October 2011 - Bad Player

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: Member of the Month: October 2011

Post by Meph »

I can't remember if I asked whether you've been to a Disney Park, BD? :P
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

BD?

And yes, I have. About 15 times, iirc.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Bad Player wrote:BD?
I can't exactly say it was a typo if D and P are on the opposite ends of the keyboard. :P
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Since Meph posted
Meph wrote:Bah. You keep flaunting those GK2 spoilers, BP. Stop bragging that you've completed it. :P
in the AtT thread, it's time for...

BP'S SUPER-SPECIAL AWESOME GK2 REVIEW~~~~~
GK2 SPOILERS GALORE~

Non-Spoiler Section: (Anyone can read this! :D)

In short: GK2 is amazing. It's definitely the best game in the AA series. The characters are as crazy as ever, the mysteries as convoluted, and the music as great.

Go and learn Japanese and play it. NOW.

Okay wow that was really short. I guess because I'm really strict on what I consider spoilers xD
Spoiler : General Spoiler (no plot twists or details will be given, but you shouldn't read if you want to play knowing absolutely nothing) :
Not that you'll ever get to play it...
So yeah. Five full-length cases, each completely insane and crazy. It's not actually that the mysteries are great; it's that the presentation of the mystery is great. I mean, it's one thing to have a great mystery, but another to present it in a really bad way. Don't worry, GK2 doesn't do that. It always gives you the evidence you can properly deduce the perfectly wrong solution (so that it is a major twist when you get the right answer ;D). There are quite a few examples where there's no actual new evidence, and the contradiction was sleeping in everything you've had already, and you're just liek ZOMGWTFBBQ WHY DIDN'T I SEE THAT AAAAAAAAUGH and it's awesome. (And... that sorta thing really doesn't usually happen in the other games, iirc.)

The music is nice, as always~ I thought some of the investigation music was bleh, and like Presto 2009 more than Presto 2011. There are also two certain character themes that are pretty similar and pretty ~_~. And most of the reminiscence themes sorta blended together. But it's all fitting, at least, and the rest of the music is pretty good.
ALSO, THE LITTLE THIEF MUSIC IS NO LONGER EAR-SPLITTINGLY ANNOYING. YAY.

The characters are pretty good, too. You'll see plenty of old faces (more on that in a moment), but of course, lots of new ones, too. The characters are all unique and new (except for a certain somebody who's extremely similar to an old character, but... that's the way it's supposed to be xD) and I think the breakdowns in GK2 are the best so far. It's kinda hard to talk generally about the characters, so I'll save the rest for the major spoiler section :3

Logic Chess. I thought it was pretty fun. The choices were timed, so that was kinda stressful, but the penalties are really low for failing, so whatever xD The logic chesses in the first case are really easy, but I think the logic chesses in the other cases are about the same difficulty. Which means when you get to case 2 they're really hard, but then they get easier as you go though b/c you get used to them. Definitely an interesting mechanic :3 I think it would be interesting to see it in some cases (although I'm not sure it could really be worked into a regular AA-styled case...)

If you thought AAI had a lot of references to the other games... GK2 definitely takes the cake in this department, too.

The overarching story was great. It's deep, and builds upon things established and brought up in other games. Can't say too much more about it, tho :3

Anyway, complaints. I have two major complaints, and they're related to the characters:
1. There's too many of them! You always have Edgey. Then at any given time, you have Kay, Gumshoe, Shigaraki, Mikagami, Yumihiko, Lang, and Franny (with perhaps one or two missing). You then usually have at least two witnesses/people related to the case. But the problem is, it's usually only Edgey, Kay, and the witness speaking. Maybe a fourth person will have one textbox. But it just felt weird to me having 10+ people on-screen, and only 2-3 actually doing anything.
2. There's too few of them! ...Er, new ones, at least. I'm not sure what else to say... There were a few too old characters for my liking... It would've be nice (and crazier! xD) to have a few more suspects. (However, one of the problems is that they all served a specific purpose that really connects to their character, so I'm not sure how to get rid of most of them without replacing them with a complete clone)
Spoiler : Major spoiler section (Don't read unless you've played GK2/are totally spoiled on GK2! Seriously!) :
First off: No, you're not ALWAYS with Edgey (as I said in the previous section). But that's a SPOILER. So shush!

Anyway, yay! I can go full-blown with my thoughts!

Okaaaaaaaaaaay..... Characters...................................
Kay: I liked Kay a lot in here. I felt she was pretty different from Trucy and Maya... moreso than when I played AAI. Maybe it's b/c it was in Japanese...? A bit more serious. Which I liked :3 She also totally shut down Shigaraki. Go Kay! I was also a bit worried that she would feel "tacked on", so I'm glad they resolved that in case 4.
Gummy: He was pretty standard Gummy for the beginning. His growth in cases 4 and 5 were nice :3 also ZOMG HE GOT A PAY RAISE. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP EPIC
Shigaraki: ZOMG I DUN LIEK J00. He annoyed me. He seems like the type of character that I'd like, but... iunno. I actually liked young!Shigaraki in case 3. I didn't mind him as much in case 4 and 5, but I think that's mostly because he didn't actually do anything in those cases (which is good~)
De Killer: Oh you assassin you. Glad they didn't do anything like they did in 2-4. (Well, they had him turn on his client, so... well, I guess they did do something similar to 2-4.) The fact that he wasn't the killer in the first case was an AMAZING twist xD I felt the whole scene with him and Ryouken at the very end was a bit... contrived/weird/meh, but oh well.
Hayami: An audio version of Lotta! xD She was a bit difficult to understand, but... Oh well, she was fun. I liked how she was actually connected to case 1 :3
Naitou-sama <3: IGIARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRI
Ou: (Well, the one we meet, at least) He was kinda annoying in case 1. Although taking away our evidence set up that awesome twist, but... I'm surprised he could retain his muscles after his death xD I'm a bit disappointed we never found out anything about the imposter. Like, who he was, why he did it, how and why he looked like Ou... Also, seriously, the best identity thief ever. He maintained it for 12 years! And not just some random joe schmoe... the president of a country! You've gotta be pretty beast (get it? cuz he's like a lion! ;P) to not have any person realize you're different.
Ryouken: He was weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeird. He had a pretty meh theme song. But I liked his puppy! :3 Also, ZOMG THAT BRAILLE-NOTE CONTRADICTION SHOULD'VE BEEN OBVIOUS WHY DIDN'T I SEE IT?!!?!
Orinaka: Hmm... I liked his breakdowns/damage sprites :3
Mary: Oh, Mary. The fact that she turned out to be super-important to the plot was crazy. Just like her breakdown. I figured out she was the killer when I was having a difficult time understanding her, and I went to the xat to vent, and I was liek, "BLOODY MARY!! ...wait" xD Although if Mary, Bansai and fake!Ou got 100 million yen, I still wanna know why Mary is actually working...
Frank: He could've totally been replaced with an original character. Which would've been fun b/c he actually does help Mary. But also having Edgey get the toupee thrown at him is just so satisfying...
Souta: OH SOUTA YOU. I realized he was the final villain in this case... I knew the final villain was a "clown". I was also talking about GK2 with Truf in xat, and I mentioned Souta, and Truf was liek, "Who is that again? Oh yeah, the monkey man." And de killer calls his client a monkey man in case 1, and it just clicked and I was liek AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHWTFFFFFFFFF b/c SERIOUSLY how could HE be the villain?! Souta didn't do much in this case, but... yeah. That was crazy.
[I don't have much to say about Gregory, Badd, Manny, and young!Shigaraki. Well, I do, but I'll say it when I talk about case 3~]
Tenkai: It would've been nice if he had more emotions/sprites... His chocolate addiction was kinda funny xD
Oyashiki: One crazy lady. Everything she did was pretty sweet, and it sure made one crazy case xD
Scone: Eh... not too much to say about her. It was kinda fun hearing about how she was a "vile woman who would do anything to win" and then actually meet her xD
Kazami: Young!Kazami is <3. I was liek "Yay Kazami! I don't care if you're the killer and have a sucky theme! I luvs j00 almost as much as Naitou-sama! <3" and then I met old!Kazami and was liek O_O. Pretty crazy breakdown, tho~
Hyoudou: I think this guy might be more of a jerk than Zak Gramarye! If he hadn't forced his son to kidnap Kazami's son, and hadn't stabbed Kazami in the back, then--barring SS-5--literally NOTHING in GK2 would've happened. NOTHING. Zak only cased 2 cases in AJ; Hyoudou caused all 5 in GK2!!!
Larry: Lol at him being there! I loved having him have another "crazy picture" again :3 Too bad it wasn't as good as in 3-5...
Lotta: It was fun having her there. And she was involved in case 5. And more crazy photos!
Ema: She was there, found some blood, and then left. I felt it wasn't as bad as in AAI, though
Bansai: Oh gosh this guy is a creeper. Also how does he have a six-pack at his age?! And why is he a pyromaniac?! And where does he get all those documents from?! And why was he running an illegal auction if he had 100 million yen?! And where did that crazy burn come from?! And why does he ride a motorcycle?! And if his motorcycle was in his garage how did he get to work that day?! i don't like the guy, but he was an interesting character that made good contributions to the story, at least.
Itami+granddaughter(forget her naaaaaame): I'm happy they were more involved than just "random coroner who happens to get sprites!"
Tsubasa: Eh... not much to say about her. She reminds me a lot of Scarlett Hall (in appearance, at least)
Shimon: He looks like a little punk... but he's actually a really good kid at heart! :3 That was sweet.
Penny/Will: As forgettable as ever ~_~ I think they could've replaced them with just one, new character.
Mikagami: Oooooh, I liked her. It's always fun when the rival is Lawful Good. She seemed like a regular stock character who just believed unwaveringly in the guilt of the first person she suspected, and seemed like an idiot for supporting Yumihiko all the time... but then the reason for all that was just amazing.
Yumihiko: Heh heh heh. In cases 2 and 3, he's an absolute idiot. Pretty insufferable. I mean... I want a rival, and THIS is what I get? Bu then his characterization in cases 4 and 5... I think he's the best-developed character in the entire franchise. The only character who could compete is Edgey, and he's had 4 games about him. We also get to see Yumihiko confront his dad, and... As a character, Yumihiko is just <3 by the end.

Turnabout Target: Best. first. case. EVER. Shelly not being the killer was amazing. I also loved how all the evidence to show that Hayami was the "assassin" was right there.
The Imprisoned Turnabout: My least favorite case in the game, but... still pretty great! Nothing seems wrong while playing, but thinking back on it, it seems really long and drawn-out. I really think they developed the mystery great, drawing you closer to the true murder method bit by bit, but with plenty of wrong solutions along the way. I also liked how no matter what you did, Souta was still the main suspect xD
The Inherited Turnabout: I thought it was going to be meh at first. I mean, it was a pastry competition. A PASTY COMPETITION! But... this is the most hardboiled (get it?) pastry competition ever. I mean... seriously xD A really long case that's also super-convoluted... it was great <3
Turnabout Oblivion: Tap was right... they pull off the amnesia trope so well. It's soooooo sad!!! ;_; I also liked how Kay acted completely differently xD And the sad version of Kay's them was so pretty! *_*
The Grand Turnabout: Zomg, AAI!judge's bench and witness stand! *_* The "crushed by a monster" thing was really fun xD tbh, I was a bit disappointed it wasn't as agonizingly long as I-5, but... oh well. Still pretty crazy! (Although I didn't really like how there was only one new location and one new character. I mean, even I-5 have TWO new characters! And a completely new location.)

So, yeah. That overarching plotline was pretty insane. Souta-fail, thinking Hyoudou was his dad, tho xD But really... every single case connected to the overarching plot. And the twist with the fake!Ou... and the fact that Souta is the one who did it all, and.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh crazy amazing awesome xDDD

I also really liked the themes :3 There were lots of animals, especially in cases 2 and 5. That was nice. But also the whole father thing... I mean, you have Edgey-Gregory, who are both attornies looking for the truth. Souta-Kazami, who were both murderers, and Naitou-Hyoudou, who were both murder victims. There's Shimon-Ou, and while they're not as connected, Ou is/was president and Shimon is an actor, so they both have jobs very visible to the public. And then Yumihiko-Bansai, which I think is great because they subvert their whole "father/son similarity" theme with that one.

So....... yeah.

すごいいいいいいい/10
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Hm, I suppose I should try playing GK2 after I've finished the games I'm currently playing... Though I doubt wheter I can understand it well enough (besides it will still take ages for me to finish those previous games...). It feels funny that I can read words like a murder suspect in kanjis even though I don't know many much, much simpler ones at all! I suppose my tastes in games and mangas really influence the words I learn... xDDD
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

GET A KANJI DICTIONARY AND PLAY IT IT'S WORTH ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

(It's a great game, and you'll learn tons of Japanese :3)
Meph

Post by Meph »

Bad Player wrote:GET A KANJI DICTIONARY AND PLAY IT IT'S WORTH ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
But how can anyone be immersed in a game when they have to pause for five minutes at every dialogue to look up what it means? :P
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

I never said she would get immersed in the game. Engrossed is totally possible. And it's because GK2 is awesome.

(also it's more like every 5 seconds, not minutes)

Also, which would you rather have: Playing GK2 but having to look up the kanji all the time, or not playing GK2 at all? :P
Meph

Post by Meph »

Bad Player wrote:Also, which would you rather have: Playing GK2 but having to look up the kanji all the time, or not playing GK2 at all? :P
The latter. :P But I'd be fine if I had a sheet of a translated transcript.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

So switching back and forth between a DS and a script is more immersive than switching back and forth between a DS and a dictionary? :roll:

Whatever, your loss :P
Meph

Post by Meph »

Bad Player wrote:So switching back and forth between a DS and a script is more immersive than switching back and forth between a DS and a dictionary? :roll:

But it's going to be like this: Pretend that you're Japanese and you're trying to translate this: "This witness is a fool!" So you'd have to open a dictionary, look up "this," look up "witness," look up "is," etc. And that'll take aaaaaaaaages!

But by reading a transcript, I can see the translation right in front of me. ;)
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

If all it requires is a transcript of the game, I might even get it myself. :P
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Bad Player wrote:I never said she would get immersed in the game. Engrossed is totally possible. And it's because GK2 is awesome.

Also, which would you rather have: Playing GK2 but having to look up the kanji all the time, or not playing GK2 at all? :P
Oh, I read a manga that way. Only problem, My translator is on my DS. I write down the kanji and it translates it for me.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Meph wrote:
Bad Player wrote:So switching back and forth between a DS and a script is more immersive than switching back and forth between a DS and a dictionary? :roll:

But it's going to be like this: Pretend that you're Japanese and you're trying to translate this: "This witness is a fool!" So you'd have to open a dictionary, look up "this," look up "witness," look up "is," etc. And that'll take aaaaaaaaages!

But by reading a transcript, I can see the translation right in front of me. ;)
Meph, you don't look up every word... Just the words you don't know ^^' Also, you learn the more common words more quickly (since they occur more often, but definition of being more common) which means you look up less and less as you go through. There were plenty of times (...mostly through the end) where I could go MINUTES without cracking open my dictionary :P (Also, I used an online dictionary for kana (phonetic) words, and a touch-screen dictionary for kanji (pictographic) words, which means that it usually took 10 seconds at most to look up any given word :P)

Holhol wrote:If all it requires is a transcript of the game, I might even get it myself. :P
The problem is that such a transcript doesn't exist ^^' (yet)
enigma wrote:
Bad Player wrote:I never said she would get immersed in the game. Engrossed is totally possible. And it's because GK2 is awesome.

Oh, I read a manga that way. Only problem, My translator is on my DS. I write down the kanji and it translates it for me.
Oooooooooh which DS kanji dictionary do you have? :o
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Bad Player wrote: Also, which would you rather have: Playing GK2 but having to look up the kanji all the time, or not playing GK2 at all? :P
Oooooooooh which DS kanji dictionary do you have? :o
Uh...Kanji Rabuki or something to that effect.