[DINE] The Den of Deception

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: [DINE] The Den of Deception

Post by Bad Player »

Spoiler : Spyro :
Haru and Nao return to the lounge to find... it has been deserted, except for Anne. Anne stoically stands up and goes with Haru to her room.

In the southern end of the room is a bed with a fancy white bedspread, with a nightstand with a lamp on each side. A TV is mounted on the west wall. There is a desk with a chair, a vanity, and several dressers. There are two chairs and a sofa placed around a glass coffee table with a vase of flowers on it. The desk has a laptop, and there are several difficult-looking medical tomes on the shelf. The desk and shelf are also filled with folders and what appear to be various stray medical documents.
Spoiler : Kwando :
"Umm..." Seth blushes a little. "I g-guess not..." It's pretty clear he'd rather you not, but... a yes is a yes. Mizuki flips through some of the notebooks Seth has out. Like Seth said, they seem to be basically filled with random drawings, sketches of diagrams and schematics for various machines, and some related calculations, along with a few outlines for program codes.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Spoiler : :
"Ah, ok then. Sorry about that, but... Thank you very much for cooperation. Let's return back to the lounge, shall we?"

Mizuki goes back down to the lounge.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Spoiler : Kwando :
Nobody is here.
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Post by Reverie »

Haru examines...
  • The bed: under the sheets, in and around the pillows (obligatory feather check), under the bed itself if possible;
  • Inside the nightstand if it has any compartments;
  • The TV;
  • In the dressers, looking for any spots that might be of further interest;
  • Vanity;
  • The desk;
  • The vase;
  • Check the laptop, expecting it full well to be password protected (again);
  • The medical tomes and scattered documents;

Haru asked Anne:
  • How did you get along with Mr. Levine, in your eyes?
  • Did you know Mr. Levine before all this, or were you only employed after he showed signs of illness?
  • If the former, did you notice any strange behavior from him, or anyone else, since you started working for him?
  • Can you describe your movements in full from last night?
  • Have you heard, seen, or even sensed anything unusual ever since you've been in the mansion?
  • Any further impressions about that riddle?
  • Do you have any suspicions as to who could be behind Gabriel's death? Even multiple suspicions?
  • If not anyone in particular, can you think of a reason someone might've wanted Gabriel dead?
  • Any suspicions about who could be behind the bombing, or who would follow instructions given by Mr. Levine, would also be appreciated.
  • How was your employment? Were you being paid enough for your services?
  • Are you aware of any other person in this mansion being in significant financial trouble?
  • Have you heard any strange rumors regarding anyone in the mansion? Even speculation can help in times like these.
  • Remind me, what symptoms was Mr. Levine exhibit before he died? What was he ill with?
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

• There's nothing under the sheets. This is the same type of down pillows, so you can get a feather from them. There's nothing under the bed.
  • Inside the nightstand is medicine for various common ailments, a box of tissues, a pair of glasses, and some other (uninteresting) assorted items.
  • The TV is a TV.
  • The dressers contain Anne's clothes.
  • The vanity has some make-up, jewelry, and other accessories.
  • The desk has more documents, as well as papers and writing utensils.
  • The vase is ceramic, and has water and a few purple flowers inside it.
  • The laptop is indeed password protected. Anne looks none too pleased abut Haru trying to turn it on without asking her first.
  • As Haru begins to look through the documents, Anne steps in. "Excuse me, but those are confidential patient and research records. I would appreciate it if you skipped over those." The medical tomes appear to be various journals, textbooks, and reference books. They're too difficult to really find out more, but they appear to be related to neurology.
How did you get along with Mr. Levine, in your eyes?
"He was a relatively cooperative patient, so we got along just fine," Anne says matter-of-factly.

Did you know Mr. Levine before all this, or were you only employed after he showed signs of illness?
Anne gives her head a short shake. "I was only hired to help treat his disease. I knew of 'Damien Silvermead,' obviously, but I never met him personally until a few months ago."

If the former, did you notice any strange behavior from him, or anyone else, since you started working for him?

Can you describe your movements in full from last night?

Have you heard, seen, or even sensed anything unusual ever since you've been in the mansion?
Anne ponders this question a few moments. "Well, Daniel certainly had a... unique design sense. But besides that..."

