The Great Detective Knows-Seeking New Management

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Re: The Great Detective Knows-Discussion

Post by Blackrune »

Spoiler : :
My main concern was the fact the gas is lighter than air. So if he passed out from it (I doubt it'd kill him instantly), his head would be near the ground. And that's not where the gas would be unless pretty much the entire room was filled with it.
It's the main reason I thought my theory was a little shaky, even though as it turned out I was pretty much spot on.
Master Of Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Post by Master Of Chaos »

Damn it couldn't you have waited until I got to Baltimore? Now I'm going to be disqualified because I'll be busy traveling the next two days. Crap.

Also tomorrow sureeeee came fast.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Well, crackers. Looks like I'll be one of the ones starting their investigation late, though I really should have expected this.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

*cabbages

so OOC, GD
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

We're not acting in-character here! And I was making a Fire Emblem reference. (Yes I know you're joking.)

Anyway, here's hoping I'll be awake for when Enigma's around. Though a part of me suspects I'll be eliminated this round.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

How sad is it that I actually get the FE reference?
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Guys, I owe you all an apology. I've been out all day and when I did get back I had comp work to do. So, since I won't be doing any replying today, I'm going to give you all an extra days worth of investigation time. So, sorry about that.
enigma

Post by enigma »

Master Of Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Post by Master Of Chaos »

K, ready to investigate at last.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
enigma

Post by enigma »

I missed declaring deduction time so I'm giving an extension.

You have until when I wake up tomorrow.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this, but I need to express a few serious complaints I have about TGDK so far. The game just isn't any fun on account of these.
Spoiler : Issue One :
The first problem is something that can only be resolved by a co-GM. The gameplay time just isn't working; I have to either get nothing done or re-adjust my sleep schedule. In my timezone, the game only has a chance of going on between 10PM-3AM, usually between 12AM-2AM. To be honest, I'm sick of having to stay up that late, and I'm even more frustrated that even during that time, updates are fairly scarce. There are other players who have it even worse than that. Mono, Chaos, Jose, DLA, GD, DeeYo... Not to mention the other players who have dropped out/been eliminated due to this. The game should not be determined this much by time zones.
Spoiler : Issue Two :
Second problem, the mysteries themselves. Even on the easiest difficulty settings, the difficulty is too much. The first one was nigh impossible to solve unless you did some very specific examinations that a person easily would not do. For instance, examining the gloves and the area around the gloves, as well as the flyer. Not to mention that there are scientific problems with how the murder actually occurred. The second one... I'm not prepared to say too much on this except that the clues are even scantier here, and the locked room you threw in is ridiculous. You can't logically get the solution from what you've put in-game, and even once you do, its relation to the whodunnit is tangential at best. It's a locked room for the sake of a locked room, which has me worried.
Spoiler : Issue Three :
Point three, the game has ceased to be itself. TGDK is now more a political game than a detective game, largely due to certain user's powers and items. I should not have to deal with so many people tampering with evidence and then having to make the right deals with the right people in order to get the information I want, and then trust that they're not messing with me. Even then, I know for a fact that most players aren't even capable of this. Making matters even worse, we have certain users blackmailing others and stealing from each other on complete whims, while other users are so horribly underpowered that they can't do anything except rely on the charity of other users helping them. Spongesonic is a good example, and I'm sure there are others. There's much more that I want to say on this point, but I'm not going to openly disrupt the game, so I'll suffice it to say that enigma knows what I'm talking about in full detail.
Not to put too fine a point on it, I have every intention of quitting this game if I don't believe these problems have been adequately addressed. The game isn't fun, and I have no idea how anyone can enjoy this game unless they're one of the people that enigma has allowed to run wild.
Last edited by Enthalpy on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

In my opinion Enthalpy's phrasing of his complaints is rather.. unnecessarily aggressive, but I won't deny that I don't agree with his actual arguments; I believe that there are some deep flaws here that are rather problematic. A co-GM could be very useful- I believe Topaz has volunteered or at least expressed interest- so if we could get him on board then that could perhaps result in improvement. He could both be useful in a time-zone aspect, and somebody whom you could run mysteries by before posting them could be a massive boon- I personally didn't find the meat of the mystery (thewhodunit) TOO difficult, but I agree that certain aspects should either have been removed, or made far less complicated than it seems to have turned out to be.

Balance, however, is definitely a greater issue. I don't think that the characters powers are inherently bad- almost everybody has decent advantages and disadvantages (There are, however, a couple exceptions even on that front- sponge and from what I've heard about Got's powers him as well come to mind), but they certainly don't combine well together. The fact is that things like alliances- as Enthalpy notes- almost HAVE to be created because otherwise characters are going to get eliminated- even should the time issue be resolved- because other players' powers simply cause a great deal of game imbalance in themselves. It creates a massive concern of the game stop being "Who is the best detective" so much as "who ended up getting the strongest character" which truly is frustrating for everyone.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I'd like to clarify one of my points... The original fourth thing on my list, hence removed, was largely incorrect. It was based on information supplied to me by a certain player(s) that claimed enigma leaked things to them they shouldn't have otherwise known, but they somehow got correct. In retrospect, I'm assuming said person(s) blatantly cheated and opened spoiler tags to acquire said information, based on other suspicious behavior.

To the extent issue number four legitimately occurred, it were SOLELY to curb issue number three, and it was to an extent much less than was originally posted, on account of some bizarre misunderstandings. (I believe enigma will be clarifying this.) I ask that you completely ignore what I wrote for that, as the entire situation changed on account of that user's/users' lie. Don't take this as a reflection in any way on enigma's character. It wasn't intended to be, and the only thing that can reasonably be taken as such turned out to be utterly fake.

I apologize for misleading the players, and to enigma personally.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
enigma

Post by enigma »

I will no longer be GMing TGDK. As such, it is closed until further notice.

Spoiler : I guess you could call this my resignation :
Contrary to popular belief, I actually really loved TGDK. It was actually kinda fun. But, in light of things, I don't think I can GM it anymore. As Enthalpy said, I have been leaking info. Why? Now, I know this will sound ridiculous but... So everything's fair. Basically, there were people using their items and powers in ways I didn't anticipate (which I really should have). Perfectly legal ways, mind you. And basically the mystery was becoming destroyed. Something worth 1 star of difficulty was becoming mindnumbingly difficult all because everything important was being destroyed. I had to nod and say "yes that is legal" as people asked me whether they were allowed to basically ruin the mysteries I so wanted you all to solve. Now, I know what you're thinking. "You're the GM, why not just say no you can't do that?" Well, it goes deeper than that. From the start of this game I wanted to be the best GM I could. I wanted to ensure a fair and fun competition for all. And so I had the rules set in my head, more or less. One of these was "items in the game can be used however you'd like to interact with the scene." Therefore, lest I contradict my own rules, I had to agree that they could use their items as they pleased. I did warn a few members that it was bad sportsmanship but for the most part I didn't want to judge peoples strategies. Then Enthalpy appeared. He had created a group dubbed the SSVD which existed for the sole purpose of stopping these people and solving my mysteries in a fair way. You can guess how I became enamored with the idea and wanted to help. But, contrary to what you probably think of me, I had morals and rules for myself as GM. I would never tell someone what someone elses action or power or item or whatever was. So I devised loopholes. Things which were to me "little slips of the tongues." And these slips of the tongue were disgusting and inexcusable in retrospect. I must have known, actually. It seemed like nothing, but in the back of my mind I must have known I was desecrating my own game. After all, why else would I ask Enthalpy if he would "keep this between us." No. I must have always known I was being the worst kind of GM. A hypocritical farce and the worst kind of game master. I would say "oh, someone you're looking out for just tampered with evidence" or "such and such's power is an information gathering type major and revival type minor." I never was explicit in what I said but, it was still wrong of me. And, hell, when you give as much information in total as I did, no matter how vague you are, people start working things out. They start to piece together what "revival" type means or who "so and so" is. I was driven by a desire to create mysteries and have them solved, and a wish to make the game fair. All along, I was the one being the least fair in the end though. Not to be melodramatic, but it's depressingly ironic for me. In the end, I'm the unfair GM who cannot and shouldn't be trusted. This is the main reason I'm quitting now.

However, it isn't the only one. I don't think I can handle this game. As you all know, I take a long time to respond. Now, this is a pain for you players, I know. And with the time limits and all. But, you know what? There is no time limit. No. The time limit is in your fellow players hands. You probably already know that though. So, why don't I just get rid of investigation stops when someone declares a deduction? Well, I wanted this to be a competition and now I am too proud to change it. That's really the only reason why.

I also don't think I can handle certain unruly players anymore. A few of you are extremely rude and ungrateful. Sometime's I am sacrificing my whole day just for you to be able to get your responses as fast as I can. But what do I get for my trouble? "ENIGMA! POST! TGDK!" Someone here even called me IRL while I was out with a friend one day to get me to post in TGDK. That was pretty ridiculous. (For the record, yes. That was the day of my freakout in the Xat.) But I don't want to blame the players and the majority aren't like this. I just don't think I can keep up with my own game any more and the demands are too high. So, I don't think I can do this anymore especially now school is coming back soon for me.

So, all in all, I did actually enjoy GMing TGDK while it lasted but I just don't think that this is a game that should or can be GMed by me. Sorry for wasting all your time but I'm no longer GMing this. If someone else wants to GM it, I don't mind. Get approval from a mod to make both threads yours and then just PM me for the solution to round 2.

Again, I am sorry for all this.

-Enigma.
enigma

Re: The Great Detective Knows-Seeking New Management

Post by enigma »

Exciting news, TGDK fans. TGDK will be rebooting, as such, with all new GMs and such sometime soon. More news coming sometime soon.