Meph's Handy Tips #2: Prologues

Find detailed help from the AAO community, or write your own tutorials.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

Meph's Handy Tips #2: Prologues

Post by Meph »

Meph's Handy Tips #2
Prologues
I've been a staff member here for over a year now, and most of the trials that I've seen have used the same basic concept for prologues:- recite how the victim was murdered. These prologues have just a black screen while the murderer and the victim have a conversation with each other.

I don't mean to be rude to these people, but that's not exciting at all!

What you need is interesting, exciting, entertaining prologues! Prologues are what's needed to light the match to ignite a very exciting trial, metaphorically speaking. You need a prologue to make your trial to show the player that your trial is very exciting, and worth playing.

Let's look at a brilliant example of one of these mediocre prologues. Turnabout of the Wild West is one of my unfinished trials, and it's prologue is a good example of these prologues. Watch the prologue if you want to see what I mean. I added pictures to make it a bit more interesting, but they didn't help much. If you want to see an even worse prologue, play my my first ever trial, Turnabout Chill.

The following section has spoilers for almost every Ace Attorney game ever made.

The real Ace Attorney games have brilliant prologues, as we all know. Let's look at the first ever prologue in The First Turnabout.

This prologue is shown in Mr Sahwit's point of view. Also, it doesn't show the murder itself; it shows what happened after the murder, and how Larry is blamed.

But what about Turnabout Goodbyes? In that episode, it does indeed recite the murder. Or does it?

Remember that in that episode, the the victim wasn't actually murdered in the boat by Edgeworth. We were shown that prologue to make us think that that was how the victim was killed. That technique was used in a lot of other cases, such as Turnabout Memories.

Some prologues give us a blast from the past, like in Turnabout Beginnings. It does show a murder, but not the current case's murder. Instead, it gives us a perfect enactment of an older and related case.

In that particular prologue, it shows us the importance and significance of the bridge.

On the DS games, prologues got a lot more exciting. In Apollo's third case, Turnabout Serenade, the prologue has nothing to do with the murder. It just shows something arbitrary that happened before the murder.

That prologue is there purely to create the setting and give us an idea of what's going on.

Finally, in Turnabout Reminicense, we learn about something that happens before the murder. A trial....

This is to deceive us into thinking that Faraday and Mack want to kill each other. When they were killed, they were made to look like they killed each other at the same time. The prologue emphasises the likelihood of that happening. It's also a very exciting prologue that builds tension.

So what have we learned? Were you even paying attention? Will I have to give you a detention after school?
  • Prologues shouldn't recite what happened at the murder (unless there's a reason for them to do so).
  • Prologues can deceive players, to make them believe that something else happened.
  • Prologues can be used to set the scene, to show where the protagonist is and what's going on.
  • Prologues should have more emphasis on the defendant than the victim.
  • Prologues can give a back-story to the case.
  • Prologues shouldn't give away too much information.
An extra bonus would be to include images in your prologue. They don't have to be detailed.

Also, remember to use timers in your prologue. You can have some interactive bits at the end, like in Turnabout Sisters, but they should always include timers at the start.
Nevfx

Re: Meph's Handy Tips #2: Prologues

Post by Nevfx »

Only problem is, I cant make good picture for my prologue.

Admitidly, in my next trial, my prologue doesnt show the murder... But nevertheless XD

Do you think a prologue should always have timers? Do you think a prologue could be one a player has to click through?
polocatfan
Spoken languages: US English

Post by polocatfan »

Ya i'm not good at drawing either...
Meph

Post by Meph »

Nevfx wrote:Do you think a prologue should always have timers? Do you think a prologue could be one a player has to click through?
Prologues should always include timers at the start, but you could have some interactive bits afterwards, like in Turnabout Sisters.
Ya i'm not good at drawing either...
You don't have to have pictures. It's fine if you just use dialogue, but that's not the point. The point is:- You shouldn't recite the murder in your prologue unless there's a reason why you should.
polocatfan

Post by polocatfan »

Dang *edits trial!*
Nevfx

Post by Nevfx »

Hmmm... I wonder how I'm gonna do this....

OK. My next prologue is going to include the playable character talking to someone, which you can interact in (I dont mean examine, present and all that, just some talking).
polocatfan

Post by polocatfan »

Ya and mines only 4 panels long.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Nevfx wrote:OK. My next prologue is going to include the playable character talking to someone, which you can interact in (I dont mean examine, present and all that, just some talking).
You just mean the proceed button? :) If you can see the person that you're talking to, then you can do that, yes.
Nevfx

Post by Nevfx »

OK then.

Is that timer part allowed to just be the playable character talking to themself?
Meph

Post by Meph »

Of course. ;)

But the point that I'm trying to get across is about the content of the prologue, not the timers. :P
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

Are my prologues passable? I do have a black screen and all...
Nevfx

Post by Nevfx »

Hmmm... I had to change mine. Because it wasnt vague enough.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Mimi Mika wrote:Are my prologues passable? I do have a black screen and all...
This isn't some sort of criteria. :P It's just a tip for your future trials. ;)
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

Very good guide there. :)

I must admit, some of my old trials had rather laughable prologues, about the event of the murder. :calisto:

I find it more interesting now to just have a vague uncovering of the motive rather than the crime itself.

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
Nevfx

Post by Nevfx »

I am no good at them. I don't know how to make a good prologue.