Any further impressions about that riddle?
Anne shakes her head. "I'm a doctor, not a trivia champion."

Do you have any suspicions as to who could be behind Gabriel's death? Even multiple suspicions?
Anne grows very quiet all of a sudden. "Sad... It's so sad," she murmurs, slightly shaking her head. She then says at normal volume, "Unfortunately, I do not."

If not anyone in particular, can you think of a reason someone might've wanted Gabriel dead?
"No... I don't know much about Gabriel, to be honest. I had only met him once before, and he wasn't a frequent topic of conversation here in the mansion. I can't say nobody had a reason... but I certainly don't know of any."

Any suspicions about who could be behind the bombing, or who would follow instructions given by Mr. Levine, would also be appreciated.
"Christian, Nao, and Seth... They were all quite devoted to Daniel, but... I'm not sure they'd be willing to even do something like this for him," Anne says. "Rachel I don't know as well, but I don't think she would do something like that. Asher... I don't think I need to say much. But honestly, I couldn't see any of them doing something like that, requested by Daniel or not."

How was your employment? Were you being paid enough for your services?
Anne gives a curt nod. "I don't wish to brag, but I am a leading neurologist, but the Levines were more than willing to pay the fees required for my intensive care, and have even been accommodating in providing me with the resources to remotely continue with my research."

Are you aware of any other person in this mansion being in significant financial trouble?
Anne shakes her head. "Not that I know much about the particulars of anybody's financial affairs..."

Have you heard any strange rumors regarding anyone in the mansion? Even speculation can help in times like these.
Anne shakes her head.

Remind me, what symptoms was Mr. Levine exhibit before he died? What was he ill with?
"He suffered from a rare genetic disease known as CARASIL," Anne explains. "Physically, muscle stiffness in the legs make movement and walking more difficult. Mentally, the disease affected his emotional disposition, his memory, and thinking ability. CARASIL also greatly increases the risk of stroke. I had been regulating that risk with medication, but..." Anne shakes her head a few times before finishing. "That is unfortunately how he passed."
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Everything about CARASIL seemed to check out with what she'd found before, so...

Haru checks the documents on the desk - are they yet more medical records, or something she might be able to examine in closer detail? If so, she examines the documents.

"About this laptop..." Haru takes her chances.

"Uh, sorry about that, first and foremost. Is there any way you'd be willing to unlock it so I could do a brief search? You can, of course, watch me as I look around."
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Anne frowns. "I don't have anything to hide, but I have confidential medical data on the laptop too, as well as personal documents... I would prefer that you not look, but if you truly insist and believe it's necessary..."
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Having realized there was nothing more for me to do, I moved back to the lounge.
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

"For the sake of the investigation, it's best for us to explore every avenue we have. I know it's a lot to ask, but... I hope you understand."

Haru hands the laptop over to Anne, prompting her to unlock it.

"Thanks." She says, simply.

Haru then checks the laptop.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Spoiler : Kwando+DWaM :
Edwam enters the lounge. Him and Mizuki are the only two here.
Anne is clearly not happy about this, but reluctantly types in the password and hands the laptop back to Haru. Anne looks over Haru's shoulder as she investigates the laptop, and shoos Haru away from certain files. From what Haru looks though, everything seems to be in order, with her documents mostly appearing to be medical and research files, and her most-visited websites are email, news, and some medicine-related sites.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Spoiler : Cool Kids (no Spyros allowed) :
"Oh, hello Edwam. Do you know where everyone went? And, well, I guess... What did you find out?"

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Haru finishes browsing the laptop, thanking Anne with a warm smile and hoping that'd ease the tension. She then returned to the lounge.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Haru enters the lounge. The trio is reunited!
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Having gotten over the disappointment and annoyance over everyone deciding to go wandering around while there was a killer on the loose, I pulled us aside to discuss the case privately, just in case someone had come along or was about to enter the room.

"I'm afraid I don't really have anything noteworthy to report." I said, shrugging. "Rachel told me interesting tidbits here and there. She works in real-estate, works in Arizona, has some sort of financial trouble (nothing major according to her, though), came here about two months ago, divorced, can't think of any obvious suspect. She seems to hold Daniel in a slightly higher regard than Asher. By which I mean, a lot. Last night, she was reading on the 2nd floor lounge before heading off to bed."

I crossed my arms.

"As for Gabriel's room - I'd paid it a visit yesterday, as I mentioned. Nothing was out of place or different aside from the fact that the bed was unmade."

I leaned against the wall.

"That feather is really starting to bother me. It's obvious it came from a pillow, but... I can't think of how. Was Gabe sleeping in his own bed, and then accidentally caught a feather in his pyjamas? I guess it's possible. Another possibility is that someone at some point had used a pillow to perhaps suffocate him, but then the question becomes - why not just leave him in his bed or something? Why put him up on display like that? It doesn't make sense. Not to mention, he would've probably been a huge pain to carry. And with so many people potentially around to catch you doing it, I just can't see it happening.

The only alternative is that, while the feather was definitely from one of the pillows, it got on him through some other means. We have to keep in mind only one feather was found, so it's not like a pillow blew up on the scene or something.

There's a possibility that Gabe himself had been rummaging through pillows. God knows why, of course. I checked the pillows in my rooms and found nothing to note. I doubt you two had much more luck. So maybe he was looking through some dirty or spare ones? I don't know, just an idea.

Another possibility is that the culprit was the one to mess around with some pillows, and accidentally got a feather on them, which ultimately transferred over to Gabe.

Either way, I'd like to see if there are more pillows in this mansion to be looked through.

As for what happened... Well...

I don't think Gabe was forced out of his room. There's no signs of struggle and it would've been difficult to carry him, much less force him downstairs without raising an uproar. No, I think he went to the treasure room of his own accord. The question is, though - what got him out of his bed? Had someone come to his room and invited him downstairs? Or was it something else?"

I shrugged.

"Either way, he ended up where he did. As for who... at the moment, your guess' as good as mine."

I blinked.

"...Sorry. I got a bit carried away. What did you guys find?"
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Mizuki stood there for a few moments, absorbing, listening, taking in what Edwam just said. Though, it was only at most a few seconds, it certainly seemed like a much much longer period of time had passed before she gave her own inputs.

"Let's see... I first went to visit Christian's room and interviewed him. Looked around his room, but... Nothing really stood out to me. Seemed like a pretty standard room to me. Clothes inside dressers, a super clean bed... That type of stuff. He had some branded stationary, and some other items, but... Really, nothing stood out. The view from his room was pretty standard - the rainy remains of the living room, and the forest and oceans beyond that as well. I also checked his pillow, and, unsurprisingly, the feather seemed to match the style of the pillow..."

"Talking to Christian didn't really reveal too too much either. He said that he finished off some work in the study, went to sleep, then woke up, ate breakfast, tended to the plants in the conservatory, and then discovered the body. He claims not to have made any attempt at the riddle, nor does he have any idea who would have any disagreements with him. Mentioned that both Rachel and Daniel have had disagreements with Gabriel in the past, but he says that those were just normal sibling quibbles more than anything."

"As for Christian's relationship with others? Says that he was close with Seth and Asher, playing the role of whatever best suits them. Wasn't too well acquainted with Rachel. Would consider himself friends with Nao. And, well, that he's been working for Gabriel for a long long looooong time - ever since he was a young magician."

"So, after that, I went to interview Seth and investigate his room. His room had a bit more personality than Christian's room, honestly - seemed to be pretty interested in science and technology. Had posters of famous inventors like Tesla, engineering books, screwdrivers, tools, all that type of stuff. Had some old machines as well. Was pretty neat, actually. From his room, you could see the forest out to the east, and a bit of the house to the west. And, of course, the feather matched his pillow as well..."

"As for my interview with him? Again, nothing really elucidating. He says he just stayed in his room all night, until breakfast. Didn't really notice anything different about anyone. Doesn't know who would have any motive to kill Gabriel. You know, just... a bunch of short terse answers. Though, one thing was a bit particular - when I asked about how his relationship was with the rest of the family, though he replied that it was fine... He seemed a bit evasive there, looking away from me."

"And, after that... Well, came back here, and listened to what you found. Guess that we don't really have very many clues yet, huh."

She went and turned to Haru.

"How about you? Did you get any juicy tidbits or anything?"