The AAO Persona 4: The Animation Fandub Thread(Cast List Up)

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

deHughes
Spoken languages: English

The AAO Persona 4: The Animation Fandub Thread(Cast List Up)

Post by deHughes »

Introduction
Greetings, ladies and gents, Truffy deHughes here today to introduce you to my newest project which many people are already haiped up for. The idea of "fandubbing" should be common to most. You take an anime, video game, movie, etc. And replace the official character voices with your own, or bring voice to a voiceless experience. You could consider Abridged Series a sort of fandub, albeit much looser in the accuracy of the script and portrayals.

And now consider something else. When anime's do not have English dubs, all we non-Japanese speakers have are Subs. The Japanese cast with subtitles underneath. Many people dislike this. Personally, I prefer dubs, but can very easily watch subs. Some cannot do that. Some refuse to watch subs at all. And this is a travesty for many amazing shows. They are forced to be left out of an amazing show because of their distaste for its presentation.

Mr. BBblader is one of those people. As a good friend of mine, and a fan of the Persona series(possibly only for Reach out to the Truth) I find it a crime that he won't watch the Persona 4 anime. And that's where I came in. I volunteered to do live reading of the subs in a livestream for him. Simple, but enough to get him to actually watch this amazing show. However, xat happened.

BB told people of this, and the reaction was "Truf. Fandub, you know you want to." and thanks to prodding by Kappa, I gave in. I will be fandubbing Persona 4: The Animation, and you could be part of this project.

This project, first and foremost, is about enjoyment, not just for the VA's, but for the listening audience. I want this to be a work which all can listen to and enjoy, not just the cast. And this means having certain standards. But I know we aren't going to be super amazing or professional, so I won't be too hard a director. xD

Note: Roles that can't be cast here, either by receiving no auditions, or auditions just not meeting my standards, will be posted on VAA (Voice Acting Alliance.) These guys actually know why they're doing, and can go for other roles as well once they join the cast, so try hard!

You may audition for any character, and can go for multiple characters. If you feel like you can improve upon your previous audition, you may re-sent. There is no limit on resending. You may ask for critique on your piece, but I reserve the right to decline. Though I will often try to help out. I may also send you a redirect or a suggestion. A redirect is a simple tweak to the audition. It will generally be a new line to read, that carries new emotion with it. A suggestion will be based on what role I think you could be a good match for. Whether you audition for that or not is up to you.

Sending in Auditions
1) Please, try and use the best quality mic possible this means no puffs, cracks, hisses, etc, I'm not saying it will hurt your chances, but it won't help.

2) Send all auditions to "P4AnimeFandub@gmail.com"

3) If you want a critique I'll write one for you to the best of my ability. It may take awhile though, and I reserve the right NOT TO WRITE ONE.

4) Regardless if you are sending just one line in, SEND IT IN A FOLDER/ZIP FORMAT!

5) Send the auditions as followed USERNAME_CHARACTERNAME_LINE1

6) All auditions must be in mp3 format.

7) Each character must have all lines recorded for an audition.

STORY(As blatantly stolen from the SMT Wiki)
In the rural town of Inaba, mysterious murders have been taking place whenever there was fog after heavy rain. There were also rumors about a channel on television airing only at midnight called the Midnight Channel, during which it is said that you can see your soulmate when staring at a turned off TV screen at midnight when it rains. After hearing about a recent unsolved murder which occurred during the fog, the protagonist, Yosuke Hanamura, and Chie Satonaka discuss how each of them had attempted to watch the Midnight Channel and witnessed the murder victim. They later realize that their bodies can phase into the television set as a gateway to enter another world infested with Shadows. Thus begins an adventure to discover the connection between the Midnight Channel and the murders and kidnappings around town.

MALES
* = confirmed
Name: Yu Narukami
Bio: The Protagonist of Persona 4. Where once he was silent, he can now speak. Just moved from the big city to the rural town of Inaba to live with his uncle Dojima for a year.
Cast to: Shadowsleuth

Name: Yosuke Hanamura
Bio: Yosuke is one of the students in Yu's new class. He is the son of the manager of Junes, the local supermarket. However, this earns him quite a bit of disapproval from some people of the town.
Cast to: Darknezz

Name: Kanji Tatsumi
Bio: Kanji appears to be your usual "street thug." Sleeked back bleached blonde hair, a scar over his eye, a skull tattoo on his shoulder, and a leather jacket paint him as more than your usual high schooler. However, he is a softie underneath this facade.
Cast to: A-Ther

Name: Teddie
Bio: Teddie is a giant, living plush bear with a zipper attaching his head to his body. No really. His origin is completely unknown, and is met by Yu inside the Midnight Channel.
Cast to: Crannigy*

FEMALES
Name: Chie Satonaka
Bio: Chie is a student in Yu's new class. She goes with Yu and Yosuke to see how Yu can "stick his hand inside the TV." Cue wacky mystery.
Cast to: musicvidnut

Name: Yukiko Amagi
Bio: Yukiko is one of the student's in Yu's class, and best friend of Chie. This elegant young lady is set to inherit her family's inn and is put through large amounts of work nearly everyday for it.
Cast to: Midnight Melody

Name: Rise Kujikawa
Bio: Rise is a famous teen idol in Japan who boys and girls alike love and admire. She moves to Inaba to take a leave from her idol-life due to "health reasons."
Cast to: Estellise*

Name: Naoto Shirigane
Bio: Naoto is a child prodigy put on the Inaba kidnapping case. Tries to solve the case with little help, but ends up being one of the victims herself. Attempts to pass herself off as a male.
Cast to: Sarahblass27

*This project is going to require slight swears (Damn, hell, crap, etc.), as well as pronouncing very Japanese names(Just look at the Persona call lines), and mild sexualization.*
Last edited by deHughes on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:22 am, edited 10 times in total.
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
deHughes

Re: The AAO Persona 4: The Animation Fandub Thread (Casting)

Post by deHughes »

EPISODE 1 AUDITIONS
MALES
Name: Igor
Bio: Proprietor of the Velvet Room, and a guide of sorts for Yu. Hands information to Yu, but in a very cryptic manner. Many of his remarks seem to foreshadow future events, making some think he is omnipotent.
Cast to: ViceGT

Name: Ryotaro Dojima
Bio: Yu's uncle and father of Nanako. A hard-working detective and single father. In charge of the murder case this game revolves around. Easily enraged when stressed.
Cast to: Jethrotex

Name: Tohru Adachi
Bio: Dojima's partner in the murder case. A jovial detective who often serves as comic relief. Has a massive workload piled onto him by Dojima.
Cast to: Hodou Okappa

Name: Gas Station Attendant
Bio: The first person who Yu meets upon moving to Inaba. Encourages Yu to make some new friends or get a job, or else be faced with extreme boredom.
Cast to: HeroicRoxas

Name: Kinshiro Morooka
Bio: Yu's homeroom teacher. Very judgmental and disapproving of modern teenagers and their "scandalous" ways. Appears to have a grudge on A) Teenagers B) Women C) Small Cities D) Large Cities E) Jobs F) Society G) Other human beings H) The world I) Probably cats too.
Cast to: derekotsu

Name: Izanagi
Bio: Yu's Persona who before being summoned calls out to Yu.
Cast to: Darknezz

FEMALES
Name: Margaret
Bio: Igor's new assistant in the Velvet Room. She is a quiet, professional woman, and mature person, but has a silly whimsical sense of humor and a warming attitude.
Cast to: Sarahblass27

Name: Nanako Dojima
Bio: Dojima's daughter, and Yu's cousin. A mature and kind person for someone her age, Nanako is very shy around strangers, including Yu. However, after warming up to him, she opens up and becomes very energetic, friendly and cheerful. She adoringly calls Yu "Big Bro" as if he was her biological brother. She is absolutely adorable.
Cast to: Tofu Frog

Name: Saki Konishi
Bio: An employee of Junes, and fellow student at Yu's high school. Her family runs a liquor store, and disapprove of her working at Junes. Despite Yosuke being in love with her, she hates his guts; finding him to be a nosy, annoying little brother of sorts. Her death is one of the largest motivation's for Yosuke to begin investigating the murders and the Midnight Channel.
Cast to: sydsnap*
Last edited by deHughes on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Oh, this looks interesting...

I feel a bit compelled to audition, but... I don't know if I want my voice going online.

Are there any troll-ish characters I could do? I think I have a good troll voice.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

I wonder if you're going to get enough voices for this... Are you requesting help on some other forums as well? Anyways, fandubbing teams have tendecy to fall apart. Well, I guess a tightly-knit forum like AAO wouldn't have that problem but...

I'd love to help, too bad I'm not a native speaker so I can't, unless you need a Japanese translator (and not a very good one). xDD
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

I'd love to audition. Unfortunately I can't in the current condition I'm in. I'll get one in eventually. But my microphone sucks, so my chances of getting accepted are slim to none.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

I might do this when I get my new battery for my computer.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Shadowsleuth wrote:Oh, this looks interesting...

I feel a bit compelled to audition, but... I don't know if I want my voice going online.

Are there any troll-ish characters I could do? I think I have a good troll voice.
Yosuke is the closest main character to that description. Probably Igor and Adachi both work -- you'd be competing with me on both of those, when I finally get my auditions in, but I don't know how good they'll be.

Namatame somewhat qualifies too -- he's not actually a troll, but trolls could voice him well. If that makes sense. And if you can do a girl's voice, then Izanami is definitely the best person there, but she'll be tough to do... Think Ash Ketchum, kind of.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Sent in an audition for all men. Was going to do Naoto but the mic didn't carry it well. It was nice to try and fail to be a part of this. :P
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

I normally have the house to myself after school, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen for quite a while. Which sucks, cuz I'm really itching to try out for this. D:

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water

Call me Wacky.

Thursday
Spoken languages: English, Tagalog, Some French

Post by Thursday »

Hm, never had a chance to play P4, but... I think I might be a good fit for Yu or Yosuke.
Good thing I have no school tomorrow, so you can expect an audition from me tomorrow~ (I'm not liable if your ears bleed, though :P)

Day 2 - Trial COMPLETE and Playable now!
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I'm a bit torn because I kind of want to try it...

But, then again, I'd feel a bit awkward doing these kinds of lines. I suppose I could try to do Narukami... But I don't know if my voice is deep enough for that.

Ah, decisions, decisions...
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

Shadowsleuth wrote:Oh, this looks interesting...

Well, please only audition if you are comfortable if you're going for a big role. I would hate to have someone be here for 4 episodes, and then have to be replaced. It happens, but it's something I would like to avoid.

As for trolls... Kappa basically summed it up. No one is really a troll in this series in the way, say Hazama is. When characters troll, they do so subtly without a "trolling voice." Shadows only last one episode, but they do throw subtlety outside of the window. But, with that comes voicing the character as a whole.
Singidava wrote:I wonder if you're going to get enough voices for this... Are you requesting help on some other forums as well? Anyways, fandubbing teams have tendecy to fall apart. Well, I guess a tightly-knit forum like AAO wouldn't have that problem but...

I'd love to help, too bad I'm not a native speaker so I can't, unless you need a Japanese translator (and not a very good one). xDD
I'd like to keep this to AAO for a while, but I know that will simply not fly. We don't have nearly enough people with voice-work capabilities in order for us to do this on our own. I'm gonna hold off of posting on VAA, the largest voice-acting site as far as I know, for a while just to give people here a chance. But yeah, I will have to use them, I'm sure.

And thanks for the support. ^^
Wackyman wrote:I'd love to audition. Unfortunately I can't in the current condition I'm in. I'll get one in eventually. But my microphone sucks, so my chances of getting accepted are slim to none.
Just want to stress: By good, I meant "You don't make my ears bleed with static." Honestly, a $15 headset at Wal-Mart would be good enough for me. And with that, you at least got headphones that don't die after a week.
Wackyman wrote:I normally have the house to myself after school, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen for quite a while. Which sucks, cuz I'm really itching to try out for this. D:
Well, the deadline is almost definitely being extended for a little grace period, so don't sweat it too much. I do want auditions from you and Kappa, plus I do have to give the VAA guys a good period of time(read: week and a half at the least). So main's probably won't be closing until... early December, probably.
Thursday wrote:Hm, never had a chance to play P4, but... I think I might be a good fit for Yu or Yosuke.
Good thing I have no school tomorrow, so you can expect an audition from me tomorrow~ (I'm not liable if your ears bleed, though :P)
Haipe is gotten. Grammar are not from, Truf..
Shadowsleuth wrote:I'm a bit torn because I kind of want to try it...

But, then again, I'd feel a bit awkward doing these kinds of lines. I suppose I could try to do Narukami... But I don't know if my voice is deep enough for that.

Ah, decisions, decisions...
Yeah... the first time you sit down and try to voice act is... a little weird. :P It takes time to adjust.

Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

Auditioned for Yosuke. I'll try and audition for Teddie tomorrow. Ran out of time today.

Call me Wacky.

deHughes

Post by deHughes »

3 days left to get your auditions before it heads over to VAA.

Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

Curse me breaking my Mic and USB port ><

Guess I'm not goona make it.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)