[Suggestion] [E] Documentation/.lower()

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

[Suggestion] [E] Documentation/.lower()

Post by kwando1313 »

Do we have any documentation (like full out documentation of all the features) for the v6 yet?

The other question is, do we have a way to make a string all lower case? It'd be easier to check for string comparisons if that existed (and I can't believe it would be too hard to implement if it hasn't been implemented yet...)

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [Suggestion] [E] Documentation/.lower()

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm not aware of any comprehensive documentation or lowercase function.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Any idea if Unas will ever implement these... Features/ideas?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Nothing recent.

Unas said in 2012 that he planned documentation at some point.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

In case it's not been made clear enough by this, I'm counting on the community for documentation, I clearly don't have time to invest in it myself. :wink:
Currently there is a documentation of common functions by drvonkitty, and details on a few specific features (psyche locks and CEs) in the V6 tutorials section.

In the French section, a very detailed guide has already been made, you can have a look there if you understand it ;-)

As for lowercase, I can add that easily yes.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Ah, ok. Thanks for the guides. The French one looks more like the one I can use since it's more comprehensive (though, I'm going to have to brush up on my rusty French. xP)

Two more questions though:

1) Are functions such as the random number generator still called in the same way as it was in v5?
2) I remember earlier that you said you're eventually planning on posting the source code. Are those plans still accurate? And if so, when would we be able to see them?

Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

1) Yes ! Actually, the expression engine is the only piece of code that I imported as-is from V5 into V6. Everything else in V6 is from scratch, but the expression engine is the same ;-)

2) I haven't decided on a date yet - the only thing I can say is that it'll be after the official release of V6. Which is supposed to be very soon but unfortunately I've been having very little time to dedicate to AAO lately.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Got it. Will the source code be forkable/worked on by us?

drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by drvonkitty »

I'm planning to revamp my guide once the competition is over and make it much more pleasing to the eye and more comprehensive, akin to the French one. Right now I'm not hugely happy with its quality.

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I have to change some stuff on all of my guides, but unless I want to dq myself from the competition, I have to wait until after the comp is over to fix stuff. I feel you, drvonkitty. Can we know when the tutorial competition will be judged?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Yes, sorry about that. I'll try to announce the winner soon so that you can resume working on the guides.

In fact, one thing that should be done in yours as well as in the French one is to split the tutorial across several posts, and have the first post be an index with links to the following sections, it'd be a lot more pleasant to browse.
But anyway, we'll see about that.
kwando1313 wrote:Got it. Will the source code be forkable/worked on by us?
It will depend on where I decide to host the source code, but provided I go for github you should be able to fork it, develop a specific feature or bugfix on your fork, then make a pull request so that I review your changes and decide to integrate them in the central repository or not.
I will still be the maintainer of the central repository of course, you won't be able to push modifications on it directly. But if there are good programmers in the community, and if they are comfortable working with my code architecture and style (which is another problem : there are many good developers out there, but all do not share the same principles ^^) then I hope it'll allow AAO to evolve faster :-)
ImageImageImage
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

So long as the code is commented/easy to read, it should be fine. xP

Thanks for the info! Also, out of sheer curiosity... What language is AAO written in, anyways? I know there's some JS... But is that all?

Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

There's also some PHP, but I think that's everything that could actually be called programming.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

In V6,
- The editor and player are entirely developed in JS - aside from the trial loading and saving processes, in PHP,
- The manager and all the database management is in PHP,
- V6 Trial data is stored in JSON (V5 and older trial data is in a different format),
- Translation files are written in JSON.

I think that sums up all of it. :-)
ImageImageImage
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

Ah! I can't wait to see the source code for the player, it would really help me in my studies!