[Suggestion] Center names?

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Kyon
Spoken languages: English, Polish, Japanese

[Suggestion] Center names?

Post by Kyon »

As you might be aware, in the games, the character names are centered, and in the Editor/Player they're automatically left-alligned. Even if you try to put spaces in the "displayed name" tab, they're automatically forced to the left of the name tab above the text box. Is it possible to either make it so the names are centered automatically, or add an option to center them?
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Re: [Suggestion] Center names?

Post by E.D.Revolution »

That's actually because there's specific graphics for those names. Also, have you noticed that some of the names are a bit... "squished"? That is also because there is custom text to fix it all in there. I would rather have fonts that try to recreate the graphical feel rather than have simply arial.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [Suggestion] Center names?

Post by Unas »

Centering the name is certainly possible, it's actually very simple to do. However, I don't intend to have a setting for that : if I change it, I change it for everyone. :-)

As for having a specific font, well... if you provide it to me, why not ! But designing a font is a very time consuming work, I certainly won't do it.
Even simply resizing a font is already a pain - I had to do for the regular PW font we're currently using, as the sizing of the font that could be found online was way too big (like 10px on this font was equivalent to 12 or 13 in a regular font, messing up my layout calculations), and I remember spending a lot of time on it.

And additionally, the main problem to reproduce the look and feel of these name boxes is not the font, but rather the variable letter spacing - since as you say in the games the letters are squished when a name is long.
I might be able to do that dynamically (CSS offers the ability to control the letter spacing), but it'd be lots of trouble for something in the end less readable than the current solution of just expanding the box as needed.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )