Doctor Who

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Re: Doctor Who

Post by energizerspark »

moffat what are you doing
someone please stop him
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Care to explain?
Image Image Image
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

ruining the show
turning it into his own personal fanfics
making clara literally the most op mary sue companion ever
et cetera
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

How is Clara op, exactly? How does the series seem like a fanfic?

Details, man!
Image Image Image
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

TheDoctor wrote:How is Clara op, exactly? How does the series seem like a fanfic?
"oh let's just make clara literally the most important person ever in the doctor's life
let's just kill clara's boyfriend but then have him come back for a dramatic reunion
let's just focus more on clara than THE ACTUAL DOCTOR."
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I agree, that was a major problem last season. It does seem to have been fixed a little bit this season, but we'll see.

As for Clara being the "most important person" in the Doctor's life, I'd argue that applies to whoever is currently traveling with him, unless you're referring to the copies of Clara set throughout the Doctor's life, in which case, I'd almost agree, except it was done to undo the interference caused by the multiple copies of the Great Intelligence, so it was more of a reset button than anything else and ultimately unimportant in the long run.

As for Danny Pink, his character arc was definitely one of the worst I've had to suffer through in the history of the revived series. All he was there for was to create pointless drama between the Doctor and Clara, then they killed him off at the end of the season for no reason. I ranted about this during the end of the last season, so there's a slightly revised version of the rant below.
Spoiler : Danny Pink Rant :
"Death in Heaven" was one of the only three episodes (the other two being the caretaker episode, and the Christmas episode) where I found Danny Pink likable. Specifically, when he was giving orders to the Cyberarmy. His character was really a waste though, and I'll tell you why...

In his first episode, we find that he has regrets about killing someone. Okay, they obviously can't give everything about his character away at this point, let's see where this takes us...

In "Listen," his regrets are brought up again because Clara says something stupid on their date. Really? You used that subtle character moment just to give them something to fight about? Well, we're still early on in the season, maybe it'll come up again...

"Dark Water" shows that the person he killed was an innocent boy, and his only purpose in this episode is to spur Danny towards deleting his emotions? I thought that's what Clara was for... Ugh, you people suck.

Oh wait, the kid's in "Death in Heaven..." Wait, he's only there so that Danny's only chance at coming back to life gets used up on him? Why even bother giving him that chance to begin with? We already know Danny cares more about others' lives than he does his own, that much was obvious when he performed his heroic sacrifice, so this gesture doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. So, what was the point of this "character arc?"

This is where I rant about the ending of "Death in Heaven." The Doctor and Clara split up because the Doctor lies to Clara about Gallifrey being found so she can stay with Danny and live a normal life. Clara lies about Danny being back so that the Doctor can go home to Gallifrey without her getting underfoot. In other words, they split up because both of them are too stupid and immature to tell each other the truth. And thus, it means that Danny's sole purpose in the show was to drive a wedge in-between the Doctor and Clara. i.e. Wasted character. Seriously, this is the lamest character exit I've ever seen.
Image Image Image
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

So after Face The Raven, I think we're all in agreement: Also, series 9 is easily one of the best yet. The only episode that hasn't been good so far is Sleep No More, and even that wasn't so much bad as it was simply underwhelming.

Kinda hinges on the finale, though. I'm glad they made an actual arc out of all this - it was very subtle.
Spoiler : :
Making Ashildr and Davros's story arcs intersect was an unexpectedly clever play.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Regarding Face the Raven...
The episode was really good, don't get me wrong, but I found Clara's death to be a little anticlimactic (probably because they've been beating us over the head with that concept this whole season). What with all this talk of hybrids though, I'm surprised the Doctor didn't try to turn her into a Human/Time Lord hybrid, thus still keeping "Clara" around, but not Jenna Coleman (which is probably a good thing, as the half of the fanbase that hates Clara would probably swear never to watch the show again if that happened).

That said, Clara's death needed to happen. Not because I dislike her character, but because of how it affected the Doctor. Seriously, this is what I've been waiting to see since the Season 8 trailers advertised the whole "Am I a good man?" "I... don't.. know." bit, but the darkest the Doctor got was being grumpier, less of a people person, and a bit more brutally honest, so the fury he had when he told Ashildr to stay out of his way was awesome. And now we get to see what this Doctor's like when he doesn't have his human morality pets along for the ride. Ergo, as long as they don't manage to screw it up like they did The Last of the Time Lords, this promises to be a very intriguing season finale.
Sleep No More on the other hand...
The episode was okay, although I hated the lack of a resolution. However, the sleep dust monsters are by far the dumbest monster I've seen in the history of the show. As if a lack of proper sleep could cause a buildup of sentient sleep dust in the body which eventually takes over? Give me a break. I'm okay with the Vashta Nerada, because they explained it well enough to make their existence plausible, even in a real world setting, but the sandmen were just idiotic.
Image Image Image
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

energizerspark, Sat Jul 14, 2012 wrote:I have decided to take on the ultimate Doctor Who fan quest.
I am going to get every single classic DW DVD released. Ever.
This is going to take a while.
energizerspark, Mon Feb 09, 2015 wrote:As one of my New Year's resolutions, I made my goal to make significant progress on my Classic Who DVD collection. My work so far:
Spoiler : Longish list :
An Unearthly Child
The Daleks
The Edge of Destruction
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Three Doctors
Robot
Genesis of the Daleks
The Robots of Death
The Ribos Operation
The Pirate Planet
The Stones of Blood
The Androids of Tara
The Power of Kroll
The Armageddon Factor
The Keeper of Traken
Logopolis
Castrovalva
Mawdryn Undead
Terminus
Enlightenment
Spoiler : my collection as it stands now, for comparison :
An Unearthly Child
The Daleks
The Edge of Destruction
The Dalek Invasion of Earth
The Web Planet
The Tenth Planet

The Power of the Daleks
The Macra Terror
The Faceless Ones (pre-ordered)
The Moonbase
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Enemy of the World
The Web of Fear
The Mind Robber
The Seeds of Death
The War Games

Spearhead from Space
The Ambassadors of Death
Inferno
The Daemons
Day of the Daleks
The Three Doctors
Carnival of Monsters
The Time Warrior
Death to the Daleks
Planet of the Spiders

Robot
The Ark in Space
The Sontaran Experiment
Genesis of the Daleks
Revenge of the Cybermen
Pyramids of Mars
The Seeds of Doom
The Deadly Assassin
The Robots of Death
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Horror of Fang Rock
The Invasion of Time
The Ribos Operation
The Pirate Planet
The Stones of Blood
The Androids of Tara
The Power of Kroll
The Armageddon Factor
Destiny of the Daleks
City of Death
The Keeper of Traken
Logopolis

Castrovalva
Mawdryn Undead
Terminus
Enlightenment
The Five Doctors
Resurrection of the Daleks
The Caves of Androzani

The Twin Dilemma
Attack of the Cybermen
Vengeance on Varos
The Mark of the Rani
The Two Doctors
Timelash
Revelation of the Daleks

Time and the Rani
Dragonfire
Remembrance of the Daleks
The Happiness Patrol
Silver Nemesis
Survival

The Movie

The Collection: Season 10 (The Three Doctors, Carnival of Monsters, Frontier in Space, Planet of the Daleks, The Green Death)
The Collection: Season 18 (The Leisure Hive, Meglos, State of Decay, Full Circle, Warrior's Gate, The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis)
The Collection: Season 19 (Castrovalva, Four to Doomsday, The Visitation, Kinda, Black Orchid, Earthshock, Time-Flight)
The Collection: Season 23 (The Trial of a Time Lord: The Mysterious Planet, Mindwarp, Terror of the Vervoids, The Ultimate Foe) (pre-ordered)

Series 1, 2 and 3
7 years and still not done
running out of space but I will not give up
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading: