November 2013 - LunchPolice

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Tap
Spoken languages: English

November 2013 - LunchPolice

Post by Tap »

Member of the Month
October November 2013
Lind LunchPolice

It's... Quackbillion!

This is the Member of the Month; an interview that I do at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

I personally select each month's Member of the Month. People are picked based on their contributions to the community, whether they are: making excellent trials, providing comic relief or just being a brilliant person. The next Member of the Month could be you!

If you have any questions about the Member of the Month system, please PM me.
Our next member is our New Zealand comrade, LunchPolice. Alternatively known as DinnerCop and BreakfastBobby. He has an image of the Tomato-Making Pizza in his signature, which was the key to figuring our the riddle. Now, without further ado... Please enjoy this interview!
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Hello, and welcome to the forty-first Member of the Month interview.

LunchPolice: Thank you, it's an honour to be considered the 41st most important member on Ace Attorney Online.

Tap: You're welcome. ;)
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Tell us about how you found AAO, and what made you want to join.

LunchPolice: After finishing JFA (my first AA game) I was searching for an alternative to MechaBowser's authentic but incomplete case maker. As for why I joined... well I tend to join forums wily-nily but I can say I was probably most influenced to stay by how nice and welcoming the community seemed to be, especially Dypo. Dypo is a newb's best friend. Thanks for that dude, my life would probably be fairly different if I didn't stick to what ended up being my favourite internet community. :)

Tap: For those that don't know, could you tell us about your first sprites?

LunchPolice: First sprites, huh? Well, that depends on your definition of first. If that definition happens to be "first" rather than "however far back is least embarrassing for LP", then I suppose we're talking classic Sonic the Hedgehog recolours.

Yikes. I don't think I progressed all that much/at all during this period of my life but it was a simpler time. A kinder time. A far more embarrassing time, too. Nowadays I know about hue shifts and proper use of contrast and... good taste, I guess. My first sprites on AAO were olympic swimmer Payne and defense attorney Ryu. While they were amateur at best, working on custom stuff like Ryu was a good learning experience. My advice to spriters is to spend more time doing customs; even if you're not confident in your drawing ability and want to burn the final product, you'll at least get better at some fundamentals which should apply to your frankensprites. Or, you could end up like me and make pretty much exclusively custom stuff. You'll feel way cooler :P

Tap: How did your talent for spriting start?

LunchPolice: While most of my hobbies just come from wanting to mimmic an older brother, I was always much more of a spriter than good ol' Sallytheking/Joelcalibur/whatever (he's still better than me :( ). Basically I just joined this forum where everyone made sprite comics and pretty much every member had their own spriteset - although at that stage IDK if I'd call it "talent". That's where the aforementioned red sonic came from.

Tap: Are there any other sprite artists in AAO that you like or inspire you?

LunchPolice: Hmm... that's a hard one, there are tonnes of talented spriters on AAO. Rajin is an easy one, his AJ and DD lawyer sprites of Phoenix are super cool. Lind, because he can make frankens look totally original. Dypo made that real popular prosecutor sprite back in the early days of the Random Characters topic. And lastly... Dave. You're awesome man. :)

Tap: Let's not forget you also developed the sprites for Glase Canon. How did you come up with his appearance? Did BB have an image of what he'd look like, or did you go wild?

LunchPolice: Haha, I'm not sure "wild" is entirely appropriate. Let's not forget we're talking about Phoenix with Edgeworth's cravat and skull. Oh, and a little smirk. :P I don't think BB ever envisioned his characters making use of custom sprites, actually. Back then, custom sprites in trials were a bit of a rarity iirc. I just liked his case and happened to be experimenting with frankenspriting at the time so I out of the blue asked if he wanted a whole set. Since Canon is just an extreme parody of Phoenix, BB had no problem allowing such a minor edit to represent him (back then you probably wanted any differentiation you could get anyway). Seriously, I didn't even recolour the back of his hair to match the front of his hair!

Tap: And who could forget the Tomato Making Pizza... thingy.

LunchPolice: Haha, of course. It was one of the first threads I ever posted in. I don't think I could ever do the legend justice, so if you're reading this, check out the Tomato Making a Pizza thread here: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... 79#p124279. Make your own and wear the userbar with pride!
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Other than your sprites, members also know you from your various RPs. My question is, why RP?

LunchPolice: Because roleplaying is awesome (when the RP is good, anyway) and there's nothing else quite like it. It's especially awesome if you're like me and you enjoy writing characters and stories but you don't want to commit to some huge project like a trial series or a novel. You can just bring your ideas to life without worrying about the overall themes or plot structure or anything. The setting and basic plot are already in place, so you can just get started with the fun part.

