The RPer's Feedback Thread

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

LunchPolice
Spoken languages: English, Namekian, Pezazulian

The RPer's Feedback Thread

Post by LunchPolice »

Oh geez, I never know how to start these things. Uh... welcome.
Welcome to The RPer's Feedback Thread.
Even though you just read that cause it's the topic title.

So this thread is pretty self-explantory, really. Basically you come here if you want feedback or criticism for something regarding RPing. Want to see if your character is coming off the right way to everyone else? Maybe you'd like to see what people think of your writing style! Or maybe you just want to show off a roleplay idea to gage interest and/or create hype. The possibilities are endless. Kind of. This is a topic for people looking to better themselves in the art of roleplaying or people who are willing to give useful advice and help others along.

Rules

- Be constructive. Don't write one word posts or anything like that. I will forcefeed poisionous cookies to anyone who just posts "Cool" or "Nice" in this thread.
- Don't be overly abusive with your criticism. So no flaming, I guess.
- You can be somewhat harsh, but this depends on the wishes of the person seeking criticism. If you're asking for advice, tell us what kind you want from a scale of "Go easy on me" to "LET ME HAVE IT!!"

So yeah, go nuts. To start things off, I'd like to ask for thoughts on my writing style in general. Not any specific characters or anything, just the way I write. Is my vocabulary lacking? Is my dialogue kind of awkward sometimes? I guess I'd like a 5 on the harshness scale. Also don't be afraid to ask your own question just because somebody asked before you.
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Re: The RPer's Feedback Thread

Post by Broocevelt »

"LET ME HAVE IT!!"

After all I AM new and I AM planning an RP right now. So I need some advice based on my very low number of posts =P I'm always aiming for something easy to read but also rich in content (in some way), if that helps
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Um...let me easy on have it.
...Medium please lol.
As of right now, that is, not stupid stuff I've done in the past like when I had no idea how to RP back when FW started. Just me at my current standards.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

LunchPolice

Post by LunchPolice »

I'll respond to some of this in a bit, but I'm just reminding you guys that you CAN ask for opinions on your characters, GM skills, RP concepts, and more.
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

I'd like character opinions, please.

Don't know 'nuff 'bout Dan's characters tbh. :L
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

LunchPolice

Post by LunchPolice »

Well... which ones? All of them?

Guys, please be a little more specific.
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Just sorta...in general, I guess. I tend to base my characters off a certain trait or something and then build up from that through the story, so it isn't hard to just sorta make a general statement of my characters, I guess.

Also, my weaponry lol.

DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

Go easy on me. I'd like some critique on Gerard, my main RPing character.
The Final but not so ending chapter.
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

I'd like critique of everything I do. Excluding Jean.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Wackyman
Spoken languages: English

Post by Wackyman »

LET IS ROAST!!!!!!!!!

...So yeah, go all out on me. :P
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

And then everyone requested criticism with nobody feeling like giving any.
THREAD OVER
JON WINS
*alsotoolazytocritrightnowlol*

Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

gotMLK7 wrote:And then everyone requested criticism with nobody feeling like giving any.
THREAD OVER
JON WINS
*alsotoolazytocritrightnowlol*
Woah I was going to say exactly the same
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

l'll try to give criticism later when I have the opportunity to. Just know that I feel uncomfortable being "harsh" so my advice probably won't be that harsh. Unless it is. We'll see what happens.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Real Name (2024), A Silly Little Dream (hopefully late 2024 or very early 2025), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully late 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
LunchPolice

Post by LunchPolice »

TwiGav wrote:I'd like critique of everything I do. Excluding Jean.
Everything? Geez, you guys love narrowing it down don't you...
I don't know harsh you want me to be so I'll just write whatever comes to mind. I'm really tired right now so this might not turn out very useful. I mean it's not like I'm an expert at this craft but I'll try my best. There are a couple things I think you could improve on. So uh, in no particular order, here goes~

TEXT WALL TIME!!

