The Indiana Jones Quadrilogy

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

The Indiana Jones Quadrilogy

Post by energizerspark »

This is the topic where you talk about Indiana Jones. For those of you who have never heard of him, Indiana Jones is an archeologist explorer guy or something (played by Harrison Ford) who goes around finding mythical objects. There are 4 films in the series:

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (originally just called Raiders of the Lost Ark on its release)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

There's also a bunch of video games, a 5th (and probably final) movie in development, and a Young Indiana Jones series.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Re: The Indiana Jones Quadrilogy

Post by Broocevelt »

Energizerman wrote:Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Why, Steven...?
WHY GEORGE?
King Pie

Post by King Pie »

Energizerman wrote: a 5th (and probably final) movie in development
Now hopefully things can't get worse then the fourth one, hopefully.
Go here alot
DAVE X PIE FOREVER
Dr.Cookie Master
Spoken languages: English, very very basic French, learning Spanish.

Post by Dr.Cookie Master »

Lord Pie wrote:
Energizerman wrote: a 5th (and probably final) movie in development
Now hopefully things can't get worse then the fourth one, hopefully.
I'm confused
I watched the 4th one
Why is it so bad?
“Empty?! You took all the cookies!"
"They were crying to get out of the jar... Cookies get claustrophobia too, you know!”
― Charles M. Schulz
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

It's not that it's bad.

It's a very ungrateful sequel.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Ungrateful? :S It's silly, but all of the Indy movies are silly.

The backlash it got to me always seemed like people hating more on Lucas just because he's Lucas, honestly. I know there are valid reasons for the hate but when everybody goes around saying INDY'S FRIDGE INDY'S FRIDGE INDY'S FRIDGE a bazillion times it's ridiculous.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Well the fridge and the entire "happytown" segment WAS stupid and pointless and the film as a whole probably would have been better if it was cut.

That aside, I'd hardly say Crystal Skull is as bad as some people make it out to be. Then again, Temple of Doom was my favorite.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

What is this talk about a "fourth Indy." There is only three. That poster is obviously a 'shop. Trust me, I'm an expert at them.
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

deHughes wrote:What is this talk about a "fourth Indy." There is only three. That poster is obviously a 'shop. Trust me, I'm an expert at them.
/originaljoke
DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

Fifth one in development? I've heard rumors, but has it been confirmed?
The Final but not so ending chapter.
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

The fourth movie could have been worse, I guess.

From the Wikipedia entry about The Last Crusade:
Lucas initially suggested making the film "a haunted mansion movie", for which Romancing the Stone writer Diane Thomas wrote a script. Spielberg rejected the idea because of the similarity to Poltergeist, which he had co-written and produced.[4] Lucas first introduced the Holy Grail in an idea for the film's prologue, which was to be set in Scotland. He intended the Grail to have a pagan basis, with the rest of the film revolving around a separate Christian artifact in Africa. Spielberg did not care for the Grail idea, which he found too esoteric,[5] even after Lucas suggested giving it healing powers and the ability to grant immortality. In September 1984 Lucas completed an eight-page treatment titled Indiana Jones and the Monkey King, which he soon followed with an 11-page outline. The story saw Indiana battling a ghost in Scotland before finding the Fountain of Youth in Africa.[6]

Chris Columbus—who had written the Spielberg-produced Gremlins, The Goonies, and Young Sherlock Holmes—was hired to write the script. His first draft, dated May 3, 1985, changed the main plot device to a Garden of Immortal Peaches. It begins in 1937, with Indiana battling the murderous ghost of Baron Seamus Seagrove III in Scotland. Indiana travels to Mozambique to aid Dr. Clare Clarke (a Katharine Hepburn type, according to Lucas) who has found a 200-year-old pygmy. The pygmy is kidnapped by the Nazis during a boat chase, and Indiana, Clare and Scraggy Brier—an old friend of Indiana—travel up the Zambesi river to rescue him. Indiana is killed in the climactic battle but is resurrected by the Monkey King. Other characters include a cannibalistic African tribe; Nazi Sergeant Gutterbuhg, who has a mechanical arm; Betsy, a stowaway student who is suicidally in love with Indiana; and a pirate leader named Kezure (described as a Toshirō Mifune type), who dies eating a peach because he is not pure of heart. The tank is three stories high and requires Indiana to ride a rhinoceros to commandeer it.[6]
...yes. Ghosts, racism, cannibals, BIONIC ARMS, a yandere, deadly fruit, a Monkey King, giant tanks, and a rhinoceros chase scene. And all we got were aliens and Shia LeBeouf. What a ripoff.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
King Pie

Post by King Pie »

Hodou Okappa wrote:The fourth movie could have been worse, I guess.

From the Wikipedia entry about The Last Crusade:
Lucas initially suggested making the film "a haunted mansion movie", for which Romancing the Stone writer Diane Thomas wrote a script. Spielberg rejected the idea because of the similarity to Poltergeist, which he had co-written and produced.[4] Lucas first introduced the Holy Grail in an idea for the film's prologue, which was to be set in Scotland. He intended the Grail to have a pagan basis, with the rest of the film revolving around a separate Christian artifact in Africa. Spielberg did not care for the Grail idea, which he found too esoteric,[5] even after Lucas suggested giving it healing powers and the ability to grant immortality. In September 1984 Lucas completed an eight-page treatment titled Indiana Jones and the Monkey King, which he soon followed with an 11-page outline. The story saw Indiana battling a ghost in Scotland before finding the Fountain of Youth in Africa.[6]

Chris Columbus—who had written the Spielberg-produced Gremlins, The Goonies, and Young Sherlock Holmes—was hired to write the script. His first draft, dated May 3, 1985, changed the main plot device to a Garden of Immortal Peaches. It begins in 1937, with Indiana battling the murderous ghost of Baron Seamus Seagrove III in Scotland. Indiana travels to Mozambique to aid Dr. Clare Clarke (a Katharine Hepburn type, according to Lucas) who has found a 200-year-old pygmy. The pygmy is kidnapped by the Nazis during a boat chase, and Indiana, Clare and Scraggy Brier—an old friend of Indiana—travel up the Zambesi river to rescue him. Indiana is killed in the climactic battle but is resurrected by the Monkey King. Other characters include a cannibalistic African tribe; Nazi Sergeant Gutterbuhg, who has a mechanical arm; Betsy, a stowaway student who is suicidally in love with Indiana; and a pirate leader named Kezure (described as a Toshirō Mifune type), who dies eating a peach because he is not pure of heart. The tank is three stories high and requires Indiana to ride a rhinoceros to commandeer it.[6]
...yes. Ghosts, racism, cannibals, BIONIC ARMS, a yandere, deadly fruit, a Monkey King, giant tanks, and a rhinoceros chase scene. And all we got were aliens and Shia LeBeouf. What a ripoff.
That's so cool though, WHO COULD HAVE POSSIBLY REJECTED THAT IDEA!?
Go here alot
DAVE X PIE FOREVER
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

I think I just vomited a little from that.
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

I don't think complaining about the aliens is very justified. All the movies had some crazy supernatural elements.
But yeah, still pretty bad in comparison.
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Exactly. That's my argument. People complain "Oh, they ruined it with the fridge and the gophers and the aliens but this is a series which features:

A MAGICAL BOX THAT MELTS YOUR FACE OFF IF YOU'RE A NAZI, A TEMPLE...THINGY (I haven't seen Temple of Doom yet), AND THE HOLY GRAIL.

And they're complaining about a fridge.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering