Super Mario Maker thread

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

spd12
Spoken languages: English

Super Mario Maker thread

Post by spd12 »

Huh, we don't seem to have something like this already? OK.

Super Mario Maker is a game for Wii U released on September 11th, 2015. Using the gamepad, players are able to construct their own Mario-style sidescrolling levels across multiple game styles and level backdrops... or to take on gauntlets of levels created by other players. Blah, blah, blah.

Post your levels here, comment on others', that sort of thing.

Incidentally, today marks the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.' release in Japan!

To start off, here's mine. Keep in mind that uploads are not permanent, and the servers will be periodically cleaned of older or less-liked levels.

Peek-a-boo! - 40C9-0000-0031-CD8C (uploaded 9/13/15)
My first ever level, attempting to squeeze as much design as I could out of anything available right from the first startup. Nasty stuff pops out of pipes without fail, and one must be careful with how they hit blocks.

In The Koopa Navy - 51DE-0000-003F-FE1C (uploaded mid-late September '15)
My second level, treating the SMB1 theme like it were on the open seas instead. Bloopers and Cheep-Cheeps harass the hard (but still ornery) Rocky Wrench workers. They've even decided to infest their main cannons, how rude! It's gentler than the first one for the most part, but still ramps up to a nasty climax.

Red Shells & Red Shrooms - BBD1-0000-0064-3C53 (uploaded late September '15)
A simpler themed course. Mushroom platforms, red-shelled koopas, and theme-breaking blue dropping platforms. Lots of fun hidden secrets, incentivized the only way I could think of. On the whole much easier than my previous works, with some optional difficult bits.
Last edited by spd12 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reverie

Re: Super Mario Maker thread

Post by Reverie »

Pathways of Piranhas - 0F32-0000-0032-E240 (uploaded 09/12/15)
Fairly standard first-level stuff that gives off that amateurish feel, not exactly kaizo hard but fairly difficult, and has some alternate ways to do most bits.

(Are you sure your code there is correct? It doesn't seem to work...)
Last edited by Reverie on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
spd12

Post by spd12 »

Whoops, mistakenly put a B where there should've been an eight instead. That's been fixed.

I'll hit your level up a bit later, already Mario'd myself out for the afternoon.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

D256-0000-0026-F918
My level, Precision Decision. 45 plays and one completion as of my posting this. Good luck.

F0E4-0000-001D-645D
My sister's level, Spelunking. Simpler than mine but with a very tricky start.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Trybien

Post by Trybien »

AAB7-0000-0053-CB28
My first level, Sisterhood of the Mobile Spring. I wish you guys the best of luck in this one.

Edit: COCB-0000-005F-13FA
New level with more thought and balance behind it entitled Leap of Faith. I really hope you guys have fun with this one.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
spd12

Post by spd12 »

OK, put up three more of my levels, at OP.

It includes the ever uber-popular Auto Mario genre, a true masterpiece of what is possible to communicate to a player they shouldn't do anything but hold right and enjoy the ride.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

spd12 wrote:OK, put up three more of my levels, at OP.

It includes the ever uber-popular Auto Mario genre, a true masterpiece of what is possible to communicate to a player they shouldn't do anything but hold right and enjoy the ride.
Spd, your Auto Mario level is game design at its purest. Thanks to the work of art you have created, I can truly appreciate the wonders of "Auto Mario".

In other news, created a water level I am very proud of and am currently in the process of trying to beat a castle level so I can upload it, but precision platforing has never been my strong suit and beating it in one go will take the crap out of me. Expect codes for those once the castle level is uploaded.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Legal Double Post Time with two more codes.

Hold Your Breath: 8370-0000-0061-7C36
A straightforward water level that holds quite a bit of difficulty if you just try to rush through it. If you want to get through the hoards of enemies and the fireball field, take your time and find the tools that will aid in your escape.

Castle's Castle: CA38-0000-0081-B3DB
The level that took me a week to beat. This level demands extremely precise platforming, and regardless of the few shortcuts present, this level is no less unforgiving. I'm sorry.
spd12

Post by spd12 »

It's been two months, huh. Well, the game is still being played, may as well share this with what AAO types still play too.

Mario's Turbo Tunnel (hold item): C2C1-0000-0108-CA02 - Newest level. Underwater autoscroll! I'm able to do this without being hit at all, so I think it might be okay? The pacing seems to work best if you go near the front screen where possible, but there's lots of mushrooms around and also checkpoints, so worst case scenario you can probably damage boost through it. (NOTE: I deleted it, low popularity.)

Fake Difficulty - Just skip it (hearts): FFB2-0000-00EF-F765 - Just know that it has a checkpoint, so clearly it is a fair level design and I will hear no complaints about its composition. I say it right in the beginning it's fake difficulty. (Seriously, play it, you won't regret it.)

Enjoy! I'm working on a Fire Emblem-themed level next.
Last edited by spd12 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spd12

Post by spd12 »

I guess we're over Mario Maker on this corner of the internet? Oh, well.

Nonetheless, I bring those of you who still peek in and play... a few more levels.

A Popular Musical Theme...??? ♪♥: E023-0000-0119-E025 - A musical level! You all know how these go. Come play and listen to all the meticulously arranged enemy and block placements that... might resemble a popular musical theme. Maybe. You'll just have to find out.

Yamamura's Mandate 1: 43CD-0000-011B-ACE0 - There was an amusing comic a while back about Yamamura (the pigeon) not being happy with Mary O.'s design skills... and challenged everyone to make a basic course with the first twelve elements, without having any amount of upward scroll. This is the result. (NOTE: I deleted it, very low popularity.)

Unfortunately, I must report a casualty: Nintendo has put stricter rules on what can be in a level's name, to prevent people from fishing for likes and stars. Thus, my satirical Auto Mario stage, which had stars in its name, was no longer legal... so I removed it.

For those of you on the fence, get Super Mario Maker if you have a Wii U! You can bet I'll probably still be making levels that bounce between nuance, novelty, and nonsense alike for a while to come.
Last edited by spd12 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

My sister finally beat my attempt at a Mario Maker level, and thus it is now up for you all to play. Please note that while it's beatable, and quite a short level, it's got... 2, I'd say, small examples of fake difficulty. Because I am a sadist at heart. And also because it's sort of inspired by a certain BAD TIME in gaming.

Overall, however, this should be a... hopefully decently challenging little level to have some fun with.

Pipe Dream Dash: A6CD-0000-013C-12AE

(Also, if you're confused by the mii/name, it's my sisters game/account.)

And here's a fun little collaboration between us:

Animal Crossing Simulator: 5586-0000-013D-00A0
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

These new levels finally got me back into this thing.

1-4: Pathways Ablaze - 97C5-0000-013F-CE4A (uploaded 26/12/15).

For all zero of you wondering about the number, this was supposed to be the fourth level in a four level world (with each level having "Pathways" in the title to match the first one). I was going to wait to upload it with the other two, but eventually after fiiiinally beating it, I couldn't wait. Levels 2 and 3 will come... eh, whenever.
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

-
Last edited by Reverie on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Welp, I might as well post my horrible levels...

Bower's Castle Challenges: 4FD8-0000-0034-9F60

Ghost House of Fire and Ice: 43B6-0000-006A-ACF6

Mind Your Jump... (updated version with checkpoint): 268A-0000-00DA-E2D2

Below the Airships (updated version with checkpoint): D746-0000-00DA-F232 (No Longer Works)

Bonecoaster Terror: BC27-0000-00E0-67CF
Last edited by Spongesonic on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
spd12

Post by spd12 »

Here's another one from me.

Yamaura and the bad level.: B4C7-0000-0191-A9E7

Yamamura the pigeon is a master of Mario course design. He finds a course he does not want to play, so he doesn't. He does something else entirely.