Death Note!

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Whose side are you on?

Kira
42%
L
58%

Total votes: 24

Hodou Okappa
Spoken languages: English

Re: Death Note!

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Glad you like it. I figured it'd be right up your alley.

But yeah, I liked the manga a lot more. When I watched the anime, I gave up on Episode 4. When I read the manga, I literally could not put it down unless I was between volumes.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Whirlwind

Post by Whirlwind »

Hodou Okappa wrote:Nah, I'm simply a big supporter of the "kill one to save thousands" theory.

Killing Hitler would have been murder, no?
(Trying to not think from my pacifist view here.)

However, he didn't kill one person. He killed thousands. I'd estimate that at least 2% of the criminals were innocent. Plus, 10% were people who simply were trying to put an end to the killings!

Just for the record, if my accusations were correct, that'd be around 600 innocent people that he killed.

I think the most simple point I can make is this: Men are stupid and will abuse power, so they do not deserve God-like power.
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

This is why I said I would have done things differently. Light's perception of "evil" was a very naive, childish one, largely because his father was a police officer so he believed all criminals were evil.
Whirlwind

Post by Whirlwind »

You would think you would have done things differently. But would you? Have you seen humanity whenever it is given power? It might do the right thing for a while, then it gets corrupted. Tell me, what would you do when there are detectives and police officers coming after you? Would you simply let them find you?
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

In real life, that would never happen. It's actually really, really simple to keep from revealing anything with a Death Note.
Spoiler : :
Light practically TRIES to screw it up at certain points. That, combined with the existence of super-geniuses L AND Near, finally brings him down. If he had simply been controlling the times of death from the very start, he would have won. Unquestionably. They never would have been able to realize there was a Kira, or that said Kira was human, and especially they'd never realize that he was killing people through a name. They'd probably think that the deaths were some sort of poisoning, or other conventional murder.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I agree with Okappa. Light's hubris was definitely his downfall.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Well you can't predict EVERYTHING when you're just starting with the undetectable murder business. If someone finds a notebook like that he'd obviously just think "Awesome, nobody is ever going to catch me I can just kill whoever I want".
I might take even a smart one like Light a while to realize that there are still methods with which a genius can narrow things down. He's just human, after all.
Of course people who watched Death Note wouldn't make that mistake anymore. :mrgreen:
Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

Whirlwind wrote:
Hodou Okappa wrote:Nah, I'm simply a big supporter of the "kill one to save thousands" theory.

Killing Hitler would have been murder, no?
(Trying to not think from my pacifist view here.)

However, he didn't kill one person. He killed thousands. I'd estimate that at least 2% of the criminals were innocent. Plus, 10% were people who simply were trying to put an end to the killings!

Just for the record, if my accusations were correct, that'd be around 600 innocent people that he killed.

I think the most simple point I can make is this: Men are stupid and will abuse power, so they do not deserve God-like power.
False.
When Mikami took over for Light, he killed criminals without really thinking. This annoyed Light, who then mentioned he actually had been taking into account the circumstances to determine whether or not they were clearly guilty, evil people who deserved to be killed.

If 10% of the victims were people who went after Kira, you realise Kira would have only have killed around 160 people total, right? Which is clearly not the case. Not even 1% of his victims were people going after him, since the only non-criminals who opposed him who died were the 12 FBI agents, Naomi, L, Watari and Rem. Mello's not listed since he was a criminal who scarred a young woman for life just so that he could use the Death Note. Ukita, Soichiro and Matt were all people who Light neither killed nor intended to be killed.

So in truth, that'd be around 16 innocent people that he killed. But from a Kira supporter's perspective, those were all people who were trying to put a stop to the only chance for world peace. So it's actually only Rem who I'd consider innocent since she ended up supporting Kira but Light didn't know that.

The majority of humanity would use the Death Note wrongly but Light was using it selflessly and killed almost exclusively people who got what they deserved.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

But every criminal has certain "circumstances"...
I'm sure if you'd ask them everyone of them would have quite the story to tell.
Some might regret it, a lot might even say what they did was right and justified. (=pretty much how Light justifies his own actions, why is his opinion better than everybody else's? He's a murderer as well, so...)
So in the end Light decided who still counted as "good" and who didn't.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Hold it! wrote:
Light was using it selflessly
He was using it to become God. That's pretty selfish if you ask me...
Remilia Scarlet

Bad Player wrote:
Hold it! wrote:
True but he still was using it with the intention of doing good. Most people wouldn't care about using it ethically.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Hold it! wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Hold it! wrote:
True but he still was using it with the intention of doing good. Most people wouldn't care about using it ethically.
No, I think they would. And even if his intentions started out like that, he DID go power crazy. There's no denying that.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Hold it! wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Hold it! wrote:
No, he was doing it with the intention of getting power.
Remilia Scarlet

Shadowsleuth wrote:
No, I think they would. And even if his intentions started out like that, he DID go power crazy. There's no denying that.
You really think so? You have quite a lot of faith in humanity then. His intentions never changed. It did become about his ego too but part of his motivation was always to wipe out evil.
Bad Player wrote:
No, he was doing it with the intention of getting power.
He specifically stated at the beginning that he feared having to kill so many people but that he needed to do it to change the world. He continues to only kill criminals he considers evil, rather than just killing them all. He did become more and more obsessed with power but he was also doing it for the sake of justice and that never changed, nor is it suggested to ever have.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Quite the opposite, actually. But that's what most people, if they decided to use it, normally would think of. The only exception would be if it fell into the hands of someone like a terrorist, or someone.

Well, if we go any further into this debate, I'll end up getting all religious, so let's just say that good and evil is all relative.