[RP] Flytrap Canyon - A Steampunk Western

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Re: [RP] Flytrap Canyon - A Steampunk Western

Post by DLA »

Sonia - Tavern

"Alright, screw it." she said, ripping off the fake mustache and discarding the bad impression. "So I'm not a strapping manly gentleman with a stylish yet incredibly itchy mustache. Ya got me there. But what ya don't realize is, I got a little pally-pal hanging out around here. Johnny-boy!" she shouted, pointing at the aforementioned Johnny-boy. "Ya had the others worried sick lookin' for ya! Why are you hanging out with those fools? Never mind that, I don't hold a grudge. But if ya wouldn't mind, a little help over here?" she said, a grin on her face.

She turned to look at the sheriff, a serious expression now. "Sorry I had to lie to ya. In case it isn't already obvious, I am El Cuervo, and I've made a bit of a mistake. I wish I had enough time to explain it to ya, but considering my current situation, that'll have to wait, if I'm even alive after this, that is. You seem really dedicated to your job, so I don't suppose I'd be able to persuade ya to help out here. Maybe we can still be friends after all this is over if I make it out alive?" she said, smiling sincerely then turning serious once more.

"Now then, back to our current predicament. Jeffy-boy over there's got a big gun pointed at me. Johnny-boy is over there by the girl and could have her dead in a matter of seconds. Mr. Creepy over there's probably got somethin' up his sleeve, and depending on whether or not the Sheriff over here decides to pick a side, either side could have another gun on their side. What ya don't know is, I got a secret weapon, one that could blow this entire little building away, if I so choose. Considerin' that all of us will die if I bring out this secret weapon, wouldn't it be a better idea to just walk away and pretend this never happened?" she smiled confidently, her hands ready to go to her guns if needed.
The Final but not so ending chapter.
Alnar
Spoken languages: ??????

Post by Alnar »

The Tavern - John Gull

John was momentarily stunned when the one who seems to be the sheriff around her called his name out... except he pointed his finger to the wrong person. Drifter on the other hand, played along for some reason or the other.

He should have been relieved, if only for a moment. But with how long John's been on the field, he knew things would only get worse from here. The girl at the bar, Sonia Reyes, she was with the bandit group at the start, then mysteriously disappeared one day when John wasn't looking. He knew little of her, but he knew that she was all bark and no bite.

Sonia was about to leave the bar, John had half a mind to keep her here.

But it looks like the Drifter was quicker on the draw. Almost too quick.

Bullets were shot into the ceiling, raining shredded wood and splinters down onto the floor. John's hand went to his poncho, unclasping it and holding it in place. The Drifter gave a warning to everyone, telling them to leave at once or else their lives would be at risk. Tables were flipped to the ground, chairs were left behind on the floor, the bystanders left in screams of terror and panic.

Now, the thing about intimidation, you got to look the part for it to have any effect. Sonia could pull it off, no doubt, but she needed the right audience. But when things don't go to her favor, she'd be in trouble. Someone like the Drifter on the other hand, whose name rings in infamy? Now he's someone who could say something and mean it. He had an entire aura around that just gave you the foreboding sense of death looming over you, ready to make you keel over at any moment. The scary part was that you knew he was capable of doing, you just didn't know if and when he'd do so.

John could do it too, but intimidation was too indirect. Took too much effort. He was more direct to the point. Did the Drifter assume John would stand idly by while shots were being fired? The Drifter had his gun aimed at Sonia. Rachel was unaware of John's stand on this matter, which is why John took action.

"I'm sorry for this, Bubbles." John murmurs with a tone of guilt. He throws his poncho over Rachel's head.

His hand goes to his quiver. He takes out a retracted arrow. Its size is much like a cigarette or a dart. This was the intention he had when making these arrows. He could throw them from his hand when they were retracted. By default, they'd function just like they would when they were shot out of his bow.

He takes aim, targeting the space on the ground in-between the Drifter and Sonia. He throws. The dart sticks to the ground and explodes into a cloud of thick smoke upon impact.

"SUNNY! TAKE COVER!" John shouts to Sonia as he began running towards the large amount of fallen tables and chairs by a wall. The smoke would only mildly annoy the masked Drifter, but he needed to account for every other threat in the tavern too. John readied his revolver and kept his hand on his quiver as he hid behind a table.
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Tavern

It took a few seconds for Rachel to remove the poncho with her free hand. This was not due to Rachel possessing a slow reaction time- you could hardly be a good bodyguard if you were slow on the draw- but confusion as to what exactly was transpiring. Everything was happening so fast that Rachel was having difficulty processing the various developments.

But... one that had become incredibly clear. They'd been betrayed. She'd been betrayed. Rachel had never truly had to experience betrayal- her clients were typically forthright and she only worked with people she implicitly trusted. The feeling hurt. A lot.

However, these feelings were something to work out later. Right now she needed a plan of attack.

She coughed as a slight amount of the smoke entered her lungs. She couldn't charge forward and deal with John- the sensory deprivation was of little concern, but the oxygen deprivation certainly was. AT the moment, she really didn't want to attack either of her... enemies. In the smoke-filled environment there was a good chance that a halberd slice or shotgun blast could end up hitting something she really didn't want to hit- whether it be an ally or no.

As she was near the door to the tavern, she opened it, in a attempt to vent the smoke. She then moved to the wall, so as to avoid being attacked from behind, and stayed there, Halberd at the ready.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
The Ash Raichu
Spoken languages: English

Post by The Ash Raichu »

Tavern - Vikki:

That glass of whiskey was the least of Vikki's worries now. Somehow, a Gatling gun had come into play when she wasn't looking, likely when she was fixing said glass of whiskey. Her little pistol was adequate for drawing attention during a standard drunken fistfight, but when shootouts happened, she was pretty much powerless. She also figured that any call to keep things civil would probably be met with complete disregard.

Given masked man's warnings, she should probably flee the scene and hope when things die down, the bar was still left standing. She left through the back room.

Vikki moves to Flytrap Town.

River - Zoie:

Zoie finally stopped drinking. There probably wasn't wrong with a few refills. There was plenty there. It was a river, for crying out loud! Finally satisfied, Zoie realized that actually did next to nothing to solve her other problem. She needed food. But she didn't know where to get food. And she didn't have money. Well, she had money, but even she wasn't dumb enough to try to buy something with a gold bar she just "helped" rob.

Zoie moves to Flytrap Town.

Zoie noticed there was a lot of noise coming from the bar. She was staying far away from that, but she also took a morbid interest in what was going down. Maintaining a safe distance, Zoie watched the brawl happen. Shooting through roofs and explosions seemed to be involved, so this obviously was going to be the spectacle of a lifetime...

Man, she needed food...
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Tavern

Smoke filled the room, mildly surprising Graves, though his expression didn't show it. Shaking his head, breathing in the smoke as if it was air, he produced his gun from his book bag, playing with it's weight.

"Apologies. It seems that our conversation has been cut short."

He gives The Drifter a nod...

And then, swiftly, he dashed in front of the table where Gull hides. He stands over the table, looking downwards at the man who has drawn his ire. Smiling, but clearly not happy. His voice ringing with a certain steel to it.

"Now, now. It's rude to interrupt another persons conversation. Didn't you know that?"

He speaks evenly and calmly. Enunciating every sound. He holds the gun at his side during all this, prepared to counter but not directly threatening it's use.

"Next time, wait your turn to speak. It's all about being polite."

He stops for a second, thinking to himself.

"I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed."

He tilts his head to Sonia.

"Now, you mentioned something about a secret weapon, didn't you? Would you care to show the class?"
DLA

Post by DLA »

Margot - Outside the Tavern

"And that, my dear sir, is why you should never trust a leprechaun to do Santa Claus's job." she said. The man stood there, a blank expression on his face.

"Now then, will you be buying a bottle of my magical elixir?" she asked, patting Socrates on the head.

"Uhh.... I'll take like three I guess?" the man said, handing her a few coins.

"Excellent! Here you are!" she said, handing him the bottles. As he walked away, she turned to Socrates. "You see, little one? This is how you run a business. Soon, we shall have the mansion, and the museum, and all the nice stuff. You have to give it time. But for now, we shall stay quiet here and continue along as if nothing is happening."

Several gunshots ran out from within the tavern, and there was also quite a bit of shouting. "It is standard stuff for a town like this. No need to get involved." she put the coins in her pocket and began to wait for more customers.

