Animator's Guide - Making Fade Animation using GIMP/PS

Read and write tutorials about becoming a great artist.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Animator's Guide - Making Fade Animation using GIMP/PS

Post by E.D.Revolution »

For any good author, you will want to employ some fading animations for either dramatic effect or introduction or whatever the situation calls for it. As of now, v5 doesn't give you the ability to fade and v6 likely won't have it either. So the only way to have fades is to make it yourself.

30 June 2020 Edit: AAO does have fade support but not foreground fade support.

Before you start making your fading animation, I have to warn you: the quality will go down. It is unavoidable due the nature of the .gif format not handling transparencies well. If you plan to use the .apng method, the quality will stay the same as the sum of the images. However, the file size will increase exponentially.

30 June 2020 Edit: APNG is natively supported by Chromium and its forks (Chrome, Puffin, Brave, etc) since 2015.

Now, there are a few things to consider about fades:
  • How do you want it to fade? Do you want fade-to-black? Fade-to-white? Or even fade-to-another-image? For this, you need your start and end images.
  • How long do you want your fade? The most optimal fades last for 1-2 seconds.
  • How many frames of animation do you want this to last? A fade needs at least 3 frames to work. Ideally, you should go for 4, 5, 10 or 20 frame fades.
This is going to involve some math, so before we get to the technical details, let's do a few math exercises.
Math and conversion exercises
Let's start off with some easy math problems.

Exercise 1:
I want my animation to run for a whole second. I think it should run for 10 frames. What is the frame delay, in milliseconds?
Spoiler : Answer :
The correct response: 100 ms or 0.1 seconds.
1.000 seconds/10 frames = 0.1 seconds. 1000 ms=1 s. Therefore 0.1 s = 100 ms
Exercise 2:
I am tinkering with a frame delay. I'm experimenting with a 25 cs frame delay. I'm not sure how long I want the animation to run, but let's say I want it to run for 8 frames. How long is the animation?
The correct response: 2 seconds
25 cs * 8 frames = 200cs. 100cs=1sec, therefore 200 cs = 2 seconds.

Frame rates and frame delays:
For cross-browser compatibility, the ideal framerate should be at least 3 frames/second or 0.33 seconds per frame. This is to optimize viewing times for all browsers, inlcuding, yes, Internet Explorer. However, it should be no faster than 30 frames per second or 0.03 seconds/frame.

To convert fps to seconds per frame, take the reciprocal of framerate and express it in terms of seconds/frame. In the framerate above it is 3 frames/1 second. Flip the fraction and you get 1 second/3 frames. Meaning, for every second that passes, three frames will have played.

To convert this into a frame delay (meaning how long that frame is displayed before going to the next one), convert the fraction to a decimal. You will have to use decimals and then convert to either centiseconds or milliseconds. 1/3 is approximately 0.333.

Exercise 3:
After many mathematical experiments, I found that the best fades run at a rate of 5 frames/2 seconds. How long should the frame delay be, in milliseconds?
The correct response: 400 milliseconds per frame.
5 frames/2 seconds. Flip the fraction to 2 seconds/5 frames (2 seconds over five frames). Convert the fraction into a decimal to get 0.4 seconds per frame. Convert to milliseconds to get 400 milliseconds.

Transparency and opacity in GIMP:
Since fading involves opacity, we will have to do some opacity problems. The good thing about opacity in GIMP is that it starts from 100.0 and ends at 0.0. Yes, they're decimals for a reason: fine tuning the opacity. You will want to know what the opacity should be at each step. For the purposes of the guide, they are expressed as percentages. Although GIMP does not treat opacity as a percentage, treat it as such.

You might be asking... What is opacity good for? Actually, it's good for transparency purposes. The lower the opacity, the higher the transparency of the image. 100% opacity means a solid image. 0% opacity means no image (meaning totally transparent). Fades happen when you transition the image from total opacity to total transparency.

But first, let's start by finding out how much the opacity should change per frame. This guide assumes you will start at 100% opacity. TO find the change of opacity, express the change in this fraction: Starting Opacity/number of frames. The result will be your percent change of opacity.

