[Suggestion] [E] Documentation/.lower()

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [Suggestion] [E] Documentation/.lower()

Post by Unas »

Technically, you can already see the Javascript code - it's all sent to your browser when you play ^^
If you open your browser's javascript console you'll be able to see all the JS files loaded, with all the player code ;-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

Well, it's always better to see the finished product :) I'm not entirely sure about what's left to complete in v6 or if it's just troubleshooting, but some changes will probably be made in terms of optimization and interaction with other code.
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

Unas wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:Got it. Will the source code be forkable/worked on by us?
It will depend on where I decide to host the source code, but provided I go for github you should be able to fork it, develop a specific feature or bugfix on your fork, then make a pull request so that I review your changes and decide to integrate them in the central repository or not.
I will still be the maintainer of the central repository of course, you won't be able to push modifications on it directly. But if there are good programmers in the community, and if they are comfortable working with my code architecture and style (which is another problem : there are many good developers out there, but all do not share the same principles ^^) then I hope it'll allow AAO to evolve faster :-)
Sounds interesting. That's pretty cool. It would definitely be easier to view that way.

Your code is beautiful, by the way. I was in awe for a while when I took a look at it. I've never seen any other programmer go to the level you do, especially for JS. So that comment is understandable :)
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Unas wrote:Technically, you can already see the Javascript code - it's all sent to your browser when you play ^^
If you open your browser's javascript console you'll be able to see all the JS files loaded, with all the player code ;-)
Viewing it like that is sooooo much messier though. xP

But still, thanks. I'll defs be interested in helping out if I can later on~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

mercurialSK wrote:Your code is beautiful, by the way. I was in awe for a while when I took a look at it. I've never seen any other programmer go to the level you do, especially for JS. So that comment is understandable :)
Thanks ^^
Actually, many developers say that they hate JS because it's a dirty language - but then when they are forced to use it they use it in a dirty way too. On the other hand, I consider JS as a nice, very expressive language, which only defect is the lack of enforced structure (compared notably to the Java language that a lot of devs use - and that I use at work). So I enforce a structure myself in the code that I write. :-)
I decided to drop V5 and start from scratch for V6 precisely for that : V5 is built on the legacy of V1, which was my first big JS project, and my first big development project of any kind : as such, I had no experience in how to properly structure code, so after a while it became really a pain to maintain. On the other hand, I started working on V6 after the first year of my software engineering studies, with a lot more experience acquired. Now that I have even more experience, I think I could've done much better still, but I'm not going to re-rewrite everything right now xD
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ferdielance »

While toLower and toUpper functions would be great, what I'd REALLY LOVE would be a way to pull out specific substrings and just do more string processing in general!
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"