Official AAO Competition: Paranormal Activity [WINNERS!]

Compete with other members to create the best art following a given theme.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

DarthWiader
Spoken languages: Polish, English

Official AAO Competition: Paranormal Activity [WINNERS!]

Post by DarthWiader »

(This competition is held under media patronage of "Oh!Cult" magazine)
Saiko only wanted to be noticed by her Senpai.
So, she removed all her rivals... by using her telekinetic abilities.
Ψ WINNERS! Ψ
ImageCongratulations!Image
ImageImage
SuperAJ3 and Ann-nna tied for first place with 6 votes! Next is TheDoctor with 4 votes (sorry, maybe next time...). As the rules (established by earlier precedents) allow, you can both co-host the next competition after coming to an agreement about the theme. One of you can also let the other one host the next competition. Thank you for participating!
Spoiler : voting rules :
Ψ VOTING PHASE Ψ
As we have only three contestants, you have only ONE vote. Post the nickname of your favourite competitor in bold. You cannot vote for yourself. The entry period will last for two weeks and will end on May 16.
Ψ ENTRIES Ψ
Spoiler : 1: TheDoctor :
Ian Visbull

Ian was a relatively normal person once, but everything changed when he got his powers. His powers of invisibility cause light to wrap around him instead of bouncing off of him, thus creating the illusion that he's invisible. Unfortunately, this means light can't hit his eyes, so he's completely blind. The only thing that allows him to see are the special glasses that were designed for him. These glasses have tiny cameras that wirelessly send the video feed directly to his brain, so he doesn't have the benefits of full invisibility, but he's pretty close.
Spoiler : 2: SuperAj3 :
Kay Ohva

Ever since Kay was born her family noticed she was different to normal kids. She'd seem as if she'd be talking to herself a lot, and would sometimes come home saying things that no one around her could've ever taught her. It wasn't until one day that an elderly monk explained that she had the power to see spirits, and she had been communicating with them. She also scares the living daylights out of Jinxie whenever she tells her stories of the ghosts and spirits she's met. She was made a special set of glasses which help tune in and out her vision of spirits, so she can focus on the real world, and not get distracted by any wandering spirits.

Fun fact: Her name is a play on "Obake" (Japanese for "ghost") when reversed. "Ohva Kay" - オウバ・ケー
Spoiler : 3: Ann-nna :
Her name is Lola Bell. She can hypnotize people with her eyes and voice. She also uses a ring adorned with a little bell to help her sometimes.
Spoiler : original post :
In the long history of the Ace Attorney series, there were multiple instances of paranormal or spiritual phenomena, some of which have been even acknowledged by the court of law. So far, we have seen spirit mediums who completely change their psychical appearance during spirit channeling, mystical beads that allow their owners to see through people's secrets, ghosts, lawyers with strengthened senses, divination séances, etc., etc... But who's to say that this list is complete? There may be many people in the world of Ace Attorney with hidden supernatural abilities. So, this time your task is to create an AA-like sprite depicting an original character who possesses some kind of psychic/paranormal/spiritual power.
Ψ RULES Ψ
  • Only ORIGINAL CHARACTERS are allowed this time, although feel free to be inspired by already existing famous characters from any media. An OC who is somehow related to a canon character is also passable. Submissions must be more than a palette swap of an existing Ace Attorney character.
  • All sprites that are entered should be made specifically for this competition.
  • Both scratch and frankenspriting are acceptable.
  • You can submit a whole sheet, animation(s), or just one sprite.
  • You may submit as many entries as you wish, but keep in mind they will all be judged individually and thus you might just be taking votes away from yourself.
  • You may sprite two characters in one entry if necessary (think of Machi and Lamiroir for example).
  • You should choose one distinctive power/ability, or, in extremis, a set of few closely related powers (for example, a clairvoyant may have also both precognitive and retrocognitive skills). Don't submit an overpowered character with a bunch of completely unrelated powers. If you want to display an ability that doesn't manifest physically, please try to convey your meaning via sprite poses, items (crystal balls, voodoo dolls, pendulums, etc.) or other characters' reactions.
  • Giving your entry a name and a short bio to explain their life and nature of their powers is highly suggested.
  • Your characters can use their powers for good or evil.
  • The entry submission period will last from March 6th to April 30th. The deadline can be extended if necessary. Voting period will last for two weeks after submission close. The judging method will be a poll. As in previous competitions, the winner will have the privilege of hosting the next competition in the series.
  • As long as the submission period lasts, you have the right to update and improve your sprite.
Ψ SUGGESTIONS Ψ
There are dozens of (alleged) psychic powers you could pick up to base an your character around.
Here's a totally inexhaustive list of ideas that might help you out:
  • Apportation (an ability to undergo materialization, disappearance or teleportation of an object)
  • Automatic writing or psychography (an ability allowing a person to produce written words without consciously writing; the words are claimed to arise from a subconscious, spiritual or supernatural source)
  • Telekinesis or psychokinesis (an ability to manipulate objects by way of extrasensory perception; for unknown reasons, despite the vast potential of this power, most psychics use it to bend metal spoons)
  • Pyrokinesis (an ability to manipulate fire)
  • Time manipulation
  • Clairvoyance (an ability to perceive person, object, location, and physical events through extrasensory perception)
  • Thoughtography (an ability to "burn" images from one's mind onto surfaces such as photographic film by psychic means)
  • Casting curses
  • Levitation
  • Psychometry (an ability to obtain information about a person or object, usually by touch)
  • Mind control or mind hacking
  • Reality warping
  • Magnokinesis (an ability to generate and control magnetic fields and, in consequence, to manipulate metal objects)
  • Astral projection
  • Telepathy (an the ability to transfer or receive thoughts mentally through extrasensory perception)
  • ...and many, many others
Last edited by DarthWiader on Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.
I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
— Stanisław Lem
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Official AAO Competition: Paranormal Activity

Post by kwando1313 »

Oooh, interesting theme. Hope we get some cool sprites this time!

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Post by TheDoctor »

I have the perfect idea for this comp. I'll try and work on my entry as soon as I get a chance.
Image Image Image
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

THIS will be fun...
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

I have a few ideas for thid but no time... :gumshoe:
I still want to enter your CR comp too!
I'll see if I can!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

Nice and interesting theme!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Finished my entry...
Ian Visbull

Ian was a relatively normal person once, but everything changed when he got his powers. His powers of invisibility cause light to wrap around him instead of bouncing off of him, thus creating the illusion that he's invisible. Unfortunately, this means light can't hit his eyes, so he's completely blind. The only thing that allows him to see are the special glasses that were designed for him. These glasses have tiny cameras that wirelessly send the video feed directly to his brain, so he doesn't have the benefits of full invisibility, but he's pretty close.
Image Image Image
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Nice meme.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

One of the most detailed sprites I've ever seen!!! :judge: :judge: :judge:
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Cortonith
Spoken languages:  

Post by Cortonith »

Had one of my characters on my mind. I'm doing it later on. However, I'm anxious that my character will be that overpowered due to the list kind of hitting my character, oh well... I shall submit my main character for later.

Oi. The topic started on my birthday. I'm kind of feeling good for this... or not.
Currently on massive training. The only way to contact me for now is Discord.
DarthWiader

Post by DarthWiader »

TheDoctor wrote:Finished my entry...
Ian Visbull

100% scientifically accurate :wink:.
I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
— Stanisław Lem
Glen Elg

Post by Glen Elg »

Wow, I have no idea how we're gonna compete with this.
DarthWiader

Post by DarthWiader »

You just cannot see your chances of winning? ;)
— Stanisław Lem
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

I don't see what you mean.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

SuperAj3 wrote:One of the most detailed sprites I've ever seen!!! :judge: :judge: :judge:
DarthWiader wrote:You just cannot see your chances of winning? ;)
Nicky Boy wrote:I don't see what you mean.
I see what you did there.
Image Image Image