The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

ShadowEdgeworth
Spoken languages: English

The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

Wikipedia wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Sonikku za Hejjihoggu), trademarked Sonic The Hedgehog, is a video game character and the main protagonist of the Sonic video game series released by Sega, as well as in numerous spin-off comics, cartoons, and a feature film. The first Sonic game was released on June 23, 1991, in order to provide Sega with a mascot to rival Nintendo's flagship character Mario (see 1991 in video gaming). Since then, Sonic has become one of the world's best-known video game characters, with his series having sold more than 70 million copies. In 2005, Sonic was one of the first game character inductees into the Walk of Game, alongside Mario and Link.
In this topic, all things regarding the dynamic blue hedgehog can be discussed, whether it be about the games, the comics, the numerous TV shows, pairings, anything. :D

Personally, I love Sonic. His games are awesome, (Bar Sonic 06 and that Werehog part of Unleashed) the supporting cast are mainly cool, (Big, Silver and the whole of Team Chaotix GTHO) He is superior to Mario in every way, it's not worth an in-depth comparision. ;)

Sonic Colors is my personal favourite of the 3D Sonic series, while Sonic 3 & Knuckles remains to be my favourite 2D game.

I for one, will be looking forward to Sonic 4: Episode 2, and Sonic Anniverary with great anticipation. :D

So, what's everyone's view on the Blue Blur? Love him? Hate him? Or do you only like certain games? Or do you think they're all way past cool? :calisto:

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
Master Of Chaos

Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Post by Master Of Chaos »

I consider Mario and Sonic equal in my gaming experience. *Shot*

I like the games a lot. (cept Sonic Free riders, Kinnect's bad setup ruined it, and 06, which I will never consider a Sonic game)

I want Sonic 4 bad, but I have yet to get enough money on my PS3 to get it. Is it worth it?
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
Meph

Post by Meph »

I approve of this thread!

Sonic 1 was the first game I played in my life! I must have been about 6 at the time, so I didn't get very far. :P I did well on Sonic 2, though.

Sonic 4 was poor because of the physics and it had green eyes! :XD: (you have to be in the know to get that joke :P )
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

Tehchaosmaster wrote:I consider Mario and Sonic equal in my gaming experience. *Shot*

I like the games a lot. (cept Sonic Free riders, Kinnect's bad setup ruined it, and 06, which I will never consider a Sonic game)

I want Sonic 4 bad, but I have yet to get enough money on my PS3 to get it. Is it worth it?
Sonic 4 is pretty good, although the physics are a little dodgy. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

I should say though, that I liked Shadow the Hedgehog (Xbox) so my credibility is pretty low... :lol:
Meph wrote:I approve of this thread!

Sonic 1 was the first game I played in my life! I must have been about 6 at the time, so I didn't get very far. :P I did well on Sonic 2, though.

Sonic 4 was poor because of the physics and it had green eyes! :XD: (you have to be in the know to get that joke :P )
Ah, yes, the Sonic fandom are quite the insatiable bunch... xD

Ah, yes, (again) Sonic 2 was the first game I remember playing. :D

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
Ryu Ushiromiya
Spoken languages: American English, Español (Puerto Rico)

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

You flamed Team Chaotix and Sonic 06. Prepare to die. :twisted: (Yes I loved Sonic 06 even if the plot was ridiculous at times XD)
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! CLICK HERE PLEASE?
Apologies if I do not reply in a timely manner. Sig by Tap!

Master Of Chaos

Ryu Ushiromiya wrote:You flamed Team Chaotix and Sonic 06. Prepare to die. :twisted: (Yes I loved Sonic 06 even if the plot was ridiculous at times XD)
I'll admit, I like TC, (Hell, Espio is my Bro's favorite character) but Sonic 06 SUCKED! It is worse than Miley Cyrus's acting career!
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
Ryu Ushiromiya

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

In its defense, Sonic 06 had some amazing music, like Crisis City. And the graphics were gorgeous. (ADMIT IT. SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS; YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.)

Master Of Chaos

Ryu Ushiromiya wrote:In its defense, Sonic 06 had some amazing music, like Crisis City. And the graphics were gorgeous. (ADMIT IT. SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS; YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.)
Good graphics and good music do not make up for horrible game-play, And annoying game designs. (I mean YOU Silver :evil: )

SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Lol I knew you'd start something like this, Edgey :P

I LOVE Sonic. Though I admit I haven't been motivated to play Colors all that much. It just isn't as fun as some of the others, in my opinion. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle remains my favorite Sonic game ever and my favorite GameCube game after Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. The 2D ones don't really do it for me- they're fun, but IMO they lack the depth and pure baddassery that the 3D ones nail so perfectly. Here's how I rank the games:

1. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle- Some people hate on Shadow. He's my favorite character in the franchise. Go figure. The ending of this made me cry. Though I HATE how you only actually play as Shadow in four real levels and four boss battles. Let's just forget the torturous treasure-hunting levels never happened. And I actually did enjoy the robot levels, even if they did seem out of place in the Sonic world.

2. Sonic and the Secret Rings- I LOVE this game. They nail every single part of the structure of this game, from bosses to collect-em-alls to avoid-em-alls. Some levels are far too short and simple, though, and in some levels the aiming for homing attacks doesn't work very well. The minigames don't really add much to the game, either (though the one with the steel balls on chains standing on top of giant towers was fun). The final boss was just bizarre, but in a good way. A great game.

