MUSIC and music-related songs

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Holhol
Spoken languages: English

Re: MUSIC and music-related songs

Post by Holhol »

Well, on the topic of music, I've listening to this Christian Rock band a lot lately. I mean, I've listened to them a lot before, but these past few days, a lot. The band is called Superchick. Um... here are some of my favorite songs by them:

Courage - My personal favorite.
We Live - Even though it's a sad song, I like the upbeat tune. I like it a lot.
Stand in the Rain - A song that's been stuck in my head forever. :P
Beauty From Pain - Very sad, but awesome.
Crawl - Same as Beauty From Pain
Hold - It starts out slow, but it ends up going fast.
Hero - Amazing meaning.
Wishes - It's alright, I suppose. Certainly not my favorite, but it's growing on me.
One Girl Revolution - Probably my favorite "peppy" song by Superchick.
Breathe - It's breath taking (no pun intended).
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
Powerdrone

Post by Powerdrone »

Music = Life

My favorite artists at the moment and my favorite songs by them (It'll be beyond hard to choose just one favorite song...)

I feel that music is a great way to connect with other people. I suppose I'm a kind of quirky person, which could be why my taste in music is so wide and filled with some, perhaps, "unusual" songs. You can check out my last.fm profile if you want! My username is Powerdrone311.

Also I listen to lots of British music. B)

Top favorites and things I've been listening to recently in bold.

Artist - Favorite Song - My attempt at giving them a genre~

Little Boots - New In Town - Pop
La Roux - Bulletproof - Pop/Synthpop
The Good Natured - Wolves - Pop/Electronic
Winter Gloves - Let Me Drive - Electronic
Alphabeat - 10,000 Nights - Pop
Daft Punk - Short Circuit - Electronic (House)
deadmau5 - Ghosts 'n' Stuff - Electronic (House)
Justice - DVNO - Electronic (House) (If you like techno, you'll like Justice. Basically.)
Ladyhawke - Another Runaway - Pop
The Hoosiers - Choices - Pop
Marina & the Diamonds - I Am Not A Robot - Pop
Lily Allen - The Fear - Pop
Franz Ferdinand - The Dark of the Matinee - Alternative
Boy Kill Boy - A Ok - Alternative
Metric - Satellite Mind - Alternative
Neon Trees - Animal - Alternative
Florence + the Machine - Howl - Alternative Pop
Alexander Rybak - Fairytale - Folk Pop
Coeur de Pirate - Comme des Enfants - Folk
Asobi Seksu - Transparence - Indie/Shoegaze
Charlene Kaye - Skin and Bones (feat. Darren Criss) - Awesome (Not sure how to describe it... Alternative maybe?)
Darren Criss - The Muse - Acoustic
Freelance Whales - Kilojoules - Rock/Pop (or something like that... they're awesome though, check them out!)
Kasabian - Where Did All The Love Go? - Rock
Nirvana - Serve the Servants - Grunge
Platinum Blonde - Doesn't Really Matter - 80's Pop (New Wave? idk, they're awesome lol)
Slow Club - It Doesn't Always Have To Be Beautiful - Singer/Songwriter
Tegan and Sara - Alligator - Indie
Charlie McDonnell - Bread - PURE AWESOME

Ummmm yeah, I think that's about it. I recommend ALL of the things in this list, but the ones in bold are ESPECIALLY awesome! :P
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

...MLK, I'm pretty sure it's a spambot.

I'll post a list later: I gotta go now.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

I think it's funny that popular music in England/the UK tends to become hipster music in America.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Chloe
Spoken languages: English & bits of French and spannish

Post by Chloe »

What are you listening to? Tender Tip Of The Earth
Spoiler : Top 10 bands and honourable mentions :
10) Kaiser Chiefs (Indie Pop/rock)
First song heard: I Predict A Riot
Made me fall in love: I Predict A Riot
Fave song: Saturday Night
Fave album: Employment

I liked the wild side to their music. I played their first album on CD all the time in summer 2006. I liked the other two albums, but I think their debut will always be the best one. Ricky's voice is a bit average at best, but everything seems to work for me. Despite the lyrics not being very breath-taking or amazing, I do find a lot of it though provoking with hints of blunt honesty. They're an odd group, which is why I love them.

9) Placebo (Alternative Rock)
First song heard: My Sweet Prince
Made me fall in love: My Sweet Prince
Fave song: My Sweet Prince
Fave album: Without You I'm Nothing

Discovered the band by accident in 2005 while watching fan-made music videos. The original video I found that introduced to the song has been removed for copy-right reasons, but My Sweet Prince still remains a haunting and blunt ballad to me. I love the eeriness in Brian Meko's vocals and how it blends with the deep lyrics. In the progress of saving money up so I can get all the albums on CD.

8) Garbage (Alternative Rock)
First song heard: The World Is Not Enough
Made me fall in love: #1 Crush
Fave song: #1 Crush
Fave album: Undecided on this one.

I love the grungy tone in Shirley's vocals and her deep tone makes her stand out from the crowd. They've been consistently great with a lot of thought provoking songs that end up being dark and beautiful at the same time. When I heard they were recently working on a new album, I was pleasantly surprised.

7) Evanescence (Alternative/Gothic/Symphonic Rock)
First song heard: Bring Me To Life
Made me fall in love: Going Under
Fave song: Haunted
Fave album: The Open Door

Some very deep and sometimes depressing music, but for some reason it makes me happy. Amy Lee's vocals pleased me beyond expectations in The Open Door, especially in The Weight Of The World. One band I would definitely would love to see live.

6) The Sins Of Thy Beloved (Gothic Metal)
First song heard: My Love.
Made me fall in love: Until The Dark
Fave song: Forever
Fave album: Perpetual Desolation

Favourite music discovery of 2010 for me. Very dark and beautiful. It's a shame they haven't done anything new in over ten years. I like the mellow tone in Anita's voice and the violins made their music stand out even more. I saw some clips from their live concert recorded on video and I think they sound much better live than on the studio versions. I really want to own the live CD and video but they're a very rare items because they were poorly distributed.

5) Destiny's Child (R&B)
First song heard: With Me
Made me fall in love: Survivor
Fave song: Bills, Bills, Bills
Fave album: The Writing's On The Wall

Very upbeat and satisfying music. I like the attitude thrown in with their songs. The Writing's On The Wall was one of my saviours at college last year and one of the few albums I ended up buying twice. Their debut is really underrated in my opinion and I think they make fantastic single choices.

4) Nightwish (Symphonic Metal)
First song heard: Walking In The Air
Made me fall in love: Phantom Of The Opera
Fave song: While Your Lips Are Still Red
Fave album: Dark Passion Play

Nightwish have made a huge impact on me. Their cover of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom Of The Opera", brought me into the fanbase of The Phantom Of The Opera. It made me buy the movie, soundtrack, see it in theatre and made me love Sarah Brightman. Tuomas is very imaginative when it comes to song writing and I like his arrangements. My favourite album with the first lead singer, Tarja is Oceanborn, while my favourite overall is Dark Passion Play. They keep on improving and continue to get stronger as a band. They've made many risks in their career, but I think every one of them worked.

3) Within Temptation (Gothic/Celtic/Symphonic Rock/Metal/Pop)
First song heard: Angels
Made me fall in love: Memories
Fave song: The Dance
Fave album: Enter/The Dance/ Mother Earth/The Silent Force/The Heart Of Everything/The Unforgiving/Black Symphony

Despite a lot of gradual reinventions of themselves, I think all of their albums have been consistently good. I like how each album sounds very different to the other while having a special trademark in Sharon's voice. They're one of the most diverse bands around.

2) Depeche Mode (Synthpop/ New Wave/Electronic)
First song heard: Just Can't Get Enough
Made me fall in love: Only When I Lose Myself
Fave song: Dressed In Black
Fave album: Black Celebration/Violator

Simply beautiful. A lot of their music sounds very experimental and I feel like I'm in another world when I'm listening to their music. Black Celebration and Violator in my opinion ticks all the boxes of how I would describe a perfect album because I love their dark atmosphere in the music.

1) Sugababes (Pop)
First song heard: Overload
Made me fall in love: Overload
Fave song: Stronger
Fave album: Three

Favourite band for a long time. I've always found their glaring line-up changes very interesting while still constantly enjoying their music. They've long past their peak and currently into a very black era. A lot of people think this black era of the Sugababes began when Keisha left, but I think it started since Mutya left because they lost a lot of originality with Mutya. I still love all the line ups and albums though. I've made lots of memories with this group's music.

Honourable mentions:
Muse, Spice Girls, T.a.T.u., Eths, Arch Enemy, Tristania, Therion, Iron Maiden, Flyleaf, Kamelot, Atomic Kitten, Eternal, Busted, Fightstar, Take That, Epica, Alestorm, Nirvana, The Beatles, Leaves' Eyes, Mindless Self Indulgence, Queen, TLC, The Veronicas, Levellers, Metallica, Gorillaz and Kamelot.
Spoiler : Top 10 solo singers and honourable mentions :
The following are my top 10 favourite solo artists with a bunch of honourable mentions at the bottom. These 10 singers that I've chosen to be in my top ten are ones whose music I feel that I have grown up with as well as thoses whose songs have touched my heart. A lot of their music gives me a lot of good memories. This has a very simular format to my top 10 bands review that I wrote not so long before this review. So without further ado here are my top ten solo artists.

1)Seal
Genre: Soul, Pop and R&B
Favourite Album: Human Beings
First song heard: Crazy
Song that made me fall in love: Kiss From A Rose
Favourite song: Kiss From A Rose

Well known for being soulful with beautiful songs. I love the deep tone in his voice and the passion and emotion that come out through his voice works wonders. Kiss From A Rose is my favourite song, but he's also got a lot of other great tracks as well.

2)Christina Aguilera
Genre: Pop with R&B, rock, jazz, hip-hop, dance and electronica influences
Favourite Album: Stripped
First Song Heard: Genie In A Bottle
Song that made me fall in love: What A Girl Wants
Favourite Song: Fighter

Sometimes she can go over the top and overdo things, but Christina is still one of the best for me. Stripped is my favourite album from her because of the variety of styles she worked in for that album. She has a strong vocal range, and when she does it right it comes off as very raw and beautiful. Not only do I like her voice, but I like how each of her albums have a different theme.

3) Siobhan Donaghy
Genre: Alternitive Pop with trip hop and indie influences
Favourite Album: Ghosts & Revolution in Me
First song heard: Overrated
Song that made me fall in love: Overrated
Favourite song: Ghosts

Known for being the first person to leave the Sugababes, she has two brilliant solo albums under her name. They may not be commercially successful and there are a lot of people who believe she should have charted a lot higher. She maintains the moodyness that people seemed to admire in the original sugababes in Revolution In Me while developing to be her own classy lady and giving her own special trademark in her second album, Ghost. Her vocals are very soft but can also show a strong egde.

4) Lady Gaga
Genre: Pop
Favourite Album: Red and Blue - EP
First Song Heard: Just Dance
Song that made me fall in love: Just Dance
Favourite Song:Love Game

Quickly standing out with astonishing fashion crazes and catchy dance tunes with strong influences from Madonna, Grace Jones, Björk, Kate Bush and David Bowie. She's a quirky soul, but I love her more for her personality than for her music. I think her old EP, Red And Blue is one of her best works to date because it's got a nice raw tone I like which is what sometimes her mainstream work can often lack.

5)Tarja
Genre: Classical/Symphonic Metal
Favourite Album: What Lies Beneath
First Song Heard: I Walk Alone
Song that made me fall in love: Die Alive
Favourite Song:Rivers of Lust

Former lead singer of Nightwish stuck to her symphonic metal roots with My Winter Storm and What Lies Beneath. Her voice has constantly improved since leaving the group and her classical singing is much more crisp. The emotion she portays in her voice is brilliant and her personality on stage is sweet and humble.

6)Luciano Pavarotti
Genre: Classical
Favourite Album: Tutto Pavarotti
First Song Heard: Nessun Dorma
Song that made me fall in love: Nessun Dorma
Favourite Song: Nessun Dorma

A very iconic opera singer. As well as the passion and power in his specactular voice, I think it's his smile that does it for me.

7) Kelis
Genre: R&B
Favourite Album: Tasty
First Song Heard: Milkshake
Song that made me fall in love: Caught Out There
Favourite Song:Keep It Down
At times her voice is sweet and toneful, at others sharp and dynamic. Her music is very bipolar, but enjoyable. Her earlier songs had very strong R&B roots and in her recent album, Flesh Tone she moves towards a dance and electronica route.

8)Klaus Nomi
Genre: New Wave
Favourite Album: Klaus Nomi
First Song Heard: Keys of Life
Song that made me fall in love: Wasting My Time
Favourite Song:The Cold Song

A very creative countertenor from Germany. I've only listened to his self titled debut, but I am planning on getting his other albums. I love his unique experimental approach to music, particually his blend of pop, rock, classical, new wave and theatrical music. Definatly ahead of his time.

9)"Weird Al" Yankovic
Genre: Comedy
Favourite Album: Even Worse
First Song Heard: Fat
Song that made me fall in love: Fat
Favourite Song:Amish Paradise

"Weird Al" Yankovic is best known for making parodies of well known hits, but he also writes some of his own original songs that are sometimes in the style of anouther group or artist. He's a very clever artist and almost everytime his parodies and original songs work well. What makes the songs even funnier for me is that he has a decent voice. He featured on an old music program thing titled "Top 40 worst artists ever", I can't remember where it was from, but all I can say that I have been a fan of him ever since.

10)Michael Jackson
Genre: Pop, Dance and R&B
Favourite Album: History
First Song Heard: Billie Jean
Song that made me fall in love: Billie Jean and Thriller
Favourite Song:Earth Song

Widely known to many as The King Of Pop and the most successful entertainer of all time. His influence can be seen across many aspiring and established dance and music acts today and many more to come. His music was creative, bold and daring.

Sone honourable mentions go to Dave Gahan, James Blunt, Britney Spears, Ashley Breathe, Mariah Carey, Ashley Tisdale, Kate Bush, Koda Kumi, Hannah Fury, Beyoncé, Céline Dion, Shaggy, Gwen Stefani, Mutya Buena, Delta Goodrem, Peaches, Madonna, Avril Lavigne, Rhydian Roberts, Nelly Furtado, Emilie Autumn, Nicki Minaj, Tom Jones, Hilary Duff, Brandy, Lily Allen, Enya, Tracy Chapman, Jennifer Lopez, Gareth Gates, Björk, Darren Hayes, Kou Shibasaki, Elton John, Adele, Sarah Brightman, Amy Winehouse, Beth Ditto, Ozzy Osbourne and Louis Armstrong.
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

The opening of Haruhi Suzumiya is just epic! :calisto: It's probably my favorite song right now...
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
Manila

Post by Manila »

I'll probably get a lot of hell for this, but right now I'm listening to Taylor Swift. See, I'm a fan of country and pop music. Ms. Swift sings country-pop.

I won't post videos or links to any of her songs, because I'm pretty sure you all know her and have heard least one of her songs (Love Story, You Belong With Me, perhaps?). And I really don't want to have to force her down anyone's throats (or rather, ears) for anyone who doesn't like her.

But...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPz3YaIJkjQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HhcYEuFXXQ

Those are two songs by a lesser known, yet still a wonderful singer and songwriter by the name of Anna Nalick. I'd love it if you guys at least tried it out. <3 Her lyrics are surprisingly deep, simply put.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Reyson

Post by Reyson »

Matisyahu is the greatest.
Rey Rey the Jet Plane
EleventhSpade

Post by EleventhSpade »

What are you listening to? Currently, the album City of Evil by Avenged Sevenfold.
What are your favorite bands? Rise Against, Shinedown, Muse, Avenged Sevenfold to name a few. Also VGM, lots and lots of VGM.
What would you recommend to your fellow posters? If you've never heard any Rise Against, do so now.
Know of any obscure bands you want to show others? Hm...the only one I can really think of is Them Crooked Vultures. (Specifically, No-one Loves Me and Neither Do I and Gunman.)
Composing your own music, and want to share it with others? I've been playing around with Garageband lately, but I haven't gotten anywhere yet.
Godot Mango
Spoken languages: English, some german

Post by Godot Mango »

What are you listening to? Cheeseburger. (Yes, that's the name of the band XD)

What are your favorite bands? Elena Seigman.

What would you recommend to your fellow posters? Nothing really.

Know of any obscure bands you want to show others? Glukoza Nostra.

Composing your own music, and want to share it with others? No, and no.