[Sugg.][✗] Avancements & Default Backgrounds for Characters

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Reverie
Spoken languages: English

[Sugg.][✗] Avancements & Default Backgrounds for Characters

Post by Reverie »

I can't really think of any way to summarise this one, but... two suggestions;

1. Avancements to be brought back. I found them quite useful, but I guess they were removed because they were never meant to be used, or something. Still, I have missed them, and I haven't found an alternative to them.
2. In the short time I used V5, I remember that any given character could be given a default background for whenever they were on-screen while editing trials. Reimplementing this would be pretty useful too.

Yes.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [Sugg.] Avancements and Default Backgrounds for Characte

Post by Unas »

Spyromed wrote:1. Avancements to be brought back. I found them quite useful, but I guess they were removed because they were never meant to be used, or something. Still, I have missed them, and I haven't found an alternative to them.
avancement, you mean the link to jump to a specific frame ?
It was meant to be used at the time, but it was removed because V6 player has an infinitely better tool now, the debugger. Just type the id of the frame you want to go to in the debugger, and you're good - and if you needed anything to be revealed at the time, the debugger lets you tweak it in real time.
Spyromed wrote:2. In the short time I used V5, I remember that any given character could be given a default background for whenever they were on-screen while editing trials. Reimplementing this would be pretty useful too.
I'm not sure it's the way I want to go in V6 - I have other ideas to make the workflow faster though, I know that having to set the place manually every time is time consuming.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Regarding avancements, I meant using them for others' trials, not just to playtest your own.
I just tried ToC's final trial, adding "&debug" at the end of the URL, but it just runs as a normal V6 trial.
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

I don't think it's a good feature to allow people to skip anywhere in someone's trial. It causes some issues with variables, for one.

Reverie

Post by Reverie »

I just found it better than nothing; I find myself wanting to replay trials a lot, and being able to skip to the frame I want to start playing from was always nice, even if there were a few variable issues...
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Spyromed wrote:Regarding avancements, I meant using them for others' trials, not just to playtest your own.
I just tried ToC's final trial, adding "&debug" at the end of the URL, but it just runs as a normal V6 trial.
Well, if this is the problem I could perfectly just enable the debugger on any trial (indeed, currently it's only available to the trial authors).
In fact, I specifically blocked it because it's a tool specifically designed for development and test of the trial, but clearly you're making a different use of it... I could remove that limitation, and enable the debugger for everyone if people agree.

Honestly, as far as replaying trial goes, I'd encourage you to use the V6's game saving feature, which is a huge improvement over V5 (instant save and load...) and is designed for this.

Otherwise, like before, I can also point you to the technical solution to what you want : in your browser's javascript console, type

Code: Select all

readFrame(42);
where 42 is the index (the position in the storyboard) of the frame you want to go. And, if you know the frame's ID instead :

Code: Select all

readFrame(getRowIndexById('frames', 42));
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

But the debugger shows all the evidence and variables' names, you don't want the player to see that. :(
ImageImage Image Image Image
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

I don't intend to display it by default, only when people append &debug at the end of the URL. ;-)
The thing is that currently, &debug will have no effect if the current user does not have the ability to edit the trial.
ImageImageImage