First off, I think your posts could use a little more substance. I can't say I've seen THAT much of your work - mostly just ET and the tourney, really - but most of your posts seem to be about two lines, max(though I do have a pretty wide computer monitor). I'm probably wrong, but I would guess the reason is probably that you're just posting in order to move things along, and that's it. For example,
You wrote:The chanelling screen hit Vincent, knocking him down. He was surprised by this, and ran over to grab his fallen axe. In a rage, he threw one of the glass lanterns at James and proceeded to go behind the altar.
Now I know this post does its most basic job pretty well. It explains what happened and moves along the scene so the next person can post. But it doesn't really accomplish much more than that. Now I'm not sure if that's due to A: a lack of descriptive ability or B: a general disinterest in elaborating on your character's feelings and whatnot. While we do have some insight into Vince's emotions, the scene still lacks any real sense of feeling or mood. It feels more like a.. series of statements rather than a dangerous battle with axes and broken glass. I think this is because the post is too short and you used very passive language. For example, you're all like "In a rage..." and then use words like "threw" and "proceeded". If he's that mad, use forceful language! Maybe he hurled the glass lanterns and bolted behind the altar. I mean that's just a basic example but you know what I mean. Be more descriptive! If Vince is mad and the scene is tense, show us. Otherwise, no one's really going to feel convinced by what you're saying. And it'd really help to throw in a few more sentences so we can visualise the scene better. Did the chanelling screen break? Did Vincent hit the ground safely or was it actually pretty painful? I mean you don't have to go overboard but it helps to make things more interesting. Roleplaying is a lot more fun when you can actually enjoy reading other people's posts. And writing descriptively like this shouldn't be a chore - if you're going to write a post, treat like making any other kind of artwork. You'd want to be somewhat proud of it, right? And you'd do it because it's fun.

Second on my list of criticisms is character depth. I'll give you fair warning - this crit might be a little opinionated, because I'm one of those guys who thinks a personality section should be mandatory in character apps. Let's take a look at one of your character apps, shall we?
In the tourney, you wrote:Personality: I'm going to let the other players decide. He really has no limits.
Battle Psychology: Mordik uses stealth to confuzzle the hell out of his opponents. If this doesn't work, anything can and will happen!
Now... to be honest, this is a little lazy. It's like, for these parts of the app, you just shrugged and said "Meh, I don't care." But you should care. If your character literally has no personality, where's the fun in writing him at all? Or reading his posts, for that matter? You know how I said writing is an art, and something you should feel proud of or at least happy with? Yeah, that. Personally, a large portion of my enjoyment in RPing is getting into character and imagining how they'd feel and react to whatever happens to be going on in the RP. I like to feel that the things I write are things I would enjoy. Can you imagine reading a story about a character with no personality whatsoever? Sounds pretty boring, doesn't it? I've got a small amount of characters with poorly defined or shallow personalities, and they are by far my least favourite to write as. Again, this feels like a character designed to serve a purpose and not be anything interesting on its own merits. Just like Vince just threw that lantern to move the fight along, Mordik is just there so you have someone to fight with. And that's not just uninteresting for everyone else, but it's also going to get old pretty fast for you. Don't be afraid to actually write a personality - plenty of people's characters don't turn out how they were originally envisioned, but they eventually settle on something consistent and/or great. And it's not as hard as you think. Just take a look at some of the other details in your app:
Mordik has exceptional aim.
Mordik always knows what time it is.
Mordik is a mild hemophobic - that is to say he is frightened if there is enough blood to make 2 donations.
Mordik has a prosthetic leg.
Mordik is distracted by natural oddities, such as a deformed weapon or a dog-eared page of a book. This makes him liable to attacks.
Now I'm assuming you just gave him these traits for sake of having strengths and weaknesses, but they already imply some kind of personality. If he has good aim, is distracted by natural oddities and always knows what time it is, you could say he's an observant guy who notices things faster than most others. Maybe he's quite insecure about his hemophobia, and tries to avoid thinking about it due to his job as a cop(he's a cop, right?). Maybe he actually keeps that a secret and tries to look like this gruff guy who isn't phased by anything. Maybe he's afraid to take risks because he lost his leg. There! A bunch of traits you could use to create an actual character. Trust me, you'll enjoy writing a lot more if you've actually put time into the characterisation. You'll actually care about what happens to him and feel a little less inclined to make him randomly commit suicide because you were too lazy to post. :P

