Art Questions and Answers:

Read and write tutorials about becoming a great artist.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Re: Art Questions and Answers:

Post by DWaM »

Nah, that limit isn't an issue - apparently it just makes them... invisible, or something (but not impossible to access or even limited to sharing considering I can access all of them just fine so I don't know what's up with that - it probably means that people can't see them publicly on your profile or something). The issue would lie in the 'no views in six months = image deletion rule', I think. But even that could be hopefully taken care of...
Tap

Post by Tap »

DWaM wrote:Nah, that limit isn't an issue - apparently it just makes them... invisible, or something (but not impossible to access or even limited to sharing considering I can access all of them just fine so I don't know what's up with that - it probably means that people can't see them publicly on your profile or something). The issue would lie in the 'no views in six months = image deletion rule', I think. But even that could be hopefully taken care of...
As long as someone plays your trial in six months time, you're fine. :P
ImageImage
Aer

Post by Aer »

I've heard bad things of Photobucket (I used to use it until I experienced the bad stuff, myself).
I usually use sadpanda, but it seems to be failing as of late. I think I'll be making a lot of sprites in the future, so I won't use Imgur, I suppose.
Honestly, I would prefer a site like sadpanda, where you don't have to make an account and uploading is swift and easy, but if there are no others like it, I'll have to start looking into those other sites you guys suggested.
--
I like to scratch sprite. Feel free to ask if you need anything :3
Not very experienced at backgrounds, action shots, nor evidence, but I'd love to try.
nahu0093
Spoken languages: Español y algo de ingles

Post by nahu0093 »

How can I make Sheets from the 0?
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

About "drawing" sprites. I can often see smooth lines, but still having limited number of colors, mostly speaking of zoom sprites and AAI-style sprites.

How can I do that?
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

nahu0093 wrote:How can I make Sheets from the 0?
First create a sprite with animations and then copy paste all the frames into a sheet.
Sligneris wrote:About "drawing" sprites. I can often see smooth lines, but still having limited number of colors, mostly speaking of zoom sprites and AAI-style sprites.

How can I do that?
The easiest way is to first draw the picture and then change it into indexed colors, not the other way around. Using this method your computer automatically picks the colors that are closest to your original drawing. If you have drawn smooth lines then that's what you see in the sprite as well. With normal sprites this is less noticeable because lines are so thin and with AAI spites it's simply because DS sprites can have bigger palettes than GBA ones.
nahu0093

Post by nahu0093 »

Thanks you Singidava
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

How can I easily change or set animation's palette or easily apply one to several animations?

Also, can I change "default" setting of saving gifs in Gimp? I hate ticking in every time for the program to save it as an animation...
Last edited by Sligneris on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alnar
Spoken languages: ??????

Post by Alnar »

Are we talking about recoloring sprites? I don't know how to change the colors of every single frame/layer per say, and you might already know this, but I just untick Contiguous in the paint bucket of Photoshop, set Tolerance to 1, and just change the sprite's colors.
I'm sure there's a way to do it exactly as you want, but I don't know myself. (Heck I don't know if we're talking about recoloring exactly.)
nahu0093

Post by nahu0093 »

I can draw a sprite on a large sheet of paper and then scan it and minimize their size?
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Sligneris wrote:How can I easily change or set animation's palette or easily apply one to several animations?
In Gimp you can actually save palettes. Then you can set them on your image.

First open the picture with the palette you want and go to "pallettes" dialog. If you don't see one just go Windows > Dockable dialogs > Palettes. The uppermost palette in the palette window should be the one that your picture currently has. If you don't see it, you need to change your image to indexed color first. When you have found the correct pallette, click edit and another dialog opens. In that window you have a save button at the bottom. Click it and now you should be able to use the palette with the other pictures as well. Now open the animation/indexed picture you want to apply this palette to. Go to Image > Mode > RBG and then again Image > Mode > Indexed to change the palette. A window pops up asking which palette to use. Click "Use own palette". Then click the picture of the palette to open a palette list. You should be able to find the palette you saved there. Choose it and then just click OK. Now your image uses the palette you saved.
nahu0093 wrote:I can draw a sprite on a large sheet of paper and then scan it and minimize their size?
Sure, but if you use a paper you need to know how to scan it and clean the background away properly. Personally, I usually make a sketch on paper and just trace the lines, do the coloring and then minimize it on computer. Anyway, if you're doing a scratch sprite I actually recommend drawing the picture big first before changing it to sprite size. It's just easier that way.
For more details, you can read my tutorial on scratch spirinting at http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... =51&t=4137
nahu0093

Post by nahu0093 »

Sprites can be drawn as a comic or Anime or Format?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

^Vectors are the ideal methods for drawing things for comics or anime. Sprites...not so much as they usually have a color/pallete limit to them.
mAc Chaos

Post by mAc Chaos »

Here's a question. How do you guys make your animated sprites without having the edges of the lines be all jaggy?

It seems there is no way around it with GIFs and yet I see sprites that don't have that problem.
The wolf knows what the ill heart thinks.
@mAcChaos

BEHOLD, the ULTIMATE CASE: MACFIA, an epic journey through time and space.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

mAc Chaos wrote:Here's a question. How do you guys make your animated sprites without having the edges of the lines be all jaggy?

It seems there is no way around it with GIFs and yet I see sprites that don't have that problem.
Can you provide visual examples? I don't really get what you mean.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)