RP: Ace Attorney no Naku Koro Ni (1-Victim Edition)

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

RP: Ace Attorney no Naku Koro Ni (1-Victim Edition)

Post by Gav »

Disclaimer: Those who have not played Umineko, go do that. Be warned though, it is not very family-friendly...

Japanifornia. A land beloved by all. It features the main stars of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, as it does Apollo Justice and Ace Attorney Investigations. while at times it can be a silly place, Japanifornia will enrapture anyone who sees it.

Also in Japanifornia live the members of Ace Attorney Online, a fan casemaking site. They have formed a tiny section of the fanbase of another game called Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. It is a game featuring the locked room mystery. One day, they are invited to France, to Unas's birthday party. He lives in a 3-story mansion witch a Jacuzzi, movie theater, etc. After everyone goes to their respective guest rooms and sleeps, Unas is killed in a closed room. Someone finds him. GO.

That is where the story begins. This is Ace Attorney no Naku Koro Ni, an RP formed at the protest of Edge. It is based off Umineko, of course, and uses some of its mechanics, such as the LRMB.

There will be a designated murderer, who will be hidden - but there will also be a strange woman called Violet (Beatrice Baudelaire is Violet Baudelaire's mother in ASoUE) who claims to be the murderer. There will be a detective who will try and explain the murder without using magic. If he/she cannot explain the murder, Violet will win. If he/she can, the detective, and, by extension, the players, will win. Each locked-room, however, can only have one solution with the designated murderer (the designated murder comes up with the locked room) murdering the victim.

Every player may try their hand in solving the murder. They may theorize as they wish, until they feel that they are ready for a Locked Room Mystery Battle that will decide the game. It works like this: Each player will present their own theory, and Violet will tell how many things are wrong with it. After everyone has gone, the players will form the Ultimate Blue Truth: a final, solid, absolute theory that will either win or lose the game for the players. If even one detail in it is fraudulent, Violet will dismiss it and the game will be lost. If it's all correct...

You win.

Have a nice day.

The Rules:
1. The detective may not draw conclusions without the correct amount of evidence to support that conclusion.
2. Red and Blue truths may and will be used by both the detective and Violet. Gold truths will not appear until the third murder...
3. Before the locked rooms can be used, I have to approve of them. This means eradicating those that are too easy.
4. The designated murderer may not shoot or stab with a knife/dagger of any kind. I want him/her to think.
5. You must play as yourself. There will be no character application, but you may think up a fake name for yourself.

Enjoy...
Last edited by Gav on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Re: RP: Ace Attorney no Naku Koro Ni

Post by DWaM »

Two Questions:

1. What exactly does "one of the five safehouses mean"? Do the players go to house 1, murder happens, go to house 2 so on and so fourth?
2. How exactly would this work from a gameplay standpoint? Would our locations be tracked, would there be any reason for characters interacting amongst each other, any gameplay elements that might favor us if we, say chose to betray each other or something of the sort?

Finally, while the general idea for a Umineko RP isn't a bad one, I feel like a lot more should be done with the concept.
Spoiler : :
What about time looping? Why not find some way to implement that? Can you implement that without everything getting repetitive and boring?
I feel like this should be able to stand out more as Umineko than a standard detective game or such.
Gav

Post by Gav »

DWaM wrote:Two Questions:

1. What exactly does "one of the five safehouses mean"? Do the players go to house 1, murder happens, go to house 2 so on and so fourth?
2. How exactly would this work from a gameplay standpoint? Would our locations be tracked, would there be any reason for characters interacting amongst each other, any gameplay elements that might favor us if we, say chose to betray each other or something of the sort?

Finally, while the general idea for a Umineko RP isn't a bad one, I feel like a lot more should be done with the concept.
What about time looping? Why not find some way to implement that? Can you implement that without everything getting repetitive and boring?
I feel like this should be able to stand out more as Umineko than a standard detective game or such.
Oh hey there DWaM.

1. You have it correct.
2. If you didn't get to the safe house in a certain amount of time, I'd use my mystical GM powers to transport you all there.
Spoiler : Umineko Spoilers :
Time looping could be done, but it would amount to lots of extra work for people. I'm fine with lots of extra work for people. :twisted: Do you mean as in it happens once, then Violet appears and we all try to solve the mystery from then on, like in regular Umineko?

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Post by DWaM »

To clarify, on the 2nd question, I was referring to the entire RP in general, actually. :P
And hey, as for time looping, you're the GM, I imagine you'll have to come up with some way to keep it interesting, no?

...But in my opinion, putting five safehouses would in turn be destroyed by the entire point of five individual safehouses. Why not just have time loops instead of warehouses (and have a legit reason for the loops).
Gav

Post by Gav »

Ah. On the second question, I guess it'd be more Umineko-ish if we allowed betrayals and stuff like that, even though I've only seen EP 1 and the characters didn't betray each other.
Spoiler : MOAR Umineko spoilerz :
Time loops are tempting. I guess I can do them, but the reason would be the same as in Umineko: Beato/Violet would create the loops. As for the safehouses, I understand what you mean about one specific area. How about an old mansion (more Umineko!) on the border between the Worlds of the Living and Dead?

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.