MotM August 2014: Hershel_Layton

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

MotM August 2014: Hershel_Layton

Post by enigma »

August 2014

"I- I'm not Nanoha ..."

Hershel_Layton

Long time no see, strange! Enigma here, welcoming you to another heart-wrenching episode of Member of the Month, 2014! The only show where month apparently means once every blue moon! So, then... Will we be finding out who the father is today? Will we discover what prompted Chaos to finally embrace his inner tsundere? Will we finally learn the identity of the mysterious K1?!

No. No, we won't. We'll be doing what we always do. And that's interviewing one of the generally swell members of our community! And then you riff raff can ask them questions too. ...Just don't get any of your plague rats on them.

Now, todays member is an especially friendly member of the site. Mostly known on the xat side, but has participated in certain forum activities. Oh! And she makes art too.

Well, that's enough about our guest. Let's hear about me!

Let's get this interview started!
------------
E: Good, well, night-ish time and welcome to the (massively belated) MotM. I blame Kwando. In any case, today live in the AAO studio we have our latest MotM. Everyone give a warm hugu for… HERSHEL LAYTON!
o_o" ......
Well... This interview certainly took a dark turn.
E:...Oh. He's unavailable? Oh? Wait, really? We're interviewing Hershel_Layton? So…. Not the puzzle guy? Yeah? No? Okay. Fine. Got it. Big difference. Well, that’s a letdown. ...Yeah. I’m fine. I’m a professional. I’ll do the show. Yeah. *Ahem*

E:Greetings, Hersh. How are you feeling today?
H: I’m good. I just got over being awfully sick. ^_^”

E: Ah, well. That’s not good. Not good at all. Glad we could have you in the studio at all. (security, quick. get me my gasmask.) Now, then. Customary first question. What’s your favourite colour?
H: A dark blue. Specifically, Phthalo Blue. Especially when it’s on reflective stuff. And a Phthalo Blue, Pear Faceted, Sapphire? Perfect. Although, Sapphire’s aren’t my favourite gemstone. xP
Phtalo Blue, potato blue. Same difference.
E: Alright, that’s good. Better than an eye-searing bright text. Of course, all coloured text burns the eyes but, you know… A certain Aussie mod won’t sticky the thread unless I do that. Haha. Now, speaking of Aussies… You’re one yourself, aren’t you? Why don’t you tell our readers a bit about THE LAND OF SPIDER-SNAKES?!
H: Wait spider snakes what. Okay. Australia’s really hot. All the time. And where I am, there’s no snow. EVER. ;-; There’s also koalas here, which are super dangerous. And kangaroos, which are super fluffy. I once just walked up to one and started petting it. (Of course, that was in a zoo.) Besides that, Australia’s just a dangerous, croc-infested, man-eating land mass in the middle of an ocean, with horrible politics. There’s also drop bears. Everyone must know of the drop bears.
I lied about the spidersnakes. BUT THE SPIDERSHARKS ARE REAL!
E: Talking politics, eh? Tap would be proud. Though, you forgot the most important thing about Australia. Mind if I ask… Who would you consider the most awesome person who lives directly one door down from you and occasionally walks over to your place and gives you pretzels and is just generally a super cool guy who goes on AAO sometimes?
H: Uhh… Wow. That’s tough. It’s hard to pick. Especially from this multitude of people who don’t exist. : D
E: ;A; Hersh, you have brokero my kokero. We are down one more totally unbiased journalist.
KOKERO 100% BROKERO!
E: Moving on! Why don’t we cover your childhood? How was that like?
H: It was… Relatively alright. School life wasn’t too fun. I used to live in Singapore, which I remember fragments of. I do remember being pulled out of class by my mom and being taken to McDonalds for pancakes. Or… Whatever McDonalds called their pancakes. The ones with maple syrup. I sat on a red spin-chair that day. It had no back, and I remember it didn’t spin, so I took my plate of pancakes and sat in a booth alone, stubbornly.
E: A red spin chair that doesn’t spin? I believe they just call that a chair, Hersh.
H: I was trying to describe the chair, okay? ;-; It was a bar stool, then. Happy?
E: McDonalds has a BAR?! Well, then… Moving on.
If you believe it can spin... It will spin. Follow your heart and dreams! BELIEVE IN THE SPINNY CHAIR THAT BELIEVES IN YOU!
E: Let’s cover the next big question the readers want to know the answer to. How did you ever find AAO? How did you get into AA? Lay that jazz on us.
H: I discovered AA when one of my cousins walked into my house while playing AJ. Which is why I didn’t play the games in order, but went AJ first and then from PW:AA up. The way I found AAO is a pretty long story. See…

One day….

