My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Post by energizerspark »

TKinhonipei wrote:Anyone else watching the japanese dub of this on Daily Motion entitled, 'Tomodachi wa Mahou'? I am, It's pretty legit. :)
Subbed or do you need to know Japanese?
EDIT: Never mind, I checked it out for myself. Pretty cool, although they changed the theme song to one of those generic anime love songs.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

LEGAL DOUBLE POST
So my brain has started autocorrecting "everybody" to "everypony". I'm not sure how I should feel about this.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
TKinhonipei
Spoken languages: asdfjkl;

Post by TKinhonipei »

I have a Chrome extension named Ponify that changes many specific words to pony words. I love it. :D

nobody -> nopony
the heck -> the hay
god -> Celestia
troll -> parasprite
money -> bits

and much more :D
Gumpei is so awesome for being everything that I've always wished for. <3
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

Holhol is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.
Ami

Post by Ami »

TKinhonipei wrote:I have a Chrome extension named Ponify that changes many specific words to pony words. I love it. :D

nobody -> nopony
the heck -> the hay
god -> Celestia
troll -> parasprite
money -> bits

and much more :D
Reminds me of this Swedish Chef add-on for Mozilla. Everything was translated into Swedish Chef, with healthy doses of sentences punctuated with bork bork bork.
since 2008!
Smithee

Post by Smithee »

Would you believe there's actually a crossover fanfic starring Albert Wesker from Resident Evil?

He and Rainbow Dash......don't quite get along; even worse with Gilda.
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Ladies and gentlemen, the official trailer for Equestria Girls.
Honestly, I'm willing to give this a chance. What about you guys?
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

(I want to give this a chance but...why?! This is something a fanfic writer would make, not something released in the movie theaters. ;_;)
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

TKinhonipei
Spoken languages: asdfjkl;

Post by TKinhonipei »

As much as I love this series, I couldn't help but feeling disgusted during and after seeing the trailer... Me and my girlfriend both. D:
Gumpei is so awesome for being everything that I've always wished for. <3
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

Holhol is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BBblader© wrote:The strongest bonds you can make are the ones you aren't looking for, the ones that surprise you. I'm speaking from experience, so I believe in that pretty strongly. Think that's why so many relationships fail, because people wind up forcing themselves to find good in the other person, play up who they are to appear more attractive to them... but well... real love is being yourself, with someone who cares about you and accepts you for who you are.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

I think that's probably the most underwhelming trailer I've ever seen. I expected to either be borderline-offended or perhaps hesitantly excited, but I felt nothing while watching it.

I wouldn't even call it a fanfic idea turned into a movie, as the concept is fairly standard when it comes to animated films/shows for children. All I could think about was how fitting it was for "Friendship is Magic" to not actually be part of the title, because it honestly seems like a TV movie from an older MLP generation...
Ami

Post by Ami »

Gumpei wrote:I think that's probably the most underwhelming trailer I've ever seen. I expected to either be borderline-offended or perhaps hesitantly excited, but I felt nothing while watching it.

I wouldn't even call it a fanfic idea turned into a movie, as the concept is fairly standard when it comes to animated films/shows for children. All I could think about was how fitting it was for "Friendship is Magic" to not actually be part of the title, because it honestly seems like a TV movie from an older MLP generation...
Something about this just doesn't seem right. It seems... formulaic, it seems like the exact stuff Lauren Faust tried to move away from with MLP:FiM. It's...

Okay, so we usually have an obvious bad guy, but then there's a love interest? A LOVE INTEREST!? The mane 6 are not to have any relationships beyond friendships, as what helps keep it a part from the other saccharine, sexist, condescending shows "for girls" out there.

EDIT: Also, if the entirety of the mane six plus Spike, DJ PON-3, and what appears to be Applebloom and Scootaloo come through the portal, wouldn't anyone notice a rather large occurrence of people who seem out-of-place in an alternative universe? This needs some help from a writer, an editor, heck, maybe even a
DOCTOR WHOOVES: A doctor?
since 2008!
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

watching the trailer again, it doesn't look like anyone but Twilight goes through the portal. She just HAPPENS to run into people who just HAPPEN to resemble the rest of the group and side characters. Because that's realistic... yeah... somehow...

Also noooooo. I'm sorry for the pun, but where is the high horse coming from? Friendship is Magic might have good dialogue, cute art, and be surprisingly entertaining, but the episode plots have never NOT been formulaic. The entire series is formulaic. Part of the reason it was such a big deal is because it SHOWED that the formula isn't as much of a limitation for most kids shows as lazy writing and corporate pandering.

Look. I'll be the first to defend the less horrible half of FiM fans, and I enjoy the show plenty myself, but when all is said and done it's still a kids show, and though it sheds many of the trappings that entails, it holds on to several by necessity. Let's not pretend that the show ever WAS a paragon of "children's TV for adults." And let's not pretend that this entire movie wasn't practically the fandom's idea to begin with, either. Why's it always okay when fans do it, but once Hasbro or the writers steps in it's all OH NO THEY'RE RUINING IT WITH THEIR MONEY AND STUFF?

I mean I'm not EXCITED about this. I don't see any reason to be. It doesn't look so great. But if you had watched a commercial for MLP:FiM before you had gotten into the show, do you SERIOUSLY think you'd be able to see what all the fuss was about? Seriously? Like this one? How about these?

I'm not saying to go see it. God no. The young girls that it's made for will do that. Just stop running around like it's some kind of atrocious betrayal. It's just a movie based on a show based on a toy line, in the end. It might be a GOOD show, and you might like it, but let's be honest: there's nothing sacred here to ruin.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Hodou Okappa wrote:watching the trailer again, it doesn't look like anyone but Twilight goes through the portal. She just HAPPENS to run into people who just HAPPEN to resemble the rest of the group and side characters. Because that's realistic... yeah... somehow...

Also noooooo. I'm sorry for the pun, but where is the high horse coming from? Friendship is Magic might have good dialogue, cute art, and be surprisingly entertaining, but the episode plots have never NOT been formulaic. The entire series is formulaic. Part of the reason it was such a big deal is because it SHOWED that the formula isn't as much of a limitation for most kids shows as lazy writing and corporate pandering.

Look. I'll be the first to defend the less horrible half of FiM fans, and I enjoy the show plenty myself, but when all is said and done it's still a kids show, and though it sheds many of the trappings that entails, it holds on to several by necessity. Let's not pretend that the show ever WAS a paragon of "children's TV for adults." And let's not pretend that this entire movie wasn't practically the fandom's idea to begin with, either. Why's it always okay when fans do it, but once Hasbro or the writers steps in it's all OH NO THEY'RE RUINING IT WITH THEIR MONEY AND STUFF?

I mean I'm not EXCITED about this. I don't see any reason to be. It doesn't look so great. But if you had watched a commercial for MLP:FiM before you had gotten into the show, do you SERIOUSLY think you'd be able to see what all the fuss was about? Seriously? Like this one? How about these?

I'm not saying to go see it. God no. The young girls that it's made for will do that. Just stop running around like it's some kind of atrocious betrayal. It's just a movie based on a show based on a toy line, in the end. It might be a GOOD show, and you might like it, but let's be honest: there's nothing sacred here to ruin.
This.
Also, http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/05/a ... -trot.html
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
Wooper
Spoken languages: English, un peu de français

Post by Wooper »

Am I the only one who actually remembers all the pre-Canterlot Wedding advertisement? They put it out to look like a standard and "formulatic" girly wedding drama that quite frankly I had no desire to watch. Just look how that turned out. I have faith that the show's writers will blow our minds yet again.
† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
I love My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic and I'm proud of it! Paste this into your sig if you are too!
Currently Playing:
Starting Umineko
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

I just enjoy the hypocrisy.
>"Love and Tolerate, you guys!"
>"OMG I'M LEAVING THE FANDOM EG IS GONNA KILL THE SHOW! I HATE THE WRITERS!"
The trouble is, bronies have got selfish. They think that, since Hasbro has acknowledged them, they are now the core demographic and thus everything invloved in the show revolves around them.
I miss when we were just a bunch of guys who liked a show about ponies...
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

Y'know, I've never met a single brony who has taken the creed of "love and tolerate" seriously.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.