Sonia - Tavern

"I knew ya'd come through, Johnny-boy! That Kenny fellow was wrong about you!" Sonia exclaimed, running over to the tables with him and drawing her guns but not aiming them at anyone. Perhaps there was a chance they'd get out alive. Not a very big one, but some chance. That was, until Graves went and revealed their hiding spot.

"Aw, come on, now, Mr. Creepy, you ain't no fun! Why do ya gotta come reveal our hidin' spot? Have ya never played hide and go seek before? Ya gotta close your eyes while we're hidin'! But that's beside the point. You're tryin' to trick me. It's a secret weapon, if I go and tell ya what it is, it won't be so secret, now will it?" once again, she smiled, as if she had won the fight right then and there. "Anyway, as long as you don't know what it is, you're not gonna risk it. I could very well be bluffing, but I could also blow this town right off the map. You willin' to take that chance?"
enigma

Post by enigma »

Tavern

"My apologies. I didn't have much of a childhood, so I'm not fully acquainted with the rules of childish games."

Graves nods his head as the lady continues to speak.

"Tut-tut. You shouldn't assume, young lady. Don't you know the saying? When you assume..."

He opens his eyes, piercing daggers through the smoke at Sonia. They are filled with a cold, hard, honest glint. This is not the expression of a man who is bluffing or lying.

"You put yourself in a very... very... bad situation. I'm not calling your bluff. I'm asking you to do the opposite, actually. I'm curious, you see. What I mean to say is that, if you were to ask me if I was willing to take the chance that you would blow up this whole entire town..."

He chuckles.

"I'd say go ahead and do it."
Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

Post by Sleuth »

Tavern:

"He would! Seriously!"
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

As the battle raged on, Rachel didn't leap into action, as was her first instinct. Instead her drew herself inwards, and thought.

Rachel hated blood. She hated bloodshed. It was kind of ironic, she knew, being a bodyguard that didn't want to spill a drop of the stuff- but she didn't view being a bodyguard as requiring violence. She viewed it as a job where she could protect people- could prevent harm. Prevent death. Prevent loved ones having to suffer because somebody they knew was gone. Forever. She didn't wish that on people she cared about, and she didn't wish it on her worst enemy. Because even that worst enemy had people they cared about. People that were likely innocent of any crimes.

Rachel also hated the concept of betrayal. Like with bloodshed, Rachel had been a bit privileged in this regard- being a bodyguard typically didn't require her to work with others, and when it did, she was typically able to pick people she trusted implicitly, making the chance of being double-crossed essentially an impossibility. It was, in general, just a feeling that she was unfamiliar with. And it hurt. Because she trusted people. She trusted people to do the right thing, and she liked to assume that people deserved the trust. And to think that it was misplaced... that stung.

Honestly, it wasn't that Rachel knew John that well, but she still considered him somebody that she liked. Somebody she got along with. She had faith that at heart, he was, like most people, a good person. So this felt like a dagger through the heart.

Honestly, a part of Rachel's brain was telling her to leap into action. To disable targets and end this situation as quickly as possible before anybody got hurt. It's possible that doing anything else would be totally fruitless. And doing anything else could potentially be suicidal- even though she could defend herself if need be, if all the bandits turned on her... things likely wouldn't go well. But... she needed to know. She needed to ask.

"John... Why? Why this? I just... I don't understand!" She shouted, hoping that John could hear her over the background noise of the tavern.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Tavern

Drifter seemed to be waiting for something as the smoke poured in around him. He didn't seem particularly affected by it; he stood as still as ever with his gun now charged and ready to spray out another round of bullets, and his breathing seemed fine due to the mask. Yet he stood still for a few moments, allowing events to unfold for a bit, potentially planning his next move.

As the last of the civilians poured out of the bar, the Drifter began to shuffle forward again. His gun was still whirring; he was still prepped to fire at any moment. He grabbed his poncho with his free arm as he moved towards the wall where he heard the others' voice. He waved it back and forth in front of him, dispersing the smoke a bit to clear it out of the way for him. He kept his gun arm at the ready as he did this.

"Flappin' gums ain't gonna get us nowhere," he said to the others as he approached. "I can't speak for you folks but to me this ain't personal. I ain't in this town to play games, I'm here to finish a job and to collect a paycheck." He stopped near Grave and swung his arm forward towards where John and Sonia hid behind the table. "Questioning's not in my job description. Apologies." His gun whirred faster, preparing to fire...
Spoiler : OoC :
Just to note something that I still firmly hold that I won't kill a person's character unless told/asked to and that while Drifter isn't exactly going to fall for bluffs, he CAN be convinced to not immediately rip you apart, and if he can't be he can just be fought back or dodged and I won't really complain. So...yeah just want to establish this post as not being "screw your scene, Drifter's going to kill you" and more "he's not falling for it and you should do something about that". I don't want anyone to feel completely screwed over here and just know that if worst comes to worse, "I rolled to the left to avoid the bullets" is completely satisfactory to me. Just clarifying to avoid the "I don't know how to deal with this without dying" thing that may crop up because you're really in danger if you want to be.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Alnar
Spoken languages: ??????

Post by Alnar »

The Tavern

The air was starting to clear. A door must've been opened. He didn't have much time left before Drifter would let loose another volley. He was running out of options here. These wooden tables would not hold at all. And that was when John peeked over the table and saw him.

He thought he heard a familiar name earlier. To see him here didn't put John in any better a position.

There he was, walking towards the table breathing in the smoke as if it were fresh air. Blackwood Graves. Many spoke of his name in hushed tones like an urban legend. A sadistic sociopath who felt no pain, they said. The records say his father disappeared one day, but the rumors that spread tell of a man who, unable to handle the pressure from his father, snapped. Killed him without any remorse. Whether those rumors were true or not, no one would ever know. One thing was for sure, Blackwood was one of the best hunters out there. If John was direct and effective, Blackwood was indirect and just as effective.

That was why when Graves came over to the table and scolded John for his actions, he kept silent and didn't shoot. If it had been anyone else, he would have shot without hesitation.

This is going to hell. We're outnumbered and I'm running out of options.

Rachel's question reached him. Could he answer it? Would she even believe him if he told her the reason? John considered Rachel something like a friend. The other two he killed... he didn't know them very well. That's how this job as a hunter capturing or killing people with a price on their head was easy for him. He didn't know any of his targets or the people he killed. All he knew was they did something to get a price on their head and that reward was what John was after. When you get to be in this business for 13 years, you stop caring about who that person with their face on a poster is.

"Look, Bu-..." John stopped, and used her real name instead. "Rachel, I didn't have a choice! And I don't have the leisure time to explain all this with Jake Drifter over there ready to turn me into swiss cheese!"

That arrogant kid back at the hideout was right, though John would never admit it. This was the worst plan and now here he was, possibly on the verge of death with The Drifter, Blackwood, Rachel, and the Sheriff all here. And all he had for back-up was a woman with a fake mustache who liked to play hide and seek.

Why did he betray the hunters again?

The burdens of having a moral compass.

At this rate, he was going to have to use his ace... perhaps Sonia does have her use after all. From behind the table, John reaches into his quiver. Remotely detonated. Lethal at close range. John stabbed the arrow into the ground.

*krick* *thwack*

He had seven of these when he came into town. Now he had five left to spare. He'd need to replenish his stock some time.

He heard the whirring sound of the Drifter's arm. They needed to get out of here now. If they stayed in this tavern any longer at the way things were going they would not live to see another day. But there was no way they were getting to the Tavern entrance in one piece.

Fortunately, John always comes prepared. The entrance was to their east, which meant that the direction they had come from was from the north. John needed to get to the northern wall.

After all, he had a feeling he was going to need to make a fast exit.

"Don't worry Jake, talking ain't in mine either. Sunny! Get to the north wall!" John shouted, rolling to the side and making a run for cover behind the bar.
Spoiler : OoC :
To Sleuth: If Kidd is behind the bar, John just popped in right beside you.

To Got: Noted!

Assume the same for my character, everyone. John has a lot of tricks up his sleeve and I try to introduce the supposedly lethal ones before they come into play. But I won't kill anyone unless that's what someone wants. John's not much of a talker, but he'll speak when spoken to.

If John ever puts you in a situation of "Oh no I don't know what to do, I'm dead" and you don't want that in particular, let me know. I can probably help you come up with a solution.
Last edited by Alnar on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
enigma

Post by enigma »

Tavern

The insidious instructor looked down at where Gull was hiding as the man made his getaway. Seeing the arrow, he raised and eyebrow. Hearing Gull's next set of words, he rolled his eyes.

"You act as if we don't also have eyes and ears... You really are a schoolchild."

Briskly, he strolls away from the arrow. Only stopping to quickly whisper something to the Drifter.

"Now, just a heads up, but you should probably keep a lid on that temper. It's much easier to complete your job when you don't have half the town on your back."

And with that, he quickly walks over to the other end of the bar. Far away from the arrow.
DLA

Post by DLA »

Sonia - Tavern

"Gotcha, Johnny-boy!" Sonia shouted, rolling out from behind the tables and running over to the north wall. "Ya see, Mr. Creepy, the trick is, you've been lookin' at my secret weapon this whole time! He's been right in front of ya! Johnny-boy here is the secret weapon! Jeffy over there's got no manners and wasn't letting me explain before, but I fooled ya'll into thinking I had some kinda explosive deal or huge gun, when in reality, him and his bag of tricks are the secret weapon!" she smiled smugly, once again having just thought of that on the spot and not wanting to admit she had nothing to support her bluff.

"Nice little town ya got here. Shame about this whole thing, but if Jeffy-boy could have just kept his mouth shut and not gone on the warpath, the ceiling would have a lot less holes in it, and what's about to happen wouldn't be happening. Jeffy-boy's gotta learn to negotiate and not just go in all guns-a-blazing, otherwise by the time this is over, ya'll won't even have a town left!" she said, guns drawn but not aimed at anyone. She didn't want to shoot anyone, but if the circumstances required it, she might.
enigma

Post by enigma »

Tavern

"Oh?"

It all happens in a blur. The teacher raises his eyes, and then next second his arm coils around John's neck like an anaconda constricting it's prey. A familiar click is heard, and cold steel is pressed against the unfortunate ex-bounty hunters head.

"Well..." His voice flickers from his neutral tone to genuine interest. "That certainly makes this interesting..."

He leans in close, his alarmingly cold breath on Gull's ear.

"So, what have we learned today? This man is the secret weapon. Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. I WAS going to just leave him be but... Well, forgive my curiosity."

A voice akin to a child who's caught a bug, twisting it in their hands and imagining the best way to pull off it's little wings. Playing with their newest, living toy.

"So, then... What can he do? I'm curious. Can he escape? Can he kill me? Tell me, Mr. John, what is it that makes you worthy of being called a secret weapon? Your acquaintance seems to be implying that you could destroy our whole town..."

As he speaks, his voice lulls to a tone not unlike an adult soothing a child. Imploring the child to show them their newest doodle for the fridge.

"I'll give you ten seconds to show me what this special ability of yours is. And if it's exciting enough, I'll let you leave. Leave you be. It's not much to ask, I'd say."

He looks over to Sonia, smiling graciously.

"Or, well, in the case your acquaintance is bluffing again... She could admit to me what the REAL special weapon is. I'd love for her to show me that. And if she does, same deal. I'll let you both go."

He grinds the gun hard against the skull.

"But, let me make this clear, I won't have any cheating on this assignment. Have you heard of reflexive actions? I have my finger tight on the trigger right now, so trying to cheat and escape or push me over or really anything that might startle me... Well, let's just say my finger might pull even tighter in that moment. And we wouldn't want that, would we?"

He shakes his head.

"But this won't be a problem. You DO have a secret weapon to show me, after all? Don't you?"
DLA

Post by DLA »

Sonia - Tavern

"Mr. Creepy, please don't do anything rash." she said, sweating nervously. "Since you're so determined, I'll finally give you the truth. There is no damn secret weapon. Happy? I lied. I've been trying to cover my ass this whole time so I wouldn't have to admit it, but there you go. I. Lied. I've been trying to stall for time to get Jeffy-boy over there from blowing the town to bits himself. I supposed you could say Jeffy-boy over there is your secret weapon, but I should probably shut up about that now before this gets worse."

"There is no secret weapon, and there never was. Now just let him go." she said, completely serious. "Ya said that was the deal. Now, considering how tricky you've been so far, I'm not exactly sure if I should be considering ya a man of your word. But the secret weapon is that there was none. I'm sure somebody crazy out there's probably made something that would blow away your whole town, but I don't got it. If you would, calm Jeffy-boy over there down before he sends this entire building collapsing down on all of us, and please let my associate go."