I searched up….

Ace Attorney Online. The End.

E: Wow. Best story. Clap clap. So mindblowing. Now, seriously though, what drove you to join the site? Lets get some meat on our plate!
H: No. That is not a story to be told. Bad enigma. Digging up my past… *Shudder*
we got some meat on our plate.
E: Alright, alright. Fine. So, then. You’re most well known for your interactions with the community on Xat and so forth. But that’s not how it all started, is it? Originally, you were a...trial author! Mind telling us about that?
H: ...Was that last question to make me use up my ‘no going there’ card? ...Fine. I made a trial when I first came on the site, because ‘HAHA THIS’LL BE EASY ANYOOOONE CAN DO IT’. *Slaps past-Hershel* Well… It turned out a complete and utter failure. I decided to just fade away for a while and hope nobody would remember me.
The more things change, the more things stay the same...
E: But you came back! With another trial. Another trial which I should probably not bring up. Another trial whose initials rhyme with “Dee Ten”. Or am I forgetting something?
H: According to my Trial Editor, you’re forgetting around four other tr- SHHHHH HERSH. YOU’RE FORGETTING NOTHING. But anyway, ‘Dee Ten’ probably shouldn’t be brought up, yeah. It made me unhappy. It made other people… Annoyed? I don’t want to assume people got inherently angry…. Anyway, that was another failure. Because I didn’t listen to enigma.
D10 has nothing on Room Q!
E: Ah, sorry. Sorry. I apologize. I just like to drink your tears. Let’s move onto a much happier topic, I assume! In your time here, you’ve shown yourself to be a pretty competent artist, no? Making the sprites for a few fangames, such as Nanoha BondS, doing fan art here and there, making roughly 20% of my av rotation…. Tell us how you got into that?
H: The sprites… They’ve been redone. I assure you. (Well, most of them. THEY WILL BE FINISHED ONE DAY I PROMISE ;-; ) No Man-oha for you, I’m afraid. I got into art… Ah, actually. This is kinda embarrassing for me. I got into art back when DRRP the Original was happening, when I drew a few Michio pieces. Because Michio. And then I picked up my tablet and decided that it would be the same as drawing normally. It wasn’t. I talked to Dave about art for a while, and I’d like to say that’s what helped me become much better at art. (It also helped me start doodling all over my schoolbooks and distracted me in class. Whoops.) Now, my digital art is better than my traditional art. Which… Kinda says something about my traditional art ability. ^_^” And that’s… That’s how I got into art!
Heeding Hersh's pleading that I don't use Manoha in this, I promptly went and grabbed SUPER DISTRESSED SUZUKA!
E: Interesting. Now, you’ve also been a participant in some of the RP’s on AAO too, haven’t you? DRRP, PokeRP, Manifest… How did that start? What got you into RPing?
H: I… Honestly don’t remember. I think I just saw the Forum Games section and thought ‘Hey! This could be fun!’ Of course, like everything else, that all started with failure. And I can’t remember the success bit.

E: Oh? You can’t remember your first RP? But you can remember it was a failure? Well… I won’t pry.
H: Oh, no. I remember my first RP. (I think.) Just not… How I got into RPing. My first RP was… S;H, wasn’t it? With the translucent character: Arcan.
In her defence, writing as a FIRE WOLF is pretty hard! Especially in a time travel mystery RP!
E: AH! Yes, I remember him. I liked him. And, hey. While we’re looking at writing and such… What’s your personal writing style? How do you go about writing?
H: I have no idea. I pick out music that I decide will be the theme for… Well, the location, more than the character. And my way of writing for each character is different. For instance… Annah. I tried writing her- Actually, no. Because if I say, I’m afraid of ‘that is nothing like what that is like in the thing you’re describing situation-ish thing y u cant rite’.

