August 2011 - deHughes

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

August 2011 - deHughes

Post by Meph »

Member of the Month
August 2011
deHughes

Why does no one ever smile in their photos these days!? ... Boy, I feel old saying that.
This is the Member of the Month; an interview that I do at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

I personally select each month's Member of the Month. People are picked based on their contributions to the community, whether they are: making excellent trials, providing comic relief or just being a brilliant person. The next Member of the Month could be you!

If you have any questions about the Member of the Month system, please PM me.
If you're looking for a combination of an avid ponies fan and a brilliant sense of humour... then deHughes is probably not the best person to choose...! Only joking! See, I can be funny, too?

deHughes (previously known to many of us as Trufseeker) has been visiting these forums for almost 2 years as of writing this, and has always been a prominent part of our community. He's created AAO's Official Podcast, as well as writing many interesting trials, including Hunter Truf.
Meph: Hello. Welcome to the fifteenth Member of the Month interview.

deHughes: Where am I? Why is there a giant purple eyeball looking at me? Why can't I move my arms?

Meph: Firstly, you need to open your eyes and stop having crazy fantasies about my wonderful self. And secondly, how are you today?

deHughes: Aside from being kidnapped by a giant gas eyeball, pretty well.
Had a muffin, watched some footage of SWTOR from Gamescom, got knocked out with a baseball bat. You know, the usual. How are you today, my lovely "host"?

Meph: *Ahem* I believe I will be doing the questions today.

deHughes: Yes, ma'am.

Meph: You've been coming to AAO for just over two years, now. How did you find the site and what made you want to stay?

deHughes: Well, one day as a little brat who just got out of school I decided, "I'm annoying and my voice is high pitched. I sound like the perfect game designer!" And so I looked for game making programs. None would work on my old computer. So sooner or later, I gave up and decided to be a mindless drone to some fandom. As I was playing Phoenix Wright at the time, I figured "May as well try this one, Phoenix is uber leetz!" I was an idiot back then, if you can't tell. So I went on CR and stalked that site for a while, never saying a word. I found the list of case makers, and decided to give them a shot. Starting with PwLib... didn't work. Moved to PyWright... was too complex. Then I gave AAO a shot. Somehow I wasn't kicked out for being dumb, and ended up staying. Since then, I've grown to love the community and make great friends with many of the members.

Meph: Tell us about the trial that you're working on right now.

deHughes: Well my main project(trial-wise) is Hunter Truf: Ace Attorney. It started out as a bland, uninteresting mess of a project. All cases were basically filler, the characters were flat and one-dimensional, and overall it wasn't very good. xD But over the... year and a half that I've been working on it, it's grown to be much more than... something that's bad.

The character's and the struggle they experience are something that I have grown to be extremely passionate about, and I'd like to think, for a good reason. Every character and event that occurs is there for a reason. Every single member of the cast, wheter they be main, a reoccuring character, or a one-case deal is a very important cog in the overarching plot of the game.

There is only one character that I can think of that's there for a "hey, he'd be cool to have here" sort of reason. Everyone else echoes at least one of, if not multiple themes going through the game; as well as playing a big role in the plot going on behind the shadows of the game.

One of the big things I tried to do with the game is have this situation where once you hit the final case, and everything comes together, you're just shocked by the outcome. By how everyone you've seen plays a vital role in it. And of course, for you to have a great connection to them and feel for them in one way or another. Wheter that be cheering on the "heroes", or wishing to see the villains crumble down in defeat. I want them to feel like real people with realistic emotions and connections to others. Which is really helped by the noir focus of the series, since a big part of noir stories is emotion and connections with others. Which is really helped by the noir focus of the series, since a big part of noir stories is emotion and connections with others.

But at the end of the day, this all leads to a ton of work and high standards that are kind'a preventing me from getting things out of a good schedule. Heh heh.

Meph: What's your method for writing a trial?

deHughes: Oh god... a year and a half of flip-flopping between ideas, really. xD I started the GOOD Hunter Truf by coming up with the overarching plot, the events you'll see last in the game. Because honestly, more then 90% of this monster is foreshadowing. From there I began thinking about what kind of cases could highlight the themes and events set in motion by the overarching plot. 

