October 2012 - ApolloGrimoire

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Tap
Spoken languages: English

October 2012 - ApolloGrimoire

Post by Tap »

Member of the Month
October 2012
ApolloGrimoire

Is it a bird!? Is it a plane!? No, it's... Captaaaain Scooootlaaaaaand!
This is the Member of the Month; an interview that I do at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected
members of the community.

I personally select each month's Member of the Month. People are picked based on their contributions to the community, whether they are: making excellent trials, providing comic relief or just being a brilliant person. The next Member of the Month could be you!

If you have any questions about the Member of the Month system, please PM me.
This is my second interview following Meph's decision to place Member of the Month in my hands due to his university schedule. However, Meph may choose to conduct an interview here and there, but for the most part, these interviews will be conducted by me.

Our next Member of the Month is ApolloGrimoire. Once known as OrangeLightning, he is the creator of The Heartbreaking Turnabout, an epic (in both senses) 'Case 5' which seeks to explore his abundant, crazy ideas. A case which is still in development and has been revised a number of times, each revision has produced a far sharper result, with today's playable parts of superb quality. If you haven't given it a go, then I would highly recommend that you do so! It's a great 'Case 5''! :)

I must admit I was a bit surprised at how everyone believed Wolfy was going to be the MotM. My riddle was surprisingly clear, and I'm sure once you break it down, it makes perfect sense. Here is an explanation for it. I suppose my riddle making skills outmatch the intellect of Americans and Frenchies... :mrgreen:
Titian aeons past: 'Titian' is a bright golden auburn colour applied as an adjective towards hair. It is an antiquated word which only pops up in formal works nowadays. Titian can be used as a synonym for orange. Therefore, the first line of my riddle states the MotM was 'orange once ago', and ApolloGrimoire used to be known as OrangeLightning. A fitting use of 'Titian' can also be applied to his Scottish heritage, since all Scots are stereotypically red-haired.

China a revisionist: This once is a bit more tricky. China is considered a 'revisionist' power, more so under Maoist principles because Mao was a strong revisionist: "a Communist who tries to rewrite Marxism to justify a retreat from the revolutionary position." The principle I'm trying to grab here is the idea of continuous revision/revolution, which can be applied to The Heartbreaking Turnabout. Even though Parts 1 ~ 4 are out, Apollo has mentioned plans to go back and improve on them, even in some small and slight manner, hence a 'continuous revolution'. I'm not calling his game or himself communist, so don't be too frightened. This clue was furthered by my second riddle, "A Revolution is coming October 26..."

Hippie fashion chick: In PW:AA, Oldbag described Maya as this. Apollo's game features Maya, rather controversially in fact.
Tap: Hello, and welcome to the twenty ninth Member of the Month interview.

ApolloGrimoire: Thanks for having me here.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Tell us about how you found AAO, and what made you want to join.

ApolloGrimoire: To be honest, I really don't remember.

It was around early 2010 when I bought the original trilogy through the Wii Shopping Channel. After finishing all three games, I googled
around and came across court-records. That was where I found a game called Silence of the Turnabout by Bad Player. And thanks to a handy (thank goodness) guide, I beat the game and was really happy of how it was planned out. It's just as good as the official games.

I also checked out the engines, but I wanted something more simple. One of the links brought me on to AAO and the rest is history. I do want to adapt my game to PyWright, eventually. Though I did sign up to check out the forums too. I'm more active on AAO, than on
Court-Records.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Let's talk about your fangame, The Heartbreaking Turnabout. Can you please tell us about it, and why you are developing it?

ApolloGrimoire: Until the start of last year I didn't own Apollo Justice, I only saw YouTube footage of the game by Zslyzer. The
differences between Phoenix certainly were jarring.

While the game was great to play, it left many questions unanswered and many plot holes which I needed to fill. Until GS5 was announced, I wanted to make an end game which felt like it would answer all of them. One of the biggest no doubt was the revelation of who Lamiroir was and I wanted to centre it around her and all those that were involved. The simple fact is what happened to Apollo and why she abandoned him.

The whole game like yours is centered on Thalassa Gramarye and all those that were involved with her. It's split into three character arcs, though many already know who the final arc belongs to. It also has two single interludes between Maya and and final Story arc. One of them centres on what happened to Apollo's father and the other I will keep secret.

The first arc is mostly to introduce new players to the games, but also catch up on events past AJ. The second arc is dealing with the aftermath and learning more about the returning characters as well as meeting new faces relating to the defendant. As well as deal with a massive plothole that somehow everybody overlooked. I'm sure you know what I mean, Tap. Sorry about using the bold button to get my point across.

For right now, it's only lacking cutscenes which I'm in desperate need of. I'm not artist and I'm better at telling stories.

The final arc, I will keep quiet on it. Though, most of you again already know who's playable.

Or do you...
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: One of the contentious points in your recently released part is the beginning of the 'Maya Fey Arc' where the once-assistant becomes playable. Can you tell us about it, and the factors that went into its development?

ApolloGrimoire: It's the seven year gap. Aside for side mentions and background cameos, there's been no mention to what officially happened to her. For the ending of Trials and Tribulations, all we knew is that she became the master and still wanted to help Phoenix run the law office.

Executive meddling from Capcom aside, there's been no official word. I wanted to, in my eyes, bridge the gap between T&T and AJ. That's why this case (or game) is split into seperate story character arcs. It's the most original concept even if it is fan made.

Tap: 'Contentious' is one word to describe Maya Fey in AJ-era cases. Do you think with the upcoming release of the Trial Arc, opinions will change? Or maybe it's the sprites. I know for a fact I can't help but think of AJ!Maya as either a Mia or Ema edit! XD

ApolloGrimoire: For opinion changes, I hope so. For you? Yeah, I know how much you hate her character.

From the start, my idea was to have her in the game as a main character, but I wanted her to be more rounded and developed as she's now older. She was starting to change after her mother died. What I did to her was extreme, but I couldn't think of any other way of why she wasn't present for the Zak Enigmar trial.

My original plan was more darker than it is right now. Just making you like Maya is an achivement in itself. For a Mia/Ema edit, no chance. Maya will have original sprites as you've already seen with the loading screen and her concept sprite.

For a TVTrope, she fits in as the only sane woman and genre savvy. It shows up a lot in the trial part when it comes to a certain point.

Tap: Certainly Part 4 managed to convince my mind of Maya appearing in an AJ era case, but I think 'how' it is done would differ from each case. One thing is certain, though. Maya can't return as the jubilant, happy-go-lucky featherbrain she is. :wink:
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: As a developer, you've ignored the Case Competition cries or those of others to work on another case, one irrelevant to THT, which leads me to my questions. Have you any ideas for other cases, and have you been tempted to enter one of the Case Competitions before?

ApolloGrimoire: I've never thought about it really. I've spent all my time on making this game. It's huge and it's not even halfway finished.

Tap: Never? You must have had one idea at one point... ^^

ApolloGrimoire: Sadly, I haven't. I've concentrated all my effort on The Heartbreaking Turnabout. Only other thing that stood out to me was 'What If' modes that evolved into a later part of my game. I'm surprised nobody made a what-if scenario in the Zak Enigmar Trial.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Do you happen to have a favourite fan trial here on Ace Attorney Online?

ApolloGrimoire: I've played Silence and Bitter and they're both great stand alone cases. Though yours is my favourite, since ours are both similar, but different also.

Tap: No Blackrune cases? :(

ApolloGrimoire: I've not had time to play them. I've heard they're hard.

Tap: Oh, you're in a world for pain, then... I expect the first couple of pages of this thread will be littered with complaints and requests for you to hurry up and go play some of his cases. You've played 'Trials after Justice', but not 'Turnabout of Courage'? Sacrilege! :XD:
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Have you drawn inspiration and ideas from a range of fancases across the site? A pretty rhetorical question, but let's go into detail.

ApolloGrimoire: Until I came across your game, it was mostly from Silence and Substituion. I have played other games recently like SilentBobX's Trials after Justice, most after watching ArcLad84's awesome dub of it, check it out when you can.

Back to the topic it's mostly from other games that made my create my own. I only came across yours because of your huge view count. And the fact that your idea is the same as mine.

For those that think I stole Tap's idea. I didn't, it was just by pure accident. He strongly supports this.