"See, originally, the idea was that Annah would be a sponge living in a pineapple under the sea..."
E: I see… Now to callously forget to reassure you of your writing skills and skip to the next question! Tell me, Hersh. You’re a rather prominent figure on the xat. How did you get into that?
H: You say, already knowing the answer. I like to think that question refers to me on xat now, and not Past-Hersh. *Slaps Past-Hersh* I was at your place one time and saw you on xat. So I opened up my computer and went on xat. I don’t know what made me come back to it again the next day, but I’m certainly glad I did.
Only one thing keeps us all on Xat...... Blackmail. Just like Google Plus!
E: Good to hear! Now, the last host was Tap and I learnt from him the ropes of the show. Sorta. And the one thing I got from him was this. When you’ve got someone on the show… IT’S TIME FOR SELF-PROMOTION! Hersh! You’re currently working with me on an entry for the Bright Age of the Law comp! Wanna share with everyone how that’s going? Thoughts and such? But no secret details! We wanna rope them in.
H: Hrm… Without spoilers… It’s fun. We’re making good pace, and *gasp* there’s… CUSTOM IMAGES. I know, I definitely just blew everyone’s mind. Nobody expected that. And everybody cares. But anyway, it’s exactly like the sigs say. There’s Umineko, Red Truth, Purple Truth, Green Truth, Orange Truth, Higurashi, Cicadas, Seagulls, Milky Holmes, Sherlock Holmes, All the Holmes family, All the Milk family, and… And Conan. So yaaaay for that.
The image speaks for itself.
E: Very, very much yay~! Now, then. We seem to be reaching the end of the interview. So, any last words? Before the bomb goes off.
H: Let’s see… Thanks to everyone, for reading this, and for being a great community. And everyone on xat is really fun to be around, so extra thanks to them for being great. Oh! And thanks for having me here, enigma. (Super unexpected because what why hersh xP)

E: Alright. A fitting epitaph. See ya around, Hersh. And rest in pieces! *presses big red button*
H: kba-
do big red buttons ever NOT explode everything?
---MotM August 2014: Fin---
------------
The Enigma’s Teaparty

E: Ew. Umineko. Well, I hope you enjoyed the newest installment of the MotM. I know I did. I’m sure Hersh did too before the whole explosion thing. Anyway! As you may have noticed, I tried something a little different this time. Images here and there. Make the whole thing look more spiffy and interesting and whatnot. Please leave your thoughts in the comment section below, like, follow, retweet, quote, and subscribe, and MAYBE you’ll get a shout-out on the next ep! In 2056. Or something. Being serious, though. I do wish to take on a more stable schedule for these. Preferably monthly. Make the MotM the Member of the Month rather than the Member of the Whenever-I-Feel-Like-It. Maybe we could get a MotM Interviewer Team? Would you guys be interested in that? If you are, let me know down in those comments! Any other ideas to get this schedule more stable too. And, as always, we’d love some feedback. Now, then. Good night! And good HershBurgers!

~Enigma

--MotM is filmed before a live studio audience.--
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Re: MotM August 2014: Hershel_Layton

Post by GuardianDreamer »

You can't tell me to comment. I am rebellious and can do whatever I want with my own free will and stuff.

... Anyway, Hershel, favorite video game genre? Also, favorite YGO card?
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
hershel_layton
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by hershel_layton »

okay now just click that subscribe button too

Let's see... Eh, puzzle games and visual novels are the first that come to mind. As for favourite yugioh card? Don't know. (Yeah, that's a boring answer.) Okay, lemme think for a sec.... K, I still have no idea. Except for one holographic card which I like because of the memories that associate with it.

see what i did there? no? fine then guess you'll never know the answer : (
100% Certified Dersh
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay Heshy~

Congraaaaaats~

Fave Nanoha ep/character?
Fave food?
Fave sushiiiiiiii?

But seriously, congrats, Heshy~ *huggu*

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Master Of Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Post by Master Of Chaos »

Congrats Hershy~ *Huggles*

I'll think up questions when I'm not sleep deprived.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
hershel_layton

Post by hershel_layton »

kwando1313 wrote:Yaaaaaaaaaaaay Heshy~
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay Kwandsy~

Congraaaaaats~
Thaaaaanks~

Fave Nanoha ep/character? A's Episode 11, I guess. (First thing that came to mind. xP) Fave character? Uhhh... Fate. Or Vita.
Fave food? Custard. Always custard. ALL THE CUSTARD. (Or soy sauce. Or salt.)
Fave sushiiiiiiii? Unagi nigiri maybe

But seriously, congrats, Heshy~ *huggu*

Thanks again, Kwandsy~ *Hugguuuuuu*
Master Of Chaos wrote:Congrats Hershy~ *Huggles*
Thanks, Chaoshu~ *Hugglees~*

I'll think up questions when I'm not sleep deprived.
Yay, I'm looking forward to it~!
100% Certified Dersh
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

HESHY. ARE YOU SECRETLY ME OR SOMETHING. BECAUSE SAME FAVE SUSHI AND CHARACTERS. (Y) <3

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
hershel_layton

Post by hershel_layton »

WAIT WHAT REALLY

I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOUR FAVOURITE SUSHI

OKAY WE'RE CLEARLY THE SAME PEOPLE (Y) <3
100% Certified Dersh
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

On a level of Dave to Dave how dave would dave be if he were more dave in a very dave situation... With 9 other daves?