2. Sonic Heroes- Again, I love this game when a lot of others don't. I don't hate Team Chaotix, though their voice acting needs some tons of work. The multiplayer is fun in this game, too, as are the cutscenes. I just wish they did a little bit more in terms of story- the team structure set it up to be pretty good plot-wise, but then they just end up with some pre-level cutscenes and some battle cutscenes. Though the final boss was AMAZING.

3. Shadow the Hedgehog- Forget the people who hate it. Shadow the Hedgehog was FUN. Not as tight as the other games in the series, but still a blast. However, the poorly done branching/ending structures did put a damper on things. I hated how all of the endings were basically identical in structure, just with slightly different actual lines. But the epic final story made up for all that, even if it does directly contradict some of the standard endings.

4. Sonic Chaos- Fun. Not really much else to say here, really.

5. Sonic Advance- While the platforming segments of this are fun, the Chaos Emeralds are HELL to get. Mainly because the GBA CANNOT DO PIXEL-PERFECT 3D. DON'T TRY IT IF YOU CAN'T DO IT. Seriously, the graphics are SO BAD in the Chaos Emerald levels that half of them are pure guesswork even when you can SEE THE DAMN RINGS. I just gave up on hunting those down, honestly.

6. Sonic Colors- Fun, but just not as fun as the others. I don't know why. Also, the levels in this game are generally disappointingly short (I literally completed a level in about twenty seconds on the first try). I like longer, more challenging treks like in SA2B. Still, the Wisps are a fun gameplay device.

7. Sonic Unleashed- Honestly, I just quit after about three Werehog levels. It's just not worth it.

Those are all the ones I've played enough to render at least early judgement on them. I love Sonic, but Mario is still very close. I want to see a real Mario-Sonic crossover, not some cheap, dime-a-dozen minigame collection.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Kazuko

Post by Kazuko »

I used to do sonic Sprite vids but I quit XD
Ryu Ushiromiya

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

Tehchaosmaster wrote:
Ryu Ushiromiya wrote:In its defense, Sonic 06 had some amazing music, like Crisis City. And the graphics were gorgeous. (ADMIT IT. SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS; YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.)
Good graphics and good music do not make up for horrible game-play, And annoying game designs. (I mean YOU Silver :evil: )
Hey, I've been a gamer for almost 20 years. I know good from bad. And Sonic 06 has... a little of both. XD I didn't mind Silver though. He was different.

Super- Shadow the Hedgehog (game) is a blight and an abomination to the great franchise of Sonic the Hedgehog. I don't care much for Colors though. :T

Jim Raynor
Spoken languages: I know, you know...
Location: From Mar Sara, taking care of the Zerg infestation.

Post by Jim Raynor »

ShadowEdgeworth wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Sonikku za Hejjihoggu), trademarked Sonic The Hedgehog, is a video game character and the main protagonist of the Sonic video game series released by Sega, as well as in numerous spin-off comics, cartoons, and a feature film. The first Sonic game was released on June 23, 1991, in order to provide Sega with a mascot to rival Nintendo's flagship character Mario (see 1991 in video gaming). Since then, Sonic has become one of the world's best-known video game characters, with his series having sold more than 70 million copies. In 2005, Sonic was one of the first game character inductees into the Walk of Game, alongside Mario and Link.
In this topic, all things regarding the dynamic blue hedgehog can be discussed, whether it be about the games, the comics, the numerous TV shows, pairings, anything. :D

Personally, I love Sonic. His games are awesome, (Bar Sonic 06 and that Werehog part of Unleashed) the supporting cast are mainly cool, (Big, Silver and the whole of Team Chaotix GTHO) He is superior to Mario in every way, it's not worth an in-depth comparision. ;)

Sonic Colors is my personal favourite of the 3D Sonic series, while Sonic 3 & Knuckles remains to be my favourite 2D game.

I for one, will be looking forward to Sonic 4: Episode 2, and Sonic Anniversary with great anticipation. :D

So, what's everyone's view on the Blue Blur? Love him? Hate him? Or do you only like certain games? Or do you think they're all way past cool? :calisto:
Sega's making Sonic Anniversary? O_o

Please tell me what systems will that be on, Shadow. XD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

Golden Sun 4 coming out on the Switch with Golden Sun remakes of the first two games?
Was previously Ryuusai09.
Credit to Gumpei.

Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite video game composer.
My favorite video game companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, former Rare, and former 3DO Company before it shut down.
Spoiler : Favorite characters in video games :
Starcraft: Jim Raynor, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul, Artanis, Alexi Stukov
Army Men: Sarge Hawk, Riff
Warcraft: Grommash (Grom) Hellscream, Thrall
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth (And a GK2 character which I shall not add here.)
SRT/SRW: Sanger Zonvolt, Kyosuke Nanbu, Elzam V. Branstein
Master Of Chaos

Kazuko wrote:I used to do sonic Sprite vids but I quit XD
On youtube?

Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Ping' »

Used to be a SEGA guy, so of course I have a particular fondness for the Megadrive Sonic episodes, I also liked the Game Boy Advance one and the Sonic Adventures =)
It's a very charismatic franchise, doesn't have the substance/depth/level design of its historic rival but it doesn't pretend to, it works for completely different reasons.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »