Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney

Post by kwando1313 »

No one is discussing it because it hasn't come out in NA yet. Meph, you silly.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Tear
Spoken languages: Français, English

Post by Tear »

Meph wrote:I'm very surprised that this game is out, and yet no one is discussing it. The game is so rich in story, and the amount of twists kept dragging me through the game throughout. Amazing story!
Spoiler : MAJOR ENDING SPOILER :
Every hole in the plot was filled by the end. Except one. The only hole was: how could there be witches in London? And how can they have a secret passage in London? Magic is fake, and yet they're able to bring statues to life and fly around faster and higher than any invisible crane could take them.
I just started it and I must say that it's already one of my favorites game. The puzzles are "meh", but everything else is great !
Also the english and french dub are both so good that I can't choose which one I prefer.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

kwando1313 wrote:No one is discussing it because it hasn't come out in NA yet. Meph, you silly.
Ah yes. *points and laughs*

I'm sorry. Please don't kill meeee. :cry:
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Don't worry, we'll be enjoying Rune Factory 4 and SMT 4 here. :)

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

What in the hell is a Rune Factory? And why should I care? :T

Also, by the time you finish SMT4 it'll have already been released worldwide and have had been out for months. Whereas, we can finish our PL Vs AA faaaar before you guys get it. :3

(Also, Kwando, did you forget which countries got Bravely Default and Azran first~? Upupupupu~ >:3)
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

enigma wrote:(Also, Kwando, did you forget which countries got Bravely Default and Azran first~? Upupupupu~ >:3)
Japan 8)
enigma

Post by enigma »

Meph wrote:
Every hole in the plot was filled by the end. Except one. The only hole was: how could there be witches in London? And how can they have a secret passage in London? Magic is fake, and yet they're able to bring statues to life and fly around faster and higher than any invisible crane could take them.
Well, that and...
Spoiler : BIG Spoilers :
WHO HIT RENA (Olivia Aldente) ON THE HEAD?!
hershel_layton
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by hershel_layton »

enigma wrote:
Meph wrote:
Well, that and...
Don't forget...
Spoiler : ENDING SPOILERS MAJOR AND STUFF (Seriously) :
How did the green-wall trick work? I'm doubting that the Shades just blew up the wall. I'd think that Jean would notice that. I mean, there's a difference between a broken wall and a portal hole. And unless they have SHSL Painter and SHSL Wall Fixer, I'd think that the wall would look a LITTLE different. (Spoilers: Kira is SHSL Painter and Wall Fixer.)
100% Certified Dersh
Meph

Post by Meph »

hershel_layton wrote:
enigma wrote:
Meph wrote:
Well, that and...
Don't forget...
Spoiler : ENDING SPOILERS MAJOR AND STUFF (Seriously) :
How did the green-wall trick work? I'm doubting that the Shades just blew up the wall. I'd think that Jean would notice that. I mean, there's a difference between a broken wall and a portal hole. And unless they have SHSL Painter and SHSL Wall Fixer, I'd think that the wall would look a LITTLE different. (Spoilers: Kira is SHSL Painter and Wall Fixer.)
Well both of those have an answer...
Spoiler : SPOILERS GALORE! :
Olivia was hit by the witches/shades after they discovered she was on the ship and somehow got on it.

I have three theories for the green wall trick. They either rung the bell, causing the witch to fall asleep, and the moved the witch to the other side. Another possibility is that, when a shade noticed that a wall had been painted green on both sides, they would cut a hole in the wall and then stick the piece of wall they've removed back on. Then they would ring the bell, remove the wall, wait for the witch to wake up and do whatever they want to do, then ring the bell, return the wall and wait for the witch to wake up. The third theory is that a black curtain or something involving pure black was covering a hole in the wall.
Nearavex

Post by Nearavex »

...Am I the only one whose eyes hurt by looking at this? ._.
Av by ticcy
enigma

Post by enigma »

Yes.
Nearavex

Post by Nearavex »

Well, I guess for Professor Layton fans, it's natural... Still, I just can't get over how every Layton-stylized character looks like it's made of plasticine.
Av by ticcy
Nearavex

Post by Nearavex »

Well, hello thar, Marina Plancton.

...I knew French had some crazy names for no reason, but when even Japanese and English versions are consistent here, it really reaches another level.
Av by ticcy
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Congratulations, Justice For All! You're not the worst Ace Attorney game any more!
Spoiler : :
My main gripes with this game can all be split into 3 categories. 1 is that the two gameplay styles do not merge seamlessly at all. The second is that it kept ALL of Layton's flaws. And third, PLOTHOLES FRAGGING EVERYWHERE.

The lack of seamless gameplay had one major, MAJOR drawback, and that's the godawful pacing in this game. Had it been done properly, the non-court segments would have been Ace Attorney investigation phases full of puzzles - instead, it's just standard Layton stuff. I understand this was probably so they would have sections fully dedicated to Layton style gameplay so they would be fair to the two franchises, but what this actually results in is the pacing and plot coming to a screeching halt whenever they aren't in court. This also results in a complete and utter lack of buildup for any of the court chapters, save for The Final Witch Trial, meaning that three out of the four cases are stuck in the same situation that most of the first cases in each Ace Attorney game are - and they're usually the worst case in any given game in the series.

Now, there's my issue with Layton that has crept into this game too. One issue is the characters - there are few to no memorable characters in this game as any non-major characters gets one character trait and next to no screentime, and due to the (admittedly quite good) multiple character cross-examinations, they have to share it. While I did quite like Jean Greyerl and Zacharias Barnham, that's about it.

However, even the characters that did have enough screentime weren't all that impressive. Darklaw and the Storyteller were okay, but lacked a memorable personality. And the game really suffered for having a character as utterly bland as Espella take up so much screentime. But the part I'm most annoyed about is how they treated my favourite new character, Zacharias Barnham, the main rival. Every rival in the Ace Attorney series has been built on something in the backstory of the series - DL-6 for Edgeworth, Franziska's family, Mia for Godot, Kristoph for Klavier and so on. Barnham is the first to have an entirely clean slate and they did a good job making him come into his own as he tried to discover the secret of Labyrinthia - and then it just freaking drops him from the story, leaving nothing but a wasted opportunity.

Another big problem that Layton brings with it is the big twist. It's completely insane, implausible, and outlandish... and I wouldn't have minded it THAT much, if it had been even remotely possible for us to work it out. But no, instead, Layton figures out the whole thing in the background by extrapolating from a ridiculously tiny amount of information because he is completely perfect. Incidentally, this completely screws up Van Dine's 1st, 5th, 14th, and 15th, along with Knox's 4th, 6th, and 8th. I know a lot of their rules haven't aged well, but many of these are the better rules that simply should not be messed with.

Then there's the plotholes. Many of these have already been mentioned, but I have more.

How did nobody ever bump into any of the invisible objects?

How did Carmine end up in Labyrinthia in the first place?

How did that painting of the Great Fire end up in the library?
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Yes Lind, it's not just an AA game, but also a Layton game.