August 2012 - Singidava

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Member of the Month: August 2012

Post by Ping' »

Congrats Singidava!

Any favorite books? Graphic artists?
Also, have you heard of Ceres/Mr. Incognito?
Finally, I noticed seem pretty educated on politics and world affairs, is that a particular subject of interest to you?
Last edited by Ping' on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ami
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ami »

- What's your favorite DeSu character?
- """" Pokemon?
- """" Whedon-related show?
- Do you keep up with Broadway musicals? If so, which do you like?
- What's your guilty pleasures in terms of entertainment? B-horror flicks? Gooey romances? etc...
- Come to think of it, what do you even look like?
- Captain Falcon has a baby with Judge Dredd somehow. What do you name him?
- What's your favorite webcomic?
- Ryuuzaki07 v. Junji Ito- who makes scarier stuff?
since 2008!
King Pie

Post by King Pie »

Have you ever killed a living thing with your bare hands?
Go here alot
DAVE X PIE FOREVER
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Well, if it isn't the hipster herself. Congrats!
TKinhonipei
Spoken languages: asdfjkl;

Post by TKinhonipei »

E.D.Revolution wrote:Well, if it isn't the hipster herself. Congrats!
Say what. :P

Congrats Shingi!! :)
Gumpei is so awesome for being everything that I've always wished for. <3
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

Holhol is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Congrats chica, didn't know you had this in ya ;P
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Singidava wrote:Some examples are: shounen: FMA, fantasy: Madoka Magica, suspense: Death Note, sci-fi: LOGH, romance: RK: Tsuiokuhen, drama: AnoHana, action: Black Lagoon, thriller: Monster... and so on. Most of those are popular for a reason.
Mostly good picks, but I really couldn't agree with RK: Tsuiokohen as an exemplary romance (exemplary in general, yes, but as a romance, no), or with Madoka as a fantasy (It relied far too much not knowing what was going to happen, retrospectively it loses a lot. It's also been done before... see Bokurano, Narutaru, and The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. Not to mention that Twelve Kingdoms, Seirei no Moribito, and Berserk are infinitely better examples.)
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

@Ping: You actually... dared to... spell my name... as "diva"... IT'S DAVA NOT DIVA DKLFGHÖPSJFÖLZXdf. Ahem, the point is I rather dislike the word "diva".
Anyways, as for your questions, my current favourite books are Legend of the Sunk Knight light novels by Yu Wo who is also the writer of ½ Prince. Out of graphic artists... Well, my favourite manga artist is still Takeshi Obata as I love his style at the end of Hikaru no Go and the beginning of Death Note. Though I don't like that much his work with Bakuman... I wish the next manga he drew would be a bit more serious as he tends to change styles depending the tone of the manga.
Of course, I've heard of Ceres (who hasn't?) and iirc we've commented on each others posts a few times but I can't say I know him that well.
Politics isn't really any of my top interests but I think debating about it is a) fun b) a great way to get to know a person. Some people get way too serious about it though. That "education" you mentioned mostly comes from simply reading newspapers and watching news.

@Ami: Sorry that my answers are going to be boring but... I've never played DeSu, I don't really have a fav Pokemon and I don't even know what Whedon is. Well, I suppose I could pick Suicune as my fav Pokemon since Crystal was my fav Pokemon game. I tend to like water types anyways. About Broadway musicals... I don't even think there is a legal way to "keep up" with them in Finland. So yeah, I haven't seen any aside from some Youtube clips.
Guilty pleasures... Now they wouldn't be true guilty pleasures if I admitted them would they? xD
Well, the closest thing I can think of is fanfictions. I don't actually mind reading them that much even though so many of them have romance elements that I tend to hate. Oh, and sometimes I read reeeeally wangsty stuff too (mostly Tsubasa fics). Depending on my mood I can also watch a few episodes of some mind-numbingly stupid animes (like... Tokyo Mew Mew for example) but I've never managed to watch a full series... at least yet. Even my brains need a vacation sometimes. :P
Next the question about how I look like. Well, I've a fairly short brown hair (think about Maggey Byrde for example) and brown eyes, am about 170 cm tall (and my converter says it's about 5'7" for you Americans with weird units) so I'm rather tall for a woman. Needless to say that I've a fairly pale skin as it's difficult to not get one living this far North if you don't belong to any of the ethnic minorities. I'm neither over or underweight though a bit closer to the skinny side. Is there anything else I should tell...?
That baby would be called Norio Wakamoto.
My fav webcomic is Scandinavia and the World buuuut I don't read much webcomics in the first place.
As for your final question, I don't know any "Ryuuzaki07", perhaps you meant "Ryuukishi07"? Well, anyways, my answer is Junji Ito because Ryuukishi07 mostly just writes gore that's more yucky than scary.

@Pie: Do mosquitos count? Oh boy, I've killed them a lot. Now I must repent.

@Lind: The problem with romance is that... Well, you know how much I hate it. And I don't want to recommend something I didn't enjoy at least a bit myself. That leaves me with exactly two choices. First of them being Koi Kaze and second is RK: Tsuiokuhen. Now I know how many people have problems watching incest so I simply chose the less controversal one. As for fantasy... Yes, I know it's been done before and out of the choices you mentioned I had already seen Bokurano and Narutaru far before Madoka Magica even came out. That, however, doesn't mean Madoka isn't a great anime (I mean, what *hasn't* been done before?). The main reason I didn't choose the titles you named don't really have their focus in the fantasy. Yes, they do have fantasy elements but that's just not the focus. So yeah, I still stand behind my choices. It's not like I said those were the only great animes in their genres.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Singidava wrote:The main reason I didn't choose the titles you named don't really have their focus in the fantasy. Yes, they do have fantasy elements but that's just not the focus. So yeah, I still stand behind my choices. It's not like I said those were the only great animes in their genres.
OK, I have no idea what you're talking about there. Especially in Twelve Kingdoms' case, where an enormous part of what makes the series work is how much focus on the setting there is.
Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Ping' »

Singidava > Haha, sorry 'bout the typo, I wouldn't like it either ;)
(It really was a typo, I never thought that was actually your username, my fingers just wandered on their own it seems)
I'll have to check out The Legend of the Sunk Knight, you have good taste ^^
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

"They" referring to (the beginnings of) Seirei no Moribito and Berserk. I haven't actually seen Twelve Kingdoms yet. It's on my to watch list though.
King Pie

Post by King Pie »

Are you a succubus?
Go here alot
DAVE X PIE FOREVER
Ami

Post by Ami »

Singidava wrote:I've never played DeSu
Really? I always thought the main character of the first game was the character in your avatar. ^_^;;

Also, Americans aren't the only weird ones. So is Madagascar, apparently. But then again, we all live in our own little communities. One community's "energetic but dorky people" are another community's "slang term for the mentally retarded" (which is why Mario Party 8 was edited for the European release, as apparently "spastic" means something different over there).

Next the question about how I look like. Well, I've a fairly short brown hair (think about Maggey Byrde for example) and brown eyes, am about 170 cm tall (and my converter says it's about 5'7" for you Americans with weird units) so I'm rather tall for a woman. Needless to say that I've a fairly pale skin as it's difficult to not get one living this far North if you don't belong to any of the ethnic minorities. I'm neither over or underweight though a bit closer to the skinny side. Is there anything else I should tell...?
*Shrug* Ah well, it was worth a shot~ For some reason, I've been curious about what people look like lately. I spent a good half hour to an hour looking at the photo topic. Gotta say- the camera loves ShadowEdgeworth. Also, he seems to be one of the few people prone to facial expressions other than the classics "Smile", "Cool frown with shades", and "Duck face". ... >__> And yes, I'm guilty of only showing the first.
since 2008!
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

I suppose I should give my congratulations to you. So... Favorite character in The Legend of the Sun Knight?
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

y u so stubborn?