Tap: I do recall posting something after finding out about your little game, though... ^^'
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Now let's talk about your personal life. What was your childhood like?

ApolloGrimoire: I really honestly don't remember much about it. I guess it's the same for every child. The only two things I can remember was a huge arson attack at my local primary school. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but I think I heard it was deliberate.

And myself singing during a Christmas assembly that brought my mother and support teacher to tears. Though the ending still boggles my mind, I have no clue why our head teacher snapped at us.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: That brings me to my next question. What is your average day like?

ApolloGrimoire: Boring, but simple, I usually watch the news in the morning first to catch up what I've missed and prepare myself for the weather. My town's been flooded twice in three months and we had the Sky News Crew there too.

Back to topic, I volunteer four full days at Oxfam, so that leaves me two days of where I usually go to the local gym to work out and get fit again. Ten years ago, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I found out that most of my family in the past had it, but it also skipped a generation.

That photo I sent you, that's the thinnest I've been for 13 years. Four years ago, I was nearly 30 stone. Now I'm just under 18 and it's thanks to a New Year Pledge I took.

To this day, I'm shocked by how different I looked when I saw past photos of myself.

Tap: What is it like working for Oxfam?

ApolloGrimoire: It's a huge breath of fresh air in my life. It's great working there and I'm learning so much about Oxfam itself. All the staff are very friendly and the manager herself thinks very highly of me.

In times, if it weren't for me, the store wouldn't even be open. She's very short on volunteers. Just recently, a former Commonwealth medalist started working for us and I've helped him get settled in. Thankfully he has, and his stories are incredible too.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: What are your plans for the future?

ApolloGrimoire: Only two, beating my diabetes and getting full time employment.

Tap: What sot of employment are you interested in? From what you've mentioned of Oxfam, social justice appears to be something you're deeply passionate about, right?

ApolloGrimoire: More like expression of free will.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Which is your favourite Ace Attorney game?

ApolloGrimoire: Has to be the first game as it introduced me to this. When I played the first case, I felt hooked on to play the rest. I'm really happy that I did. The gameplay, the characters, everything really.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: What other games do you really like?

ApolloGrimoire: RPG's like Pokemon and Final Fantasy. I don't care about the flame wars. I only play for the game and they're all good. Though I don't care about FF II or FF VIII. Still need to play XIII-2.

For Pokemon, I own Gen 1, 2 and four. My favourite out of them is Silver. Don't know why, maybe it's because of the rival, Silver. He goes through a lot of character development.

I'm also a fan of Mario and Sonic games. Unfortunately I do own the awful 06. So why did I buy the game twice? Because I had to own it. S3&K is my favourite. For Mario, it has to be Galaxy 2. 3D Platforming perfection. I'm more a Sonic fan that a Mario fan. The UK comics were great to read and it gave massive depth to their characters.

I also have a LP channel called OrangeLightning86, but I gave it up because of the real life, and if I owned any of the Layton games, they would be here too.

For the adult secton, Grand Theft Auto 4 without question. Thankfully my profanity is kept to a minimum, aside for my LP of it.

Tap: You don't think highly of FFVIII? We shall never speak again! XD
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: What was the first video game you ever played?

ApolloGrimoire: Super Mario Bros. 3. Thought I never watched The Wizard. I only just beat it recently. The NES version of course.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Last question, now. Do you have any other interests?

ApolloGrimoire: I'm working to get my health back to normal and learning Japanese. I just bought two books on learning own how to speak and understand them without relying on subtitles.

Wii Fit is a great plus since my health's improving all the time. My balance is strangely out of whack, even when standing still.

I'm also a huge fan of anime, thanks to Toonami UK. First anime I watched was Pokemon on a Saturday Morning. From then on I was hooked to it like everyone else. For my favourite right now, it's One Piece and FullMetal Alchemist.

I used to swim a lot when I was young, but I seriously need to get back into learning how to swim again. Just recently, I've gotten into Mystery Science Theater 3000. Not sure why, but that show is really entertaining to watch.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: One of my trademark MotM interviews will feature a question or two about politics. As a Scotsman, are you willing to share your views on the Scottish National Party or to be more specific, the likely 2014 referendum on Scotland's secession from the United Kingdom?

ApolloGrimoire: I really don't care about politics, it's on TV far too often that I'm past caring. As for the mentioned referendum. Maybe Scotland would be better off, but that's my own opinion.

Tap: How do you feel about Her Majesty The Queen? Were you one who waited in the pouring rain for her or any other royals to come by your city?

ApolloGrimoire: I watched the live celebrations, but I wouldn't wait for her. I respect her, don't mistake me.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Time for some fun stereotypical Scottish-related questions! Have you worn a kilt before, eaten haggis, and do you have a stereotypical Scottish accent?

ApolloGrimoire: For some strange reason, people think I have a Irish or American accent. Don't know how, but I don't have a pure Scottish voice. It's mostly English despite what others think.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Before we conclude this interview, do you have anything else you'd like to say?

ApolloGrimoire: Just to say thanks to everyone on the forum and community for introducing me to this. Also, special thanks goes to everyone who follows and helps with my game and for making me continue with it. It will be finished, that I can guarantee.

Also, thanks to you, Tap, for helping me get where I am now with this. If it wasn't for your input and advice. I wouldn't be where I am now. Lastly, thanks for making me Member of the Month. I'm still surprised that I was chosen. Hope you all enjoyed the interview.
ImageImage
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Member of the Month: October 2012

Post by kwando1313 »

You trolled us all Tapy von Tapburg. You trolled us all. :(

Anywho, congrats Apollo! (I swear, I'll get to proofreading eventually!)

And now for some questions... (I guess...)

Do you share in Tap's delight of delicious cheese?
Haggis, what's it like?
Also, you work for Oxfam. That's some cool stuff. (And also, that's not a question. :p)
Last edited by kwando1313 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
TKinhonipei
Spoken languages: asdfjkl;

Post by TKinhonipei »

Holy crap you got us good, Tap. Very good. XD

Congrats Apollo!!
I remember your old username! It was... Er... OrangeLightning, I think?

Anyways, you very well deserved this. :)
Gumpei is so awesome for being everything that I've always wished for. <3
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

Holhol is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

Some comments.
Spoiler : :
OrangeLightning is my YouTube username. I gave up LP-ing a long time ago. :) Check it out when you can.

Haggis, never tried it. :?
And cheese, sadly no. :(

Oxfam, I love working for them. Four days a week is good enough for me.

To Tap, I'm still in shock but happy that I'm made member of the month, thank you. :mrgreen:
Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter
Greatest Weakness - Mis;use of; Semi;colons
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Wow... you had to REALLY stretch to make that riddle work... :XD:

So in the end, Tap was just being mean to Wolf. :awesome:

But seriously, congrats!

What's your favorite Final Fantasy?
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

My absolute favourite is Final Fantasy IX. I did a near 200 episode LP of it.
Since it's the PAL version, it runs a little slower.

Second fave is XIII, then IV is my third.

Least fave is VIII because of the battle system.

I've never played or finished II and III.

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

*insert Gluttony Fang here*

Well, didn't see that one coming. Congratz Apollo. I guess we don't really hang around much so this was a cool opportunity to get to know a lot more about you. Very good read.

...No questions at the moment, I'm afraid ^^
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Congrats man!
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

Yes congrats man now to my question...
Do you like walls of text?
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

PLAY ALL OF BLACKRUNE'S CASES even tho I didn't finish paris yet oops

Congratulations, Apollo!
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

ZetaAzuel wrote:Yes congrats man now to my question...
Do you like walls of text?
Heck no. As long as it makes sense.

Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Ping' »

Congrats, ApolloGrimoire!

That was a great read.
Good luck getting your health back in order. You're on the right track, so I'm sure it'll all work out.
ApolloGrimoire

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

Just after finishing the questions, the following morning, my doctor informed me that I'm no longer need to take my medication for my Type 2 Diabetes. :mrgreen:

It's for a 3 month trial period, but still. It's great news. :mrgreen:

Meph

Post by Meph »

Wow. That's the best news you could ever get! :D
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

Congratulations Apollo!! (For the clear and being the MOTM!) :D

So, what is the worst TV show, movie or game that you have ever seen/played? :awesome:

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!