Anyway, serious question.

Please describe to AAO your favorite kind of sandwich.
DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

Do you watch Doctor Who? If so, favorite Doctor? Favorite Episode?
The Final but not so ending chapter.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Ooh. I have more questions~

Fave Pokemon?
Fave cuisine?
Fave non-taro flavor of bubble tea?

hershel_layton

Post by hershel_layton »

Dave wrote:On a level of Dave to Dave how dave would dave be if he were more dave in a very dave situation... With 9 other daves?

Just as Dave as a dave would be on a dave day with less dave.

Anyway, serious question.

Please describe to AAO your favorite kind of sandwich.

Lately, I'm not too picky about sandwiches. If it's reasonable, and has no mayo, pickles, tuna, or grape juice, I'll probably eat it.
Detective Luke Atmey wrote:Do you watch Doctor Who?
Not much. I watched a few episodes, but then I got lost in a maze of Doctor Who and had more fun being confused.
If so, favorite Doctor? Favorite Episode?

No idea for either. ^_^
kwando1313 wrote:Ooh. I have more questions~
Yay, more questions~!

Fave Pokemon?
Cyndaquil~
Fave cuisine?
Thai or French. Or Japanese. I'll eat pretty much anything from any of them.
Fave non-taro flavor of bubble tea?
Hrmm... I guess Lychee Green Tea? It was the first I ever tried, so yeah. I'm gonna go with that.
100% Certified Dersh
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Congratulations!

Favorite puzzle?
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
hershel_layton

Post by hershel_layton »

Ferdielance wrote:Congratulations!
Thanks~!

Favorite puzzle?

(I actually talked about this irl yesterday. xD) My favourite puzzles are sliding block ones, or the banana peel ones from Layton. Though, I like most puzzles.
100% Certified Dersh
Ami

Post by Ami »

Stickied topic.

Here's some questions, sorry if some of them have already been answered, I'm typing this at nearly 3 am.

- ... and what are drop bears? I'm sort of scared to look them up. >__>

- What was your first video game ever?

- What do you think is the most obscure game you like?

- What is your favorite Pokemon?
> Favorite of the coming mega-evoutions?
> What do you think of the new Prehistoric mechanic? You think it'll see functionality outside of this game, and with more pokemon (like pokemon who evolve via Ancient Power like Yanmega and Mamoswine)?
> Opinion on Fairy types?

- Favorite non-main character in Layton (so excluding Luke, Layton, and Emmy).

- What is your least favorite video game mechanic (like invisible stats in RPG's, platforming when you can't see your character's feet, picarats which is basically "get it right, reset, then get it right with full picarats")?

- What was your first video game system (counting PC if you ever played more than Solitaire)?

- Okay, so there's a lot of 90's superiority around the gaming community (most of the faux-retro tends to emulate that era, or at least the late eighties, early nineties), so what game from that era is your favorite?
> Growing up in a new generation, what do you think you (and by extension, your generation) will hold in high regard with huge nostalgia goggles, insisting that (what will by then be new) games must adhere to?

- I found a spriting thread of yours- looked it up since you said you were drawing today (well, by now? Yesterday for me!). It's got some good stuff. What would you say is your favorite sprite created?
> If you are drawing, I take it you have branched out? Would you feel comfortable showing us?
> If so, would that mean your art topic updates again? =O

- What is/are your favorite...
> Live-action sci-fi show(s)?
> Live-action comedy(ies)?
> Life-action mystery show(s)?
> Comedian(s)?
> Anime(s)?
> Slice of Life anime? (If not applicable to "favorite anime")
> Sci-fi anime? (If not applicable to "favorite anime")
> Mystery anime? (If not applicable to "favorite anime")
> Romance anime? (If not applicable to "favorite anime")
> Western cartoon?
> Character?
> Movie?
> Musical artist and/or band?
> Favorite music genre?
> Disney movie?
since 2008!