The Geno Times (Issue # 2) UPDATES ON SATURDAYS

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Ami
Spoken languages: English

The Geno Times (Issue # 2) UPDATES ON SATURDAYS

Post by Ami »

Welcome, all! This is just a little something I thought up. There are gonna be three (there could be more later) sections of this thing:
- Letters to Geno: You send Geno a letter, I respond to it in a jovial manner.
- Funnies: I write a short script for a webcomic, since I have no ability to draw.
- Editorials: I provoke your thoughts.

STAFF:
Head Editor: Genodragon1
Artists: Shadowsletuh, Trufseeker (FEEL FREE TO JOIN THE ARTIST ARMY~)

Responses, suggestions, and questions are highly encouraged, as this is very reliant on public participation.

* * * < - - - Separates sections
- - - < - - - Separates funnies

Letters to Geno:
Send in your PM's, and title it "Letters to Geno", so I recognize it as something separate than a serious conversation. <3

Funnies:
Godot: Hello, boys. Look at yourself. Now back to me. Now back at yourself. Now back to me. Sadly, you're not me. But if you stop using lady-like frilly cravats, and started wearing a manly vest, he could somewhat resemble me and my prosecutor godliness. Look down. Back up. Where are you? You're on a boat like the man that you could be prosecuting like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's an oyster with two cups of the finest coffee beans. Look again. Now it's even MORE coffee beans. Anything is possible when you wear awesome vests like me, and not look like a lady. I'm on a velociraptor.
- - - -
[Link to the Past, Link is in the Death Mountain cave. Comes across the Old Man. He has a creepy look on his face]
Old Man: Hey, kid, you look real sexy- I mean trustworthy. Why not let me follow closely behind you in this dark cave?
Link: ^_^;;
Old Man: That looks like a yes to me. Let's go!
[The come across a jar.]
Old Man: There's a heart in there.
Link: o-O;;
Old Man: I just know, alright? What's with the third degree? NOW TAKE THE DAMN HEART.
[Comes across another cave entrance.]
Old Man: Hey, why don't you come in to my place?
Link: o___o [Runs.]
- - - -
A regular person's logic in Silent Hill 3:
Heather: Oh crap, a deity is attacking me! I need to find another deus ex machina to help me out!
Kamina's logic in Silent Hill 3:
Heather: Oh crap, a deity is attacking me! BEAT IT WITH A RUSTY PIPE!

Editorial: Pet Dumb

There needs to be a point of emotional resonance with the audience. We need to make them feel happiness or sadness or tension, but we don't want to work particularly hard. I KNOW! ADD A CUTE ANIMAL! Ugh. I don't know about you guys, but I'm very tired of animals being used as cheap emotional fuel. I recently got done watching all 26 episodes of Hell Girl, and animals are used often as cheap drama. In one episode, the same ploy is used THREE TIMES IN A ROW. Rather than becoming numb to it, like a normal person, viewing the death of a pet always sends me straight to my puppy Roxy to give her some extra petting and playing time. This doesn't apply to all things, however. The climactic scene of Old Yeller was something that made sense in the context of the show, and was handled with maturity by the writers.

In closing, pro tip: cheap emotional responses does not a good show or movie make.

... Though I did like Hell Girl, that was an awesome anime.
since 2008!
deHughes

Re: The Geno Times (Issue # 1)

Post by deHughes »

Looks like it could be quite a good read. I'd volunteer for the art position, but I just need to check a few things with my schedule first. Also, how often would these come out? Weekly, biweekly?
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Trufseeker wrote:Looks like it could be quite a good read. I'd volunteer for the art position, but I just need to check a few things with my schedule first. Also, how often would these come out? Weekly, biweekly?
If you're applying for artist, that'd be cool! As for when these come out, I can adjust to a weekly or bi-weekly schedule. sure. It'll give me time to dig into my archives to find comedy bits that are funny. Also, could you PM me some samples of your drawing ability? You're pretty much a shoe-in for the position (as no one else has shown interest yet), but it helps me to know my artist a little bit.
since 2008!
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

I love the Godot one. And the ALttP one. They're great. I really don't think the Godot one needs visuals- it's great on its own.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

We're signing up for things? I thought Geno was just trying to prove to me that his sense of humor hasn't disappeared, as I jokingly insinuated earlier, but that it had simply taken a backseat to his duties I thought this was mostly a Geno thing. But if there are sign-ups for something, then I never pass up a chance to force others to read me, yknow? What exactly is there to do?
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Well, the only position that's truly open is for artists, but... if you feel like you could contribute an article that is different than the ones above, PM me your ideas, and we'll see where it goes.
since 2008!
Sissel
Spoken languages: English, Dead thoughts
Location: Could be hiding inside your phone, listening to your conversation with your mum

Post by Sissel »

As much as I might seem hostile to you, Geno, I'd be quite intrested on reading this when you've done it.
Made by me, anyone can use it, if they wish
Huddini

Wishing that you'll get better soon, Parrie!
I SUPPORT PARRIE AS A SQUADMATE IN ME3
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Re: The Geno Times (Issue # 1) UPDATES ON SATURDAYS

Post by Mimi »

I got all of the references made. :awesome:
Ami

Re: The Geno Times (Issue # 2) UPDATES ON SATURDAYS

Post by Ami »

* * * * * ISSUE # 2 (4/23/2011) * * * * *

Legend/Table of Contents:
* * * < - - - Separates sections
- - - < - - - Separates funnies

Letters to Geno: [LTG]
Funnies: [FUN]
Editorials: [EDI]

[LTG]
Letters to Geno:
LilGav wrote:Dear Genodragon1,
Hi, Geno! Let me start this section with a few simple questions...
1. Is your favorite color pink?
2. Do you like Doctor Who?
3. What's your favorite game other than PW?
Fondly,
LilGav
A few simple questions. Right. Okay, let's get this over with.
1.) YES. But Rose Pink, that's my favorite. It's not too flashy, yet says "sensual" and "fun".
2.) I'm avoiding saying "I'll tell you when you tell me the doctor's name. Everyone breathe easy. Doctor Who? Talk about "something nerdy this way comes"... I can't say whether or not I like it, I've got a bunch of episodes in my instant queue of both old and new episodes, but I've not gotten around to watching them. Of course, then again, I have a life. Okay, that last part was a lie. I don't.
3.) I can't really say what's my favorite game. I like RPG's a lot, among a few other genres. I can tell you what I DON'T like. For one, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, aka "Destroyer of Friendships". If you and a group of friends are somehow not annoyed by this game, congratulations, you have stopped existing because people like that don't exist. I also HATE Siren. It's a Silent Hill ripoff with horrible English dubbing. The worst part is the mechanics of the game itself. It has an interesting idea with how you're able to see through your enemy's eyes and use that to your advantage, except that it barely works. Half the time, your enemy is so far away, you can't tell where you are. But good news! The enemy can always tell where you are. I remember an early level where you are coming out of a tunnel and come straight into a bottleneck for enemy snipers to relentlessly ping to death (which you are unable to shoot back due to the heavy fog and massive distance). The fact that I ran around like a mad man and somehow made it to the end of that stage without using any of the game's intended tactics is just another testament to how lousy the game is. GRAAAHHH.

So that's the answer to your questions. Now run and catch your note's signature, it's running off without you. Until next time, keep sending me your letters~

[FUN]
Funnies:
Art by Shadowsleuth, Writing by genodragon1
RIDING YOSHI..........................................................RIDING RAPIDASH.

[EDI]

Editorial: PC Games

I love video games of all kinds. I even owned some PC games as a kid (Sleeker versions of Math Blaster and Word Muncher, Oregon Trail, Guild Wars, Portal). I won't deny that there aren't a lot of good games for one's computer, as I have to pass them up regularly. The problem is such: the system for these games is very unstable. Not in that it can't support the latest game, it's that you have to have the shiniest OS and hardware to be able to play half of them without chugging relentlessly. The worst part is that you can't even play a lot of old games without an emulator, and those that aren't tech savvy (like me) don't know how the hell DOSBox works! It comes with no instructions, no way of helping you out.

This is even the case with online games. I've downloaded Mabinogi and Perfect something or another, and both games made my laptop chug like nothing else. "But Geno", I'm betting you're about to ask, "you should just turn down the graphic and sound settings, and then it won't chug!" Yeah, guess what? Even on the lowest settings, and turning all non-essentials off, it still moves slower than a JRPG's storyline.

I hope that one day one can buy a computer or laptop and not have to worry about it becoming outdated by the time you hook it up in your home.
since 2008!
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Argh... I knew I made the picture too big.
I'll have to modify the size in the future.
Dypo deLina
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Al Bhed

Post by Dypo deLina »

That picture cracks me up. :XD:
チラセ・マギタ
~Married to Evolina deLuna~ <3
~Loving father to ZetaAzuel~

Proud creator of Cynder Janice, Rex Gladiorum, and Raimpius in Endless Time.

Image Image
Ami

Post by Ami »

Sorry I haven't updated it yet, but I've been dealing with an infection, so... no update this week. Sorry.
since 2008!