This was the reason behind changing all but the first and last case of the game completely, and even then altering those two heavily. I then transitioned into sorted out the main players of the story: Hunter, his family, co-workers, rivals, and villains of the game. I made sure to flesh them out, and make them seem like real people. Make sure no one seemed like a pure "white" hero, and no one was a pure "black" villain. Give them all interesting personalities and connections to each other to build the frame work of the game. From there I moved on to planning the characters of Case 1, and their connections to each other. Making sure, that they all shifted somewhere on that scale of gray to grey. I figured out their backstories, and personalities and only yesterday finished it off completely. Then I moved to Case 2, decided who would make sense to be in the case and found that almost all of them would make extremely good reoccuring characters because of how well they drove the themes and events of the game forward. Did the same personality, backstory, grey moral thing with them and repeat for all 3 other cases the game has.

While writing their backstories, and what not, I already knew who the killer was and why, so it's not that much work to do the how afterwords. While the mystery of each case is vital and needs a lot of work, my top priority has always been the overall mystery and plot. And that's something I choose to focus on the most.

At that point I begin planning out how they killed the victim, how they framed the defendant, the usual; as well as coming up with side-plots to intertwine with the narrative. Case 2, for example, has Alistair Justice murdered in the local detention center. But in the midst of all that is attempted jail-break, serial killer, thefts, corruption in the justice system, other criminals in the jail and their crimes, as well as the run of the mill drama that plauges the lives of all attorney's when their prosecutor is introduced. Expecially when they're as brutal and methotical as mine will be. Expecially when they're as brutal and methodical as mine will be.

And while all this is going on, I try to find songs to highlight the mood and story and by listening to them get unbelievable inspiration for real highlights of the case and moments that will hopefully stick in the minds of the player, like the discovery of what's in the hotel's basement in JM.

And through all that, come up with ideas for the true final case, Case 6. xD 
Oh, and then I write it. Yeah, you see why it's taken me a year and a half to get anywhere?

Meph: I see. So basically, you try to make a story that is a complicated woven mess of detail. That's actually a very good way to go about it.

deHughes: It's a big labour of love to get something like this working, and even after a year and a half of labour... I can't really say it's going to great. :XD: But I can only hope that once I can pull this out, it'll be a product of high-quality. I have to thank my dev. team for volunteering to help me in that regard.

Meph: What's your favourite fan trial on AAO?

deHughes: Unfortunatly, between my trial, my new RP, and real life i don't have much time to play trials. I have a long list of ones to play, but I've only finished a handful. But if I had to pick a favourite, it would have to be Mysterious Sirens and Turnabout. It's jsut a brilliant work of wovern plotlines and characters who show signs of a deep backstory.

It's a great noir tale that shows some much love, and potential for future cases. It's truly an inspiration for me, and my own game.

And it has Gaines, how can you complain?

Meph: How would you describe yourself as a person?

deHughes: Overall, a sarcastic, cynical jerk. If there is a joke to be made, I'll make it. If there is something to be hopeful for, most of the times I'm not. I'm a bit bitter regarding certain subjects due to personal reasons, mainly regarding events in my past. However, I like to think that I'm defrosting slighty. If a friend is feeling down, I try to comfort them. Granted, I'm not great at it.

If someone needs help, I try to help. If someone needs someone to rant to, I'm the person to go and rant to. I'm not the sterotypical "gal pal", but I at least try to give them an objective look on the situation.

But the main thing about me is that I try to be as witty as possible, and not have any regrets in life. What happens happens, make the best of what it is and what you want it to be.

Meph: Tell us about your interests. And when I say that, what I really mean is: tell us about your obsession with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

deHughes: Obsession?! Good sir, I will have you know it is a life style!

Well anyways, I was cynical of the show at first. I went in the viewpoint of "It's MY LITTLE PONY! IT HAS TO SUCK!" You know -- yours, Meph! But giving it a chance I found that it had amazing animation, wonderful music, pretty deep characters who possesed multiple layers to them, and great voice-acting. Something that I always love.

As I watched more episodes, the characters began to develop more and more, the plot's began to be much less than the traditional "We need an aesop, make it so!" and more of a "This is happening and just reflects morals."

It also grew a massive fandom that, while sometimes out of control, produces amazing content for the show, as well as possesses a deep love for it. I don't know of any other community that goes around and names every single background character, some who don't even recieve line, and give them names and personalities.

Derpy Hooves is a great example. She had one line "Muufffinnnsss" and an animation error for her eyes. But the fandom took it, and ran with it. She became one of the most popular characters of the show, and a subject of much fan fiction. A lot of which can actually be really emotional reads because of a respectful portrayl of mental disabilities.

But sometimes the fandom gets out of wack, and won't accept that someponies are just indifferent about the show. A TGWTG reviewer recently came under fire for saying "It just ain't my thing." So while I'm proud to be a brony, it can get kinda bad at times.

Overall, it's just a great show with high production values and likeable characters. Something not seen often in the kid show demographic anymore. It's much like a modern Powerpuff Girls, even having a lot of the same people working on it.

And Rarity is forever the best pony.

End of discussion.

Meph: Well to be honest, I can't complain that you like a stereotypically girly show. I've started watching the Powerpuff Girls again, recently, after someone posted a picture of Him in the forums.

deHughes: From what I remember of Powerpuff Girls, Him was always my favourite character.

Meph: What other interests do you have? Surely there must be more to your life than... ponies!

deHughes: I am a black belt in karate, if you can't tell I have a huge amount of passion for my fangame, I'm pretty into the pop music scene(really only singles, but w/e better than you people), love watching movies and doing angry, witty vlogs about them, and of course just being witty and sarcastic at everything.

In terms of shows, I don't watch much TV, but do follow quite a few online shows: Todd in the Shadows, Nash, and TotalBiscuit are the most prominent. And of course, I have an RP to drain my life away.

Meph: What about video games? Which ones do you like, other than AA?

deHughes: Well, let me think about that. I really enjoyed Hotel Dusk and wished it's sequel would get released state-side. I've found myself really Silent Hill 2 lately. And of course, my true obsession: the Shin Megami Tensei series. And once I can get myself a laptop, League of Legends and KOTOR are calling me.

Meph: Now let's talk about your personal life. What was your childhood like?

deHughes: Err... not too great. Dad was abusive to my mom, messy divorce that lead to some not too great moments. Not to mention I was a huge idiot as a child. Overall, it's something I dislike talking about. I prefer to live life in the present.

Meph: I'm sorry to here that. That's understandable. In that case, tell us about the present! What's life like for you now?

deHughes: Well at this very moment, I have been kidnapped by a floating eyeball.

Meph: I hope your seat is... comfortable.

deHughes: Could do without the spikes in the cushion. They're pokey. Life is weird. Aside from that, I'm kept inside my house pretty much 24/7 by a overprotective mom, and spend most of my day doing work on either my fangame or RP. When in school, I go to school, come home from school, do homework, and then work on my trial. If I can manage to exit my home at all outside of school, I'm pretty lucky. Oh, and I try to sleep until noon.

I usually can't when I'm in school, but now I can. And that makes me a happy child. And inbetween that productivity, I drown myself in a lot of internet videos.

Meph: What are your plans for the future?

deHughes: Plans for the future... can't say I really have any. I have fantasys, but due to cynicism and common sense, it probably won't play out. I plan to go through High School and get good marks. After that I'd love to either work as an internet critic ala The Spoony One, or perhaps do some role in gaming. To write a visual novel and have it reach the levels of say Umineko, would be mind blowing. But the odds of either of those working is very, very low, so I'll go with what life gives me, when it gives it to me.

Meph: And finally: which is your favourite Ace Attorney game?

deHughes: Is Justice's Memoir's a possible answer? Because that is honestly superior to every game in the Ace Attorney series. Same with Justice Vs. Truth(Ping and BP), Relived Turnabouts(Zeel), Contempt of Court(Cardiovore), with Raymond Hope and Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney being excluded only for me being part of the dev. team.

But if I was forced to pick a game from the series itself, I would probably go with... AAI. Just because of the overarching plotline, because I love those so much. There are faults in the game, yes. There is many areas for improvement, yes. But it gave us Portsman, and therefore there is nothing to complain about.

Meph: It may have given Portsman, but Zeel made us The Portsman. I'm sure a lot of people would apreciate that. ...Unless they're paying you? They're not paying you to say that, are they?

deHughes: I meant that Portsman, Meph. There is only one Portsman, and that's Zeel's Portsman. The one from AAI is actually Mr. Hobo in disguise.

Meph: Hmmm. You may have a point there.

deHughes: Damn right, I do. Coach told me all about it!

Meph: E-Er! It looks like it's time to end this interview. Do you have any last words-- I mean, anything else you'd like to say?

deHughes: How am I getting out of here, I'm still tied up. Oh, and a big shout-out to BBblader, ShadowEdgeworth, Nudalman, Tap for their help in helping me with Hunter, and every player of RotS for giving me the ability to have such a popular game here on AAO.

And Rarity is forever the best pony.

Meph: Thanks for the interview, deHughes. I'll let you go... for now. But I'm watching. Always watching.

deHughes: I know, I'm still being held prisoner by you. You would be a very bad kidnapper if you didn't watch.

Meph: Indeed.
ShokkaDC
Spoken languages: English, and Shokka language

Re: Member of the Month: August 2011

Post by ShokkaDC »

Congrats Truf!

OBEY

I roleplay as:
Katrina Micheal in GOD EATER
Sebastian Gregory in Leo Minor

I know, so many
Dypo deLina
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Al Bhed

Post by Dypo deLina »

'Gratz, Truf! :mrgreen:

Now, lemme think of a question...
チラセ・マギタ
~Married to Evolina deLuna~ <3
~Loving father to ZetaAzuel~

Proud creator of Cynder Janice, Rex Gladiorum, and Raimpius in Endless Time.

Image Image
Meph

Post by Meph »

Here is the explanation for the riddle:

High are his aspirations;
Underachieving is his art.
Brown, he is knowing;
Yet he shouts highes.

:P

But there were other clues. For example, have you seen his deviantart account? :P Also, he's a brony. The shouting refers to his prodcast.
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Congrats deHUGHES! Meph, you spelled HUGHES wrong on your second to last line.
Questions!

Why is Rarity the best pony?

Would you crossplay as her?

Do you have feelings for her like Spike does? Come on, you know you want to...
:awesome:
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

HUGHES

Gratz Truf! I only skimmed through the interview, but I'll read it in full when I'm off this boat

EDIT: ninja'd be meph, so I'll respond to that riddle, since I didn't get to see it...
Doesn't look that tough. Even if you didn't see that, "Yet he shouts highes" is only one letter off from "Yet he shouts HUGHES" :P

EDIT2: ninja'd by Gav, so..........
I think Meph purposely made it 'highes' :P
Gav

Post by Gav »

Bad Player wrote:HUGHES

Gratz Truf! I only skimmed through the interview, but I'll read it in full when I'm off this boat

EDIT: ninja'd be meph, so I'll respond to that riddle, since I didn't get to see it...
Doesn't look that tough. Even if you didn't see that, "Yet he shouts highes" is only one letter off from "Yet he shouts HUGHES" :P

EDIT2: ninja'd by Gav, so..........
I think Meph purposely made it 'highes' :P
I meant the second to last line in the interview, not the riddle.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Seem like I actually was correct. With an incorrect clue, but the deduction was right....heh...

Congratulations, Mr. deHughes. Well-deserved.

I am looking forward to your series... whenever it'll come.
And I'll try not to disappoint in RotS.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Bad Player wrote:I think Meph purposely made it 'highes' :P
It's meant to make you think, "That's a stupid typo. Shouldn't it say 'high?' " So it was to try to get you thinking that it's a bit suspicious. ;) It might have been better if I used a different word; one that wasn't one letter off "hughes". :P
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Congratz Truf~
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

(It didn't take me forever to notice this time!)

Congratulations HUGHES! You really do deserve it, as you are rather hilarious.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Congrats!
Citrus fruit or Berries?
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

I thank you all for your messages of congratulations, but I would ask if anyone knows how to pick locks. Meph hasn't let me out yet.

TwiGav: I'll copy my responses over from the Random Star thread: "While she started out as your typical fashion obsessed girly-girl, she had one thing I always liked: a british accent. And unlike a lot of people, I loved her look-obsessed shtick. She then evolved as the show went on to be a bit of a deadpan(see "Is she singing?" scene from episode 2), and a really relatable character for anyone who goes who a lot of stress and will give all she has to make her friends happy. Honestly, she is just so hilarious and relatable to me, I can't help but love her to death."

Would I cosplay as her? Is that a request? :cute:

And no, I don't wish to do the dance with no pants with Rarity. My heart belongs to Patchy. Forever and ever. <3

Diego: Berries, all the way.
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Meph: Well to be honest, I can't complain that you like a stereotypically girly show. I've started watching the Powerpuff Girls again, recently, after someone posted a picture of Him in the forums.

OH, YOU DID?

Congrats, Truf.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Gav

Post by Gav »

I Quadruple Dog Dare you to cosplay as Rarity, HUGHES. AND TAKE LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES. AND POST THEM ON THE PHOTOS THREAD.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.