Cartoons Past and Present

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

What is your favorite era of cartoons?

1992-1996
No votes
1996-2002
54%
2002-2005
23%
2005-2008
15%
2008-present
8%

Total votes: 13

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Cartoons Past and Present

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Some people like modern cartoons. Some people long for the cartoon golden era. Some people see these cartoons again on youtube and they get nostalgic.

This topic is for discussing cartoons both past and present (in general). What you think about Cartoon Network today. What you think about Nickelodeon. What you think of Hub (formerly Discovery Kids).

Here's my presenting poll: What was your favorite era of cartoons? (I assume few people are born before 1990),
TrialmanAKASoma Cruz
Spoken languages: English

Re: Cartoons Past and Present

Post by TrialmanAKASoma Cruz »

I'd put a tie between the first two options, 2008-present and times from before the years of this poll.
Spoiler : Reason for my choices :
Pre-poll: Classic Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Disney shorts, and some shows and movies I'm too lazy to think of at the moment.
1992-1996: Tiny Toons(I know it's slightly pre-poll, but close enough if you ask me), Animaniacs, Mega Man, and various other cartoon shows I'm too lazy to think of.
1996-2002: Treasure Planet, Toy Story, Yu-Gi-Oh, Hoshi no Kaabii, and some others I'm too lazy to think of. (Yes, I count anime as cartoons)
2008-present: Up, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic(Favourite cartoon ever)
Last edited by TrialmanAKASoma Cruz on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love all generations of My Little Pony and I'm proud of it! Paste this into your sig if you are too!
To please my Yuri side. (Picture by adcoon on DA)
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

I'd say the entirety of the 90s up until the direct middle of the 00s, tbh.
The days before kids shows in general began to devolve into lousy unfunny, shall I say, crap.
I mean, Chowder VS Cow and Chicken. Johnny Test VS Kids Next Door. Anything science-themed post 2005 VS Dexter's Laboratory. iCarly VS The Amanda Show, and so on.

Robotboy is the only decent thing they have on Cartoon Network at the moment imo. Hell, even Transformers Prime has been corrupted by Bay's influence, and will never live up to the likes of Transformers Armada, or indeed, Generation 1.

P.S. Powerpuff Girls was the Friendship is Magic of the old days when it came to perceived quality and fanbase. :)

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

CN has fallen from grace. You pointed out the kinda bad shows just now, SE, but the fact of the matter is that it gets MUUUUUCH worse. Two words: ADVENTURE TIME. And two others: PROBLEM SOLVERS. There are more bad shows, but those two are the worst, imo. There's some decent stuff (I find MAD to be pretty funny in its satire of media, but the rest of it is just gross crap), and there is the occasional jem (Thundercats=CN's savior) but the rest is crap. Dexter's Laboratory, PPG, and all the rest of them. That's when CN was awesome.

And dang, SE, I can catch Robotboy on every once in a blue moon in the US, that hasn't been a during-the-day regular for a while now...
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Hmm...I remember the good old days with Zim, the uncrappy classic Scooby Doo, Courage the Cowardly dog, Cow and Chicken (which was extremely disgustingly packed with innuendo), etc. The only really good show on CN, is Billy and Mandy. I think the problem that's killed CR is political correctness, etc. In this day if your show works on dark humor,innuendo,etc. Parents set fire to your studio and brutally murder the producer. Seriously!
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

ShadowEdgeworth wrote:I'd say the entirety of the 90s up until the direct middle of the 00s, tbh.
The days before kids shows in general began to devolve into lousy unfunny, shall I say, crap.
I mean, Chowder VS Cow and Chicken. Johnny Test VS Kids Next Door. Anything science-themed post 2005 VS Dexter's Laboratory. iCarly VS The Amanda Show, and so on.

Robotboy is the only decent thing they have on Cartoon Network at the moment imo. Hell, even Transformers Prime has been corrupted by Bay's influence, and will never live up to the likes of Transformers Armada, or indeed, Generation 1.

P.S. Powerpuff Girls was the Friendship is Magic of the old days when it came to perceived quality and fanbase. :)
Probably because FiM and PPG share a creator. God bless you, Faust.
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
The Crusader Of 42

Post by The Crusader Of 42 »

What about the original Bugs Bunny and Tweety show :|

The best moderen cartoons have to be Spongebob Squarepants, and My
Little Pony Friendship is Magic.

I also remember watching an old X-men cartoon on youtube. Which I really enjoyed.

Anything surreal works too.
"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now."

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

When was The Grim of Adventures of Billy and Mandy? Hm, 2001-2007. I guess I'll vote 2002-2005, then :P

This is the thing with CN shows: they start off bad, and get good. They have the premise and basic characters, but beyond that they start of generic and formulaic. However, after a season or two they find their niche, and get pretty decent. However as time as gone on (okay maybe this hasn't actually happened and it's all in my head, but this is how I feel) CN has cancelled the shows earlier and earlier. So the shows spent less time in their good, 'niche' phase, and eventually didn't even reach it at all.

My Fair Mandy and Keeper of the Reaper = gold
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Cartoon Network used to be gooc, but now it's just Ben 10 and Generator Rex.
Boomerang's alright because it shows Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

Cartoon Network is pretty ugly now. The only good shows on there are Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Total Drama. =P

Gotta say I had a hard time in choosing. Each area had a great cartoon. However, I went with 2002-2005.
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
AABattery
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, Learning Korean

Post by AABattery »

Total Drama? Good? Blegh!

Anyway, I was watching The Fox and the Hound the other day with my mom. It was like going back in time, watching a commercial for The Lion King.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Energizerman wrote:Cartoon Network used to be gooc, but now it's just Ben 10 and Generator Rex.
And Regular Show and Adventure Time. :/
Whirlwind

Post by Whirlwind »

Bad Player wrote: This is the thing with CN shows: they start off bad, and get good. They have the premise and basic characters, but beyond that they start of generic and formulaic. However, after a season or two they find their niche, and get pretty decent. However as time as gone on (okay maybe this hasn't actually happened and it's all in my head, but this is how I feel) CN has cancelled the shows earlier and earlier. So the shows spent less time in their good, 'niche' phase, and eventually didn't even reach it at all.
Basically, this. I've found that I enjoy the shows with plots once they get into the second or third season.

Except for that one show. What was it called again? Something about angsty teenagers from space who could turn into robots.

Anyway, I couldn't really choose because I love dissecting and criticizing ALL generations of cartoons <3
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

By the way, about the poll... it's a really close one between 96/02 and 02/05, but I went with 02/05 because if you count anime into the mix, then we have 2003, easily the best year of anime ever (Wolf's Rain, Stellvia, Kaleido Star, Human Crossing, Last Exile, Kino's Journey, Scrapped Princess, Texhnolyze, FMP: Fumoffu, Cromartie High School, Planetes, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gunslinger Girl, and Gungrave. I mean, just... wow).

On top of that, Samurai Jack, Grim and Evil (or nowadays, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy), Megas XLR, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, and Sheep in the Big City (surely I'm not the only one who remembers that show?), plus a whole bunch of awesome stuff still airing from the late 90s and early 2000s makes this probably the best era of animation for me.
AABattery
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, Learning Korean

Post by AABattery »

Lind wrote:Grim and Evil (or nowadays, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy)
I don't get what you mean by "nowadays". Lots of people loved it back when it first came out and no new episodes are being aired...