The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Master Of Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread!

Post by Master Of Chaos »

The cartoon show is actually decent thou. The games were terrible
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
PhoenixRises123

Post by PhoenixRises123 »

2016, Sonic's 25th birthday, hope this will be as good as Generations, maybe even better!
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

PhoenixRises123 wrote:2016, Sonic's 25th birthday, hope this will be as good as Generations, maybe even better!
God knows SEGA needs it right now...
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
WhiteZekrom

Post by WhiteZekrom »

Spongesonic IN COURT wrote:
PhoenixRises123 wrote:2016, Sonic's 25th birthday, hope this will be as good as Generations, maybe even better!
There has been a rumor flying around of a third Sonic Adventure game for home-console and a portable Sonic game supposedly titled "Sonic Genesis" or something like that that's centered on the origins of the Chaos Emerald and Chaos and has Sonic travel back in time.

But it's just that, a rumor. And we've been getting Adventure 3 rumors for years.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

WhiteZekrom wrote:
Spongesonic IN COURT wrote:
There has been a rumor flying around of a third Sonic Adventure game for home-console and a portable Sonic game supposedly titled "Sonic Genesis" or something like that that's centered on the origins of the Chaos Emerald and Chaos and has Sonic travel back in time.

But it's just that, a rumor. And we've been getting Adventure 3 rumors for years.
We do NOT need another Sonic Genesis! God knows one horrible port was enough...
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
Jim Raynor
Spoken languages: I know, you know...
Location: From Mar Sara, taking care of the Zerg infestation.

Post by Jim Raynor »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/23/ ... -announced

This looks interesting. Can't wait for it next year and I hope it comes to the Nintendo NX next year since that's when it is out.

Edit: Looks like another Sonic game is coming as well. http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/23/ ... intendo-nx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

Golden Sun 4 coming out on the Switch with Golden Sun remakes of the first two games?
Was previously Ryuusai09.
Credit to Gumpei.

Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite video game composer.
My favorite video game companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, former Rare, and former 3DO Company before it shut down.
Spoiler : Favorite characters in video games :
Starcraft: Jim Raynor, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul, Artanis, Alexi Stukov
Army Men: Sarge Hawk, Riff
Warcraft: Grommash (Grom) Hellscream, Thrall
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth (And a GK2 character which I shall not add here.)
SRT/SRW: Sanger Zonvolt, Kyosuke Nanbu, Elzam V. Branstein
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

cant wait to see how they screw this up

also those wings on the sonic mania logo look AWFUL.
ArkhamKnight

Post by ArkhamKnight »

Sleuth wrote:cant wait to see how they screw this up

also those wings on the sonic mania logo look AWFUL.
Don't think they'll screw this one up. It's being made by the same guys behind Generations, and that was a real good game.
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

I think Sonic Mania looks really cool. I'm looking forward to playing it.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

GUYS IM SUPER HYPED HELP ME THE HYPE MIGHT OVERLOAD AND MAKE ME EXPLODE
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
Jim Raynor
Spoken languages: I know, you know...
Location: From Mar Sara, taking care of the Zerg infestation.

Post by Jim Raynor »

I want this game. I really enjoyed playing the Sega Genesis Sonic games. XD Though I have yet to play Sonic CD.

SONIC MANIA: 8 Minutes of Hands-On Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

Golden Sun 4 coming out on the Switch with Golden Sun remakes of the first two games?
Was previously Ryuusai09.
Credit to Gumpei.

Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite video game composer.
My favorite video game companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, former Rare, and former 3DO Company before it shut down.
Spoiler : Favorite characters in video games :
Starcraft: Jim Raynor, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul, Artanis, Alexi Stukov
Army Men: Sarge Hawk, Riff
Warcraft: Grommash (Grom) Hellscream, Thrall
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth (And a GK2 character which I shall not add here.)
SRT/SRW: Sanger Zonvolt, Kyosuke Nanbu, Elzam V. Branstein
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

I love how every Sonic Mania review on the planet keeps conveniently forgetting that there were good Sonic games that came out after 3 and Knuckles.

in all seriousness i love mania so much but dang it this irks me so much
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

I've spent a considerable amount of time with Mania and Forces and trying to collect my thoughts on the games... so here goes.
Spoiler : Sonic Mania Thoughts :
Everyone seems to be in love with Mania, and... yeah, I'm no exception. When people say that this is one of the best Sonic games released in a while, they're not joking. Granted, if the previous post I've made on this thread is any indication, I don't believe that it's been the only good Sonic game since the Genesis days, but regardless, this is truly an amazing experience.

I suppose I should start with the elephant in the room - the fact that this isn't the only attempt at making a follow-up to the classic games. Sonic 4 also notoriously tried to follow up on the classics... with little success. While many people chalk that up to 4's poor physics and bland level design, to me, that's not the main problem. Sonic 4 didn't work as a sequel because it was too much old and not enough new. Ideally, sequels should try to strike a balance between ideas that have been proven to work and new things to freshen it up, and Sonic 4 didn't really do anything to stand out. While many chalk up Mania's success to being a better representation of the classics by having better physics and level design, the real reason why Mania works as a follow-up is because it tries to do new things. Granted, 3/4ths of the stages are redone stages from past games, but often times the game will incorporate new ideas into the stage to make them feel more fresh and new.

Of the redone stages, we have Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Flying Battery, Stardust Speedway, Hydrocity, Lava Reef, and Metallic Madness. While it is a bit irritating to see Green Hill and Chemical Plant again after Generations already brought them back, (especially Green Hill, what with its overuse in not just this and Generations...) but I feel enough is done to make them feel new again. The structure for these redone zones is that one of the acts plays like the zone you remember, while the other act mixes it up and does something completely different, like the bouncing gel in Chemical Plant Act 2 and the boats and bubbles in Hydrocity Act 1. Of the redone zones, my favorite is Flying Battery, because while Act 1 plays pretty similarly to how it did in S3&K, Act 2 decides to not only give the entire zone a story weather aesthetic, but also made plenty of references to Wing Fortress from Sonic 2.

However, while the redone stages are great, the best stages are the ones that are completely new. Of the newer stages, I think Mirage Saloon is my favorite, if not just because I love the Wild West aesthetic. The other stages, Studiopolis, Press Garden, and Titanic Monarch, are also pretty great, with Press Garden Act 2 probably being the most gorgeous level in the game. These stages are usually where they break out the most original ideas, and even the ideas they rehash from previous games are used in new and unique ways. (For instance, Titanic Monarch Act 2 manages to reuse an idea from S3&K Bonus Stages of all things and does so in a way that needs to be seen to be appreciated.)

I suppose the only other things to talk about in terms of gameplay are the Bonus and Special Stages. The Bonus Stages are Blue Sphere from S3&K, which you reach by getting 50 rings and finding a goal post. Beating them gives you medals which unlock certain extras that you can access. Beating them normally gives you a silver medal, while beating them with a "Perfect" gets you a gold medal. The gold medals are only aesthetic as far as I can tell, so you don't have to get a perfect on every single Blue Sphere stage in order to 100% complete the game. While the Bonus Stages are fun, the fact that they are a completely rehashed idea and the fact that they are the only Bonus Stages in the game makes them kinda wear out their welcome.

The Special Stages, on the other hand, are something truly... well, special. Entering a Special Stage requires finding one of the many giant rings scattered throughout the levels, and the stages themselves play like a mix between Blue Sphere, the UFO Stages from Sonic CD, and even the Special Stages from Knuckles Chaotix. You basically run around a track trying to catch up to a UFO, and the way to do so is to collect the Blue Spheres scattered about the stage. Doing so makes you increase your speed, but that also makes it harder to turn. On top of that, the amount of time you have left is determined by a set amount of rings you have when you start the stage. You can collect more rings to extend the timer, but the timer always goes down by 1 ring per second and bumping into spikes decreases the ring count by 10. Falling off the stage or running out of rings kicks you out of the stage, but if you manage to catch up to the UFO, you get a Chaos Emerald, and of course, collect them all to unlock Super Sonic and the True Final Boss. Without saying much about it, it's challenging but fun... which is also how I would describe these Special Stages.