For my last point, I'll make things brief because I'm lazy and I doubt you expected this much to read. I think you could pay more attention to things already established in RP, and if you are going to add something to the story, don't add something you don't really have the authority or significance to do. I know it sounds like I'm making you look small, but I didn't know how else to explain my point, heh. For my example this time, I'm actually using one of the most in-depth posts I've ever seen from you that actually uses some of the stuff I was talking about. The post where Vincent remembers when he signed up to the tournament. The post was one of your best and all, and it was interesting, but... the tournament didn't exactly HAVE signups. And if that kind of thing wasn't specified, it's generally GMs that decide on big world-building changes like that. Unless you're in something a lot more free-form, which you weren't. So uh, good job on everything else in that post, but I recommend you think about that kinda thing from now on. RPs are a collaborative thing, after all.

END OF TEXT WALL

I'm not sure if there's anything else I could say, but I'm too tired and hungry to think about it and find out. So I hope that helped you, Mr Gav.
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:Go easy on me. I'd like some critique on Gerard, my main RPing character.
I don't know much about how Dan, Wacky, or Twi RP, so this is the only one I can properly crit I guess.

So far, to be frank, Gerard is a character who is sorta well known but hasn't really done anything. Aside from OIR, he doesn't have much under his belt as a character. He has a very interesting characterization, though, and I honestly love his design (he was really fun to draw btw). I have a few suggestions for making him a great character:
-Longer posts. Don't simply settle with one sentence or one line. You need to work on adding a little insight to make his posts pop out.
-Character interaction. Make sure he develops different relationships with different characters. Find a friend in one character, an enemy in another, etc. If you make him a little more known to characters, he'll stand out more to players.
-Focus less on shipping. One should never devote a relationship to just shipping. You need to sorta ease on a bit and let the characters know each other before forming a romantic relationship. I know it's fun to have people rejoice over a ship and stuff, but if you flat out tell people you plan to ship them before the characters know each other and devote their relationship only to that, it might seems stale. See Narome and Kea's relationship in ET, I think they do it well.
-Might just be opinion, but try focussing less on the Earthbound theme you're going for. I like the idea of Gerard being a sort of dictator-in-progress, but the Cow-Masks thing seems a little too...rip-offy, I guess, to take too seriously. Which brings me to:
-Don't assume he'll take over everything as much. Takeovers like that need a lot of time and effort put into them, and need a lot of build-up to actually make work. Saburo's conquest of China in FW was well done because it was built up for a while, and Sleuth didn't really tell people before-hand his whole plot until Saburo was in a position where it seemed pretty inevitable. You sorta just stated that Gerard was going to rule the world and kinda treated him as if it was inevitable within the first few pages of OIR, which sorta made it hard to take seriously due to how little was known about Gerard. When you have ideas for a character early in development, make sure you build up to events throughout the RP to make it fit in more.
-Pop culture references in OIR got a little annoying, tbh. :T Not a huge complaint, just a little note for future reference.

This came off a little harsher than hoped. So to counteract those, here are the good points of Gerard Heifer:
-I think his cow theme is fun. If you build on it a little and maybe find a way to fit in with his character more, it could be a fun little quirky thing for him.
-As mentioned before, his design is awesome. He was a blast to draw. One thing I notice with your characters is that they tend to have rather standard appearances, but Gerard actually has a very memorable design. Probably one of my favorites on the site really.
-The Laser Music-box is a cool weapon. I think it's really interesting. The katana's a little unfitting, but the laser box fits his eccentricity and scientificness well. It really fits a mad doctor.
-The concept of his personality is fun. A genius jerk who wants to rule the world seems like it could have some GREAT possibilities for interaction. If you can perfect writing such a character, he could be awesome.
-Dat bubble pipe.

So basically, I think Gerard is a very promising and neat character. He just needs a little work and time in order to make him one of the greats if AAO.