Exercise 4:
I want my fade to run for 4 frames. What is the percent change of opacity per frame?
The correct response: 25%
The fraction is 100% opacity/4 frames. This give you a 25% change of opacity per frame.

Opacity per step:
Let's take things up a notch. After doing some of these problems, you will want to know the what the opacity should be at certain frames. So do the same thing. But for each layer, starting from the second to last going up, increase the opacity of the frame by that change of opacity.

When you do these problems, it helps that you exclude the start frame, for the opacity of that will be 0.0%. However, you will need to add one more frame than the fade is supposed to last. So if the fade is supposed to go for 4 frames, you will need 5 frames of animation. You will be calculating starting from the second-to-bottom layer and going up.

So basically: Total frames of animation = frames of fade + start frame. Or frames of fading = total frames - start frame

Exercise 5:
I want my fade to last 8 frames, not including the start frame. What is the percent change of opacity per frame? And what should the opacity be per frame?
Spoiler : :
First answer: 12.5% opacity.
100% opacity/8 frames = 12.5% change of opacity per frame.

Second answer:

Code: Select all

Top: 100.0%
Layer 7: 87.5%
Layer 6: 75.0%
Layer 5: 62.5%
Layer 4: 50.0%
Layer 3: 37.5%
Layer 2: 25.0%
Layer 1: 12.5%
Bottom: 0%
You need 9 frames for this but you will start at "layer 1" and add as you go up.

The last exercise takes all the lessons from the previous 5 exercises and puts it into one problem. This is something you'll have to do when you plan your fades.

Exercise 6:
To make sure this fade works with my trial, I need it to last 2 seconds at 12.5 fps. How many frames total do I need? How many frames of fade will I have? What is the frame delay per frame? What will be the percent change of opacity? Per frame?
First answer: 25 frames.
2 seconds * (12.5 frames/second) -> 2 seconds * 12.5 frames/second) = 25 frames

Second answer: 24 frames.
Remember, you discount the first frame because that's your base.

Third answer:
25 frames/second. Flip to get 1 second/25 frames. The decimal value is 0.04 seconds or 40 ms.

Fourth answer: 4.167%.
100%/24 frames = approx. 4.167% per frame. Round it to the nearest 0.1% after you add it and put it into the frames. Which means...

Fifth answer:

Top: 100%
Layer 23: 95.8%
Layer 22: 91.7%
Layer 21: 87.5%
Layer 20: 83.3%
Layer 19: 79.2%
Layer 18: 75.0% 
Layer 17: 70.8%
Layer 16: 66.7%
Layer 15: 62.5%
Layer 14: 58.3%
Layer 13: 54.2%
Layer 12: 50.0%
Layer 11: 45.8%
Layer 10: 41.7%
Layer 9: 37.5%
Layer 8: 33.3%
Layer 7: 29.2%
Layer 6: 25.0%
Layer 5: 20.8%
Layer 4: 16.7%
Layer 3: 12.5%
Layer 2: 8.3%
Layer 1: 4.2%
Bottom Layer (Background): 0%
Do some math problems. You will need this so you can animate the timings accurately.

The Animation Setup: GIF Method

For this section, I will assume the use of GIMP. It might be the same for Photoshop. If you plan to make this into APNGs, keep reading until the last step and then skip to the APNG method.

There are five steps to doing this
  1. Preparation. This means gather your images and do your calculations.
  2. Importing, Replication, Layering
  3. Adjusting opacity
  4. Reducing layers
  5. Finishing

Step 1: Preparation

Gather your start and end images. You should already what kind of fade you want and how long it should last. If not, do some math and make sure it's correct before you do this.

For the purposes of this guide, I'm going to do a fade-to-white that is to last 1 second over 10 frames, not including the starting frame. So I have my base bg and my white bg.

Step 2: Importing, Replication, Layering

Put your images as two layers. Then for each image, duplicate the layers until you end up with the same amount of frame for that image as the animation is suppose to run. So if you want your fade to run for 5 frames, make four duplicates of that image. In this case, I'll make 9 duplicate copies for 10 layers of that image since I want the fade to run for 10 frames.

Then layer it so that the ends (bottom and top layers) have the image name with no "copy". Then, order the images in decreasing order with the end copy on top and the base image underneath it. The layers should look like this

White bg
White bg Copy 9
Base bg Copy 9
White bg Copy 8
Base bg Copy 8
White bg Copy 7
Base bg Copy 7
White bg Copy 6
Base bg Copy 6
White bg Copy 5
Base bg Copy 5
White bg Copy 4
Base bg Copy 4
White bg Copy 3
Base bg Copy 3
White bg Copy 2
Base bg Copy 2
White bg Copy 
Base bg Copy 
Base bg
Spoiler : GIF of Step 2. Long animation, so pay attention :
Step 3: Adjusting Opacity

Starting with your end copy 1, adjust the opacity so that it matches your change in opacity. Then when you go up the layers (skip the base bg layers), add your change in opacity to the next one and so on until you reach the top.

In my case, I'll start with the White bg Copy (1 is implied) and start with 10% opacity. Skipping the Base BG copies, go the the subsequent White bg copies and increase the opacity by the change of opacity. So it should look like this.

White bg
White bg Copy 9 Opacity 90%
Base bg Copy 9
White bg Copy 8 Opacity 80%
Base bg Copy 8
White bg Copy 7 Opacity 70%
Base bg Copy 7
White bg Copy 6 Opacity 60%
Base bg Copy 6
White bg Copy 5 Opacity 50%
Base bg Copy 5
White bg Copy 4 Opacity 40%
Base bg Copy 4
White bg Copy 3 Opacity 30%
Base bg Copy 3
White bg Copy 2 Opacity 20%
Base bg Copy 2
White bg Copy Opacity 10%
Base bg Copy 
Base bg
Step 4: Reducing layers

Starting right below the top layer, merge down with the image below. Once merged down, that layer should look like there's a segment of a fade. After merging down, go down one layer and repeat the process. Make sure that you start your merge on the top layer copy, NOT the base bg layer copy. Repeat until you have no more top layer copies. You should have your top layer (end image), your bottom layer (start image) and then your fades in between.

In my case, I'll start with White bg Copy 9 (with opacity 90%), merge down. Once merged down, that layer should look like there's a segment of a fade. After merging down, I down one layer and repeat the process. I make sure to start on the white bg copy NOT the base bg copy. I'll repeat until I'm down to 9 layers (in decreasing order) of Base bg copies with the top being white. So the top layer should be the end layer (in this case, white) the bottom layer should be the original Base bg and in between the copies in decreasing order. Done correctly, I should have 10 animation frames of fading lasting for 11 frames. It should look like this:

White bg
Base bg Copy 9
Base bg Copy 8
Base bg Copy 7
Base bg Copy 6
Base bg Copy 5
Base bg Copy 4
Base bg Copy 3
Base bg Copy 2
Base bg Copy 
Base bg
IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE DOING THE .APNG METHOD, SKIP THE NEXT STEP AND GO TO THE NEXT SECTION
Spoiler : Animation for steps 3 and 4. Again, long animation :
Step 5: FINISHING

Then export/save as .gif. Make sure to save it as an animation. Check off "Interlace", "loop forever", "use delay entered for all frames", and "use disposal method for all frames". Then set the delay to what you got when you did your conversions for frame delay. In this case, it's 100 ms. This will set each frame will be 10 cs (100ms in v6) over 10 frames for a total of 1 second. For frame disposal where unspecified, choose "one frame per layer" aka "replace".

If you're savvy enough on GIMP, you can edit the name of the layer and enter the timing (in ms) and the delay. For example: Layer 1 (100 ms) (replace)
The Animation Setup: APNG method
You will do the same thing as the GIF method up until the 4th step. The next step is as follows. This assumes you have APNG Anime Maker

Export each frame as a png image. Label it so you know how to layer it.

Import the images to APNG Anime Maker. Layer it in the correct order with the base going first and the end going last. Hold and select all the images. Then set the delay to what ever you set it as, in milliseconds. Check "all" to set delay to all images (unless you want to adjust the start and end times). Set disposal to none. Set blend to source. Set your loop to 0 unless you want to control how many loops it runs. (0 means infinite).

Save your image.

Test your images on a browser to make sure it's working.

This is what a basic fade looks like: Image

HELPFUL TIPS!
  • The higher the framerate, the faster the fade animates. Inversely, the lower the framerate, the slower the fade animates.
  • The more frames you have in the fading animation, the crisper the fading animation is. Inversely, the less frames you have in the animation, the easier it is to animate.
  • The larger the frame delay, the slower the animation runs. It can sometimes end up looking choppy, especially if you have made mistakes. So it becomes imperative to have a relatively small frame delay.
  • To optimize browser compatibility, it's recommended that the frame delay should be no less than 0.03-0.05 s or 30-50 ms. If the frame delay is lower than that, it can cause problems with the browser. You should never put a frame delay of 0. By default, GIMP will make each frame have a frame delay of 100 ms, which is quite slow.
  • For advanced users, do not click the checkbox for "use delay entered for all frames". You should manually set the delay for the last frame, preferably at least 2 seconds to account for AAO's playing problems.

I hope this guide is useful for you. A fade is just one way to tell a story. Employing fades will exponentially increase the storytelling and presentation of your trial.
Last edited by E.D.Revolution on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Phantom

Re: Animator's Guide - Making Fade Animation using GIMP/PS

Post by Phantom »

Nice. Need some demos of this though (screenshots, AND an actual trial demo).
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

No trial demo. We know what a fade does. (People aren't as stupid as you think they are.) I agree with the screenshots... When I can get to them.

EDIT: I have something even better: a gif animation of the steps. Check it out.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

It'd be cool if yuo can show a comparison between what a high frame delaye gif file looks like, and a low frame delay gif file looks like, as it'll satisfy the tl;dr quite nicely
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

Gimp has a useful feature for this. For example, for a fade to white, you need three layers: Two completely white layers and one with your background in the middle. Then go to Filters -> Animation -> Blend and input the number of frames you want your animation to have -> done.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I might add this later, but I'll modify it. I am not sure why GIMP requires 3 layers when 2 is all you need. It seems idiotic unless someone changes the script-fu for it.

EDIT: I'm not sure how I feel about this method. Not only do I have the issue with the idiotic 3 layer requirement, but I've done some testing on it. I'm not sure the fade animation is accurate. Plus, it can be hard to accurately find the stop and end points. ESPECIALLY with the white bg as a start point. In fact, it doesn't start or end at a pure bg.

In many ways, this is how I feel about "letting the machine do the work for you" instead of controlling the quality yourself. If you want to do it quick, let the machine do the thinking for you. But if you want to do it right, you have to do it yourself.
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

There's a reason why it needs 3 layers, I can't explain this in English, but try it with the bottom layer being white and the other two layers being two different pictures, then you'll probably understand what each layer is used for.
I've used this for all the fades in Turnabout Dilemma and didn't notice any problems ... can you explain this in more detail, please?
You don't have to use this method, of course, but I think it would be good if you added it, because it's much faster and easier, and even though there is a slight difference due to it always fading "through" the bottom layer (though if you make the bottom layer what would be the frame in the middle in the animation it looks better), the difference isn't really that noticeable:
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I think there is a script-fu reason for this, is what I'm guessing. I mean, I would think it should only take two layers: the start and the end. I've used other programs and they only needed a minimum of two. With GIMP, you say the best way to use that tool would be to have the layers in this order: middle-of-animation frame, start, end. (or do I have that wrong?) I'll keep testing this later

But in any case, it is a viable solution. It's not a solution I like to use.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

That fade anim looks choppy btw. Something seems wrong with it, and not just the timer