July 2013 - Bandit Keith (aka Gourdy)

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Re: Member of the Month: July 2013

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Thank you, Enthalpy. To answer your question, I feel like 1-5 was a case where I actually cared about the people involved a lot. I can't pinpoint exactly what caused it, but the story itself just made me keep going. If I had to give a reason, though, then I'd say that I found Gant extremely entertaining, as well as the other characters introduced in that case, but it was mostly Gant who stood out. Though I'll also admit that it might just be because it was just a sudden jump in quality from the previous cases... While I'm sure many will argue that AA is a good game, 1-5 has much better writing (in my opinion) in comparison to the other cases in the first game, simply because it was made after the writing team had more experience with the other games. Really, looking back at AA1, it's kind of strange to compare it to the other AA games, from a writing standpoint.

I feel like I prefer Mystery game-VNs. I'm not the best person to ask due to my own mixed feelings on the mystery genre, but I feel like adding some sort of "game" helps keep it entertaining. Actually, in general, I prefer Visual Novels to have some sort of gameplay involved beyond just making choices. Even if it's an extremely good story that I really like, gameplay always helps to keep it fresh, unless it's implemented poorly. (Of course, there ARE some Visual Novels where gameplay doesn't fit the tone of it, but in general, well-implemented gameplay helps.)

Well, to be perfectly honest, I will fully admit that IWBTT is completely unfair and you have to have a very specific mindset in order to like it. I would find it difficult to recommend to most people. Even the author admits that it's not for everyone. But something about how utterly ridiculous it was just managed to appeal to me, and I find Zeel's sense of humor very hilarious. Though I will say that the experience would be much better if there was a more convenient way to reload, but that probably can't be helped.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Remilia Scarlet
Spoken languages: English

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

GD, allow me to commemorate this occasion with questions I chose with a reasonable amount of consideration.

1. In general, what do you believe are some of the factors that cause a roleplay to rise in activity?
2. The factors that cause it to drop in activity?
3. How much do you speculate about how the story of a roleplay will unfold compared to how much you just wait and see what happens?
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

...I just totally lost my whole post and I'm typing this all on a phone so that is incredibly frustrating. Here I go trying to replicate it...

Can't believe it took this long Obviously very well-deserved, congrats Gourdy!

I've recently been rekindling my love with Theatrhythm (over 100 hours), so it's the only thing I'n capable of asking questions about at present time.

What's your favorite song from Theatrhythm? (You can do separate ones for fun and pure listening enjoyment if you wish.)

What's your favorite FF song NOT in Theatrhythm?

And what's your favorite pre-stage dialogue between your party members?

...For fun, I'll give my own answers to these, as well. In order: Big Bridge (fun), Sunleth Waterscape (listening), real Emotion/1000 Words, and "Now we launch protectively with protection."
GuardianDreamer

Remilia Scarlet wrote:GD, allow me to commemorate this occasion with questions I chose with a reasonable amount of consideration.

1. In general, what do you believe are some of the factors that cause a roleplay to rise in activity?
2. The factors that cause it to drop in activity?
3. How much do you speculate about how the story of a roleplay will unfold compared to how much you just wait and see what happens?
That's right, peon. You SHOULD carefully consider the questions you ask to your overlord. Your deity demands sacrifice as well. Ten of your finest livestock should do. Thank you Remi. As for your questions...

1. At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, an active GM (or GMs, in the case of RPs with more than one) is very important in keeping a steady pace of activity. A GM who carefully monitors the RP and listens to the players can often keep their RP alive. I think the biggest reason why RPs tend to die off is because the GMs end up being busy with real life or other duties. Not that I can fault them for it, since they have their own lives to live, of course. While this probably isn't the right recipe to getting dozens of pages each day, it IS the right way to keep your RP alive in my book.

2. Basically the exact opposite of the above. Also god-modding debates tend to cause activity to decline as well. Actually, any kind of controversy tends to cause activity to die off... Sort of. It DOES cause activity, but it's not the kind of activity that GMs should look for, since the players might get tired of the debates, causing them to be less willing to post.

3. I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I'll say that I often think about how the plot could develop. I think about how other people's character arcs could develop as well as my own. Though for the most part, rather than the main plot, I like to think about possible character interactions. It can be quite interesting to think about. Though I have plenty of ideas that I never used, usually because they were too ridiculous, made no sense, or just never got a chance to happen. For example, in Endless Time, I often thought about what it would be like if Alexis got to meet Exa after Kenneth's death and Exa found out that Alexis had killed Kenneth, but that never really had a chance to happen.
Gumpei wrote:...I just totally lost my whole post and I'm typing this all on a phone so that is incredibly frustrating. Here I go trying to replicate it...

Can't believe it took this long Obviously very well-deserved, congrats Gourdy!

I've recently been rekindling my love with Theatrhythm (over 100 hours), so it's the only thing I'n capable of asking questions about at present time.

What's your favorite song from Theatrhythm? (You can do separate ones for fun and pure listening enjoyment if you wish.)

What's your favorite FF song NOT in Theatrhythm?

And what's your favorite pre-stage dialogue between your party members?

...For fun, I'll give my own answers to these, as well. In order: Big Bridge (fun), Sunleth Waterscape (listening), real Emotion/1000 Words, and "Now we launch protectively with protection."
Thanks Gumpei. I'd have to agree with you when saying that Big Bridge is probably my favorite song for fun. For listening, it's probably Terra's Theme. My favorite FF song NOT in Theatrhythm... I'd say Forever Rachel from FF6, though that might just be because I really like Locke.

It's tough to decide my favorite pre-stage dialogue. But if I had to pick... "In the end, we fight for Chaos."
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Make My Life Worse
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

GuardianDreamer wrote:For example, in Endless Time, I often thought about what it would be like if Alexis got to meet Exa after Kenneth's death and Exa found out that Alexis had killed Kenneth, but that never really had a chance to happen.
So have I, as it happens. I hold to the belief that it could still somehow come up in conversation between the two, by some amazing circumstance.
Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

1. How did you find about the Nasuverse?

2. Out of the three main stories (Tsukihime, Fate, and Kara No Kyoukai), which is your favorite and why?

3. What is your opinion on bad ends in general? Do you have a favorite?

4. Why can't you see that Shiki Ryougi's third personality is the most over powered thing ever? Do you have a top ten VN characters list?

5. Can you put your characters into the nine possible alignments?
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
GuardianDreamer

Remilia Scarlet wrote:
GuardianDreamer wrote:For example, in Endless Time, I often thought about what it would be like if Alexis got to meet Exa after Kenneth's death and Exa found out that Alexis had killed Kenneth, but that never really had a chance to happen.
So have I, as it happens. I hold to the belief that it could still somehow come up in conversation between the two, by some amazing circumstance.
They could probably talk in the RP Chat and we could probably plan some kind of way for it to be brought up. Though if ET ever picks up again, I can think of a way for Alexis to indirectly mention Kenneth, but it might be a bit of a stretch.
Master Of Chaos wrote:1. How did you find about the Nasuverse?

2. Out of the three main stories (Tsukihime, Fate, and Kara No Kyoukai), which is your favorite and why?

3. What is your opinion on bad ends in general? Do you have a favorite?

4. Why can't you see that Shiki Ryougi's third personality is the most over powered thing ever? Do you have a top ten VN characters list?

5. Can you put your characters into the nine possible alignments?
1. Fate/stay Night is the most popular VN according to the VNDB, and the Nasuverse is an important part of VN History. It would be extremely weird if I hadn't heard of it.

2. Kara no Kyoukai, mainly because I find Ryougi's viewpoint to be very interesting. Though lately, I've been most interested in Nasu's latest work, Mahou Tsukai no Yoru, starring Aoko. That might be because the music is excellent, though, and I obviously can't judge the plot yet.

3. I like bad ends that crush your soul and make you appreciate the good ends more. I tend to appreciate Bad Endings that actually have a story to them, rather than the "sudden death" Bad Endings that is common in, say, the Nasuverse, or the infamous bad endings from School Days. My favorite Bad Ending would probably be Mizuki Kirimiya's Bad End in Yume Miru Kusuri.

4. Because Nasuverse power levels aren't exactly consistent? I don't have a list, but I can make one right now. Also I'm giving you Top 9 instead because I'm lazy. Just keep in mind that this is mostly out of order...
Spoiler : List :
1. Aeka Shiraki (Yume Miru Kusuri)
2. Sakuya Ohtori (Rewrite)
3. Akane Senri (Rewrite)
4. Mio Nishizono (Little Busters!)
5. Kyousuke Natsume (Little Busters!)
6. Tortinita Fine (Symphonic Rain)
7. Rin Tezuka (Katawa Shoujo)
8. Youhei Sunohara (Clannad)
9. Anghel Higure (Hatoful Boyfriend)
5. Probably not. I could probably do it for some of them, but there are others that I just couldn't figure out, mostly because they have different morals than the average person. (Blue and Orange Morality, to use a TV Tropes term.)
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

When are power levels in ANYTHING consistent?

I will never understand people that take a microscope to things and try to gauge the power level of the cast. It never works out and it gets to the point where you're just ridiculously overanalyzing the story when it gets to that level.

I know that part was striked but I couldn't resist going on a tangent. Pet peeve.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Where did your name come from?
GuardianDreamer

It came from... Not much, really. I remember registering on GameFAQS and needing a username. Previously I had joined mostly extremely small communities, and I used the same name all the time on those, but on GameFAQS, that name was already taken. So I basically combined two of my favorite words. Though I do like making up some sort of meaning sometimes... But that might be cheating since I didn't think of a meaning when I actually created the name.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
Master Of Chaos

1. Do you have a favorite Character theme from BlazBlue? Favorite VS theme?

2. Which version of EMIYA is your favorite?

3. Someone give me another question to ask. I'm running out of ideas.

4: Favorite Persona 4 character and why?

5: Will you give me a hug?

6: Why are you always so cryptic?

7: Are there any events you're anticipating/would like to do in any of the RP's your in?

8: Favorite characters to RP as?

9: Any celebrities you would would like to throw a shoe at?

10: Cat or Dogs?
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
GuardianDreamer

1. Condemnation Wings. For my favorite VS theme... Probably White Requiem.

2. If you're willing to count it... This one.

3. I'm guessing you came up with more, then.

4. Probably Kanji. I was pretty fond of his social link and personality in general, even if gameplay-wise he wasn't that useful. Outside of the playable characters... I really liked Dojima, though I'll confess that Hiimdaisy's P4 comics might have influenced that.

5. Sure why not.

6. I'm not always cryptic. Sometimes I'm very blunt.

7. Far too many to list.

8. That's really a tough one, especially since how much I like writing certain characters varies depending on who they're interacting with. And I've spent a lot of time on this question. No, seriously, I keep writing and deleting my answer for this one because I really can't choose a favorite. I guess I really like writing as my ET characters though, as well as Kana. But picking favorites is... Really difficult. I will say that I usually like it better when I can write in first-person, but I've been trying to practice third-person a lot more recently.

9. Eh. Not really.

10. I've never owned a pet, but I like dogs better.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
Master Of Chaos

More questions because being a slacker FTW.

1. Do I look like an obsessed stalker by being the only one posting here?

2. Have you ever thought of making a short AU fic where your nicest characters are secretly evil and just manipulating everyone? This has nothing to do with my theory that I got from Hodou.

3. Why have you not accepted my challenge to a death battle?

4. How in the hell did you win Gemfire with the worst families all those years ago?

5. WHY DON'T YOU PLAY BATTLE MOON WARS ALREADY IT'S NOT EVEN AN EXCUSE PLOT

6. What is the process you go through when coming up with a new character? Have you ever retconned traits from your old ones in an attempt to better them?

7. Who are your favorite units from each of the FE games, Personality-wise and Gameplay-wise?

8. Why don't you use emotes?

9. Do you plan on getting ChronoPhantasma at any point?

Whirlwind

Post by Whirlwind »

1. How do you feel about people still referring to you as the go-to person for Fire Emblem things?

2. What's your favorite flavor of ice-cream?

3. If you could go anywhere within two to three hours of where you live instantly, and with you could be three people of your choosing from anywhere in the world, where would you go and who would you be with? (This implies that whenever you the event to end, all of you could be back instantly.)

4. Story with your favorite death/death scene?

5. Story with the saddest death/death scene?

6. Story with the least impactful death of an important character? (Or, death that had the least emotional reaction from you?)

7. If you could move to anywhere you wanted to, would you? Where?

8. Do you enjoy candy?

9. Favorite candy?

10. What's your least favorite food?
GuardianDreamer

Master Of Chaos wrote:More questions because being a slacker FTW.

1. Do I look like an obsessed stalker by being the only one posting here?

2. Have you ever thought of making a short AU fic where your nicest characters are secretly evil and just manipulating everyone? This has nothing to do with my theory that I got from Hodou.

3. Why have you not accepted my challenge to a death battle?

4. How in the hell did you win Gemfire with the worst families all those years ago?

5. WHY DON'T YOU PLAY BATTLE MOON WARS ALREADY IT'S NOT EVEN AN EXCUSE PLOT

6. What is the process you go through when coming up with a new character? Have you ever retconned traits from your old ones in an attempt to better them?

7. Who are your favorite units from each of the FE games, Personality-wise and Gameplay-wise?

8. Why don't you use emotes?

9. Do you plan on getting ChronoPhantasma at any point?
1. Well, Whirl kind of fixed that problem.

2. No. To be honest, I've learned now that writing fanfiction isn't that enjoyable for me, unless it's a one-shot or something. And that idea is too complicated for me to just handle with a one-shot... Unless it was a very long one-shot. In any case, I certainly didn't think about it before.

3. Because I am very merciful.

4. I completely forgot that existed until you brought it up again. Anyway, I mostly relied on exploiting the enemy AI in battle, and making sure to convince a few people to join my side. But mostly it was exploiting the enemy AI.

5. *Plays Etrian Odyssey IV instead*

6. I think I already answered how I create a new character. Anyway, I feel like my characters do change over time, and not just as a result of character development. What will usually happen is that my character's basic traits will always be there, but a few will be less prominent in the beginning, or perhaps the opposite will happen, where they become less prominent. This is usually because I need to write for a while before I can get a good feeling for the character I'm writing as.

7. Listing them all would take too much time and effort. I will say that I prefer using units for personalities over actual usefulness, but that's just because it's more fun for me that way. Anyway, in general, in terms of gameplay I'm really fond of the Jeigan-type characters. You know, the promoted unit you have at the beginning who usually becomes less useful later on, though they vary in how less useful they become, with some still being useful even at end-game. My reason for this is mainly because Jeigan-type units are so useful for training up your other units. If nothing else, they usually start off with a decent Defense stat, so they can be good meatshields if nothing else.

In terms of personality, well, I like most dark mages. I'm also fond of the more eccentric characters, as long as they have more depth to them than just their gimmick, though I guess that's a subjective thing. I'm pretty sure everyone knows who my favorite characters from Awakening are, so I won't mention them. Hm... If you're looking for a specific name, I'd say I really like Xane (From Marth's games), for multiple reasons.

8. I don't see any reason why I should. This is just a personal preference.

9. I don't own the proper console for it, so probably not. I am hoping to play it at a friend's house, though.
Whirlwind wrote:1. How do you feel about people still referring to you as the go-to person for Fire Emblem things?

2. What's your favorite flavor of ice-cream?

3. If you could go anywhere within two to three hours of where you live instantly, and with you could be three people of your choosing from anywhere in the world, where would you go and who would you be with? (This implies that whenever you the event to end, all of you could be back instantly.)

4. Story with your favorite death/death scene?

5. Story with the saddest death/death scene?

6. Story with the least impactful death of an important character? (Or, death that had the least emotional reaction from you?)

7. If you could move to anywhere you wanted to, would you? Where?

8. Do you enjoy candy?

9. Favorite candy?

10. What's your least favorite food?
1. Kind of weird. I mean, most of the time when people ask me stuff, I just point them towards SerenesForest, which basically has info on everything FE-related ever, with only a few mistakes. So I'm not sure how to feel about it.

2. Vanilla.

3. To some abandoned mansion middle of nowhere just so everyone could jokingly go insane, then go back to normal once everything was over. I'm going to assume there's some kind of abandoned mansion nearby despite not doing any research on it. I guess I'd take Fury, Rune, and NN with me, because I'm sure it would be enjoyable to talk to them.

4. That's a tough one. I'll go with Suikoden II, though. Probably had my favorite death of a villain ever, even if the game had an awkward translation most of the time.

5. In the process of answering this question, I realized that some of the saddest scenes in fiction have nothing to do with death. Huh. Never realized that. Anyway, I'll go with Rewrite.

6. Basically any death scene that would normally be poignant, but is ruined by horrible voice acting. Honestly, it's hard to name a specific scene.

7. No. I like where I currently live, and I've had enough moving in my life. Even when I eventually probably move out of my house, I probably won't move too far away.

8. Sure, why not?

9. White chocolate.

10. Anything overly-spicy. Even if something is just somewhat spicy, it bothers me.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here