Doctor Who

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Re: Doctor Who

Post by energizerspark »

Moffat! *shakes fist angrily*
amidoingitrightyouguys
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

On the one hand, this episodes was good.

On the other hand, GOD DAMN IT NO STOP IT THIS IS A HORRIBLE IDEA A SERIES AND A HALF WAS ENOUGH PLEASE JUST LET THE CLARA TRAIN END
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Maybe now that PE's out of the picture, she won't be so bad? Amy still has her beaten for Worst Companion of NuWho though, so things could definitely be worse.

Anyway, more spoileriffic comments below...
Spoiler : :
Good night, Moffat. I don't know how you keep coming up with concepts for aliens that are utterly terrifying. Blink, and it kills you. Scared of your own shadow? You have every right to be. I get the feeling there was another alien Moffat made up, but I don't remember seeing it. Now, we have a monster that's only dangerous when you think about it? Yikes! Aside from the fact that it's next to impossible not to think about something on purpose, one could simply stumble on top of one of those things, and they'd be screwed.

Ugh, Danny's back in Clara's dream. Oddly though, I didn't find him that irritating when he was saying goodbye. I found the "mourn me for five minutes a day, then get on with your life" thing both amusing and heartwarming at the same time. Looking back, I'd say any moment between him and Clara that felt even remotely genuine was due to him moreso than her. One way chemistry, maybe? At any rate, I'm glad they aren't bringing him back for the time being (although, they'll probably find a way to bring him back to life for whenever Clara exits for real).

Wait a minute, I thought The Doctor actually met Santa Claus for real before. Referred to him as "Jeff." I know the Doctor lies, but still...

"You know what I hate about the obvious? Missing it!"
Ranking this Christmas special with the others...

The Time of the Doctor > Last Christmas => The Christmas Invasion > The Runaway Bride > A Christmas Carol = The Next Doctor => Voyage of the Damned > The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardrobe

Not ranking The End of Time, since the Christmas thing seemed more like an afterthought there.
Image Image Image
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Yeah, but with Amy, at least she never really overshadowed the Doctor. Granted, we had way too many episodes devoted to "WILL AMY AND RORY MANAGE TO STAY TOGETHER THROUGH THIS TRIAL"? Yes, of course they will. They always do. We got that the first friggin' time.

But still, 11th got to be fully realized and in focus most of the time, whereas in series 8 it felt like Clara was the main character.

EDIT: Also, The Snowmen > A Christmas Carol > Last Christmas > The Christmas Invasion > The Time of the Doctor > The Next Doctor > The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe > Voyage of the Damned > The Runaway Bride
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Dang it, I forgot about The Snowmen. That's what happens when you put the Christmas in the middle of the season.

I'll stick it between TotD and Last Christmas.

EDIT: I'll give you that Clara felt more like the main character in season 8 than the Doctor did at times, but to say Amy never really overshadowed the Doctor is a bit of a stretch. She figures out that it's completely safe to let the creature be in The Beast Below, when it's usually the Doctor who sees things like that. I didn't mind it too much at the time since it was only her second episode, but then we got Victory of the Daleks where she manages to save the robot from exploding because the Doctor conveniently forgets love is a human emotion. She isn't the one to figure things out in the Weeping Angel two-parter, but that's the episode where she tried to force herself onto the Doctor, and we subsequently get two episodes in a row devoted to getting her to chase after Rory instead. It wasn't until season 6 that the 11th Doctor actually started to become his own character instead of feeling like a replacement scrappy for 10th, and it wasn't until The God Complex that we really got to see more of Matt Smith's range in the role with The Rings of Akhaten pushing to its limits (loved that speech).

Should Clara leave after this season? Maybe, if they can't figure out how to write for her this time around, but then that would be a problem with the writing in general, so we can expect the same problem with the next companion. But now that the whole "impossible girl" thing has been explained, and we don't have her relationship with Danny Pink creating pointless tension between her and the Doctor, it's entirely possible she could become the next Donna Noble in the season to come (admittedly, that's setting the bar a bit high, but I can dream, can't I?).
Image Image Image
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

As one of my New Year's resolutions, I made my goal to make significant progress on my Classic Who DVD collection. My work so far:
Spoiler : Longish list :
An Unearthly Child
The Daleks
The Edge of Destruction
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Three Doctors
Robot
Genesis of the Daleks
The Robots of Death
The Ribos Operation
The Pirate Planet
The Stones of Blood
The Androids of Tara
The Power of Kroll
The Armageddon Factor
The Keeper of Traken
Logopolis
Castrovalva
Mawdryn Undead
Terminus
Enlightenment
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Papasbuddy 2.0

Post by Papasbuddy 2.0 »

I have a question for everyone. Can you Ranked the doctors here is my list sorry I am doing this in a hurry

13. Tom Baker
12. David Tennant
11. John Hurt
10. Patrick Troughton
09. William Hartnell
08. Peter Davison
07. Christopher Ecclestton
06. Paul McGann
05. Colin Baker
04. Sylvester McCoy
03. Peter Capaldi
02. Jon Pertwee
01. Matt Smith
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Papasbuddy 2.0 wrote:I have a question for everyone. Can you Ranked the doctors here is my list sorry I am doing this in a hurry

13. Tom Baker
12. David Tennant
11. John Hurt
10. Patrick Troughton
09. William Hartnell
08. Peter Davison
06. Paul McGann
05. Colin Baker
04. Sylvester McCoy
03. Peter Capaldi
02. Jon Pertwee
01. Matt Smith
>Tom Baker
>Last place

13. Colin Baker
12. William Hartnell
11. Paul McGann
10. Peter Davison
9. Jon Pertwee
8. John Hurt
7. Peter Capaldi
6. Matt Smith
5. David Tennant
4. Sylvester McCoy
3. Tom Baker
2. Patrick Troughton
1. Christopher Ecclestone
Papasbuddy 2.0

Post by Papasbuddy 2.0 »

Lind wrote:
Papasbuddy 2.0 wrote:I have a question for everyone. Can you Ranked the doctors here is my list sorry I am doing this in a hurry

13. Tom Baker
12. David Tennant
11. John Hurt
10. Patrick Troughton
09. William Hartnell
08. Peter Davison
06. Paul McGann
05. Colin Baker
04. Sylvester McCoy
03. Peter Capaldi
02. Jon Pertwee
01. Matt Smith
>Tom Baker
>Last place

13. Colin Baker
12. William Hartnell
11. Paul McGann
10. Peter Davison
9. Jon Pertwee
8. John Hurt
7. Peter Capaldi
6. Matt Smith
5. David Tennant
4. Sylvester McCoy
3. Tom Baker
2. Patrick Troughton
1. Christopher Ecclestone

I hated his mad man persona
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Ooh, I did this a while back on another forum before The Day of the Doctor aired...

Originally, 9th, 10th, and 11th were all tied for first place, but looking back I'm going to have to change that.

11th is now in first place (avatar should be a dead giveaway for that). Once the Ponds were gone, he really got a chance to shine. Plus, his regeneration sequence was so much less whiny than 10th's.

Second place goes to 9th. He was my first Doctor, and I like how different he was from the other incarnations. It was a shame he only got to be in one season. Some of the books they made with him were pretty good though, Winner Take All being a personal favorite.

I'm going to go ahead and put the War Doctor in third place. John Hurt did a terrific job, and it makes me wish he wasn't limited to the one movie.

8th is still in fourth place. Really glad we got to see him again in The Night of the Doctor.

10th is now in fifth place. I loved his portrayal at the time, but looking back, he was really a self-righteous jerk. Daleks evidently deserve every second chance you can throw at them, but Harriet Jones, former Prime Minister? Act in defense of your planet, and it's a sin worthy of getting kicked out of office. Plus, there were those vanity issues he had that made him loath the thought of regenerating, despite having gone through it several times before with no complaints. Still, I did like him when he wasn't acting like that, so he still gets fairly high marks.

12th is in sixth place, but it has less to do with his own flaws than it does with the fact that the season was so focused on that idiotic Clara/Danny plotline that I really didn't get much of a chance to see his full potential (11th had a similar problem with the Ponds).

The rest are mostly ranked the way they are due to me not seeing too many of the older serials...

3rd is seventh place...

2nd is eighth place... (might have been higher if there were more surviving episodes of his era, didn't get as good as a feel for him as I'd like to)

1st is ninth place...

6th is tenth place (I found his psychotic tendencies somewhat amusing)...

7th is eleventh place (for now anyway, need to see more episodes)...

5th is twelfth place (same as above, need to see more episodes)...

4th is last place, and it's not that I need more episodes, I just think he was entirely overrated, and I didn't connect with him like the other Doctors.
Image Image Image
Papasbuddy 2.0

Post by Papasbuddy 2.0 »

The only Reason I put Hurt in my list is how many stories he has
Papasbuddy 2.0

Post by Papasbuddy 2.0 »

Lind wrote:Yeah, but with Amy, at least she never really overshadowed the Doctor. Granted, we had way too many episodes devoted to "WILL AMY AND RORY MANAGE TO STAY TOGETHER THROUGH THIS TRIAL"? Yes, of course they will. They always do. We got that the first friggin' time.

But still, 11th got to be fully realized and in focus most of the time, whereas in series 8 it felt like Clara was the main character.

EDIT: Also, The Snowmen > A Christmas Carol > Last Christmas > The Christmas Invasion > The Time of the Doctor > The Next Doctor > The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe > Voyage of the Damned > The Runaway Bride
If I were to rank the Christmas special it would be form worst to best

10. The Doctor , The Widow , and The Wardrobe

9. Last Christmas

8. The Runaway Bride

7. End of Time

6. Christmas Carol

5. The Next Doctor

4. The Snowmen

3. Time of the Doctor

2. Voyage of the Damned

1. The Christmas Invasion
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

TheDoctor wrote:12th is in sixth place, but it has less to do with his own flaws than it does with the fact that the season was so focused on that idiotic Clara/Danny plotline that I really didn't get much of a chance to see his full potential (11th had a similar problem with the Ponds).
This is the exact same reason why 12th is my seventh place.

In my opinion, Matt Smith was the absolute best possible actor to play the doctor, and on performance alone, he would be my #1. Unfortunately, he was dragged down by the writers. Well-written characters are prioritized on my list, and 9th is without a doubt the best in that regard. 7th is sort of the opposite of 11th in that Sylvester McCoy was sometimes a poor actor for the part (THERE! WILL! BE! NO! BATTLE HEEEERE!), but I absolutely loved his character (UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING).

P.S: All my rankings are based solely on their onscreen performances.

P.P.S: I haven't seen that much of Peter Davison or Colin Baker, so it's possible I'm judging them unfairly.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Just had a thought about Donna's departure...
Spoiler : Journey's End :
What if the Doctor could have saved her without wiping her memories of him? Although it wasn't quite the same thing, Rose had a similar problem when she absorbed the entire time vortex, and the Doctor was able to get all of that out of her, but at the cost of one of his own lives. My question is, could the Doctor actually have pulled all that Time Lord knowledge out of her mind, but to do so would cause him to lose that version of himself? Was wiping Donna's memory really the only way to save her, or did the Doctor hold back just because he didn't want to go?
Image Image Image
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Legal double post. Anyone seen the new season yet?

I rather liked the The Magician's Apprentice two parter. Clara seems, for the most part, back to her old self, which is a plus in my book. Getting a better feel for 12th's characterization too. I like how he seems simultaneously more alien, yet more human than what I remember.

Time will tell how well this new season is written. Here's hoping it turns out fantastic.
Image Image Image