There's also a lot to be said for focussing solely on a character and how that's great practice for if you DO want to leap into your own project. You might feel as if you're just writing in somebody else's story, but that's actually not the case. The other players work off of your input just as much as you do theirs. That's the beauty of it; RPing is the only medium in which you can be both writing a story and reading to see what's gonna happen next. And unlike other interactive media like video games, what can happen in an RP isn't restricted to development costs but to the imagination of the RPers involved. It's a truly dynamic experience and if you're playing in a good RP with good RPers you're gonna have a great time. I really do need to get back into it one of these days.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: The only "game" you've realised is "Phoenix and Maya play Street Fighter", along with the various previews of Random Characters quite a while ago. Do you plan on developing any other trials?

LunchPolice: I don't currently plan on it but maybe one day. A couple of my ideas were kind of upstaged by superior versions in Dual Destinies, but there's still a few up my sleeve. We'll see.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: What's your favourite fan trial on AAO?

LunchPolice: Geez it's hard to say considering I barely play them. I think I'm most attached to BB's old Raymond Hope series which he sorta threw into the furnace a while back. Maybe I should play some new age AAO trials, huh? Especially now that I've played all the games so I can't get spoiled. What are some good ones?

Tap: Aha... Now that's a tough question. I think I'll leave that to our members to judge. ^^
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Now let's talk about your personal life. What was your childhood like?

LunchPolice: Well, I was pretty socially awkward and quiet for like, the first half of it. I grew up with Thomas the Tank Engine, Dragon Ball Z, Homestar Runner and terrible Sonic the Hedgehog recolours. I spent a lot of time on the internet which has coloured a lot of my opinions and sense of humour, probably. Thankfully I ended up having an actual friend circle by the time I was like, nine. Otherwise I'd probably be some sarcastic, snarky husk of a human being. I turned out all right... right?
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: That brings me to my next question. What is your average day like?

LunchPolice: Well... let's just say my life isn't getting a film adaptation any time soon. Let's see... I attempt to get up at 7. I eat a mildly interesting breakfast cereal. I spend about an hour on the bus to school. I draw my comic series during class time, have a band practice at lunchtime, go home, check the internets, and MAYBE make a sprite or something. Then I just have to put on my various creams for my screwed up unidentified skin condition and go to bed. Oh, and get super annoyed with how badly drawn the Street Fighter poster on my wall is.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: What are your plans for the future?

LunchPolice: Uh... short-term: finish the current storyline of my comic before next year, finish my new Game Grumps animation. Long-term? Not entirely sure, to be honest. I'm not going to any kind of high-level schooling after, well, school. I don't know. I don't really mind how my life turns out as long as I'm always in a position to keep being creative and honing my skills. Maybe cultivate a successful animation channel on Youtube? I also want to put out at least one super cool respected work of fiction in my life. That would be pretty sweet.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Which is your favourite Ace Attorney game?

LunchPolice: This might be a little controversial, but Apollo Justice. PW1 screwed up too many key events in the AA continuity for it to be my favourite, though case 4 is some of the best the series has to offer. JFA is my first AA game so it's a little hard for me to judge but I'm pretty sure it's the most consistent of the original games (lacks the awesome arc-ending material of later games though). T&T is definitely the best of the originals but it also contains my least favourite case in the entire series, Recipe for Turnabout. Apollo Justice to me is a good game to introduce people to AA. It all feels polished and there's no huge dip in quality anywhere. Plus, Phoenix is a badass. DD WOULD be my favourite one but I feel they sorta dropped the ball with Phoenix's characterisation. Otherwise it's great, especially the NPCs. DD NPCs are the best in the series.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: What other games do you really like?

LunchPolice: The Super Smash Brothers series is my favourite series of all time. Mass Effect and Street Fighter are up there, and to a lesser extent Sonic and Mario. I pretty much just enjoy any fighting game or any game with a good story/atmosphere... and platformers. On the more obscure side, The Last Blade 2 is a classic. Seriously, buy it on Wii Virtual Console. So good. Looking forward to Super Mario 3D World!
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: What was the first video game you ever played?

LunchPolice: I don't remember if my first console was an N64 or a Dreamcast, because I know we got both when I was younger, so... I'm not sure. Either Mario 64 or Sonic Adventure 1.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Do you have any other interests?

LunchPolice: Outside of spriting and RPing? Sure! As you guys may already know I'm into drawing. I write a comic called... *sigh* Gollystogibop(I named it when I was younger, ok?) that I might upload one day. 2D animation is a passion of mine, too. It's a load of fun if you have the dedication. I also sing in a band called Beanie Reef, I can show you guys some footage if you want!
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Pavlova. New Zealand or Australian dessert? ...Also, have you visited Australia, neighbour[/channeling Sarah Palin!]

LunchPolice: I have to say I'm actually indifferent because pavlova is the most mediocre desert of all time. I have not visited Australia but I will in a few weeks! Perhaps we can not recognise each other while I'm there!

Tap: Indeed... :P

▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap:[/b] Before we conclude this interview, do you have anything else you'd like to say?

LunchPolice: Hmm... I guess I'd just like to say that AAO is a sweet website. This is my first and only forum where I feel like I know the regulars and don't feel like a nobody, most of you are super nice... it's a great community for sure. I hope I can get back into RPing at some point. Also I'm making a Game Grumps Animated so look forward to that. There. Now that I've announced it I can't back out :P
ImageImage
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: Member of the Month: November 2013

Post by Bad Player »

Tap wrote:
Member of the Month
October 2013
Lind
Congrats again... I guess...?
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

Damnit, BP beat me to it.

Congrats, LP. Pretty well deserved. What's your favorite TV show?
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

And lastly... Dave. You're awesome man.
<3

Congrats! Now my favorite spriter on AAO is finally up for interrogation! :V

What's your favorite color?
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Bad Player wrote:
Tap wrote:
Member of the Month
October 2013
Lind
Congrats again... I guess...?
I EARNED MY SECOND MONTH

DON'T YOU DARE TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME

TAKE MY LOVE TAKE MY LAND TAKE ME WHERE I CANNOT STAND I DON'T CARE I'M STILL FREE YOU CAN'T TAKE THE SKY FROM ME
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

LunchPolice: Haha, I'm not sure "wild" is entirely appropriate. Let's not forget we're talking about Phoenix with Edgeworth's cravat and skull. Oh, and a little smirk. :P I don't think BB ever envisioned his characters making use of custom sprites, actually. Back then, custom sprites in trials were a bit of a rarity iirc. I just liked his case and happened to be experimenting with frankenspriting at the time so I out of the blue asked if he wanted a whole set. Since Canon is just an extreme parody of Phoenix, BB had no problem allowing such a minor edit to represent him (back then you probably wanted any differentiation you could get anyway). Seriously, I didn't even recolour the back of his hair to match the front of his hair!
I can pretty much confirm this to be correct, for the record.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Mo!
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Mo! »

Congratulations! :mrgreen:
Profi-Wolf
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You deserve this one LP, it's about time!

Also glad to see im not the only guy who misses raymond hope series too, so word up on that, oh and dreamcast
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

LP this interview is about your legendary contributions and I do not see Douglas the echidna anywhere

what IS this

I want Douglas the Echidna to make pizza with a tomato to compensate for this. Now.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
LunchPolice
Spoken languages: English, Namekian, Pezazulian

Post by LunchPolice »

Wackyman wrote:Congrats, LP. Pretty well deserved.
Thanks, dude!
What's your favorite TV show?
It's a pretty tough decision, but I have to say Breaking Bad. No other show has drawn such tenseness from me. Honourable mentions are Dexter, Gravity Falls, Samurai Champloo, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Sherlock and Dragon Ball Z.
Dave wrote:What's your favorite color?
Green. Well I say it is because that's what it's always been, but is it really? Not even I can ever uncover that secret.
Mo! wrote:Congratulations! :mrgreen:
Ah, Mr. Green. A classic emoticon all round.
Proton wrote:You deserve this one LP, it's about time!
DAMN STRAIGHT
Also glad to see im not the only guy who misses raymond hope series too, so word up on that, oh and dreamcast
Yeah dude. A Shenmue reboot for Xbone or PS4 would make me strongly consider getting one of those systems. Probably Xbone.
SwagmaWampyr wrote:LP this interview is about your legendary contributions and I do not see Douglas the echidna anywhere

what IS this

I want Douglas the Echidna to make pizza with a tomato to compensate for this. Now.
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

I'm satisfied and forgive your failure to mention him.

On that note, BBQ Pepperoni pizza sounds pretty delicious.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Jim Raynor
Spoken languages: I know, you know...
Location: From Mar Sara, taking care of the Zerg infestation.

Post by Jim Raynor »

Hell, it's about time you've become the next MotM, LP. And congrats. XD

So what other video game genres do you like?

What is your most least favorite video game genre?

What do you think about the latest Soul Calibur game going F2P?

What do you think about Tekken Revolution?

What do you think about Killer Instinct and the way it is going F2P?

And finally to the last questions: What character do you think will be revealed in SSB4? Any old or new you would like to see in SSB4?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

Golden Sun 4 coming out on the Switch with Golden Sun remakes of the first two games?
Was previously Ryuusai09.
Credit to Gumpei.

Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite video game composer.
My favorite video game companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, former Rare, and former 3DO Company before it shut down.
Spoiler : Favorite characters in video games :
Starcraft: Jim Raynor, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul, Artanis, Alexi Stukov
Army Men: Sarge Hawk, Riff
Warcraft: Grommash (Grom) Hellscream, Thrall
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth (And a GK2 character which I shall not add here.)
SRT/SRW: Sanger Zonvolt, Kyosuke Nanbu, Elzam V. Branstein
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Great work, LP. Congratulations on being picked by Tap.

What is your favorite fictional weapon?

Do you plan to do more stuff on your channel featuring AAO?

Have you actually policed and lunch?
LunchPolice
Spoken languages: English, Namekian, Pezazulian

Post by LunchPolice »

Jim Raynor wrote:Hell, it's about time you've become the next MotM, LP. And congrats. XD
Thanks dude.
So what other video game genres do you like?
The genres I most consistently enjoy are Fighting and Platform. Outside of that I mostly just enjoy anything with an engaging narrative; for example I'm not usually into third person shooters but Mass Effect is one of my favourite series. I'm also a fan of unique games that don't really play like anything else i.e Ghost Trick.
What is your most least favorite video game genre?
Off the top of my head, probably the FPS. That's probably a strange answer considering I play a lot of Halo 4 with Kruiser and co, but I can't really think of any other genre that for the most part, immediately fails to engage me. Halo is an exception because it has good game feel. Most shooters I feel like I'm controlling a brick, and that's not particularly fun. I'm also not at all interested in the overall aesthetic of these games, what with the dull colour palette and gritty setting. Not saying they're bad games, just saying they're not for me. Kinda like the Elder Scrolls games.
What do you think about the latest Soul Calibur game going F2P?
*does some research*
Well, it's a slightly modified Soul Calibur V that makes you pay to play it after using up the demo hours featuring some of the classic characters from earlier games. Seems like kind of a scumbag way to take advantage of the fans, actually. You know, when they could have... not replaced the original characters with a bunch of Final Fantasy rejects to start with. Also why would you want a fighting game without local multiplayer?
What do you think about Tekken Revolution?
I think a fighting game with a stat building system that is compulsory for ranked matches is an absolutely awful idea.
What do you think about Killer Instinct and the way it is going F2P?
I think it's a great idea that enables people who aren't willing to drop a hundred bucks on a genre they haven't played before to try out the experience. And trust me, it's a good experience. Excellent value for uh, zero dollars. Also it allowed me to play the game at Kruiser's place. :P Seriously that game is beautiful and if this means more people can play it then I'm all for it.
And finally to the last questions: What character do you think will be revealed in SSB4? Any old or new you would like to see in SSB4?
You know I actually have no idea who they'll pick, especially since most of the notable Nintendo characters are used up already. I suppose I wouldn't be too surprised if Miis were to make an appearance as they seem to be making this game a representation of new Nintendo. I would like to see Little Mac and Simon Belmont to complete the classic NES cast, but the latter is just a pipe dream. Palutena from the new Kid Icarus and Tetra or Midna from Zelda would be sweet too. If only Skull Kid was playable, that would have been a great out-of-left-field choice. Also NO WALUIGI.
S.S. Sleuth wrote:Great work, LP. Congratulations on being picked by Tap.
Thanks Steven "Storm-Eye" Sleuth.
What is your favorite fictional weapon?
This probably won't be a surprise to those of you who used to RP in Crossover Central, but Soul Edge from Soulcalibur. The incarnation from Soulcalibur 1, I might add. So unique and badass... and the eye moves even when the game is paused! Eep!
Do you plan to do more stuff on your channel featuring AAO?
Hadn't really thought about it but it's on the cards I guess. I probably need to get into RPing again first because I'm not exactly with the times.
Have you actually policed lunch?
Policed? No. Stared judgementally/enviously at jazzy456's lunch, yes.
I make stuff sometimes
Image trophy x 5
MIND-FREAK
Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

Good to see you get your turn, LP. Here are some masterful questions:

If you were asked to give some wise words on life, what would you say?

Is it possible to be beyond redemption?

What story genres are your favourites?

Do you think Endless Time will one day live again?