RP: Persona: AAO Edition

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Ami
Spoken languages: English

Re: RP: Persona: AAO Edition

Post by Ami »

Spoiler : :
It's the fifteenth, so are we moving forward?
since 2008!
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Sorry, caught a little bit of business and poison ivy XD Anywho, since Sleuth is Co-Gm, I should be able to work anything out with him
The street was dark. Lights in all the houses were out, only the gleam of the moon gave any direction. An eerie feeling reeked throughout the neighborhood. As the students made there way onto the street, a single street light flickered on in the midway of the road. Blood spattered across the sidewalk, there laid a body impaled by a sword, a sword so big it could only come from an RPG. A hand equally as big came down onto the sword and pulled it up lifting the body while it slid off. Its owner seemed to resonate in the darkness as it was darker than the pitch black itself. It rose the sword into the air and the blood absorbed into the sword. A dark voice resonated, but not from the being, but rather a hooded figure beneath the creature. "The pain, it feels... good." He looked up into the moon and laughed. "Delicious if I do not say so myself!" His silhouette was only amplified by the being which mimicked that exact move. "*Sniff* *Sniff* What do we have here?" The hooded figure turned his head to the left and right then proceeded to turn his body around. "What do you know. Looks like the fun has only begun. Ready for a feast Diablo?" The black being separated into six similar beings and flew off towards the students.
Spoiler : Must Read! :
Just as the hooded figure has said, this is were the fun begins, for those who have not acquired their personas yet, this is where you gain them. The shadow only has physical attacks with his swords, but he is very powerful. He has no weakness or resistants. He is affected by hama and mudo, but this is the only "boss" affected with it. Be as creative with you want with this event. You have one post to be in peril, gain your persona, and defeat the boss. Failure to complete these requirements by time I make the sunday update may result in injury or even worse death! I'm not asking for a full length chapter, write whats within your abilities! Just remember, these count as bosses, and even though hama and mudo may be available for use, they are not insta kills for the boss. Since we got Enigma with no real persona attacks, just support, personas are capable to do basic attacks such that the characters in the games do. Since this is how its handled in the anime, I am fine with it. Though, persona skills that are pysical will have an edge compared to just regular attacks.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Ami

Post by Ami »

... So, what? Do we control the battle ourselves, a la Crazy Normal right now? Or are there steps? Also is everything supposed to be one post, or one post for being in peril, one post for battle, one post for victory? That might be a little rushed.

Also, do we control our shadows, or are they NPC's?
since 2008!
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

Spoiler : Gonna have to make another suggestion :
Okay... I hate to be the complaining party, and be the only one making protest while everyone else goes with your outline... but I'm totally gonna be that guy.

I do not that this being the Shadow confrontation is a wise idea. While it gives easy access to fight scenes... this is really poor timing for the characters to come to term with themselves. You're not gonna blindly accept your deepest insecurities just because some monster is chasing you down.

I think for the players who wish to fight right off the bat, this is a good trigger. But on the same hand, they probably have their personas already. The players who said they don't want to have them yet did that for a reason. They want that really heavy characterization that comes with everything a Shadow stands for. It's your deepest insecurities and darkest beliefs made manifest. That is really heavy stuff, and not something you will take on simply because a monster is chasing you. The value of a Shadow is that it is stronger in it's "human form" than it's "monster form." Yeah, you'll die faster when it goes crazy. But the psychological torture it puts you through is much more effecting.

So in the interest of stronger storyline and more detailed characters, I implore you to allow a complete refusal to the call of duty, or an effort to help with human means. The Shadow means so much more than a singular post, and you'd be losing out on so much if that's what it becomes reduced to.

Now, maybe I'll be the only one who wants to make this kind of big deal out of dealing with their Shadows. But I'll just say it now, doing this undermines everything that stands testament to Hayato's character and what he can contribute to the game. Let him have this time, he needs it. Because as of right now, there is no way in hell he would ever accept his Shadow right now, and the mass gathering of people does not help that.

I'll take an injury, I hope that's just your plan for characters who don't take their Personas now, because that's a pretty solid way to incentivise Shadow acceptance. But I simply cannot write out the scene required when I got a giant dude with a sword chasing me. So I hope you understand, and will let that happen on its own course. I'll wait for someone to take care of their boss, write a post where I try to run away, and they'll come save me and be a big hero. I'll take a sword slash across my chest, or whatever war wound I need. But I will not take a subpar characterization.
Spoiler : Less ranting :
I'd make a suggestion to have combat done through our posts solely. These guys may be bosses, but their individually focusing on one of us at a time. And it's not like they're some major character with a defined personality. They're amorphous blobs, pretty much.

I imagine the biggest problem would be managing HP and MP... and I'd just straight up vote to remove those systems as they're not mechanically sound for our format. Have them instead relate to the character's state. Loss of HP is now physical stability and loss of MP is now mental stability. Abilities are now much more weighty and more in line with the idea of a deal with the devil. Using physical abilities will physically hurt your character, and magic will mentally drain them. Spam agi too much and you'll become mentally disoriented and nauseous. Have consequences for this newfound power instead of just making us supermen, you know. It would also force us to be more creative with our writing. We can't just shoot fire at everything we see if we do that. We'll have to think outside of the box, use our surroundings, think tactically and generally create combat that is more interesting to read and write. I mean, would you rather write "I shot a fireball at him" or some in-depth scene where you first drop oil all over him and then set him on fire? I mean, I'm biased towards depth and making these long walls of text and that's not everyone's cup of tea but... if combat's gonna be a big deal, we'll want it to be more interesting than having 400 scenes of just spamming whatever your skill is, won't we?

This would also create a pretty interesting dynamic for leveling up. Because Trybien said we're using the older system where the more you use skills, the more skills you get, you'll have to actually think about how much you need to advance. Is getting a new spell really worth possibly knocking you into a coma from a loss of MP?

Aside from that, I think we players should be in charge of small battles. If it's just one of the regular random battle mooks, we should control that. Leave the back and forth between players and GM for big boss battles so they have more worth.

And Shadows should be player controlled for sure because how the hell would Try know the dark side to your character better than you would? That's like saying "Should the GM write every fifth post for us?" It just... makes no sense. :P
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

deHughes wrote:
Okay... I hate to be the complaining party, and be the only one making protest while everyone else goes with your outline... but I'm totally gonna be that guy.

I do not that this being the Shadow confrontation is a wise idea. While it gives easy access to fight scenes... this is really poor timing for the characters to come to term with themselves. You're not gonna blindly accept your deepest insecurities just because some monster is chasing you down.

I think for the players who wish to fight right off the bat, this is a good trigger. But on the same hand, they probably have their personas already. The players who said they don't want to have them yet did that for a reason. They want that really heavy characterization that comes with everything a Shadow stands for. It's your deepest insecurities and darkest beliefs made manifest. That is really heavy stuff, and not something you will take on simply because a monster is chasing you. The value of a Shadow is that it is stronger in it's "human form" than it's "monster form." Yeah, you'll die faster when it goes crazy. But the psychological torture it puts you through is much more effecting.

So in the interest of stronger storyline and more detailed characters, I implore you to allow a complete refusal to the call of duty, or an effort to help with human means. The Shadow means so much more than a singular post, and you'd be losing out on so much if that's what it becomes reduced to.

Now, maybe I'll be the only one who wants to make this kind of big deal out of dealing with their Shadows. But I'll just say it now, doing this undermines everything that stands testament to Hayato's character and what he can contribute to the game. Let him have this time, he needs it. Because as of right now, there is no way in hell he would ever accept his Shadow right now, and the mass gathering of people does not help that.

I'll take an injury, I hope that's just your plan for characters who don't take their Personas now, because that's a pretty solid way to incentivise Shadow acceptance. But I simply cannot write out the scene required when I got a giant dude with a sword chasing me. So I hope you understand, and will let that happen on its own course. I'll wait for someone to take care of their boss, write a post where I try to run away, and they'll come save me and be a big hero. I'll take a sword slash across my chest, or whatever war wound I need. But I will not take a subpar characterization.
I understand that, however as a fan of the entirety of persona, I need to point out that gaining your persona DOES NOT mean overcoming yourself. The only time that is used was in p4, and that was still just a base coming to turns. Reaching ones ultimate persona is the true testament to have accepting who you are. To be frank, that was one my issues with P4, though they are very few, I do not feel as if it stayed as true to the groundwork that had been laid by its predecessor games.
I'd make a suggestion to have combat done through our posts solely. These guys may be bosses, but their individually focusing on one of us at a time. And it's not like they're some major character with a defined personality. They're amorphous blobs, pretty much.

I imagine the biggest problem would be managing HP and MP... and I'd just straight up vote to remove those systems as they're not mechanically sound for our format. Have them instead relate to the character's state. Loss of HP is now physical stability and loss of MP is now mental stability. Abilities are now much more weighty and more in line with the idea of a deal with the devil. Using physical abilities will physically hurt your character, and magic will mentally drain them. Spam agi too much and you'll become mentally disoriented and nauseous. Have consequences for this newfound power instead of just making us supermen, you know. It would also force us to be more creative with our writing. We can't just shoot fire at everything we see if we do that. We'll have to think outside of the box, use our surroundings, think tactically and generally create combat that is more interesting to read and write. I mean, would you rather write "I shot a fireball at him" or some in-depth scene where you first drop oil all over him and then set him on fire? I mean, I'm biased towards depth and making these long walls of text and that's not everyone's cup of tea but... if combat's gonna be a big deal, we'll want it to be more interesting than having 400 scenes of just spamming whatever your skill is, won't we?

This would also create a pretty interesting dynamic for leveling up. Because Trybien said we're using the older system where the more you use skills, the more skills you get, you'll have to actually think about how much you need to advance. Is getting a new spell really worth possibly knocking you into a coma from a loss of MP?

Aside from that, I think we players should be in charge of small battles. If it's just one of the regular random battle mooks, we should control that. Leave the back and forth between players and GM for big boss battles so they have more worth.

And Shadows should be player controlled for sure because how the hell would Try know the dark side to your character better than you would? That's like saying "Should the GM write every fifth post for us?" It just... makes no sense. :P
Trust me when I say this, but this battle is the only exception to the mechanics I have set in place, and thats largely due to the face that this is a very personalized battle. Sleuth and I p.m.d about the mechanics, and really, as stated before, the battles will generally work out like in other rps. Also, one of the first thing we though of was how to combat spamming, and there are a few suprises later for that. This whole battle was designed to set groundwork for the story, following that, the story takes some huge strides into what I know you guys look for.
Ami

Post by Ami »

deHughes wrote:

I agree with pretty much everything posted. No disrespect, Trybien, you've made a great RP for us thus far, it's just that... well, Hughes enunciated my feelings better than I could in his first spoiler tag.

As for the second spoiler tag of Hughes'?While I don't think HP and MP were brought up, I talked with Hughes, and he is right, we'd have to find some way to manage "how much a boss is damaged by things" is something that will need to be addressed at some point- even if HP and MP are never a factor.

As for the shadows, I agree- is it possible to refuse the call? Because I wrote some great issues for this incarnation of Ami, and this all seems like a sudden burst of characterization from nowhere.
EDIT: Didn't see your response, hold up
since 2008!
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Ami wrote:
deHughes wrote:

While I don't think HP and MP were brought up, I talked with Hughes, and he is right, we'd have to find some way to manage "how much a boss is damaged by things" is something that will need to be addressed at some point- even if HP and MP are never a factor.

As for the shadows, I agree- is it possible to refuse the call? Because I wrote some great issues for this incarnation of Ami, and this all seems like a sudden burst of characterization from nowhere.
Since the style of the battles mimic that of p4 animation, HP and MP as statistics will not be counted for. Now like in my previous post, move spamming will be dealt with, so that will basically be the MP effects. (Hughs made some good guesses if I do say). HP will be dealt by two factors, at least in this arc. Its a combination of attacks landing and problem solving... in more ways then one.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Then does that mean that characters will have arcs wherein they will truly confront their shadow selves, and that characters may lose Personas, a la Persona 4 Arena? If that's so, then I'll gloss over the truly horrible stuff, and have Ami break at some point, losing her Persona. Would this be acceptable?
since 2008!
Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

Spoiler : P4A spoilers :
No one lost their Personas in P4A. And the "shadows" in Arena are actually the main villian (Strongly hinted to be the big bad from P2, can't remember his name right now) In disguise.

