Implementing Perceive

Find detailed help from the AAO community, or write your own tutorials.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Thursday
Spoken languages: English, Tagalog, Some French

Implementing Perceive

Post by Thursday »

How to Implement Perceive
Seeing as how Unas says there aren't any immediate plans to add a Perceive system, and I'll be needing Perceive sooner or later (as does anyone else making AJ trials), I've decided to come up with my own way to do it.
Beware, as this guide requires you to have a good knowledge of the editor, so if you're a total newb here, I don't suggest reading this until you make a quick trial or two.

1. Resources
You'll need a few external items to recreate the look and feel of Perceive segments.
Spoiler : Spoiler'd to save space :
Perceive Background
Of course, a boring black background isn't the same as the iconic Amazing Technicolour Battlefield, is it? It seems sites like court records are missing this, so I went and ripped it myself.
Note that I went through a lot of trouble ripping this from the game, and the looping isn't perfect.
I'll update this with a better version whenever I can.

Perceive Character Zoom
No examples to stay spoiler-free
Perhaps the most vital graphic in Perceiving, this is where players will be looking for that nervous tic.

• If you're using a character from AJ that's been Perceived, then lucky you, you can just go over to court records, save their Perceive graphics, and upload them to your image hosting site of choice.
The problem with this is that people who've played through AJ will already know where to look, so if you can, try one of the other options below.

• If you have some experience with imaging programs, you can open up the desired character's pose, enlarge it, apply grayscale, and edit it a bit to show the nervous tic. Save a still png without the habit showing, and a gif with the habit.

• Of course, if you feel confident enough in your art abilities, you can always draw it yourself. Remember that Perceive graphics are usually 512 x 512 if you choose to do this.

• Using a custom character or pose, and don't feel you have the time or skill to make your own graphic? You can always request one at the Art thread, or PM someone you think can help.

Animated Gotcha! Bubble
The iconic shout bubble that pops up when you think you've found the habit.
If you're not a big fan of the default static bubble, then this is for you.
This is yet another graphic that seems to be missing, so here I've went and animated it myself.

If any of the above graphics are broken, let me know and I'll re-upload them
Now for the hard part: actually setting up the structure of the system.
I'll divide it into three sections, for organization and ease of viewing.

2. First Steps
Here are the primary steps that'll set everything up.
Spoiler : 1. :
Directly after your Cross-Examination's title, and before the actual Cross-Examination Block, create a blank frame with a timer of about 50 centiseconds. This will be the "redirection frame", as you'll need to return to the start of the CE a few times, and skipping directly to a CE statement is buggy.
Spoiler : 2. :
On the first frame in each of your Press Conversations, set its action to "Answer a question (2 answers)". Answer No. 1 should say, "Press", and Answer No. 2, "Perceive". The target frames will be set later on.
Spoiler : 3. :
Add two new frames under the last one. These two will be the frames that the last one will redirect to, so you can fill in those two fields now.
4. All Perceive frames must be between the "Perceive" and "Press" 'start' blocks. Press frames will be after those frames, starting with the "Perceive" 'start' block. This will organize the Perceive and Press section of the Testimony Statement into two segments.

3. Perceiving the Wrong Statement(s)
This is how the actual perceiving will be done, on statements that don't have the habit.

1. Using the first few frames of the Perceive segment, display the Testimony Statement, divided into several blocks. To do this:
Spoiler : a) :
On the first frame, type in the first couple of words in green font. Set the speed to somewhere between 0.2-0.4. Also, don't forget to set the character, music, and background on this frame.
Spoiler : b) :
On the subsequent frames, type in the words from the last frames and add the new words. Like before, set the font to green, but use <white></white> on all of the words from previous frames. Set the speed the same as Step 1a).
For example:
I bought
<white>I bought<white> two potatoes
<white>I bought two potatoese</white> and a bottle of ketchup.
Link each of the frames with Answer a Question (2 answers). Answer No. 1 should be "Continue", and the second "Examine". The redirection of the first answer should be the next frame, and the redirection for the second answer will be set in Step 3.
Spoiler : 2.a) :
On the last of the Statement frames, the first answer should instead be "Finish" and redirect to the frame in Step 2b).
Spoiler : 2.b) :
Add a new frame after the previous one, and have it as "Answer a Question (2 answers)". Answer No. 1 should read "Replay" and redirect to the first Statement frame; No. 2 should be "Back" and redirect to the "redirection frame" in Section 2.
Create the Perceive Close-up. Add a new frame after the last Statement frame, and set the action to "Examine an area of an image". Put in the URL of your character's Perceive Close-Up. The redirection frames will be set in Step 4.

Go back to the Statement frames and enter this frame's number in the second redirection frame.
Spoiler : 4. :
Add a new frame to start the Incorrect Perceive frame. Since this section deals with perceiving the wrong statements, set both of the last frame's redirection fields to this one.
5. In the following frames, starting with the one from Step 4, add in the conversation for an incorrect Perceive. After that, you can start the Press conversation in the frame you entered earlier.
Spoiler : 6. :
Have the last frame of the conversation redirect to the "redirection frame" from the last section. To keep it from running into the Press conversation, of course.
4. Perceiving the Right Statement
Now, these are the steps for perceiving the correct statement.

1. Follow the same steps from Section 3. However, there will be some big changes.
After the Incorrect Perceive Conversation frames, create a new frame with "Examine an area of an image". This is the 'correct' Examine Image frame.
Go to the correct part of the Testimony Statement and set its redirection to the correct Examine frame. So, for example if the correct section of your statement to be Examined is "two potatoes", then you go to the frame that added those words and change its second redirection to correct Examine frame.
Spoiler : 4. :
On the correct Examine frame, set the coordinates of the habit, and have it redirect accordingly. Paste in the URL of the close-up with the animated habit. Have "Frame to go to if failure" redirect to the incorrect Perceive Conversation. "Frame to go to if success" redirects to the first frame after the Cross-Examination Block, because, like finding a contradiction, this should exit the CE entirely and continue the story.
Example
If you do the steps correctly (and I've written them down correctly, too), it should play out similar to his example trial.
Beware: AJ spoilers!
(Please excuse the bad jokes. I was bored :P )

- - -

Well, hopefully I've written this guide without any errors.
If you spot one, please point it out and I'll correct it.
Also, feel free to send your feedback, pals :D
Last edited by Thursday on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

Day 2 - Trial COMPLETE and Playable now!
Court-Records
Spoken languages: English

Re: Guide: Implementing Perceive

Post by Court-Records »

That trial...
SO GOOD.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Wow Thursday, this is definitely a great guide, but considering it's the perceive system in implementation with CE's, you might want to provide screenshots of how the steps would look like in the editor (granted, it takes much more time to screenshot and upload, and post an image) so that it will save ALOT of headaches.

Steps 3 and 4 are a bit confusing, could you word them a little better please?

Also, your perceive background...WOW, it's really smooth! Definitely a great resource, you should probably ask Unas to upload this for the editor (though granted, not many people will make use of it unless it's an AJ trial, just like you said in the beginning of the OP)

This is also a nice guide because you've actually utilized the "perceive" character sprite close-ups that AJ has, though granted, that itself is hard to pull off.

I like it, though it might be easier to follow if you had screenshots for this guide.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Impressive, Thursday!
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Ryu Ushiromiya
Spoken languages: American English, Español (Puerto Rico)

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

Nice guide, thanks! :awesome:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! CLICK HERE PLEASE?
Apologies if I do not reply in a timely manner. Sig by Tap!

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

This is a PERFECT guide on doing perceive.

The problem with this is... (and it's out of your control)...
This actually requires making sprites from scratch or using AJ sprites. The only one that exists on CR is Kristoph's (why only Kristoph, idk).

Nice demo. Turnabout Jerk *snigger*
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

That's one day to do it... of course it's still completely different from AJ.
You have to guess where in the statement it will probably be, and once the correct part is found it will be easy to spot. (due to full view)

But with the current editor there's not really a better way to do it, so... nice guide.
I'm glad that I'm not planning on using perceive anytime soon. (and I've actually prepared proper plot excuses to justify that! xD)

Also that trial was hilarious. xD
Ryu Ushiromiya

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

E.D.Revolution wrote:This is a PERFECT guide on doing perceive.

This actually requires making sprites from scratch or using AJ sprites. The only one that exists on CR is Kristoph's (why only Kristoph, idk).

Dude, this is AAO. Who says you have to do the whole giant sprite thing? XD

Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Whoo, thanks for the quick feedback guys!
Also, I actually spent more time on the example than actually writing the guide :lol:

@Phantom
Yeah, I'd like to re-word Sections 3 and 4 myself, actually. I sort of sped through writing those sections and reading them now, it's pretty confusing. Probably tomorrow, as I'm about to have Easter dinner.

@Blackrune
Yeah, it is pretty easy. I just wanted to emulate the games as closely as possible.
I actually based most of this off of the one Tap used in Justice's Memoirs, which (IIRC) didn't use any close-up sprites.

nekonohime
Spoken languages: American English

Post by nekonohime »

Thanks for this guide! I've been thinking about using the Perceive system on my game, so this is going to be VERY helpful!
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Ryu Ushiromiya wrote:

*facepalm*
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Thursday wrote:Whoo, thanks for the quick feedback guys!
Also, I actually spent more time on the example than actually writing the guide :lol:

@Phantom
Yeah, I'd like to re-word Sections 3 and 4 myself, actually. I sort of sped through writing those sections and reading them now, it's pretty confusing. Probably tomorrow, as I'm about to have Easter dinner.

@Blackrune
Yeah, it is pretty easy. I just wanted to emulate the games as closely as possible.
I actually based most of this off of the one Tap used in Justice's Memoirs, which (IIRC) didn't use any close-up sprites.

It's still a great guide for a first time, nice job Thursday (though I still recommend using screenshots too, especially since steps 3 and 4 currently might be the most intimidating thing to do in all of the steps xP)
Thursday

Post by Thursday »

Yeah, screenshots will be coming.
Print Screen Button: D:

Ryu Ushiromiya

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

E.D.Revolution wrote:
Ryu Ushiromiya wrote:

*facepalm*
Annoying you can be fun at times. :awesome:

No seriously, my point is that it's up to the individual trial authors to implement common features like Perceiving or Psyche-Locks in their own ways. As long as the core feature or idea remains, you could think of a million ways Apollo could Perceive, for example, or Edgeworth can apply logic to detect flaws or mistakes in a crime scene or testimony, such as in GK2 with Logic Chess. Point is, it's all subjective.

"YOU'RE OVERTHINKING IT!" --Barry, American Dad. :awesome:

E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I'm just saying what is implied, that's all. Why write a whole explanation that has no meaning to me?