RP: Demon Channeler [OOC]

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Wolf Speaker
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

RP: Demon Channeler [OOC]

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Feel free to ask any questions about demon channeling, IT's, or anything else regarding the RP. Also post sign-ups here.
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

Re: RP: Demon Channeler [OOC]

Post by Sleuth »

AT LONG LAST.

Let me reserve my post in advance.

I DON'T CARE IF I HAVE TOO MANY RPS THIS IS TOO GOOD TO PASS UP.
paradoxinparticles
Spoken languages: English, French

Post by paradoxinparticles »

Oh man this looks AMAZING! I'll work on my character and apply soon :D:D:D
call me Parrie

"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear and will let it pass through me."
-Frank Herbert

I make boxart now
Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

I shall join. Even if I've only played DS2 I must join this because it looks so damn cool.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

My Disciple, kindly reserve a spot for me.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Wolf Speaker

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Sure, sure. :'D Nice to see that this has garnered so much interest.

EDIT: I just wanted to specify: in the OP, I mistakenly wrote 'This can only be done once.' This refers to a Familiar contract, not to the number of times you can summon your Familiar.

EDIT: No doubt other SMT game fans will want to join later, and there aren't many slots available. To which I can only say: quality > first come, first serve. Sorry guys, this will no doubt make me sad as well, but ON/OFF has taught me that I really can't handle too many people, and even if you've reserved, if somebody else has a better SU than you, then I'm afraid I'll have to pick them over you. I feel bad for Mono, though... gone to sleep before he could even see this. But that's just the thing. Timezones don't make first come, first serve fair for a lot of people. So I really have to prioritize good writing skills here.
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

Geez, I would join, but the RP itself blamed me for my writing skills (that are not the best ones) T___T Isn't an RP just about having fun? And why only 7 spots and one is AUTO-Taken?

Edit: And geez, why would you want two paragraphs for the personality? Personality usually develops through the RP... and deciding that off the bat is kind of weird. I mean, sure, I understand your point that they have to had a reason for their decision, but - why put that in the personality, too? Can't you just make a Backstory part? Or put that in "History"?
Last edited by Mono on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

I'll leave this one to the fans of the series, given how few spots there are. Have fun.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

$Fth

Post by $Fth »

Reserved.
And all the carries and junglers will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper...
"MORDE ES NUMERO UNO HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE"
Bad Player wrote:In comparison, you put objects in bags.
Just call me Ike.
Master Of Chaos

Mono-Kirisame wrote:Geez, I would join, but the RP itself blamed me for my writing skills (that are not the best ones) T___T Isn't an RP just about having fun? And why only 7 spots and one is AUTO-Taken?

Edit: And geez, why would you want two paragraphs for the personality? Personality usually develops through the RP... and deciding that off the bat is kind of weird. I mean, sure, I understand your point that they have to had a reason for their decision, but - why put that in the personality, too? Can't you just make a Backstory part? Or put that in "History"?
Gotta agree with Mono here. The idea of picking people to be in an RP based on their ap (I think? You never specified how you would select people) leaves tons of room for bias and unfairness. And while I understand that you don't want to have people just type one line sentences all the time, taking only who you think is the best really isn't fair to other people. People will only improve their writing skills if they are given the chance, and if they are not, well....... :?

Also, yeah, I don't see why two paragraphs are necessary for the ap. Again, I can see why you would want it to be detailed, but it's not like people are going to just write a one sentence personality for the ap (At least I hope they wouldn't). People usually plan their characters out to an extend, but most of the time they haven't thought of every single detail about said characters. It's very common that the personality from the ap and from the character itself end up to be very different from each other.

Also, I think SMT universe knowledge should be a recommended, but not required detail. I mean sure, it's nice to know and all, but I don't think it should prohibit new players who haven't played any of the games from joining an RP they think looks fun.
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
$Fth

Post by $Fth »

Master Of Chaos wrote:
Mono-Kirisame wrote:Geez, I would join, but the RP itself blamed me for my writing skills (that are not the best ones) T___T Isn't an RP just about having fun? And why only 7 spots and one is AUTO-Taken?

Gotta agree with Mono here. The idea of picking people to be in an RP based on their ap (I think? You never specified how you would select people) leaves tons of room for bias and unfairness. And while I understand that you don't want to have people just type one line sentences all the time, taking only who you think is the best really isn't fair to other people. People will only improve their writing skills if they are given the chance, and if they are not, well....... :?

Also, yeah, I don't see why two paragraphs are necessary for the ap. Again, I can see why you would want it to be detailed, but it's not like people are going to just write a one sentence personality for the ap (At least I hope they wouldn't). People usually plan their characters out to an extend, but most of the time they haven't thought of every single detail about said characters. It's very common that the personality from the ap and from the character itself end up to be very different from each other.

Also, I think SMT universe knowledge should be a recommended, but not required detail. I mean sure, it's nice to know and all, but I don't think it should prohibit new players who haven't played any of the games from joining an RP they think looks fun.
Well, for one thing, it's first come first serve, not Wolfy picking people at random. Next, it's pretty reasonable to me to request that people only sign up if they plan on actually writing more than a few sentences per post considering that it's her RP and she has the right to set a quality bar as she sees fit.

And, as for the personality thing, I can understand thinking that it's hard to make a personality more than a paragraph long considering how much of a person is determined through character development but it shouldn't be hard in the first place unless your person has all the personality of a piece of cardboard. I mean, think of yourself now, you have a personality that you could probably describe in more than two paragraphs but, in the future, it'll have changed and evolved into something different. Sure, your person's personality may change and be more and more presented through development but it still has to start somewhere and it's important that you have a character that is interesting to read and write as early on or you'll never have the opportunity to REACH the later stages where he's fully developed.
And all the carries and junglers will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper...
"MORDE ES NUMERO UNO HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE"
Bad Player wrote:In comparison, you put objects in bags.
Just call me Ike.
Master Of Chaos

$Fth wrote:Well, for one thing, it's first come first serve, not Wolfy picking people at random. Next, it's pretty reasonable to me to request that people only sign up if they plan on actually writing more than a few sentences per post considering that it's her RP and she has the right to set a quality bar as she sees fit.

And, as for the personality thing, I can understand thinking that it's hard to make a personality more than a paragraph long considering how much of a person is determined through character development but it shouldn't be hard in the first place unless your person has all the personality of a piece of cardboard. I mean, think of yourself now, you have a personality that you could probably describe in more than two paragraphs but, in the future, it'll have changed and evolved into something different. Sure, your person's personality may change and be more and more presented through development but it still has to start somewhere and it's important that you have a character that is interesting to read and write as early on or you'll never have the opportunity to REACH the later stages where he's fully developed.
EDIT: No doubt other SMT game fans will want to join later, and there aren't many slots available. To which I can only say: quality > first come, first serve. Sorry guys, this will no doubt make me sad as well, but ON/OFF has taught me that I really can't handle too many people, and even if you've reserved, if somebody else has a better SU than you, then I'm afraid I'll have to pick them over you. I feel bad for Mono, though... gone to sleep before he could even see this. But that's just the thing. Timezones don't make first come, first serve fair for a lot of people. So I really have to prioritize good writing skills here.
Again, like I said, that's not a bad thing, and I encourage people writing a lot more than one line of text per post. However, I'd like to know how Wolf is choosing from sign ups. Less Grammatical errors, more words, etc. As you can see by that line above, it ISN'T first come first serve.

Anddddd Again, I never suggested that the characters didn't have to have some personality to them, but still, I feel that two paragraphs is a bit much. Though I think of a paragraph as having 6 sentences at the very least, so meh.

Wolf Speaker

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Huh... once again, I'm hit with the differences between here and PC... this is a pretty standard way of doing it. It's not your writing skill per se: it's how much effort you put in your app. Look at ON/OFF: I kept on missing posts, and there were about eight players then. So now I've narrowed it down to six. From my experience, writing your character's personality actually helps you understand them. You're not supposed to think, "oh, I have to write two paragraphs". I don't want you to write filler in order to reach that quota. But I want you to think about how your character would reaction in different situations. It's much easier to get into your character's head then. Like, most people just write about how their charas act normally. How about their goals, their fears, their likes, their dislikes, do they act weird sometimes, etc. Yes, an RP is about having fun... but it's also writing. And as a writer, I uphold a certain standard.

I personally think you'll be fine, Mono. Like I said, it's not about how pretty your descriptions are. It's about how much actual effort and thought went into your app. Be creative, make a fun character, not a generic one. But the thing is, every character archetype has been done already. So you'll need to add more details, to flesh your character out more to distinguish him/her from other already existing characters. An RP is a writing exercise for me. It's a fun way to challenge myself and improve my writing skills. And it teaches you to build good characters. I'm not asking for a bazillion lines. I just think that two paragraphs isn't as long as you think. I mean, look at what you guys have just written!

Oh, and sure, personality and history sometimes overlap. But, well, if you want something, if there's something driving you, that's personality, isn't it? Of course, you can mention it/expand on it in history too if you want. And Chaos, it's explicitly written in the rules that SMT knowledge is recommended but not required. I'm not sure how selecting people based on their apps is being biased... isn't it the opposite? When you generally accept people you like? I dunno, it seems a lot more objective to me. Your app is the proof of all the work, effort, or thought you put into this. Proof that you really will have lasting interest in the RP. You don't need to constantly churn out high-quality, five-paragraph posts in the RP. That would be exhausting. But basically, your app is the best you have to show right now. I'm not asking for previous RP experience, or anything. Though... do people even do that here?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Chaos. And, well, that explains a lot. xD You don't need 6 lines. I'm just saying, three is just not enough for it to be considered a paragraph. I'm fine with four or five.
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
cooliodude
Spoken languages: English, French, Spanish

Post by cooliodude »

Do you have to have knowledge of the series this is based on to play this RP? Cause I'd like to join but if you do need the knowledge then I don't think I'll join.
† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

~~Married to ZetaAzuel~~

Check out Cooliodude's Timeline for an awesome RPing experience.

Spicy lady farther down :D

I've always wanted to have some nice Yak butter tea with a nice steak with some toadstools and gravy on top

Creator of Mi Yung in Requiem of the Shadows
Creator of Yui Sung in The Haruhism game
Creator of Sawyer Wellington in Town of the Extraordinary
Creator of Gustovinik Smirkov in my RP, Shadow Brothers
Creator of John Rodney in my RP, Shadow Brothers
Creator of Miitock in my RP A Bloodline Crushed
Creator of Jean-Luc in the RP Endless Time

ImageImage
Master Of Chaos

Can I use Dante as my familiar?