Whodunnit: Devil Round

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Whodunnit: Devil Round

Post by DWaM »

This game is played between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM - Central European Time, West African Time (UTC + 1)!
Alright, as most of you are familiar with (well, most of you insane enough to participate/take interest in this probably already know that this is "Whodunnit" - a murder mystery game. Of course, that much is already known, hell, after five rounds, most of you pretty much know the drill. ...While we're on that subject, I've noticed that the standard 'drill' has become the killer's guaranteed win from either the survivor's lack of information/just plain out stabbing in the dark, no amtter how complex the crime may be. So - you know what? The sixth round is going to be a bit different! Welcome... to Whodunnit: Devil Round (AKA, Let's make the killer suffer)! And, no, the fancy new name isn't the only thing I'm brining along with me! This round will be an experimental round in which I, as the original game master, will add numerous new rules to try and bring some balance between killer-survivor battle. Some of these might be of positive nature, some might be of negative - I ask you to pay attention to these and give me some feedback on them, so I can both determine if we should perhaps play the rest of the rounds this way, take just some of the rules from this round and apply them to the standard game, or just go back to the good ol' days. The work on the actual game is yet to be started, for now I want general feedback and thoughts on these changes.

Backstory
???

How It Works
Don't worry, it's nothing too complex. At the beginning of the game, the GM (me) will select the killer (obviously). Naturally, the other players will be oblivious to his existence. At the start of the game, you will also be provided with a map of the building where the game takes place which you will be free to explore. There are two possible ways for this game to be won:
The killer will win if he's able to kill all the other members without being caught.
The members win if they are able to pinpoint the killer.
Doors can be broken down if a majority of the living layers have voted and a majority of that majority vote to break the door down.
The killer's methods may range from locked rooms to a massacre. It's completely up to him/her. The killer will, however, PM me about the murder method and who he intends to kill. When that happens, a a blackout will occur. During this blackout, their characters will lose all track of their movements and their locations will be unknown to each other. The 'victims' for each blackout will be sent a PM 'You are dead'. (A bit anticlimactic, I know, but...). They will also be informed of any actions the killer might've wanted them to take before they get... uhm... hacked off. Once the killer selects you - that's it. You're done for. If he wants you to do something reasonable that will benefit his trick, you'll do it whether you like it or not. In other words, this could be used for some great manipulation by the killer. It's all a matter of creativity.

Being the killer offers you two benefits aside from that:
The killer gains the complete map of the building where the game takes place, including any secret passages, should they exist.
The killer gets to PM me of any secret actions (actions that other members will not be aware of, such as inspecting certain thing, taking certain things, etc.,etc.).

There's also a bit of an interesting condition for the innocent side - you win if you figure out the killer and if you are able to solve his crimes in entirety. In other words, if someone like Blackrune (;D) were to come along, and locked rooms started to pop up, you would still need to actually solve them. Can't accuse without proof!

Standard, Previous Round Rules (Unchanged)
The GM has all the normal GM rights. If something goes wrong, the GM can fix it. For instance, if it turns out that there are way too many rooms, the GM can magically close some of them off.
This mystery cannot be solved without clues that are not presented! In other words, while you are playing as you, you still can't use clues another person found until he/she tells you about it.
The killer's must've at least seen tools he uses to pull off his kills. If he has seen them and taken them with him secretly, then he can just use them at the time of the killing. If he has seen it but not taken it, he has to incorporate how he was able to get the weapon in his description of the crime.
At the start of each round, I will select a player I will call the 'detective'. That person has the right to use three secret actions. (In other words, do something that the other players and the killer himself is unaware of.)
The killer has the right to select an accomplice. This accomplice does not have to be revealed in the revealing of the solution. This accomplice cannot kill.
This accomplice is allowed to stay alive at the end (in other words, the killer doesn't have to kill him).
The killer has 12 Hours to kill everyone.
Time won't move in real-time, obviously. (In other words, I'll decide when I believe time should move forward.)
From the start, the killer has the right for ONE blackout per hour.
When the clock reaches the 12th hour and the killer failed to kill everyone, the killer has lost. However! During this time, other members will be forced to make their choice of the killer and explain the mystery. Should their answer be incorrect, nobody wins.
The killer's actions MUST be possible within his physical limitations (you can't just get out of a locked room like a magician...)
Label your actions with green, please. It would make things much easier:

Code: Select all

[color=#008000][b][/b][/color]
All of the entrants, please keep your online status hidden while playing.
The culprit cannot pickpocket during the blackout.

Spoiler : Map :
Not yet started.
New/Devil Rules
A major change will be brought to the survivors. While a detective with three secrets actions will still be in place:
Each survivor that doesn't posses any of the roles mentioned above has the right to ONE secret action during the round.

Let's talk about the metod of the killings now. Again, when I created this, I was sorta expecting the killer to be creative... and they were! ...But I sorta meant it in a "thinking" sort of creative. What do I mean by that? Well, er... heh, heh... Let's just say that this round it won't do the killer any good to go with the standard stab-someone-in-the-face method.

At the beginning of the game, all survivors are given a special... "power". They have a shot to throw ONE blue truth at me per round, the game master. For those of you who don't know, a blue truth is a theory or a hypothesis the player makes in trying to solve the crime. I, the game master, will respond to that blue truth, with a red truth (in other words, I will truthfully respond to it, either shooting it down or confirming it). Of course, simply saying "incorrect" is not acceptible. In other words... yeah - I will have to explain why that isn't correct. Remember, you get only one per round. The reason this is one - the killer can be extremely vague and not leave enough clues, leaving the survivors to lose in the end because of one incorrect detail and two, because it will force the killer to come up with a clever and out-of-the-box way of killing his or hers victims.

Some general rules for this round:
The killer can't god-mod. In other words, you can't magically knock 5 people out in one room. Nope. Sorry, pal, doesn't work that way. No sir.
Secret actions such as pickpocketing will be informed to the person on the recieving end (in other words, they WILL notice). This can also apply to certain situations in that sense (a secret action that I, for example, find extremely obvious or something similar).
There cannot exist more than 1 secret passage. These bastard have pretty much screwed you over in the past, and really gave a killer WAY, WAY more advantage than it should've (I'm looking at you, Round 2!)

Now, with these extra couple of rules, I actually considered adding the following ones. However, I personally found them to change the game WAY too much, and would make it incredibly hard for the killer to do... anything! However, I am more than willing to put these on for vote and see what the other players think of it.

Considered Rules/Rules to be put up to a vote
The concept of the actual killings could be changed. Killings would no longer occur in normal, standard blackouts. Instead, the killing will have to be done as if they're done in the real world. That's right, no more convenient blackouts! The killings themselves will be pulled off in real time, pretty much. In other words, several parts of the trick can be done in "intervals", so to speak. In other words, the killer will have to adapt to circumstances of the world. ...That being said...
The survivors will thus no longer be confirmed when the killer makes his move/kill (no more standard "A Blackout Occurs..."
However, THAT being said, the killer DOES have a right for TWO convenient blackouts per round, should they wish to use them, of course.

(Possible) Entrants
Ryuusai09
kwando1313
Remilia Scarlet
percey
Mono the Meerp
Master Of Chaos
Blackrune
TwiGav
Sakuya Izayoi
The Fury Wraith
Singidava

So, again, I want your opinion on this. While these may not seem like such big changes... trust me, they will make things... interesting, at least I hope.
Last edited by DWaM on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Whodunnit: Devil Round

Post by kwando1313 »

Vote against the no blackout rule. That just makes things impossibly difficult for the killer.

The other changes are good though. Makes it more fair all around.

Also, will blue truth if I accuse person X of murder and they are the murderer, will you tell us they are the murderer?
Last edited by kwando1313 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Ah, right, probably should mention that about the blue truth:

The blue truths will be strictly about the howdunnits. Telling you straight out if a person isn't or is a killer would just be giving it away. Also, I should mention that this doesn't have to be a full theory, it can be as simple as: The door was opened! Or something similar.
Last edited by DWaM on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Gooood. (If I had blue truth, survivors would have won the last game.) >.<

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Well, these new changes look interesting. (Sadly, I can't participate due to the time.) Would it be okay if I just bounced around theories during the "off hours"?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

Everybody's a one-third detective now? The killer will really have to be on their toes. Seems kind of extreme but worth testing.

And yeah, the no blackouts rule would make it too hard for the killer now that the survivors have new benefits.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

@Enthalpy: I suppose I can give you a permit after a certain hour, or so. Can't have you ghosting around that early on in the game~
Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

......Eh, I'll take part in this round. Why not.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Oh. And when's the possible start date.

Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

Against the no blackout rule. Other than that, this is neat.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Possible start date? Hm... On Friday, I suppose.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

DWaM wrote:Ah, right, probably should mention that about the blue truth:

The blue truths will be strictly about the howdunnits. Telling you straight out if a person isn't or is a killer would just be giving it away. Also, I should mention that this doesn't have to be a full theory, it can be as simple as: The door was opened! Or something similar.
So basically, if I post my theory from last game:

Spoiler : Theory Time Mk. 4 :
The murderer is Fury. The accomplice is (I'm not sure, but...)DWaM.

Mono got baked in an oven. A delicious oven. Pretty easy for the killer to bake somebody when the door is unlocked.
Twigav got shocked and stabbed with DWaM's knife. It was an electrifying murder, to say the least. Not much of a crime to solve still.
percey was blunt force trauma-ed. Probably he was killed with some statue.
Ryu was forcibly induced to eat dry ice. And it was quite painful. :(
Superman got strangled to get knocked out (maybe with a tie?), then stabbed. With DWaM's knife. Again.
Remelia got crushed! Probably he crushed him by the escalators! Ketchup! Bloody towel to soak up the mess! And I bet Remelia was our detective too!
Joseppy got strangled... with a Tie!
And Danielholni also got baked. In an oven. :(
Poor Singi. Gets slit throated. With DWaM's knife.

The locked rooms aren't a mystery cuz the killer has the master key. So, not too much of a crime to solve in terms of solving stuff. And our killer's mysterious object to knock people out with is just the statues
Which parts would you tell me were wrong?

percey

Post by percey »

Blue truth? Red truth? What is this, Umineko Remix Version? :P

...er, that aside, I'm against the no blackout rule. That'd just be unfair for the killer.

...also, when will be the roles sent?
There wasn't a signature fad/meme/whatever here, what are you talking about?
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

@kwando:

I would not advise you to use the blue truth that way. All I have to do is simply reply it with one red truth to make it ineffective. That's why I'm suggesting that they should focus on one aspect. For example, I can just say: Joseppy wasn't strangled. Or something like that, just as an example.

Leaving you, as the french would say - screwed.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Ahh... So it's just one aspect that I can blue truth. So, if I did this instead...

Remelia got crushed! Probably the killer crushed him by the escalators! Ketchup! Bloody towel to soak up the mess! And I bet Remelia was our detective too!

What would you say here?