American Dad

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

American Dad

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

So I was gonna wait for the media section to post this, but it doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon and this can just be moved here when it does happen anyway. So yeah.

Anyway, I've seen a couple episodes of AD, and, me being the avid hater of Family Guy that I am I expected to hate it. But it's actually a pretty fun show, partly because it employs actual comedy. I'm not the biggest fan in the world of the show or anything but I'm definitely a fan. I don't get the whole thing with the talking goldfish, but at the same time I've come to accept the fact that Roger the alien is just hanging around the Smith household so maybe I shouldn't be asking these questions.

But yeah, American Dad. Unlike it's spiritual predecessor it's actually a good show. Discuss it here. And stuff.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Wackyman
Spoken languages: English

Re: American Dad

Post by Wackyman »

American Dad is a great show. Definatly better than Family Guy.

Also, the reason Roger is hanging around with the Smiths is because Roger once saved Stan's life after Roger escaped from Area 51. It's explained in one episode. Also, not sure about the goldfish (Clouse, if that's how you spell it).

Favorite scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juxm4P4fnq8

EDIT: As soon as I posted that I thought of ten other scenes I like better than that one. This is why I never pick favorites. xD
Last edited by Wackyman on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

I think it's spelled Klaus... He's definitely the weakest character, but oh well. I also agree that American Dad is better than Family Guy :P

Considering all the characters, and the fact that the mom is usually the voice of reason on these shows, I really like how Francine is the craziest one xD
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Family Guy isn't a bad show, just incrediiiiibllllyyyyyy overrated and several of the jokes are rather lazy. (Though that mainly applies to the newer seasons.)

Anyway, I like American Dad. I think it's on par with the first couple of seasons of Family Guy, if not better. I haven't seen all-too-much of it, however. I follow veeeeeeery few shows.
Godot Mango
Spoken languages: English, some german

Post by Godot Mango »

Family Guy isn't overrated. It's just got a clinging fanbase.
You'd think after 16 odd seasons, they'd run out of jokes.
And they did.

I like am... (Oh look, it's on!) I like american dad. It's funny, yes. But it's always interesting.
But anyways, I'ma stop making this post to watch it :D
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

Godot Mango wrote:Family Guy isn't overrated.
Godot Mango
Spoken languages: English, some german

Post by Godot Mango »

Gumpei wrote:
Godot Mango wrote:Family Guy isn't overrated.
....XDDDD

No rly.
They ran out of jokes.
So it IS overrated, NOW.
But back then, it wasn't.
OLDER Family guy was good.
NEWER Family Guy sucks.
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

Oh. That makes much more sense. I agree with you. :P
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

I'm not a fan of Family Guy, or T.V. in general. But the times I sit there and watch Adult Swim (mainly when trying to find anime), I did sit and watch a little American Dad. It was hilarious. :P
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
Tap

Post by Tap »

I ♥ American Dad. 'nough said. :P
Roger/Stan episodes are amazing. The storylines are almost always brilliant, and the interactions between the two are just too damn hilarious. :XD:
ImageImage
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

AD is definitely better than Family Guy, but Family Guy isn't overrated. The middle seasons of Family Guy were definitely the best (the first and second seasons were just awful with a couple exceptions), but the show isn't bad now. Both of my favorite episodes are actually from the most recent season- And Then There Were Fewer and The Road to the North Pole.

But back to American Dad. Seen every episode in order, and the best episodes, by far, are Phantom of the Telethon, The Best Christmas Story Never Told (Stan screws up the past and so has to fix things by shooting a famous figure), Black Mystery Month (the mystery of peanut butter solved...), Tearjerker (007 parody), and With Friends Like Steve's (Barry goes insane). The Christmas specials are always amazing. From performing an assassination to save the future to rampaging through heaven to have another chance to all-out bloody war against Santa and his forces of elves, the Christmas ones are always great and so insane they're awesome. My favorite characters are Bullock, Barry, Toshi, Greg, and Terry. And Steve is so pathetic he's awesome. That is all.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Tap

Post by Tap »

SuperGanondorf wrote:The Christmas specials are always amazing.
Especially The Best Christmas Story Never Told. I absolutely love Stan's little vendetta/grudge against Jane Fonda. :XD:
ImageImage
Ryu Ushiromiya
Spoken languages: American English, Español (Puerto Rico)

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

I love the show! :D My least favorite episode, however, is Rapture's Delight. I just did not like the portrayal of... some things.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! CLICK HERE PLEASE?
Apologies if I do not reply in a timely manner. Sig by Tap!

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Pffft just saw the episode where Stan and Roger get a race horse... I just loved Roger's joke, "It's okay, I know the name of a great horse whisperer. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be me." (It was okay, since Roger was just his secretary associate)

but my favorite episode is the one where Steve gets a girlfriend and Francine wants another baby
Zeel1™

Post by Zeel1™ »

Well I don't dislike Family Guy, though it's certainly had some weak spots and Brian's character in recent seasons kind of irked me. I would agree that American Dad's superior though.

I think part of it is that it has a stronger premise - or rather, that it has a premise at all. With Family Guy, it's just some family that happens to have a talking dog. With American Dad, there's actually something to it. They don't have to make up lame reasons for doing crazy things - he's a CIA agent, of course he's doing that kind of thing. I also tend to prefer all of AmDad's characters in comparison to their FamGuy counterparts, that probably has something to do with it...

About Klause - he was once a man, but the CIA put his brain in a fishes' body... I don't really know of the rest of his backstory, I'm thinking he was an enemy of them before but I can't quite recall. Really not very prevalent - although that's kind of part of his character, he's sort of like Meg in a fishbowl... I tend to like it when they do actually use him, though.
Turnabout Ghost - 1400 Frames