As for the visuals, they're great. They're kinda like what a 2D Sonic game would look like on the SEGA Saturn... while still taking advantage of today's technology by giving us a smooth framerate and widescreen support. Of course, the best thing about the presentation is the music. Tee Lopes was hired to write the music for this game... and they should really hire him again if there ever is a Mania 2. The soundtrack has some nice remixes of the older games' music, and the new music sounds very funky and well deserving of its praise.

Overall, the only big problem I can think of with Mania is that 75% of the game's stages are from older games, and while they do what they can to alleviate the problem, it still kinda makes Mania lack an identity. For that reason, while it's close, it still doesn't top S3&K as my favorite 2D Sonic game. However, that still doesn't mean that Mania isn't amazing, and if they make a Mania 2 with completely original stages and ideas, I'll be all over it... hell, it might even be enough to overthrow S3&K for me. In short, Mania is a near-perfect blend of old and new ideas, and it is absolutely a must-buy.

9/10
And with that out of the way...
Spoiler : Sonic Forces Thoughts :
Hooooo boy. Whereas most people are in agreement with Mania, Forces is a bit of a different story. Everywhere I look, I see different opinions on Forces, and it doesn't seem like anybody can really agree on the game. Some think it's an amazing game and one of the best 3D Sonic games ever made. Others think that it's a horrible dumpster fire and that you should stay away from it at all costs. And then there's the third group, which is the group that thinks it's merely mediocre. Of course, that's not to say that nobody is somewhere in between these three opinions, but these seem to be the three most common opinions I see.

I guess I should start with the plot (which I didn't go over with Mania because it wasn't as big of a focus). Basically, Eggman has recruited a brand new person to his team named Infinite, who wields a mysterious power source that allows him to beat Sonic. With Sonic defeated, Eggman takes over the world and leaves it in shambles, causing Sonic's friends to form a Resistance with Knuckles as the leader. (Yes, Knuckles.) He recruits a new person (...animal?) to the team who everyone just calls "Rookie," (who is your own custom character) and they soon find out that Sonic is alive and well, being held captive on the Death Egg. The rookie saves Sonic and the two team up from that point onward. Meanwhile, Tails, not knowing that Sonic is alive, has basically given up all hope until he meets with Classic Sonic. The two of them team up and go around the world, doing... something... it's not that well explained... and the two of them grow a bond... sorta. That's the basic plot in a nutshell, without going beyond the first third of it.

Overall, the plot is... just there. They try to go darker and edgier with the storytelling, but beyond a few cutscenes nobody really acts in a way that makes it seem like anything is much different from the Sonic norm. Not even the new villain, Infinite, is really anything that special. They try to make him cool and mysterious, but he just kinda says a few intimidating things before Sonic and friends fight him, and without giving much away, his backstory is weak and by the end he's practically taken out of the story. The only real mystery surrounding him is what powers him, and even then it's revealed about a third of the way in that what powers him is the same plot device from Mania. It seems like they had a lot of neat ideas for the story, but none of them are fully realized.

Sadly, what I just said about how none of the cool ideas being fully realized applies to the gameplay as well. For Modern Sonic, we're returning to the boost formula... and it's probably the weakest iteration of it thus far. There's enjoyment to be had just blasting about at full speed and mowing down everything in your path, but at no point does the game ever really try to challenge you in anyway other than just to get to the end as fast as you can. The biggest problem with Modern Sonic is that it suffers from the Sonic 4 syndrome of "been there, done that." For what it's worth, it's not horrible, and if you're just looking for a bit of dumb fun where you don't have to think about it too hard, then Modern Sonic will give you what you want. However, it doesn't have the high skill ceiling of Unleashed, the wacky and weird concepts of Colors, or the superb level design of Generations.

Next up is the Avatar, and while I can't say the Avatar stages get that much more complex, they do have a bit more going on. They basically play like Modern Sonic, but instead of the boost, you get the ability to use "Wispons," which are weapons that allow you to use the powers of Wisps to your advantage. (No, it's never explained why they're still around.) All the Wispons have their own uses and are rather mindlessly fun to use (except Cube... never use Cube...), and they lead to a variety of different pathways, but like Modern Sonic, you kinda have to turn your brain off to get the most enjoyment out of it. There are also Tag Team stages where Sonic and the Avatar team up, but all that really happens with those is that you're allowed to Boost and use the Wispons at the same time. For what it's worth, I do believe that making the characters play similarly to Modern Sonic with their different abilities being what separates them is how multiple player characters should be handled in Sonic games.

