RP: Requiem of the Shadows - And Then You Hated The GM

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

deHughes
Spoken languages: English

RP: Requiem of the Shadows - And Then You Hated The GM

Post by deHughes »

Preface
Hello boys and girls, and welcome to RP time. For those of you not in the know, there is a style of RP called "Mafia" in which 2 factions exist. Each player is assigned one, and in secret, acts for that factions benefit. This style was heavily expanded on by our own, Hodou Okappa, with his RP "The Haruhism Game". This RP combined social interaction on the forums, plot, battles, powers, and the mafia mindset to create an amazing game. Seeing how little this style of game is played on these forums, only one, I decided to start my own to give the RP board more variety. So kick back and read on if this sounds interesting. 'Cuz it's gonna get really long starting now.

To quote Kappa,
Kappa wrote:The game is played across two settings. The first is this thread, which serves as the RP center for all PUBLIC interactions between characters. However, any time a conversation or situation takes place that must be kept private (or for some other reason, simply is,) it will happen in PMs between the members (with me added in as an overseer.)
The Story
Spoiler : :
Inaba; a peaceful and small city in west Japan. It's what you would call a normal town: different districts of homes, business area, mall, park, small mine on the city’s border. Life as a student isn't so bad. Adults commonly work away, leaving you alone often. Hanging out late without consequence is the norm. All and all, life seems good for your average high school student.

But soon, you start to see changes: people vanish, attitudes change, reality itself bends before your eyes; but no one notices anything different. No one, except a small handful of high school students from Class B. But not even innocent teenagers are above the grasp of the changes. A full-blown war will be held in the shadows to determine the fate of poor little Inaba, with those able to remember acting as the soldiers.

Characters
Now what is an RP without characters to role-play as? When you sign up for this game, you get to make yourself a character for this game. You only get one though, so be careful. In this game, death can strike at any time...

That being said, there are guidelines you must follow for your characters. I will kindly list all these guidelines now. Cuz I'm a kind GM.

Rule 1) You must be a high school student. * It's a contrivance for letting you all be together. Get used to it.

Rule 2) No backstory. *Much like Haruhi, backstories are things of secret until your role is assigned. And each role comes with a backstory. Please note, you are allowed to act as if you had a backstory, but be aware, it is not true; it is simply an act of cover-up for later in the game. So don’t make anything ridiculous; by “You can act like you do” I mean a pretty average backstory, nothing grand.

Rule 3) Try and make it Japanese. * This is basically just a personal thing, but it also relates to the game. The setting is Japan, and the game relies heavily on that. The game acts on the country’s culture, mythology, and the assumption that your family has been here for at least a whole generation. And note: most small cities aren't filled to the brim with immigrants, just a small amount. It is perfectly acceptable however, to not use honorifics.

Rule 4) Give an application. * As GM, there are certain things that may interfere with the story planned. Like something being far too out of the norm to work, *cough cough* Wearing a robe, pink backpack, and a pool cue around *cough* and they will need to change.

Rule 5) Have fun. * With all those said, make the character what you want it to be. If you want him to be a weeaboo, make a weeaboo. If you want him to be a novel buff, do it! You want her to be a women, that is so rare in RP'ing, but go ahead! I don't want to cockblock you everywhere. Just certain angles. Don't head at 175 degrees and we're all good!

Application

- Character Name:
- Attitude:

Factions
Vital in every Mafia based RP are the factions. You need a "Good" and "Bad" side, of course knowing me, it'll be a matter of which grey is more black. :3

As your character's will learn, there are 4 "factions" in this game. Only 3 are player controlled however. I recommend you read all faction's details, but make sure to read Overseer, Student and the faction you get put in, at the very least.

Overseer
My role. I, the GM, act as the narrator and overseer to all events in game. I will choose when to transition into phases, as well as hand out roles, give descriptions for locations, control NPC's and move the game along.

Any private conversations must include me, and you must PM me if you wish to use your abilities. If you have any questions regarding the game, I will also answer those. I may always assign orders to Students, which you must try to fulfill.
Student
The basic role everyone is given at the start of the game. This is your basic transition role; you have nothing for you except what is on the character application. You are also unaware of the grand scheme's lurking into the shadows due to your vanilla nature. As a student, act unbiased and unaware until you receive your role.

Note: You may receive orders to follow from me. It is your job to follow these until instructed otherwise.
The Resistance
A dark force lurks in the shadows of Inaba, and has for a very long time. Shady acts have been talk of the town for many years, and while most citizens are either unaware or supporting of these deeds, some have chosen to fight back. In the same darkness this force hides in, lies a group constantly trying it stop it: The Resistance. The Resistance seek to bring normality back to Inaba once and for all, ridding it of it's shadowy menace.

Over time, Students minds will cease to be fogged and blocked, they will remember who they were and what they stood for. Numerous will come to the conclusion that they serve the Resistance, and while their backstories may differ, their purpose is the same. Save the town of Inaba from being consumed by the Darkness.

Resistance members mind's are still fairly groggy after having their memories resorted. Some may remember their allies, some may not. Some acted alone in the first place. But now in a time of war, solo work becomes increasingly dangerous. If you are a member of the Resistance and suspect someone is too, contact them privately and begin forging an alliance. Together you can put up a facade of ignorance, and reach your goals in secret.

As a Member of the Resistance, you are often seen as a hero. Facing what is seen as evil by the masses. And because of this perception of the Darkness, Resistance members are able to recruit students into their ranks. When recruited, the Student is given a surge of power from the Heavens and is granted powers of their own. But be aware, if you try to recruit a Faithful, they can easily act as a double agent and actually harm your cause from the inside.

Actions

- Stop the Madness(once per day, can't be used in the same day as Clear the Sands) (Requires 3 Resistance)
Once a day, the Resistance may choose to kill one player if they are convinced he is Faithful. You must have 3 votes for killing the player before the deed is carried out. But be careful, if you accidentally kill a Student or Resistance, the action is counted as a failed attack and the Faithful get a free action.

- Clears the Sands(Once per day, can't be used in the same day as Stop the Uprising) (Requires 2 Resistance)
In the Night phase, 2 Resistance players may team up and enter the Plains. Here they search around the area until they find a Orb of Darkness. They may then destroy it and send the Plains back to Level 1. The Orb will always be in an area where a lot of events are transpiring. (Ex: NPC Ted is murdered in the Windmill, the players have been investigating the Wind Mill, it is likely the orb is in the Wind Mill.)

- Expand the Armada(Faction Action; Once a Day)
Any Resistance Member can use this at any time without the agreement of their faction members; however that will remove all other opportunities for the day. If used on a Student it will make them a member of the Resistance. However if used on a Faithful, they may actually pretend to be a new member of the Resistance, so be careful.

In addition to these powers, each Resistance member will gain their own unique set of powers.

The Faithful
Some fear the "Darkness", call it evil and unholy. But you know the truth. The Darkness has been here for eons, watching and protecting. It is a force of good, and you will gladly serve it until the day you die. You follow it whole-heartedly and will do whatever it takes to make sure that it rises to the power it deserves.

Over time, Students minds will cease to be fogged and blocked, they will remember who they were and what they stood for. Numerous will come to the conclusion that they are Faithful and while their backstories may differ, their purpose is the same. Defeat the Resistance and allow for the Darkness to reign supreme.

The Faithful's mind's are still fairly groggy after having their memories resorted. Some may remember their allies, some may not. Some acted alone in the first place. But now in a time of war, solo work becomes increasingly dangerous. If you are a Faithful and suspect someone is too, contact them privately and begin forging an alliance. Together you can put up a facade of ignorance, and reach your goals in secret.

As a Faithful, you are bound to no moral code; as long as the Darkness consumes, you are serving your cause. And thus, Faithful may kill any role without consequence. But be aware, killing a student or fellow Faithful may only bring the Resistance closer to it's goals. You may also enter the Plains at will in the Night phases.

Actions

- End the Resistance(requires at least 3 Faithful OR requires a majority vote after failed Resistance attacks)
Faithful can kill Resistance members. To do so you must either wait for Resistance to kill an innocent/attack, but fail to kill a Faithful OR convince 2 other Faithful that they should kill said player.

Purify the World(requires at least 3 Faithful OR requires a majority vote after failed Resistance attacks)
Instead of using End the Resistance, Faithful can use can trigger Purify the World. This ability will kill a random player in the game, Resistance, Student or Faithful. Despite the risk there is a good reward. Instead of going up only one level, the Plains will go up by two.

*In the situation of a failed attack triggering an action, each Faithful will be alerted in private. There they choose which action to vote for. If End the Resistance is chosen, the Faithful can converse via the Plains as to who to eliminate; however they will be unaware of who the people they are conversing with are.

In addition to these powers, each Faithful will gain their own unique set of powers.
Phases
This game takes places through "Days" and each day has 2 phases: day and night. They transition when I, the GM believe enough progress was made for the day. Here is a more in-depth look into what each phase brings.

Day
- You start the Day phase in school. Here everything is potentially public. If you look at texts or whisper about plans here, it is likely someone will see and start blurting out about it. So be careful if you chose to do such actions.

- The School is just a starting place, there are no lectures or messages you need to wait for. Think of it as Group HQ, you all converge there to plan out what you'll do today. Feel free to converse as it will not affect "class".

- Once you feel you are ready, you may leave school and head elsewhere, usually relating to the plot. Whether you go alone or together with other players is up to you. *I personally recommend that players just stick together as one "Investigation Team. It just flows nicely then, and you don't seem as suspicious. *

- Once I feel enough progress has been made in the story, Night Phase begins.
Night
- Night phase is when actions are performed privately. You can meet up and form alliance, go on killing sprees, investigate further independently; whatever you wish is pretty much game.

- Once you feel you are done for the night, simply head home. This is done by just writing so in your PM conversations. Once everyone is at home, Night ends and a new day begins.
The Plains
The Plains is a strange world; overlapping the human world, and yet not visible by humans. Here is where the Darkness sleeps, and is the holy ground for Faithful.

At the end of every night, the Plains will rise one level, and once they reach level 5, the shadow can enter the human world. The Plains start at Level 1, and can be returned to that state if the Resistance can use a successful Calm the Sands. Faithful can enter the Plains at will, but Resistance must be in groups of at least 2 to enter.

If the Plains reach Level 5, they become shut off and only certain individuals may enter. They must meet a unique requirement in order to send the Plains back to Level 1. If the Plains are in Level 5 for a whole day, then the Darkness crosses realms, resulting in a Faithful victory.

It is rumored that somewhere in the Plains lies an artifact keeping its connection with the human world open. If you were to destroy that item, it may very well destroy the Plains.
The Privacy Factor
Everything that occurs regarding this game must include me in the PM. If you are talking about the game in the xatbox or some other chat, you can leave me out of it, but you must cover it in-game again for your character's to know it.

Any private conversations held through voice are at risk of being heard by other players in the same area. Private conversations via word(texts, in-game chat clients, etc.) may have a passing player see the screen. Plan carefully where and how you'll meet and what you have as a safeguard to prevent information leakage. (IE. Cell Phones have a small screen, making it harder to peak off of, a room's walls blocking noise)

Side-Note: I do actually have a system to keep peaking fair. 20 sided dice FTW.
Win Conditions
- The Resistance win when they can either close off the Plains completely(getting it to Level 0) or making sure the only people alive are Resistance or Students.

- The Faithful win when the Plains exist as Level 5 for a whole day, or making sure the only living players are Faithful or Students.

- Students are transition roles and cannot win.

*Each session of the game will also have a unique goal for both factions to complete in order to win. This shall make planning and organizing victory more deep, with further possibilities of how the events will play out.
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes~
First off, if you don’t get the reference, shame on you. Now on to important matters. In order to keep the game unique every time it’s played, different threads will be touched upon. In one game, a main plot point may lie hidden in the mines. But in the next, the mines are a mere red herring, and the school is where the true mystery lies.

Different roles will also be assigned each game, to relate to the plot at hand. One game may leave you with the ability to creates sparks at will; and another might give you the power of lots and lots of guns.

Lastly, as mentioned above, each session of the game will have a unique win condition to provide variety in how the game is played.

Seeing as this is the first game, none of this matters, but it’s nice to know how to plan for the future!

Players
Akira Kagekami (Shadowsleuth)
Heako Kearagi (Drey Wilkens)
Jean Malebrote (TwiGav) RESISTANCE, Killed by Faithful
Shiori Kimura (Wackyman)
Kokoro Ito (GuardianDreamer)
Saori Saikyou (Blackrune)
Moshi Maida (Hodou Okappa)
Yasui Yuko (Master of Chaos)
Harlan Durzan (The Crusader of 42)
Shugo Tenshai (Whirlwind)
Ryuji Onozuka (Patchouli)
Yuzu Sasaki (BBblader)
Tath Ki Rukusodo (Contemplator)
Mi Yung (Cooliodude)

Former Players
Minoru Akihiro (Gombarry)
Riu Young (Kruiser666)
Last edited by deHughes on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:27 am, edited 25 times in total.
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
Sleuth

Re: RP: Requiem of the Shadows(Sign-Up Phase)

Post by Sleuth »

This sounds really fun! I did get the reference, and since I've never been able to play Persona 4, this should make for a good substitute! Count me in!
Spoiler : Character Application :
- Character Name: Akira Kagekami
- Physical Appearance: Short black hair, pitch-black eyes, navy blue jacket, and blue jeans. Has multiple copies of this outfit and wears the same thing daily. He has a few scars on him, though no one is sure whether they were from fights or self-inflicted. Always smiling rather darkly.
- Attitude: Mostly anti-social and cynical, but he is almost always smiling. He says and does random things for seemingly no reason, such as breaking out into maniacal laughter, leading others to believe he is insane. Cheerful and friendly around people he likes. Is very intelligent, but often hides it with his aforementioned craziness. Has a fixation with knives and other sharp things. He dislikes fighting, but will defend himself if necessary. Hates sports to the point of going out of his way to destroy sports equipment.
Last edited by Sleuth on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Crusader Of 42

Post by The Crusader Of 42 »

Ok, no 7 foot tall robed man... Got it :larry:
Name: Harlan Aspernamentum
Apearance: 6 feet eigth inches tall. Has long messy black hair, and cold grey eyes.
Very pale and skinny. Always wears a worn, black greatcoat, with thousands of pockets.
Attitude: Harlan pretty much hates everything. He is very clever, manipulative and cynicial. he is quick to anger, and can easily catch people off guard with blasphemous threats and rants.
"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now."

Kruiser666

Post by Kruiser666 »

Spoiler : Character App :
Character Name: Riu young (It’s not very original but... It’s hard to think of a Japanese name.)
- Physical Appearance: He is short, wears black jeans and a hooded black and white checkered light jacket. Underneath he wears a plain black shirt.
- Attitude: In short terms he's a clever nut-case, who will talk to himself and is always jumpy with new ideas. He doesn't play good with new people but is fine with his friends. His personality is hidden and lock away from public. Deep inside his thoughts ramble on with dark, dark idea and expirimeants.
EDIT: Hope you don't mind. I wanted to be different that everyone else.
Last edited by Kruiser666 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASHES ARE KEY
Creator of Jax, Wild, The Mayor and Nina from RP:Endless Time.
Creator of Brooke Pearson and Markess Holloway from RP:Cold State.
Creator of Kerenth Miller from RP:Infinite Odyssey.
Creator of Kruiser666, Trigen and Chance from RP:Where Anything Goes.
User of Captain America and Sam Fisher in RP: Dimensional Chaos.
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

Shadow and Kruiser have both been approved. Crusader, knowing you IRL, are the reason for the applications. You crazy, crazy bowl of oatmeal. Knock Harlan by a few inches(5'5" is good if you're gonna go for a grand reference) and he'll be able yo have his mouth, and scream. Also be accepted. :wink:
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
Drey Wilkins
Spoken languages: English + Scraps of Russian

Post by Drey Wilkins »

Gah! Everyone is taking the antisocial loner! Never the less, I wish to go this way as well *cough*sheep*cough*
Spoiler : Character App :
- Character Name: Heako Kearagi (He-a-co, Kea-Ragi)

- Physical Appearance: http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3807 ... earagi.jpg
(Note: He is shown as pale, and has an earpiece for a cell phone.

- Attitude: Heako is very quiet, and extremely pale. He speaks seldom and has no real friends. He is extremely smart, normally able to reason out and realise important facts much faster than others.

Avatar and signature made by the wonderful Holhol.
LunchPolice
Spoken languages: English, Namekian, Pezazulian

Post by LunchPolice »

At this rate, none of the characters are going to start talking to each other :mrgreen:
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
Drey Wilkins

Post by Drey Wilkins »

LunchPolice wrote:
At this rate, none of the characters are going to start talking to each other :mrgreen:

We may have a problem here.

Kruiser666

Post by Kruiser666 »

I'm changing my character app. Hope you don't mind :roll:
ASHES ARE KEY
Creator of Jax, Wild, The Mayor and Nina from RP:Endless Time.
Creator of Brooke Pearson and Markess Holloway from RP:Cold State.
Creator of Kerenth Miller from RP:Infinite Odyssey.
Creator of Kruiser666, Trigen and Chance from RP:Where Anything Goes.
User of Captain America and Sam Fisher in RP: Dimensional Chaos.
Drey Wilkins

Post by Drey Wilkins »

To be not a loner?

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Well, I was here first! So you're all MY sheep. :twisted:
Just kidding, I just like the archtype. Anyways, I'll change my app a bit to make him a bit more unique.

...Tomorrow.
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Name: Jean Malebrote
School Year: 9th grade/or Year 9 for you British folks
Appearence: Usually wears all of the same color. For example, all light blue one day, all pink the next, etc. Green eyes. Skin as pale as the moon.
Other: Is an otaku. :P
Attitude: When others are quiet, he always starts to dance for no reason. People view him as a laidback guy, who always seems to be crossing lines.
Yesterday, he squirted mustard on the school wall. Despite this, he has 4 outside-of-school friends! He tries to make friends in school, but to no avail...
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Drey Wilkins

Post by Drey Wilkins »

BTW, I'm not entirely sure (th grade translates into Year 9. For us in NZ, Year 9= 12/13 Years old. 14 at the very most.

Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Ah, because in Americaland, it's 14.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

Spoiler : Character app :
- Character Name: Shiori Kimura
- Persona: Susano-o
- Physical Appearance: Brunette hair that falls to her shoulders and crimson eyes. She is moderate height. Typically wears sunglasses and her school uniform.
- Attitude: She is very mature, serious, and tends to be the voice of reason. She normally won't talk unless addressed to directly. She has a few friends and tends to be more relaxed and cheerful when around them.
Last edited by Wackyman on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.