Also still trying to get in a post. I'll do it. Eventually.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Ami wrote:
Then does that mean that characters will have arcs wherein they will truly confront their shadow selves, and that characters may lose Personas, a la Persona 4 Arena? If that's so, then I'll gloss over the truly horrible stuff, and have Ami break at some point, losing her Persona. Would this be acceptable?
You never know :twisted: (evil smile means very high proballity). Besides, the way I've designed the arcs, there will be multiple levels of growth. Sleuth gave a really good idea in which will most likely be used for the second arc and I have one for the third arc. Each are going to be slightly different on the functional level, but nothing as extreme as per say going from P4 to P4 Arena
Master Of Chaos wrote:
Spoiler : P4A spoilers :
No one lost their Personas in P4A. And the "shadows" in Arena are actually the main villian (Strongly hinted to be the big bad from P2, can't remember his name right now) In disguise.

Also still trying to get in a post. I'll do it. Eventually.
Spoiler : P4A and p2 spoilers :
Though it never actually happened, it is said multiple times that if your shadow broke lose, you would not be able to use your persona since they are one in the same. Also, it was Nyohelpelitic (extremely butchered spelling, but yah get the idea)
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Back from my trip now, sorry for the delay.

And Truf, don't worry I believe I did (or should have) brought up the exact issues you did just now. I apologize for not addressing this sooner, and will try to catch up and dear god you people write so fast ;___;
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

S.S. Sleuth wrote:
Back from my trip now, sorry for the delay.

And Truf, don't worry I believe I did (or should have) brought up the exact issues you did just now. I apologize for not addressing this sooner, and will try to catch up and dear god you people write so fast ;___;
Yay! Yah back, as co-gm, make any entrance you feel is necesarry since I'm prolly gonna be out like a light (or end up playing SMT 4 all night) within the next hour.
Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

Spoiler : Persona stuffs :
I can't really look up stuff and argue at the same time because bed time and nook, but apperntily Personas turning back into Shadows are unheard of. Judging by what's his face's actions in P4A, a Persona user has to be driven to complete and utter Despair or something similiar for it to revert. Considering what both casts went through, it would have to be something huge.

Of course this assumes we're folowing Persona rules to the letter and whatnot. I'm tired so I'll talk about this with you guys tommorow.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Master Of Chaos wrote:
Spoiler : Persona stuffs :
I can't really look up stuff and argue at the same time because bed time and nook, but apperntily Personas turning back into Shadows are unheard of. Judging by what's his face's actions in P4A, a Persona user has to be driven to complete and utter Despair or something similiar for it to revert. Considering what both casts went through, it would have to be something huge.

Of course this assumes we're folowing Persona rules to the letter and whatnot. I'm tired so I'll talk about this with you guys tommorow.
Of course they'd need to be driven to complete dispair, that was the whole point of the tournament and why the evil force used it to his advantage. I'm pretty sure (though too tired to double check) that he said something about trying to take the personas from their users, so I guess that makes sense in that aspect. Anyways, I'm trying to follow the rules of the universe to the best of my abilities while keeping it fresh, and thats why I got something a little "devious" in store for the arc in which your shadows become an issue. Now is it this arc or is another.
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

Okay... so uh... I'm still very confused. You never really specified HOW these mechanics you've planned work... just that they exist. So... how DO they work? Are we in control of both our character and that shadow? How do we fight? I guess... I'll make a list? Questions that need actual answers.

1) How does combat work?
2) Whose in control of Shadows?
3) What are these MP Effects?
4) What are these two factors of HP?
5) How do bosses take damage?
6) Can we refuse the call? Because... I am. So uh... yeah. I hope it is or yelp, I'm breaking the rules. Sorry my ego is too big.
7) The very definition of Shadow and Persona actually do require you to accept your dark side, like... the very definition.
8) That wasn't a question, but yeah?
9) What are these mechanics you have? We need to know them so we don't straight up break them.

Also it was Nyarlathotep. He's the Big Bad Puppet Master of the Persona series as a whole, but has been in the background in P3 and P4, meaning most don't know about him. And losing your Persona is unheard of because it's never been done yet. It was almost done in P4A but, to be fair, the writing was pretty bad (because it's a fighting game so the pacing is awful), so no one really sat in despair too long. They could have lost their Personas, they just didn't.
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.