[Suggestion] Finished, Private Trials

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Reverie
Spoken languages: English

[Suggestion] Finished, Private Trials

Post by Reverie »

Let's say you have a trial with two trial parts. In the first part, there would be a confrontation againt the culprit. In the second trial, you fond out that they weren't, in fact, the culprit, and the true culprit is found. In this case, you'd want the second trial to be hidden, as it would give away the fact that the fake culprit isn't the true culprit (unless the final confrontation was just really long.)
Essentially, the suggestion is for a third "public?" option, in addition to the "yes" and "no" options. It could be called "unlisted," I guess. The only way to access the trial is to be given a link, or proceed to it with the "advance to another trial" thing at the end of a previous part.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [Suggestion] Finished, Private Trials

Post by Unas »

The handling of series in V6 will be subject to important improvements once AAO moves to a new database schema (which will happen when I decide to drop V5 entirely).
In particular, trial series should have a specific display in the search page - avoiding the current pitfall of having the most recent trials (which are likely the latest part of a series) appearing on top.

But I don't think it would be a good idea for parts of a trial to be "unlisted" : it removes the ability for a user to simply think "oh, I stopped at part 2, let's resume the game", and forces him to use game saves or at least remember the link of the target part.
Unless in some specific cases where it'd be justified (like games with variables carried over and such), I think it's not good. I wish for the player to have as much control as possible on his gaming experience as far as his comfort is concerned - and I feel that being able to choose at which chapter to resume is part of that ;-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Another option is to orient the player around series instead of around trials. What I mean is that you open a series as a whole and then select individual chapters. This could even work well together with my other suggestion.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

GanonZD wrote:Another option is to orient the player around series instead of around trials. What I mean is that you open a series as a whole and then select individual chapters. This could even work well together with my other suggestion.
Actually, that's kind of what I meant : incorporating a series as one big entry in the search results, rather than split its trials apart.
Also, though I didn't say it here, creating a landing for a series is also part of my plans - though at first it will only contain basic information (like the list of trials and such). Again, all the new information you mentioned in the other topic will not be added until I decide to drop V5 - even though they are all good ideas :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )