Aviary Attorney

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Ami
Spoken languages: English

Aviary Attorney

Post by Ami »

So this game is amazing. Seriously, it has everything I love about Ace Attorney in there. Go get it. Get it twice. I just played through the first case, and I love every minute of it.
since 2008!
PhoenixRises123

Re: Aviary Attorney

Post by PhoenixRises123 »

So The Great Ace Attorney with Birds basically?
Ami

Post by Ami »

PhoenixRises123 wrote:So The Great Ace Attorney with Birds basically?
Yep. And French-themed instead of British/Japanese. There's some things in the mechanics that are different, but otherwise it's pretty much in line with other games inspired by it like Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher.
since 2008!
spd12

Post by spd12 »

Wait on buying it until they patch in that missing ending that's currently not in the retail build. (It's sneaky, it's hidden almost as a footnote at the end of the store description.)

Beyond that and hearing about a bunch of bugs, consensus is is that it's pretty charming.
Ami

Post by Ami »

spd12 wrote:Wait on buying it until they patch in that missing ending that's currently not in the retail build. (It's sneaky, it's hidden almost as a footnote at the end of the store description.)

Beyond that and hearing about a bunch of bugs, consensus is is that it's pretty charming.
That patch is actually supposed to be coming tomorrow or the day after. Anyway, 'bunch of bugs' isn't quite accurate in my experience, though I heard the Save & Quit feature (as opposed to the auto-save which works fine) was disabled for a while, but in all honesty? You'll never need it.
since 2008!
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

My thoughts on Aviary Attorney are mixed, honestly.
Spoiler : Review - Has Minor Spoilers (Shouldn't go past case 2) :
The art style looks great, as do the little touches to the presentation and the overall atmosphere of the world. It all just works and that's really something to be commended for. And really - for what is there - I would be lying if I said I didn't have fun! ...But for the asking price, a mere 3 hours isn't really that much. (Especially since those 3 hours include both of two CURRENTLY available endings and re-doing one entire chapter, plus a period of like 20 minutes where I didn't play it).

And don't get me wrong - I have nothing against short games. And I understand that considering the time and effort, there needs to be something the developers can live off of. I understand that. I also understand that there is replay value depending on some of the different stuff you do during the cases, but the overall outcome (assuming you want to win, naturally) will always be the same.

My main issue is that the more I distanced myself from the game and actually thought about it - it doesn't... actually have that much aside from the visuals. For one, the cases are short and all generally contain one to two twists to them (and none are really those classic AA "oooooo" moments when the case gets completely turned on its head). If you've collected all the evidence (which isn't really that difficult to do, with the exception of case 3) the contradictions are extremely easy and the case moves in a direction you pretty much expect it to go. There was simply no tension for me. It almost felt to me as if the plot wasn't even the main focus so much as it was tacking a plot onto this unique art style. I don't know.

Again - I had fun with it, but I can tell you that it most certainly wasn't for the mystery or the overly-deep characters.

Another thing would be the Ending C thing. Yeah, it's really unacceptable. I would understand if it was the 'true end' (which, by the by, isn't really that great for me personally either) but it's a bad end that almost everyone on case 3 comes across during their first playthrough. If you're playing through the game now - I guarantee you'll see it.

As for bugs - I didn't really experience a whole lot personally, so it could be that people are just pissed off that they keep getting to the unfinished end no matter what they do.

(Though, to be fair, there was a bug in case 2 where I reached a major plot twist before the first trial section and nobody batted an eye, showing me that I'd clearly reached it earlier than I was supposed to.)