Anime/Manga Critics and Coinnoiseurs

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Anime/Manga Critics and Coinnoiseurs

Post by Lind »

So I'd just like to draw you guys attention to this club:

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=2913

This is a club dedicated to, by objective comparison, reviewing, scaling, and vote with a steep approval percentage, are attempting root out the best anime, manga, and characters ever made. We vote on one for each every week, and we've only accepted around 80 items, out of approximately 1000, so far.

In short, this is an attempt to make a definitive list of the best of the best.

I'm posting this here for two reasons: the first is that I hope this will give some of you some good anime to watch.

The second is that I'm hoping some of you meet the entry qualifications and will end up joining. And if you like a bit of friendly debate about anime and manga, this is a really good place for it.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Re: Anime/Manga Critics and Coinnoiseurs

Post by Blackrune »

Good to see you have Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Monster in there... those a some of the few anime I'd give perfect ratings. xD

I guess I'll give this a closer look when I find the time...
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Blackrune wrote:Good to see you have Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Monster in there... those a some of the few anime I'd give perfect ratings. xD

Glad to hear you're a fan, those are two of the only 5 anime I've ever given perfect 10s to (out of about 250). The other 3 were Cowboy Bebop, Tatami Galaxy, and Honey & Clover.

P.S: Just a disclaimer: despite the complaints of many members, myself included, ongoing series are not allowed to be nominated. Berserk, One Piece, and Genshiken are exceptions because they were inducted before that rule came into place.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Blackrune wrote:Good to see you have Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Monster in there... those a some of the few anime I'd give perfect ratings. xD

Indeed~ And it has Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen too~!

Gah! Thanks for reminding me, I still haven't continued watching LOGH..! D:
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Singidava wrote:

Indeed~ And it has Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen too~!

Gah! Thanks for reminding me, I still haven't continued watching LOGH..! D:
I gotta watch RK eventually, but I still don't really know whether I should start with the anime, the manga, or the OVAs. I plan to watch them all eventually regardless of one being better than the other, but I'm still not sure where to start.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Spoiler : completely irrelevant Kenshin info :
Well, RK: Tsuiokuhen is a prequel to the series but in manga it's a part the last arc, so it's your choice whether you watch it the first or last (it doesn't require to know the series). Be sure not to watch RK: Seisounen. Tsuiokuhen is so much better. Noticeably the OVAs have clearly different style (more dark and mature) compared to the rest of the series.
Just compare these styles:
Tsuiokuhen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4qNhKO ... re=related
TV series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxfUdY0z ... re=related

The fighting scenes in manga are great but the villains feel a little flat and the boxes that explain Japanese history can be a little distracting (there is a lot of them).

The anime TV series is known for its unconsistent quality. The first season is okay, mostly mini-arcs with some generic villains. The second season is known for being the best and it has some moments of absolute GOLD in it (there are some not really filler but almost in it too though, for example ep 29 and 32). Usually I suggest just getting to know the characters first (by watching eps 4 and 5 for example) and then jumping straight to ep 28 and continue from it. Anyways, the third season is mostly just filler.
*goes back to watching LOGH*
Master Of Chaos
Spoken languages: English

Post by Master Of Chaos »

*Looks for Toradora*
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Singidava wrote:
Spoiler : completely irrelevant Kenshin info :
Well, RK: Tsuiokuhen is a prequel to the series but in manga it's a part the last arc, so it's your choice whether you watch it the first or last (it doesn't require to know the series). Be sure not to watch RK: Seisounen. Tsuiokuhen is so much better. Noticeably the OVAs have clearly different style (more dark and mature) compared to the rest of the series.
Just compare these styles:
Tsuiokuhen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4qNhKO ... re=related
TV series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxfUdY0z ... re=related

The fighting scenes in manga are great but the villains feel a little flat and the boxes that explain Japanese history can be a little distracting (there is a lot of them).

The anime TV series is known for its unconsistent quality. The first season is okay, mostly mini-arcs with some generic villains. The second season is known for being the best and it has some moments of absolute GOLD in it (there are some not really filler but almost in it too though, for example ep 29 and 32). Usually I suggest just getting to know the characters first (by watching eps 4 and 5 for example) and then jumping straight to ep 28 and continue from it. Anyways, the third season is mostly just filler.
*goes back to watching LOGH*
I actually just started it now. I've watched the first two episodes, they were great. I kinda wish the first episode had been more drawn out, though, oddly enough. You know, so we could take in the fantastic atmosphere. Although maybe that's just my 5 Leaves obsession kicking in.

It's still a solid 9/10, though.

On that note, I still can't believe 5 Leaves didn't pass.
Master Of Chaos wrote:*Looks for Toradora*
No-one has actually nominated Toradora yet.
EmaTheScienceSkye
Winner of AC 1#!
Spoken languages: English, Chinese, French, Spanish, Japanese

Post by EmaTheScienceSkye »

Needs more Aria and A's. =[
Your Resident Ema Skye Impersonator.
Blah.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

EmaTheScienceSkye wrote:Needs more Aria and A's. =[
The third series of Aria was in the club until, like, 3 weeks ago, where it fell a tiny bit short of the approval rating in a re-vote.

The manga passed the rating, but less than the minimum number of people (15) voted yes on it, so it has to be nominated all over again until more people actually read it.

...Admittedly I probably should get around to reading it myself. I probably will once I'm done with Lone Wolf & Cub.

As for A's, I don't even know what that is. :P