[DINE] The Den of Deception

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: [DINE] The Den of Deception

Post by kwando1313 »

Mizuki flashes a smile at Rachel and follows Edwam out the room.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Post by Reverie »

"Thanks" was the only word Rachel would've heard from Haru as she passed through the door. Following Mizuki's lead, she flashed a smile in the woman's direction and made her way towards the others.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

The foyer's beige wallpaper, lit by a small chandelier hanging from the ceiling, feels too bright for the somber atmosphere hanging throughout the mansion. The feeling of this particular room, however, is dominated by the two large paintings hanging across from each other.

One is a ghastly scene—a wild, misshapen man with a mane of white hair using his mouth to rip off the arm of a small child—which has apparently already had its head and the other arm ripped off. The head of the painting feels different from the rest of it; like it has more detail, and is more realistic. The face has sharp, severe features, and cold blue eyes like ice that you feel follow you through the room.

The other painting, by comparison, is much milder—a woman wears a veil and a black dress, with a white top and white shoes, while leaning on a rock, looking wistfully into the distance. A railing lines the top of the rock, and the painting is backed by a blue sky. Like the other painting, the head is in a different, more realistic style. The woman’s kind smile is framed by her soft, dark hair, and her serene blue eyes are like calming pools of water that let you forget the penetrating gaze of the painting behind you—almost.

The group's footsteps are softened by a circular rug with a yellow, green, and red floral pattern. On each side of the main entranceway is a dark wooden stand with a small plant in a pot at the top, with lush green vines hanging down about halfway to the ground. In a corner of the room is a wooden stand with a drawer, with a glass vase filled with white, pink, and red flowers on top and, of all things, a rotary phone.

The front entrance is to the south, and leads outside. The door to the parlor is on the east wall. Besides that, there is a door on the west wall, a door on the north wall, and a second door on the east wall.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

As I stepped into the foyer, I suddenly heard laughter.

But... not from anyone I'd come across in the mansion up to that point. Certainly not anyone from the room.

Yet. It was oddly familiar.

I closed my eyes. Yes... it was a young girl's laugh. I remembered that, when I was in elementary school, I used to sit next to the person that laugh had belonged to. Medoline Sphyro was her name. But we called her "Me-Me", because whenever a teacher would ask a question, she would be the first to answer, demanding: "Me, me, me, me!" We weren't that close, but there was one incident that lingered in my memory:

It was lunch break. I was just coming back to my desk. Medoline was already there, very visibly fuming over something.

"My boyfriend will beat you up!" she said to me, having realized that I'd written "ME-ME MORE LIKE MEH-MEH" on the back of her notebook. I had no ill-will towards her, I just thought it was funny. She didn't see it that way. But, being a kid, I saw her anger as completely unreasonable and unjustified so I showed some teeth of my own.

"Oh, yeah? What's his name?"

"Dave!"

"Dave? Yeah, right! You couldn't get a boyfriend even if you wanted to!"

"Why's that?!"

"Because you're ugly." I smirked. That seemed to throw her off-guard.

"Y... You're just a bully, you know that, Edwam?!"

"Whatcha gonna do about it?" My smirk turned into a grin.

She said nothing. Instead, she simply stormed out of the classroom.

Later that day, a boy named Dave kicked the living crap out of me.

I opened my eyes. "Bizarre", I thought to myself. Not only because I thought of it at a moment that had nothing to do with the memory itself. Not only because I could still not find a source of the laughter.

But because the more I thought about it, the more I realized I had absolutely no other memories of that girl. Even the explanation for her nickname - hell, even the nickname itself - felt completely... wrong the more I thought about it.

Almost as if it was a memory that did not belong to me.

I shook my head. "Nonsense... This is all nonsense..." I concluded, and went on to take a look at the wooden stand in the corner, taking a look what was in the drawer.

As I did so, I took a look at the ghastlier of the two paintings. "Hm. Nice painting, I guess."
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

"Well... That is.... Uh.... Quite the.... Uh... Painting, huh."

Mizuki averted her gaze from that painting, and decided to examine the painting of the woman in further detail.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Edwam opens the drawer to find... keys. Lots and lots of keys.

Suddenly, the house shakes, you hear a loud noise from elsewhere in the house, and an alarm starts to sound. Some of the keys in the drawer go flying, and the ones that remained get scrambled around.

The painting is made of large strokes that blend together, except for the face, which is done in an extremely detailed, realistic style. The painting is set in a fancy gold frame.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

"...Uh-oh."

I did my best to at least try to get the keys on the ground.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Mizuki was admiring how pretty the portrait was, with its wonderful strokes, when the alarm went off.

She turned and faced Edwam.

"Uh... What was that? And... Should we figure out what the heck is going on?"

Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Rachel rushes out of the parlor. "That's the fire alarm! Come on, get out!" she shouts above the noise, gesturing to the front door.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

I turned to Mizuki.

"C-Can't imagine what could've done that, no siree! Nope!"

(Key picking up intensified.)

It was then that I noticed Rachel.

"W-Wait!" I said, scrambling. "Wait, are you sure?! F-Fire?! I-Isn't it something that could've been triggered b-by someone opening up a drawer? One that had keys? You know, like an anti-burglary system? M-Maybe?!"
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

"Yes, get outside!" Rachel shouts as she hurries to the front entrance.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

"GODDAMN KEYS!"

I declared, putting in my pocket what few I'd gathered and followed Rachel outside.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

"F-Fire! That can't be good!"

Mizuki follows Edwam and Rachel outside.

Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Haru barely had time to look at either painting from afar before they were thrown into this "incident." Observing the conversation between the others, she once again followed their lead. This was quite the humorous song and dance they were all putting on.

She felt like she wasn't screaming quite enough.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

The group exits the front entrance onto the lawn. The alarm is much quieter out here, but it can still be heard emanating from the house.

Other people soon begin to leave the house. The butler shortly follows your group, and then the Asian woman. Then a young man, a middle-aged man and an elderly woman, and finally a second young man. Everybody is wearing black.

While you can mostly only smell the sea, if you inhale deeply, you can smell a faint trace of smoke or something burning. It's still cloudy, and you shiver a little as the wind picks up. Nobody seems particularly happy about this turn of events.