Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

Post by Meph »

Ah, thank you. That's what I get for preparing the AADD's soundtrack for AAO6 at 2 o'clock in the morning.
mAc Chaos

Post by mAc Chaos »

Meph wrote:
mAc Chaos wrote:Argh, more AAI style games.
Or in other words: HAVE HINTS FOR EVERYTHING!

Also, spoiler rules are now officially null and void for this game. No need to bother with spoiler tags now, except out of kertacy (which I can't spell).
Don't forget "spend 4/5th of the game spelling out every excruciating detail of unnecessarily complicated murder method while ignoring motive."

The motive is he has no motive! Get it!! It's genius.
The wolf knows what the ill heart thinks.
@mAcChaos

BEHOLD, the ULTIMATE CASE: MACFIA, an epic journey through time and space.
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Hey guys look a custom Thought Route.
Spoiler : 3-3 :
Phoenix: Let's review the facts.
Phoenix: Glen Elg was killed by potassium cyanide slipped into his coffee.
Phoenix: He was listening to the lottery to see if he'd won half a million.
Phoenix: Allegedly, he had a few lottery tickets in front of him...
Phoenix: But why would Tigre want to kill Elg?
Phoenix: And how is the Cadaverini family related to all this?
Phoenix: Let's see if I can relate Tigre's motive to the Cadaverini family...

-He owed them a million dollars

-They wanted him to pay off a loan
-The Cadaverinis were being blackmailed by him

Phoenix: Of course! Tigre owed the Cadaverinis a million dollars!
Phoenix: He needed to pay off the head surgery Viola needed after that crash last year.
Phoenix: But that's only half a million...
Phoenix: Where would Tigre get the other $500,000?

-Horse Race betting
-Identity Theft
-Jean Armstrong

Phoenix: Yes, that's it. Jean's loan contract was worth half a million dollars.
Phoenix: If it was paid off, Tigre could earn the money to pay for Viola.
Phoenix: Both of these amounts would have helped him a lot.
Phoenix: But wasn't there an easier way for Tigre to do this?
Phoenix: Another reason that Glen Elg needed to die?

-He won a horse race bet
-A millions-of-dollars worth computer virus
-He was secretly independently wealthy

Phoenix: MC Bomber... The computer virus.
Phoenix: Glen Elg developed this virus, worth millions of dollars.
Phoenix: If one of the other payments didn't work out, that would be a fallback.
Phoenix: But why would he need the extra amounts that came with the virus?
Phoenix: Is there a reason Tigre needed extra money?

-He wasn't doing well financially
-Bouncing checks
-Mask DeMasque

FURIO TIGRE KILLED GLEN ELG TO GET TENDER LENDER BACK ON ITS FEET

Phoenix: That's it! Tigre wasn't doing so well himself!
Phoenix: He still had all of the surgery to pay off...
Phoenix: ...and he had paid $15,000 for car repairs the year before!
Phoenix: This left him without much money...
Phoenix: It's obvious Tigre would've needed the amounts from MC Bomber!

END THOUGHT ROUTE
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

...Aren't the other options... Too obviously wrong? xD
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

There is AA. There is no such thing as too obviously wrong!!
mAc Chaos

Post by mAc Chaos »

The Thought Routes kind of take away from the drama of Phoenix presenting it one bit at a time. Those scenes are better in the actual game.
@mAcChaos

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

I thought that Thought Route was a bit weak. I much prefer how it was done in previous games.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
mAc Chaos

Post by mAc Chaos »

Yeah it's like instead of playing it out, they just throw the answer at you.
@mAcChaos

Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

...so i dont have to guess answers anymore? yayyyy no more save file reloads :D
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Sligneris wrote:...Aren't the other options... Too obviously wrong? xD
Of course not! MaskDeMasque stole everyone's gold, including Tigre's precious loan money!
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Smithee

Post by Smithee »

I give it a 4/5 overall.

I prefer 2D sprites, though (but I do enjoy the anime cutscenes).
Sligneris

Post by Sligneris »

Spoiler : :
Was it just me or was the last case after recess badly handled? I did not feel in mood of taking down the phantom, I actually felt just weird. We had everyone ganged up against Fulbright and even though he was still a villain not worth much of our sympathy... it just did not feel like there was a fair trial actually handled there.

When we progressed, I felt it wasn't our progress at all. It was just the phantom screwing up his facade for no apparent reason other than having storyline pushed forward

"How can you say that? It's obvious he's the phantom!"... Was it really? His story was believable and it would be, had he not suddenly made that serious face. Plus, this line should have never gotten out from the mouth of experienced lawyer...

Speaking of experience, let's return to the earlier part of the trial, the one regarding UR-1. I had read some comments on how Phoenix was more nervous during that trial than when he was a rookie that had no idea what he was doing and I can't help but agree. I'm not sure if it's exactly that experience with Edgeworth that made him like that?...

I can't also get my head around the way perceiving and mood matrix are used in this last case. Again, it's basing claims on nervous ticks and emotions, rather than on evidence. It was fine in the earlier cases, when we had perceiving used during investigations, where we do not evidence to have people answer honestly, or during trials with Athena where we had witnesses genuinely confused, unable to give proper testimony, overwhelmed by emotions.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Sligneris wrote:
Spoiler : :
Was it just me or was the last case badly handled?
fix'd
Sligneris

Post by Sligneris »

Well, Phoenix vs Edgeworth trial wasn't all that bad, especially Blackquill's testimony and its finale.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Spoiler : Case 5 :
But the case in general failed to achieve a lot of the things it plot-wise wanted to do, from a character and simply emotional standpoint. Mainly because the game itself is so desperate to try to cram as much as it possibly can to please the fanbase that it eventually loses focus and ends up detracting from the experience.

Pearls? No actual role, comes out of nowhere, nobody really cares.
Trucy? No actual expected character development after AJ, no decent role aside from "kidnapped princess", no actual decent interaction with... well ANYONE through the entire game, nobody really cares.
Edgeworth? Sure, you can claim he did have a large role as far as TDAOL subplot goes, but overall, you have to admit that even that was more or less fanservice. In general, there should've been more interesting things between Phoenix and Edgeworth to show how their friendship molded after seven years instead of just giving Edgeworth glasses. While signs of rivalry are there, Edgeworth himself doesn't really have much to do with the story. I said this earlier, but he should've been introduced earlier so that there could be some resonating impact once he rears his head again in Case 5.
Athena? Sure, she worked from a character standpoint (hell, SHE HAD to have, considering it was basically her game...), but as a defendant she didn't really do... anything. Even her involvement in the actual crime isn't given any attention aside from "Yea, I was there lol". We never felt that anything would happen to her (at least, I didn't), since... well... It's just bleh. See, it would've been interesting if during the last case some actual doubt was placed on her character whether she did it or not, with Phoenix choosing to be more cautious but still willing to help her - showing that he's willing to learn from his mistakes (Engarde case, hell even his disbarrment case).

Apollo's development is the only one I actually liked, but I wanted to see him actually somewhat change, too. You can't just "took off all my bandages, all back to normal now, I love you all". This event could've established so much more in the relationship between Phoenix and Apollo - with Apollo learning to deal with personal loss and letting him doubt his mentor and idol for the first time in his quest for justice instead of just his job (at this point he still isn't truly following the truth so much as getting a "Not Guilty" like Phoenix does); and Phoenix coming to have an appreciation and respect for Apollo's sense of justice (instead of it feeling "oh come on, Apollo...").
And his speech with Athena would've worked so much more if - as I said way back - we'd actually see Athena gradually come friends with everyone else instead of being... poofed into existence and instantly becoming BFFs (which is unrealistic and somewhat contrived for the sake of just... having her there - the player thus never actually feels like Apollo is heartbroken in doubting her so much as... he's heartbroken because the script says their super best friends and he has to doubt her).

Phantom? Well, you just said it yourself - the only reason he got caught was for being an idiot. ...Which, if he was so smart for all those years, assuming different identities, doesn't make sense, since you'd think he'd have... a brain or something, but NOPE. ...Not to mention that the reasoning behind him being the Phantom would never actually stick in a court of law BUT WHATEVER ATHENA... (Also, she'd the defendant. Never mind the dark age of law, you'd think SOMEONE would think to say "she's lying to protect herself"... Well, I guess they would've if the phantom wasn't dumb.)

Simon's development I also liked, but I would've liked seeing a bit more rivalry between him and... everyone. He went soft way too easily and through the entire game felt like he didn't really care about the case he was handling and just had a need to point out a flaw whenever it popped up. (Though, I might actually give credit to writers for that - since after being locked up for so long and nearing his death sentence, I suppose he would've given up at one point or another...)

But yeah. They crammed WAAAAY too much into this case, and the game in general. If the game had less characters, was more focused on tying into AJ (not plot-wise, but perhaps character-wise, at least SOME resolution to the loose threads), introduced Athena as an actual human being is introduced (if it was so determined to have 90% of the plot about her, I mean) and actually had Phoenix gradually return to his lawyer persona instead of just becoming himself again, then it would've been... great!

But as it is, I'm left disappointed.
Not that it wasn't fun mind you. Not that I hated or even disliked it. But it could've been so much more with the premise given...