Of course, we can't talk about the Avatar without talking about the character customization. You have seven species to chose from - Wolves, which draw in items, Dog, which allows you to restart with some rings if you die, Bunny, which extends the amount of invincibility frames if you take a hit, Bear, which blows enemies away if using a Wire Attack (which is basically just a Homing Attack with a different name), Cat, which allows you to hold onto some rings after taking damage, Bird, which allows you to perform a double jump (which actually isn't as useful as it sounds), and Hedgehog, which makes dropped rings stay around for longer. They all play similarly overall, and the differences between them are rather minor, so you don't have to worry about what species you choose radically changing up the game in any way. There's also a fair amount of customization when it comes to the appearance of the Avatar, with three different heads for each species, several different eyes, multiple ways to color your character, and the plethora of different clothing options that are rewarded to you for completing missions. Overall, its ironic that what people thought would turn out the be the cringiest part of the game was actually its best feature.

With all that said, the last gameplay style to talk about is Classic Sonic... and there's no beating around the bush, he's the worst part of the game. It's not just because we have Mania to compare him to, either. Even compared to Generations, he fails. This is mainly because he feels so awkward and stiff to control... and this wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the game never seems like it was built with his physics in mind. Because of that, playing Classic Sonic can be rather unenjoyable, and one of his stages even has autoscrolling in it. Yes, autoscrolling. In a Sonic game. On the bright side, you won't be playing him as much, as his stages don't even take up a third of the game.

As for the graphics, they're... okay. It looks kinda like a fusion between the wonderful looking graphics of the first Hedgehog Engine and the more simplified graphics of Lost World. It's bright and colorful, but the first impression I get of the Hedgehog Engine 2 is that it's... definitely not as powerful as the first. As for the music, I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on it, but I quite like it. Modern Sonic's levels are a nice blend of techno and rock, Classic Sonic's levels have a much better Genesis synth than in Sonic 4 (except Green Hill... don't ask me what screwed up there), and the Avatar's levels are the absolute highlight when it comes to the music in the game. Though, overall, I can understand why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Overall, Sonic Forces is a game that I still don't really know what to make of. I mean, I played through and beat the game 100%, so that much mean I enjoyed the game on some level, but I also don't really feel a compulsion to go back and play it over and over again like I did with Generations (or hell, even Mania). I'd say that if you're at all interested in it, then you might wanna go for it, but only if you're fine with knowing that what you're getting into isn't really that complex or interesting. It's just a game to have some dumb fun with, and as far as dumb fun goes, you could do a lot worse than Forces. However, if you're looking for something with a bit more intelligent design, you're better off playing Generations again.

6/10
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Huzzah! I have returned from the dead! ...To post on a thread that's been dead for four years on a website where everyone is probably too busy gushing over Great Ace Attorney coming to Switch to really care about the escapades of one Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog. I could be actually be trying to do something productive, like trying to get back into writing, but I chose to do this instead. Clearly, I know how to spend my time wisely. Nevermind that I could actually try to seek out a Sonic fan forum to talk about this stuff, I just felt like doing it here because I'm gonna make fun of something I said on this thread.

So, I guess I'll get my thoughts about some of the Sonic stuff that's been announced as of late.
Spoiler : Sonic Colors Ultimate Thoughts :
Honestly, even though I love Colors, can't say I'm super excited about this one. Not that I'm not going to buy it, I probably am, but Sonic Colors is not really a game I felt needed a remake. For a Wii game it still looks great, and it still holds up remarkably well. I guess it's just not the most exciting game SEGA could have remade. Not that I actually put any stock into those rumors of Adventure remakes, but it just makes you think about what SEGA could do if they weren't so afraid of anything that happened in between the Classic Era and the Meta Era. Shame.

