Locked Room Murder Mystery Battle

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Locked Room Murder Mystery Battle

Post by kwando1313 »

http://xat.com/aaolrmb

Basically... 2 People. 2 Murders. 2 Theories. 2 Truths. 1 Winner.

What do you do?
Each person comes up with a murder. One person is the "judge": they make sure that both people are telling the truth. Each person then trades "blue truths" and "red truths".

Blue truths are the theories you come up with to explain the other person's locked room mystery. Red truths are used to either refute or accept the blue truth that the other person has stated.

When you start, you must reveal a red truth.

One more rule: If you claim there is no other mystery, the other player must hint/reveal what still needs to be explained.

I think I've explained it all... I'll post a basic idea of what happens in the spoiler tag below.
Spoiler : :
Person A's Murder: I killed the victim by having the floor collapse.
Person B's Murder: I killed the victim by stabbing him.

Person A: Person A killed victim in a perfect closed room.
Person B: Person B killed victim in a perfect closed room.
Person A: Person B killed the victim with a direct cause of death.
Person B: ... Acknowledged.
Person B: Person A killed the victim with a knife.
Person A: Person A did not kill the victim with a knife.

And so on, and so forth. I hope I explained that well enough.
Spoiler : Locked Room Rules~ :
Thank you to Ferdie for coming up with these.

Rule 1: All Locked Room cases must begin with a Statement of Mystery, explaining to the opponent exactly which questions they are required to answer.

Rule 2: Locked Room solutions must not involve the supernatural, nor may they require specialized technical knowledge.

Rule 3: "Filigree" - pointless ornamentation that exists solely to make a room more difficult - is forbidden. Any and all details that are required in the solution must be justified as actions that a person could reasonably perform. Thus, "I stabbed X, shot X, poisoned X, threw X off a bridge, then burned the corpse" is simply not admissible... unless there's a good in-character reason for each separate step included in the mystery.

Rule 4: If a Locked Room includes some step that would be very likely to lead to the capture of the murderer or the immediate solution of the room, discovery of this step will result in immediate victory. For example, "I ate the victim over several days" (in the absence of a scenario allowing a person to get away with such a thing) is a step that would result in immediate loss if discovered... if the Judge even allows it at all.

Rule 5: If a significant amount of time passes without progress, in the eyes of the Judge, both sides may request details that would be obtainable during a police investigation, such as an autopsy report listing BROAD (not specific) cause of death, and objects found at the scene. If you want to be safe from this, you must have a way of removing the evidence!

Rule 6: Good sporting conduct shall be maintained at all times, or else.

GOLDEN TRUTH: The Judge is the final arbiter of fairness, and must Judge in as unbiased a manner as possible. A Judge should not only follow the letter of the rules, but also seek to preserve elegance in the mysteries at hand.
Credit to DWaM and Edge for coming up with this.
Last edited by kwando1313 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:53 am, edited 12 times in total.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Re: Locked Room Murder Mystery Battle

Post by GuardianDreamer »

I feel the need to post here since I have done this. Just once recently, actually. It's pretty fun and can get intense. My only match so far was against Kwando, which somehow ended up being an intense 80 minute battle (From what I can tell, usually they don't take so long) but it was very fun, even if I ended up losing. Anyway, I'd be willing to play against anyone if they wanted to and scheduled a time, just know that I'm not the best opponent around.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
TKinhonipei
Spoken languages: asdfjkl;

Post by TKinhonipei »

These are always fun to watch! :D
Gumpei is so awesome for being everything that I've always wished for. <3
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

Holhol is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Instantaneous Starvation is my favourite cause of death.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
TKinhonipei

Post by TKinhonipei »

I'd say it's rather... Shocking. XD

Anywho, Blackrune and Bad Player are facing each other right now but have yet to start. Come ooooon! ;D

BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Burr VS Oracle is paused for the moment. And it can only resume when the judge wakes back up.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Wait... Was this the battle that I watched?

Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

How much are you obliged to answer to your opponent's blues at this? Do you have to answer the every single one even though they wouldn't make the crime possible anyways? People always complain that I'm a cheapskater when it comes to red...
I wonder what people'd say if I used my game here~ Hahaha...
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

You are merely oblidged to state a fact regarding the crime. I'll use an example here:

Person A: You shot the victim. /blue
Person B: ... Acknowledged. /red

However, me "shooting" the victim means nothing. It doesn't necessarily make it the cause of death. So, I guess you need to reply to the comment at hand, it must be true, but you can make deceptions upon it.

DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Post by DWaM »

My only real complaint with this so far is that we have no log. :/

I mean, BP and Rune epic duel isn't epic if you don't actually get to witness it/have no idea what it's about...
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

It is a shame that we cannot save the log. :(

Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Here's my (losing) thing from Gumpei and I's battle:

I kidnapped Miley Cyrus and took her to Meph's house. Then, I made her stab Meph with a screwdriver, asphyxiating him, at gunpoint. I shot Meph in the legs twice to fake the cause of death. I made her fly Meph to Disney World (on her private jet) and hid him in the tech room of Space Mountain. I sabotaged the ride, killing everyone on it, to distract the guards, then hid Meph in the tech room. I left Miley in there with the corpse, locking the door behind me. She died from instantaneous starvation.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
TKinhonipei

Post by TKinhonipei »

I was SO going to record the Burr vs Oracle battle!

But when I was like, "This is going to be the battle of the century!" Oracle was like, "Nah."

That... Discouraged me, and so I didn't record. XD

However, the next time I ever see a match like that again, the camera shall be on!

Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Well, me vs. Gav took forever. Unguessable murder weapons ftw~
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Just watch. People will get SO crazy with their murder weapons and methods of murder, that rules will have to be added about what you can't do.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.