deductive skills are rather lackluster), she wasn't ready to give up on a good first impression. She just... needed a chance to regroup. And think through her deductions a little more.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Spoiler : Player Application :
Name: Yo Guerra
Likes: Reading, cats, dogs, grilled cheese, mayo, paper clip art, basketball, reading news articles, berating bad news articles, etc
Dislikes: Obnoxious people, motorcycles, plum juice, clip art, soccer, people who really like death metal and WON’T STOP BLASTING IT ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL, the smell of rotten farts, etc.
Appearance: http://i.imgur.com/A2O7hn6.png

Towering at the height of 6’9”, Yo Guerra is one of the tallest people in Calipan. With slicked back black hair, light brown skin, and brown eyes, Yo’s face looks older than most’s with help from his facial hair. In all ways, he just kinda looks big.

Backstory: The child of a Japanese mother and a Brazilian father, Yo has been raised in different ways, as both of his parents would have to travel at different points in time (thanks to both having jobs that required so.) Eventually, he was just sent to live with his uncle in Calipan, who raised him and basically adopted Yo at the age of 11, when his parents didn’t have the time to raise him.

Yo, along with being large and intimidating, has always had outbursts of anger, thanks to the constant confusion brought on by his home life. Once he grew older, he would often have fits of rage, until one day at the age of 16 (Just as he was getting into a new year of high school.) he actually sent a kid crashing into a tree, knocking them into a nearly critical state and giving them a concussion. Once this happened, it was time for an intervention. He would take anger management classes for the next few years.

Needless to say, it was hard for him to make friends, which didn’t help his anger, but he held himself back. Now, as it’s his last year in high school, he’s decided that he’s going to make the most out of it.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Spoiler : GM OOC :
Accepted!
since 2008!
Fantasyhunt
Spoken languages: English, learning Japanese
Location: Somewhere between the void and the abyss. I lose track.

Post by Fantasyhunt »

Karen flushed with embarrassment upon realizing that the students whom she believed were her equals, were actually upperclassmen. A quiet “Oh,” was all she could get out after Shirley introduced herself and amended Karen’s mistake.

True, Karen made mistakes, but she wasn’t usually that bad at first impressions. No matter though, she had plenty of time to give people a good idea of who she was. After calming herself down from her misstep, Karen drowned herself into her thoughts, instead focusing on the out-of-the-ordinary wardrobes of herself and her fellow students at Shelvington Academy. That, and the fact that she still needed to apologize properly.

“W-well, my apologies to the both of you,” she said politely, hopefully getting their attention and then bowing her head to Shirley and Jackie. “I guess my assumptions were wrong.”

Karen then faced Headmistress Cloverfield and smiled. It was very comforting of the headmistress to greet Karen with the language of her family and ancestors; it was something to be addressed.

Danke schön, Headmistress Cloverfield for the German greeting, it was nice to hear,” Karen whispered as softly as she could, refraining from checking if either Jackie or Shirley were looking her way. “But I think I shall stick with speaking English while I am here.”

Karen bowed her head to the headmistress respectfully and looked back at the landscape that led to where she now stood. Hopefully someone that she wouldn’t be awkward with would come.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Yo looked at the school from the window of his uncle's shabby old car, always somewhat amazed at how big it was. Driving in from the middle-class areas, (Where his uncle lived. His parents paid for his education while he lived with his uncle.) this area always made him think about how weird rich people could be sometimes. He supposed that with the money his parents gave him, he was a bit spoiled as well. He decided he couldn't talk about being weird due to money. His uncle, however, probably had more of a right to an opinion on that.

The car stopped, "Well, Yo, we're here." His uncle said, turning to him from the driver's seat. He was a dark-skinned man who, while looking a lot like his dad, shown off a different attitude. He smiled, and pat Yo on the shoulder, "You gonna be okay, partner? I know you've been working real hard to chill out, but you've gotta be a bit nervous."

Yo nodded and looked out the window absentmindedly, "Well, of course, every year's a bit weird but... Hey. Gotta do what you gotta do, right?" Yo responded, popping the door open and putting his foot out. "Well, thanks, Da- I mean Uncle. I'll see you when you get home later. I'll rent a cab."

As his uncle drove off, he waved. Standing out somewhat like a sore thumb, thanks to his height and his uncle's car. No one could really say whether anyone cared about what his height, or what he rode in on. With that, he picked up his bookbag, slung it over his shoulder, and took to walking towards the gates. He stopped to bow slightly to the Headmistress. "Good morning, Miss Cloverfield. I hope for another good year with Shelvington. I promise not to get into any trouble this year."
Ami

Post by Ami »

Ami cocked her head to the side. "I've heard that promise before. But ah well, anyone's money is as good as the next person's." She'd taught this student before. She didn't dislike him, but she did dislike angry, privileged parents talking about how their child shouldn't be forced to be in the same proximity as anyone "violent". She sighed, "Still- welcome, Yo. Glad to see you're well."
since 2008!
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

"Ah, thank you, Headmistress. I hope we work well this year." He said, scratching the back of his head. She was a blunt lady, for sure. Oh well, he couldn't blame her, he had managed to cause a commotion... But he was okay now, right? He sighed and walked through the entrance to the school area.

A few people had gathered, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to try and talk to anyone just yet. There was a bit of time before he had to do anything, so he just decided upon sitting down on a bench. He leaned back and looked up into the sky. It was a nice view, really. He liked it. If it wasn't morning, he'd consider eating a lunch here or having a picnic with a friend.

How refreshing... He thought.
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Shirley couldn't help but take notice of the conversation between Ami Cloverfield and the new student, Yo. Evidently, he was not new to the school like she and Karen apparently were. Perhaps he could be spoken with in order to get an idea of what Shelvington was like? But first... could she, perhaps, deduce something from his behavior? What didn't work on Crow might work here; "try, try again," after all.

He and Ami Cloverfield are familiar enough to converse easily. The Headmistress seemed comfortable with the conversation, though had referenced some sort of broken promise. Yo did not seem quite as comfortable -- perhaps something to do with the broken promise?

"ELEMENTARY!" In a flash, Shirley was sitting on the bench by Yo, bubble pipe in hand and the promise of a brilliant deduction in her eyes. "You were something of a problem student at Shelvington in previous years, were you not?"

Internally, Shirley cringed. That was not a deduction, it was a summary of what the two had clearly conversed about! Well, no time to turn around now.

"My name is Shirley Homes, descended from the late, great Sherlock Holmes," Shirley said, introducing herself with the same clipped confidence that she started the day with. "Pardon the deduction, I couldn't help it. And you? If we'll be peers, we may as well know each others' names, yes?"

Fate had long since given up. It would seem there was no saving Shirley or anyone else from herself.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Yo's head jolted up in shock at the shouting, causing him to just kinda look terrified for a moment. He barely processed anything this girl had said, but he shook his head and looked at her with a glare. "Hey, hold up, who the hell just shouts elementary at someone and throws accusations at them outta nowhere?! What the hell is wrong with you?" He yelled, somewhat irritated looking, "Before trying to guess my life story, at least try to be considerate of the fact that I don't need a goddamned heart attack to end that life story."

He did not seem happy. "Before I even give you my name, I want an apology. I don't much appreciate people who don't think before being rude."
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Shirley blanched for the second time that day. This time she didn't even know if she was wrong. It was just clear that she had apparently acted wrongly. While her "ancestor" was a somewhat coarse man, as far as she could tell he at least had the sense to not induce heart attacks in people. And either way, she wanted very badly to make a decent impression. She'd practically been run out of her last school for her "deductions." Perhaps now it was time to "deduce" that declaring "elementary" and making bad guesses about people's lives wasn't conducive to social interaction? While her "ancestor" could get along without it just fine, Shirley had to admit to needing more social contact than he.

"I, er..." Shirley stumbled on the words a bit. Pride generally got in the way of her ever apologizing, but two affronted people in a row at a brand new place was apparently enough to get Shirley to rethink her usual life strategy.

"I regret that you were so startled by my interjection," she finally managed, while gesturing apologetically. "I'll try to give you more warning of any approach I make in the future."

It wasn't much of a "sorry," but it was all that Shirley was willing to say, at least initially. She'd wait to see what Yo's reaction was first. In the meantime, she crossed her legs and blew on her bubble pipe. If she was lucky (unlikely), maybe she'd at least get the satisfaction of him saying she was right.
ImageImage

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper