I KEEP LOSING MY PROGRESS!

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Do you feel that any of these should be implemented?

Yes, A #1
33%
Yes, A #2
17%
Yes, B #1
33%
Yes, B #2
17%
No
No votes

Total votes: 12

BOI_LoadedTommy
Spoken languages: English, very limited German, 1337 (Leet), Idiot

I KEEP LOSING MY PROGRESS!

Post by BOI_LoadedTommy »

I think there should be several implementations in V. 6 to prevent data loss in several scenarios, all of which I've been victim to. :(
Spoiler : Exhibit A: In-Editor Preventative Measures :
Option #1: Are you sure you want to leave this page? Unsaved data will be lost.

This message should be added to the editor whenever someone were to attempt to exit it. This is crucial, since I have lost data threefold from this, twice from accidentally going back to my last page when attempting to hit backspace, and the third from (no joke) tripping on my chair and accidentally pressing the refresh key.

*Option #2: Autosave System.

The king of data loss prevention. Implementing an autosave system into the editor could prevent (at least some data) from being lost whenever a user exits without saving. Also, an autosave-upon-exit feature could be added, which automatically saves when you exit the trial editor.
Spoiler : Exhibit B: Outside-Editor Preventative Measures :
Option #1: Are you sure you want to delete this trial?

This message should be added to the trial manager whenever someone were to delete a trial.

*Option #2: The "Trash Can"

Let's say I deleted a trial. It could be moved to this thing codenamed the Trash Can. It works sort of like the Recycling Bin. Any deleted trials would be put into the Can, and would stay there for a week. Any trials in the Can may be restored, but after they've been in there for a week (or the user's Can reaches it's capacity), they're gone for good.
*My favorite solution.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: I KEEP LOSING MY PROGRESS!

Post by Enthalpy »

The matter has been previously discussed here.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Post by Reverie »

I'm pretty sure there already is an autosave system but maybe that's just me being an idiot as usual. Hell, there's even manual backups, so if you're gonna do something risky, they're pretty good...
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Spyromed wrote:I'm pretty sure there already is an autosave system but maybe that's just me being an idiot as usual. Hell, there's even manual backups, so if you're gonna do something risky, they're pretty good...
There is no auto save, at least not how JBYT means it.

The possibility of saving automatically as you work is something I've been thinking about for a while.

I don't think it would be wise to trigger an online save automatically regularly : it would basically make the auto backup mechanism useless, and thus prevent you from reverting to older versions of the trial if needed; and in particular if for some reason the data in the editor was corrupted by a bug, it would save the corrupted version without asking you.

However, maybe I could enable an automatic local save in your browser's memory, so that when you open the editor it would notice you have a local save and ask you if you want to restore it instead of loading the current version from the site.

And for the warning at deletion, I will add it soon.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
BOI_LoadedTommy
Spoken languages: English, very limited German, 1337 (Leet), Idiot

Post by BOI_LoadedTommy »

Thanks a lot. I looked at the post that Enthalpy told me about, and I guess that my ideas aren't first-time thoughts. Also, I think that after some reflection on my ideas, only A #1 and B #1 would be feasible.