Still, maybe SEGA can do something interesting with this remake, and it's exciting that they're even remaking this game at all. Sonic remakes aren't exactly all too common, so maybe this will set a new trend for more exciting remakes in the future? That's assuming this game does well, which... it's Sonic Colors, it probably will. This is, like, the one 3D Sonic game critics seem to adore most for some reason. Never mind that it's only 20% a 3D Sonic game, if that. Though this does confirm critics have a phobia of the Z-axis.

Overall, while I'm not super stoked, this was a good announcement nonetheless, and I will be watching this one to see what news pops up about it in the future.
Spoiler : Sonic Origins Thoughts :
Oh look, yet another collection of all the Genesis Sonic platformers. Never seen that before.

In all seriousness, it is nice to see SEGA finally acknowledging Sonic 3 and Knuckles again, so I assume they got the legal issues worked out. And, although I'm not at all a fan of Sonic CD, it is nice to see it finally in a collection with the Genesis trilogy. I don't think that's been done before.

My hope for the collection is that they'll use the Christian Whitehead versions of those games. It's about time they finally got the superior versions of Sonic 1 and 2 off of mobile and actually onto a console. And, hey, if they do that, maybe Whitehead will finally work his magic on S3&K, at last. Sure, we've got Sonic 3 A.I.R., but it would be nice to get an official remake. It would be a serious missed opportunity to bring the best versions of 1, 2, and CD to new consoles, but to not even touch the best 2D Sonic game ever. Don't @ me.

Buuuuuut... if they don't do any of that and it's just another lazy ROM collection, I'm probably gonna pass. There are enough ways to play these games as is, you could play Sonic 1 on your toaster if you wanted to.
Spoiler : Sonic Prime Thoughts :
I don't care.
Spoiler : Sonic 2022 Thoughts :
Hoo boy, here we go. Much like most Sonic fans, I'm not exactly pleased at SEGA's lack of transparency surrounding the series as of late, only for them to post a 30 second trailer that explains absolutely nothing. It's irritating that SEGA still won't tell us what the hell is going on. The last time they were this secretive about the new Sonic game, we got Sonic Forces, and I hate that game with every fiber of my being.
Spongesonic IN COURT wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:55 amI played through and beat the game 100%, so that much mean I enjoyed the game on some level
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Younger me was such an idiot.

Now, I normally don't put any stock into rumors and leaks until I see them with my own eyes, but this one has to be addressed. The "Sonic Rangers" leak, which has supposedly been "confirmed" (which, given how clickbait videos and articles operate, "confirmed" usually means "not confirmed"). The rumor is apparently that the new game is going to be called... well, Sonic Rangers, and that it's going to be open world, which, if that's the case, I've gotta say... that sounds awful. Sonic and open world are two things that do not mix well at all. Do we need to talk about 06's hub worlds again to prove my point? For a game that's so talked about that this horse is no longer just dead, it's been ground into a fine paste, yet people still continue to whip it... everyone sure seems to forget why that game sucked. It's almost like people just use Sonic 06 for means of a quick joke because they can't think of anything clever because they're bad at actually telling jokes... but no, that could never be.

Even assuming that Sonic could work in open world... this is the same Sonic Team that made Sonic Forces. They can't even make a linear game not feel completely empty, how do you think they'd fair with a non-linear one? I'll be perfectly and completely honest, if the leaks turn out to be true... I'm probably just going to give up on the series right then and there. I don't even care about "giving the game a chance". I'm not gonna sit around and wait for them to make the same mistakes as Dynasty Warriors 9. Let's just hope these leaks go the way of Mr. Grinch.

But overall... yeah. The trailer gave me nothing to latch onto, and the rumors just make me bitter. I dunno what else to say.
There was some other stuff in Sonic Central, but none of it really caught my attention at all. It was mostly just cross-game promotions and merchandise. Nothing too exciting.

That's all I've got to say on the matter for now. Back into my slumber I return... at least until SEGA inevitably messes up again. So, what, in... 2 minutes?
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Alright, welp, Sega basically confirmed my worst fears. I'm done. I think I've been done ever since they failed to make a meaningful follow-up to Generations, but I've been holding out hope things would get better. Forces destroyed all that hope, and Colors Ultimate spit on its corpse. I have no hope at all for Sonic Frontiers. I get Forces was awful, but this is too far in the other direction.

Expect me to take the "Sonic" part of my username out soon.
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information