The Return of Whodunnit! Part 3 The Electric Boogaloo

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Are you interested in playing Whodunnit again? Part 3 The Electric Boogaloo

Yes
25%
Depends on the timezone
25%
Change how Whodunnit works and I'll play
No votes
No
50%

Total votes: 4

Jim Raynor
Spoken languages: I know, you know...
Location: From Mar Sara, taking care of the Zerg infestation.

The Return of Whodunnit! Part 3 The Electric Boogaloo

Post by Jim Raynor »

Greetings, detectives! Is anyone interested in playing a Whodunnit Round this summer?

Edit: Would anybody like to have Whodunnit for 2 hours once per week on like a Saturday? It would ease things for everybody. Also, I don't take credit for this idea. It's all Singi's idea. (An update, of course. It'd look too weird if I put this at the bottom of this starting post.)

For the new players below:

Let's face it. If you're on the Ace Attorney forums, you probably enjoy murder mysteries. Whodunnit, created by DudeWithAMask, is a game all about murder mysteries. Do your best to solve these murders. If you can. (Assuming you aren't already dead.) Don't worry - it's nothing too complicated.
Backstory
Any backstory you would like to add here

How It Works
Don't worry, it's nothing too complex. At the beginning of the game, the GM (me) will select the killer (obviously). Naturally, the other players will be oblivious to his existence. At the start of the game, you will also be provided with a map of the building where the game takes place which you will be free to explore. There are two possible ways for this game to be won:
The killer will win if he's able to kill all the other members without being caught.
The members win if they are able to pinpoint the killer.
Doors can be broken down if a majority of the living layers have voted and a majority of that majority vote to break the door down.

The killer's methods may range from locked rooms to a massacre. It's completely up to him/her. The killer will, however, PM me about the murder method and who he intends to kill. When that happens, a a blackout will occur. During this blackout, their characters will lose all track of their movements and their locations will be unknown to each other. The 'victims' for each blackout will be sent a PM 'You are dead'. (A bit anticlimactic, I know, but...) They will also be informed of any actions the killer might've wanted them to take before they get... uhm... hacked off. Once the killer selects you - that's it. You're done for. If he wants you to do something reasonable that will benefit his trick, you'll do it whether you like it or not. In other words, this could be used for some great manipulation by the killer. It's all a matter of creativity.

Being the killer offers you two benefits aside from that:
The killer gains the complete map of the building where the game takes place, including any secret passages, should they exist.
The killer gets to PM me of any secret actions (actions that other members will not be aware of, such as inspecting certain thing, taking certain things, etc.,etc.).

There's also a bit of an interesting condition for the innocent side - you win if you figure out the killer and if you are able to solve his crimes in entirety. In other words, if someone like Blackrune were to come along, and locked rooms started to pop up, you would still need to actually solve them. Can't accuse without proof!

Standard, Previous Round Rules (Unchanged)
The GM has all the normal GM rights. If something goes wrong, the GM can fix it. For instance, if it turns out that there are way too many rooms, the GM can magically close some of them off.
The killer's must've at least seen tools he uses to pull off his kills. If he has seen them and taken them with him secretly, then he can just use them at the time of the killing. If he has seen it but not taken it, he has to incorporate how he was able to get the weapon in his description of the crime.
At the start of each round, I will select a player I will call the 'detective'. That person has the right to use three secret actions. (In other words, do something that the other players and the killer himself is unaware of.)
The killer has the right to select an accomplice. This accomplice does not have to be revealed in the revealing of the solution. This accomplice cannot kill.
This accomplice is allowed to stay alive at the end (in other words, the killer doesn't have to kill him).
The killer has 12 Hours to kill everyone.
Time won't move in real-time, obviously. (In other words, I'll decide when I believe time should move forward.)
From the start, the killer has the right for ONE blackout per hour.
When the clock reaches the 12th hour and the killer failed to kill everyone, the killer has lost. However! During this time, other members will be forced to make their choice of the killer and explain the mystery. Should their answer be incorrect, nobody wins.
The killer's actions MUST be possible within his physical limitations (you can't just get out of a locked room like a magician...)
Label your actions with green, please. It would make things much easier:

Code: Select all

[color=#008000][b][/b][/color]
All of the entrants, please keep your online status hidden while playing.
The culprit cannot pickpocket during the blackout.

Map goes here if I recall.

New/Devil Rules
A major change will be brought to the survivors. While a detective with three secrets actions will still be in place:
Each survivor that doesn't posses any of the roles mentioned above has the right to ONE secret action during the round.

At the beginning of the game, all survivors are given a special... "power". They have a shot to throw ONE blue truth at me per round, the game master. For those of you who don't know, a blue truth is a theory or a hypothesis the player makes in trying to solve the crime. I, the game master, will respond to that blue truth, with a red truth (in other words, I will truthfully respond to it, either shooting it down or confirming it). Of course, simply saying "incorrect" is not acceptible. In other words... yeah - I will have to explain why that isn't correct. Remember, you get only one per round. The reason this is one - the killer can be extremely vague and not leave enough clues, leaving the survivors to lose in the end because of one incorrect detail and two, because it will force the killer to come up with a clever and out-of-the-box way of killing his or hers victims.

Some general rules for this round:
The killer can't god-mod. In other words, you can't magically knock 5 people out in one room. Nope. Sorry, pal, doesn't work that way. No sir.
Secret actions such as pickpocketing will be informed to the person on the recieving end (in other words, they WILL notice). This can also apply to certain situations in that sense (a secret action that I, for example, find extremely obvious or something similar).
There cannot exist more than 1 secret passage. These bastard have pretty much screwed you over in the past, and really gave a killer WAY, WAY more advantage than it should've (I'm looking at you, Round 2!)
Last edited by Jim Raynor on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

Golden Sun 4 coming out on the Switch with Golden Sun remakes of the first two games?
Was previously Ryuusai09.
Credit to Gumpei.

Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite video game composer.
My favorite video game companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, former Rare, and former 3DO Company before it shut down.
Spoiler : Favorite characters in video games :
Starcraft: Jim Raynor, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul, Artanis, Alexi Stukov
Army Men: Sarge Hawk, Riff
Warcraft: Grommash (Grom) Hellscream, Thrall
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth (And a GK2 character which I shall not add here.)
SRT/SRW: Sanger Zonvolt, Kyosuke Nanbu, Elzam V. Branstein
Zohar the Shiny
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Return of Whodunnit!

Post by Zohar the Shiny »

Jim Raynor wrote:Remember, you get only one per round. The reason this is one - the killer can be extremely vague and not leave enough clues, leaving the survivors to lose in the end because of one incorrect detail and two, because it will force the killer to come up with a clever and out-of-the-box way of killing his or hers victims.
So, what exactly does this even mean? Do you want the killers to be vague, not leave enough clues, and make it incredibly hard for the survivors to guess the true solution? Or is that something you want to prevent?
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Ryuu told me he didn't plan to actually run the round, rather he wanted to gauge interest. So, if everyone would be fine with it... I'd be happy to run one starting sometime this week.
Jim Raynor

Post by Jim Raynor »

Zohar the Shiny wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:Remember, you get only one per round. The reason this is one - the killer can be extremely vague and not leave enough clues, leaving the survivors to lose in the end because of one incorrect detail and two, because it will force the killer to come up with a clever and out-of-the-box way of killing his or hers victims.
So, what exactly does this even mean? Do you want the killers to be vague, not leave enough clues, and make it incredibly hard for the survivors to guess the true solution? Or is that something you want to prevent?
It means to balance things, like to have one blue truth and not spam the heck out of the solutions that may or may not be correct, so they won't be overpowered. It would not be fair to the killer as he/she would have less of an advantage.
enigma wrote:Ryuu told me he didn't plan to actually run the round, rather he wanted to gauge interest. So, if everyone would be fine with it... I'd be happy to run one starting sometime this week.
Indeed. I would like to see what you will have as the backstory and such. (inb4rena)

Golden Sun 4 coming out on the Switch with Golden Sun remakes of the first two games?
Credit to Gumpei.

My favorite video game companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, former Rare, and former 3DO Company before it shut down.
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth (And a GK2 character which I shall not add here.)
Jim Raynor

Post by Jim Raynor »

If there's no problem with anybody here, I would like to make a double post as this topic will no longer be of use.

However, from the looks of it, people are indeed still interested in Whodunnit. So I make way to Enigma's Whodunnit Round. :P

> Enigma's Whodunnit Round: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... 51#p667451

Thanks to everyone who voted, we shall meet in Enigma's Whodunnit round and many more rounds when there's interest even afterwards. :D Have fun, and take care!

...though if there's anything anyone wants to say, they can say it before I lock this topic. (I might bring this topic back in the future.)

Credit to Gumpei.

Jim Raynor

Re: The Return of Whodunnit! Part 2

Post by Jim Raynor »

So I have gotten Got to unlock this topic. I have also redone the poll and added a third option...if there is another option you guys are interested, do tell me. I would like to add fourth option or so when needed.

This is another round of gauging interest for people who wants to host and play as a player. I also want to make it clear that I'm not hosting a round, only for people who have taken interest in hosting.

Credit to Gumpei.

Jim Raynor

Post by Jim Raynor »

Heh heh heh... I'm not done here! So much time has passed since the poll has unofficially (officially) ended. I'm bringing a renewal to this topic once again! Whodunnit needs changes (How much is depended on the host) for it to return, so go crazy or insane about it. :twisted:

Credit to Gumpei.

Jim Raynor

Post by Jim Raynor »

Hmmmm... This is my last attempt at bringing back Whodunnit. I would like to see if I can gauge interest one last time before Whodunnit dies. (No pun intended.) I'm going to redo the poll.

Edit: Would anybody like to have Whodunnit for 2 hours once per week on like a Saturday? It would ease things for everybody. Also, I don't take credit for this idea. It's all Singi's idea.

This will be added to the first post as well.

Credit to Gumpei.