Anime & Manga

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Re: Anime & Manga

Post by energizerspark »

I just marathoned most of GunBuster in one day

the feels

THE FEELS

it's like Interstellar all over again
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Finished Rage of Bahamut: Genesis. While I was admittedly skeptical from the start of how good it'd be, I sit now having finished a 12 episode show and feeling as though it were twice that length. And that's in a good way, mind you, the story felt like an epic and it was amazing. It sets things up in a way that makes everything make sense by the end, and everything on the journey there was a delight. The cast is great, with the main cast all having some nice chemistry and very memorable personalities (particularly Rita, who's just a delight whenever she speaks) and the dub, while having a bit of a rough start, shapes up quickly and was a blast. Ian Sinclair as Favaro, Chris Rager as Kaiser, Tia Ballard as Amira, and Apphia Yu as Rita all blew it out of the park and made their characters' personalities shine. The visuals were stunning, with great lighting and effects making up for the few moments the animation itself stumbled but with a fairly high standard throughout, with a very unique style. And god do I love that OP. Only in anime can metal perfectly fit a fantasy show. And mind you this is all supposedly based on a fairly generic card game! I think lazy marketing shows need to up their game if something like this raises the standard. So with a shockingly well thought out plot (with a hiccup or two, like why did Lucifer and Cerberus even exist in this show), an utterly delightful cast, some great presentation, and just good writing throughout, if you're looking for a great short fantasy anime, I could not recommend Rage of Bahamut enough.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

started watching re:zero
this is one of those annoying shows where every little thing becomes a conflict because nobody tells anything straight and the situation always gets misunderstood isn't it
and is the protagonist always this dumb?
on one hand this seems like this show is going to be rage-inducing but on the other hand the premise has promise and I'm interested to see where this goes so I guess I'll stick with it
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Finished The Idolm@ster and I don't think I've ever been so flabbergasted by an anime before. And I don't mean that in a negative way. The show's mostly a fun idol slice of life, spending a lot of time giving individual characters an episode to show off their stuff. Some are comedic, some have more heart. The idols are mostly fun, though some lack the strong characterization of others (Takane in particular basically gets nothing even after her episode, and Azusa and the twins' episodes, while amusing, don't really give them a ton of character to work off of). It's a fun series that, while I wasn't always super into, I rather enjoyed throughout. And then I got to episode 20 and felt like I got Madoka'd. Suddenly themes were more serious, the directing got really impressive, everything was more emotional, the show got RIDICULOUSLY sad and even dark, and I was left feeling like I had walked into a nice slice of life about singing girls and ended up riding an emotional rollercoaster at the very end. And honestly, I really dug it. The first parts are a bit hit or miss, not every character is great, it gets a cartoonish villain at one point, but all in all it's an enjoyable experience with a final act that honestly astounds me with how serious and even thought-provoking it was. I don't know yet how it sizes up next to Love Live for me, which I adored but admit it's rather comparatively simple and idealized, but I'll say this: don't let the idol thing get to you, because there's a lot of heart and effort in this one and it's worth checking out

Also, the dance scenes are entirely 2D (sans the stage) sakuga bliss.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

So instead of commenting on anything coming out this season that people care about, I'll be commenting on the LLS dub as of ep. 1, because that's just how I roll.
Spoiler : Not really a LLS spoiler but I'll put it in tags anyway :
Chika: Fantastic job as Chika. Great emoting, great delivery, great performance. Knew Jed wasn't going to let me down.

Yo/You: I think that Apphia Yu could do a good job in the part. I didn't like the voice at first, it just felt a bit too disconnected and detached, but by the end it grew on me.

Dia: I think that Morgan Garrett is good as Dia. She really did the "Serious StuCoPres" voice quite well and could effectively emote when she needed to.

Mari: She got one line so a bit hard to judge but the one line was well-delivered and Marchi is consistently good so I'm optimistic.

Ruby/Hanamaru/Yohane: Not too much to go on here. Hanamaru and Yohane got the most screen-time out of the group and they were fine, Hanamaru was passable and Morgan Berry was clearly having a great time chewing the scenery. Ruby was ok but I'll want to wait and hear more from her before passing judgment.

Kanan: Alright. She had some good moments and some weaker ones. I'll want to see an episode where she's prominent before saying more.

Riko: Honestly I didn't mind Riko at all. She was a bit rough- I think it was that she sounded a bit subdued consistently, so I couldn't FEEL the passion for piano in her voice the way Chika was supposed to. But aside from that it was a perfectly passable performance. The real test will be next week, where she'll be doing a lot more heavy-lifting.

So pretty much everyone in Aquors- ranges from "decent" to "good" or "I need to see more first". That's good. Honestly my complaint is with Monica Rial as Chika's sister. I really like Monica Rial, but like Cassandra Morris, she just does not have a voice your normal 18+ year old woman is going to have. She's really good for playing teenage girls but sounds weird outside of that, and it just is distracting when Chika's sister is clearly significantly older than Chika. Colleen Clinkenbeard as the mom (I totally forgot we actually saw Chika's mom in this ep) was fine. No real complaints.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Finished My Hero Academia. Well, "finished". The show has a confirmed season 2 in the future, and honestly it really needs it. As is, the show feels like one big prologue, just a lot of setup for a show that'll need more episodes than the average anime to tell a satisfying story at its current pace; may need to be Studio Bones' next 52-episode feature to really work. That said, it was quite enjoyable. Bones' animation never fails to impress, the broadcast dub was spot-on, the characters were all a lot of fun (I'm jumping on the Tsuyu Asuri fandom bandwagon here), and it feels like it has a ton of potential. It's basically Sky High as an anime, which like, you can't go wrong with that. It'll need some more slice of life to develop the cast and I foresee a Studio Bones classic "make it up cuz the manga's not done" ending in the future, but I'll definitely return to this show. It's definitely not done yet, but its a darn good beginning.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Bojack Horseman Season 3 continues to be really great. Aside from the hard-hitting introspection and painfully relatable dilemmas and characters, probably my favorite thing about Bojack is how it takes the bizarreness of its world and takes every opportunity to do something creative, funny, or horrifying, and sometimes all three at once. (Because no one knows chicken...) I'll often find myself busting out laughing at a stupid animal pun or a background visual gag more than the actual lines, and speaking of which, when the show is deciding not to hold up a mirror to your face and then bash it over your head, it knows how to be really damn funny. Jokes pop up and recur almost as much as an Edgar Wright film, and continuity is one of Bojack's biggest strengths, which can also be a bit confusing if you take a huge break in between seasons and forget if you've seen this character before. As for the emotional aspects, well, let's just say that Bojack is like if someone saw "Watamote", decided "this isn't NEARLY painful enough" and just cranked the whole damn thing up to eleven. Bojack's relatability, even when he's doing despicable things, is definitely the show's strongest point. Overall, can't wait for more. Would Bojack again.

Oh and Mr. Peanutbutter is best waifu
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Finished Three Leaves, Three Colors. Or Sansha Sanyou, which is easier to remember. It's been a while since I've watched such a plotless show. I watch slice of life all the time, but I haven't seen a show so devoid of concept since maybe Non Non Biyori, or heck, even Lucky Star. And that's not exactly a bad thing. I'll admit the show doesn't really have much that it does amazingly well, its characters are fun and likable (and the maid Shino Sonabe is a scene-stealing delight) but not overly complex. The episodes are funny but rather disconnected from themselves and rarely going anywhere in particular. The humor is enjoyable and got me to laugh a good amount of times but never bust my sides. The broadcast dub wasn't the best but it was good, though Tabitha Ray may be some of the best new talent I've seen from Funimation and her performance as Kayama was fantastic. The animation's the most notable aspect of it, with constant high quality character animation and crisp visuals all around, with subtle sakuga aplenty. And the OP is one of the best I've seen this year the more I watch it. But really, this is a mild series that's perfect cool-down for more intense stuff. It's underwhelming, I suppose, but I honestly really enjoyed it. It's cute and fun and funny and a good use of a few hours. I guess I'm not really selling it a ton, but it really is a fairly well-constructed simple friends-being-friends slice of life, I recommend it if you want something simple.

AAAAAAAAND, I've ALSO finished Assassination Classroom's second season. I talked about the show before and the first season was rather fun if overly cartoonish. But the second season got me a LOT more attached. It does a good job or upping stakes, of being tense, of juggling its huge ensemble cast. It addressed plots it brought up and brought most things to a close by the end. And honestly, it brought me the closest I've been to tears since Yuki Yuna. It's not perfect, the direction's still not amazing, plenty of characters are left simple, it's still cartoonishly over the top in everything, some dub performances are better than others given the amount of new talent, and I hear it cut bits from the manga that fans of that may be unhappy with. But it was a ton of fun, had a surprising amount of heart by the end, was legitimately investing, and honestly I'm just glad I stuck with it and that I'll finally be able to talk about it. Also, hey, just realized this is the very rare occurrence of me getting through a 50 episode show, woohoo. So yeah, definite recommendation, even if it isn't perfect.

NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Ok, this is going to be far too informal to be a review, but I really really didn't like Urobuchi's film Expelled from Paradise, so I'm going to make a list of everything wrong with the plot/worldbuilding here.
Spoiler : Expelled from Paradise spoilers :
1. After the attempt to hack the computer-based spaceship where 98% of humanity resides is successful, we learn that this man, Frontier Settler, has hacked the ship over 100 times. Now, given that they presumably have super-futuristic technology, you might be wondering why Deva (the name of the spaceship) have not heavily beefed up their security to keep this from continuing to happen. The film refuses to answer this.
1a. You might also be wondering exactly why people choose to STAY on this spaceship if it is so vulnerable to being hacked, even if by an incredibly skilled hacker. This is something else the film doesn't answer.
2. Now instead of having one of their best agents lead the investigation to the whole Frontier Settler deal, they decide to have a third-class agent lead the operation and an S ranked agent, already stationed on Earth and knows the place well (which Frontier Settler is believed/known to reside), to simply function as her minder. It is never entirely clear why this is the case; for a few reasons the S ranked agent- Zarik Kajiwara- is not held in high regard, but clearly his work is still respected, if he is allowed to hold such a high ranking.
2a. Exactly how the whole ranking system works is never clear. Is S a special rank in some way, or are, say, 1 and 0 higher? What is considered a "high" rank? None of this is really explained.
Three. Our main character, Angela, is supposedly an incredibly skilled hacker. One would imagine that this would mean that she would be familiar with Earth jargon and basic computer knowledge, which would logically originate from Earth. Despite this, she is completely unaware of very basic facts like that sand is not exactly tasty. (No, seriously, upon reaching Earth she tries to eat sand. I THINK this was supposed to be humorous, but it was just stupid.)
4. Angela's stupidity doesn't stop there. No, Zarik need to inform her that utilizing her mech to traverse Earth would likely draw Frontier Settler's attention. Now, I am completely aware that savant syndrome is a thing, but it is taken to such a degree here that it simply boggles the mind.
5. Now, since it has been pointed out that being in something as conspicuous as a mech would draw attention, you would THINK that Angela would change to non-conspicuous clothing to more effectively blend in. She doesn't do this. For reasons that I am completely unclear on.
6. Somehow, to make matters worse, this doesn't draw Frontier Settler's attention. Let's be clear here. This is a super-advanced hacker that has managed to hack into a spaceship over a hundred times, and somehow he doesn't have the resources (despite having robots he can deploy) to spot somebody that clearly isn't from this planet and sticks out like a sore thumb. Ok.
7. A noted aspect of Zarik's character is that he's afraid of heights, yet later we see him on top of an abandoned building stringing his guitar. It is never explained why this would be necessary or desirable for him.
8. By the end of the film, the only thing resembling a character arc Angela has is that she gains respect for the human way of living. Things that have happened to her since she arrived on Earth include: Nearly getting raped, having her mecha destroyed, and experiencing annoyances such as exhaustion and hunger. Yet somehow talking to Zarik about the nuances of their job totally changed her perspective.
9. It is explained in the film that human consciousness was transferred into data. Don't expect the movie to explain how this worked, or how it was even possible, though!
10. After Angela crashes on Earth, she fights a giant centipede monster... thing in that mech I mentioned. This would actually be a good explanation as to why humans in general left Earth and wanted to become digitized, particularly if there are other predatorial species. This is never explored.

There is more I could have put here, but honestly it isn't worth the effort. Man this is a bad movie.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Just finished Kiznaiver after perhaps my most intense binge-watch in a long time, watching the entire thing in a single night. And I quite liked it! The characters were the strongest aspect, unsurprising as their relationship is the focus. Nico and Tenga particularly steal the spotlight, but the entire cast was mostly enjoyable if a bit agitating at times (Chidori in particular fell flat for me, being way too defined by her relationship with Katsuhira). The art and animation is some of the best Trigger's put out; it's not as out-there crazy as Kill La Kill or Space Patrol Luluco, but it's lively, expressive, memorable, and actually DOESN'T look like it's made on a pocket-change budget. The opening is unique and the soundtrack is bizarre in a good way. The plot is...mixed, and can get silly or stupid at times, but it works fine for what it does. What really determines how you will likely feel about this show, though, is how you feel about the work of screenwriter Mari Okada. She did series composition for the anime version of Toradora, Anohana, Black Rock Shooter, and more, and is particularly known for making things get very melodramatic, especially near the climax, and for her overly complex love triangles/rectangles/etc.. She's controversial for good reason and I'd be lying if I said her fingerprints weren't all over Kiznaiver. The works I mentioned are among my favorite shows, but if you have an aversion to the tone those all take, you should probably avoid this. But if you're still interested, I definitely give it a recommendation.

Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

LASTMAN is a French comic series with huge inspiration from Hollywood writing and manga storytelling, and it's GREAT.
It's also an animated series in production which is *a first* in France, as it may open the way to more adult animated series, which would be fantastic.
Due to a sponspor telling goodbye, they launched a kickstarter to fund the last 12 episodes (out of 26), and there's 4 days left.
So, read Lastman. It's available in the US and it's one of the best comics I've stumbled upon in the last few years.
Also take a look at the kickstarter project, it has the potential to be really significant.

:arrow: Yay~
ImageImage Image Image Image
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

So very belatedly, I recently finished two anime, both of which were rather good but probably the weakest of their sort of sub-genres I've seen.

One was Barakamon. It was a fun show and comedy about the stresses of being an artist and about community bonds. Of course, due to its focus on a disgruntled adult and a plucky little blonde girl, it inevitably will be compared to similar shows Usagi Drop and Sweetness and Lightning. While I liked this less than those two, I did quite enjoy it for what it was. Handa was a fun protagonist and the community he found himself in was genuinely fun and caring; it did a good job of nailing that "close small town" feeling. I don't know much about calligraphy, but the themes regarding being an artist were resonant nonetheless. And it could be very funny and very cute when it wanted to be. I really liked the dub, too, though admittedly it takes a lot of getting used to hearing Alison Viktorin as a little girl and not as Conan Edogawa. So yeah, casual little fun slice of life worth looking at if that ever interests you and you've got that Usagi Drop nostalgia going.

The other was Wake Up, Girls! And yes, this is my third idol anime in the past few months. Call it a case study, if you will. WUG is an interesting counterpoint to Love Live! and Idolm@ster because rather than the school club in a thriving idol atmosphere or a group that's already gaining popularity, this group literally starts from the bottom; trashy jobs, scumbag businessmen, a no-name studio, group discourse, and barely scraping by in the industry for the majority of the show. It's very interesting to watch, though I think at least Idolm@ster should be checked out first as a good contrast to its themes. WUG is a more realistic take on things, to a degree, that I think context may be required for (also it's pretty imperative to watch the hour-long movie BEFORE the series). This all being said, where WUG is strong in themes and ideas, it does fall flat in a few places. Namely, the rival group being cartoonishly evil in contrast to the realism of most of the story, the focus on one particular idol that distracted from the rest because of her vaguely sad backstory, and the strange meta fact that despite the presentation of the idols being total amateurs, this is the idol show I've seen advertise its real-life equivalent more than any other, to the point the girls share the first names with their seiyuus (which is awkward when you literally describe one of the girls as having no talent for this and actively showing her to be a bad singer). It sets up a really interesting set-up with basically the bottom of the barrel group and is great when it focuses on them trying to strengthen their relationships with each other, but it definitely shoots itself in the foot a few times and in the end is a show I liked as a whole but find myself unable to shake its issues off.

gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

And so it begins, the Summer 2016 season shows come to a close. The first one I followed all the way through to the end just finished today.

So NEW GAME! is probably the weakest of the shows I followed this season, but somehow plenty enjoyable. I cannot deny that it's very flawed. It doesn't have much focus on developing its characters, it's far too fanservicey, and its grasp on the video game production process is shaky to say the least (the biggest complaint you'll hear is that the new hire on the character team still has to learn modeling in Maya). But...Iunno, it's got a lot of charm. Doga Kobo as a company is good at providing very characterful animation, and this show has some very expressive motion and color. Its heart is in the right place, and as much as I groan at the fanservice, I do enjoy the cast and the small bits of the game industry the show does give focus to. It's no Shirobako for video games, that's for sure, but it's cute, it's fun, and at times it's a little heartwarming. And I actually really rather enjoyed the finale. I don't know if I'd recommend binging this, it worked well on a weekly basis more than anything, but I don't think I'd call it a bad show either. It does what it wants to and does so with decent success. Give it a shot if you feel like it, really. I expected to drop this earlier, yet I kept with it longer than shows I was more excited for, so that's at least something.

Man, this was the easy one. Love Live Sunshine and Amanchu end in a week, and I don't know when Mob Psycho 100 or Sweetness and Lightning end, but this next week will basically be ripping off a lot of bandages in a row.

EDIT: SWEETNESS AND LIGHTNING ENDED TOO OH NO.

This was the show I pegged as "definitely going to be good" for the season. Like kids? Like food? Bam, Sweetness and Lightning is perfect for you. It's a simple father-daughter cooking slice of life, but it's adorable and full of heart. It's really good at making Tsumugi feel like a realistic little kid, and her father is pretty great, too. It's just adorable from start to finish, with some interesting themes on parenthood and dealing with loss thrown in for good measure.

Basically, if you ever want more Usagi Drop but don't want to deal with the fact that the rest of the manga is uncomfortable and creepy, then watch Sweetness and Lightning. It's the closest to Usagi Drop 2 we'll ever get, with Tsumugi and Rin even sharing a voice actress, and they're about as good as each other imo (albeit this being more formulaic than its predecessor). If this show looks even remotely appealing to you, I say give it a watch, it's hard to really go wrong with it.

gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

So after finishing two anime yesterday from the new season, time to rewind back to 2008 for an oldie I finished today!

Finished Bamboo Beat, and it was a lot of fun, if a bit messy in terms of story. I'm not super into sports anime, but this was a really fun one that puts enough focus on both the sport (kendo) and the cast to make it really balance out. The dub is fun with a lot of great talent you don't see in much nowadays, and I really enjoyed the show as a whole. It's an easy watch and it's just a lot of fun, it puts you into a good mood pretty easily.

The show tends to struggle with anticlimax, though. Things that are built up for episodes get resolved in a flash, and some characters barely get anything resembling their own arcs, notably Saya and Azuma, who are fun characters but get basically sidelined come the climax. It feels like the buildup is often better than the pay-off in this show, which is sad, since, as I said, it's some very fun build-up.

But that aside, I did really like this show, and if you're in the mood for something just a little sporty with a fun cast, I'd definitely give it a recommendation. Its problem with pay-off doesn't kill the show, I'd say, and in the end it's still worth a watch for sure.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

"haha 'Yuri on Ice' what a silly name. Time to make jokes about i--"

*sees PV*

"well crap now i have to watch it"