[Suggestion] Previous Dialogue button (a la Dual Destinies)

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

[Suggestion] Previous Dialogue button (a la Dual Destinies)

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Well, dunno if this is even a thing already on the editor, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So here goes:

I suggest a view previous dialogue button, similar to the same feature in Dual Destinies. I really appreciated this feature, as I'm not the best at retaining too many little details over the course of the dialogue (or when I accidentally skipped a frame while trying to skip animations in the real game, I lost important information. This feature helped me TONS).

The thing is, I don't know if it's a thing or not, like I said already. My idea about it's mechanics would be something like this:

- Activated through the push of a button, it displays the dialogue in a set number of frames before the current one (displaying everything is just overdoing it, but up to 30 frames is not a bad thing, I guess)
- For lovers of the difficulty that lacking this feature has, the author can decide if it's included in his/her case or not (maybe in the metadata?)
- Also, even though there is a maximum limit of the frames it "goes back", the author can define a lower set of frames it does so (for exmaple, let's presume a 30 frame limit in this "log" of sorts. The author can define an even lower number, let's say 5 frames, in case he wants it to be used only in case of misclicks by the player)

So, your opinions?
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Re: [Suggestion] Previous Dialogue button (a la Dual Destini

Post by enigma »

I'm pretty sure this feature has been proposed before and Unas' response was that it would be a lot of work and that he's not considering it currently? Though, I'm not 100% sure. Personally, in the way you propose, it sounds like far too much work and effort for very little reward...
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I recall something similar, but I can't find a source. Until then, I'll leave this to Unas.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

I don't remember what I answered the first time it was asked, but I believe it's not difficult to do as long as you keep the player tab open.

However, what would be much more useful would be to have this data saved, so you could browse back the last few messages when you load a save and remember the context. If I want this data saved in a clean way it'll require a little bit of work. It's still reasonable though.
Also, another problem is to find a nice way to integrate that in the player interface. I guess I could think if something good with a little time but do not hesitate for suggestions.

But you can expect this feature to land at some point in the future ;-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Yaaaay, this is seriously the best feature in Dual Destinies. :D
ImageImage Image Image Image
Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Unas wrote:Also, another problem is to find a nice way to integrate that in the player interface. I guess I could think if something good with a little time but do not hesitate for suggestions.

But you can expect this feature to land at some point in the future ;-)
Suggestions, huh...

Well, here's a couple, though I dunno if they are valid:

[*] Just rip off the little button on the lower part of the lower screen and put it in the same position. When pushed, it displays the dialogue in a similar way to the Check button "text details" on evidence (as a popup)
[*] Since the save button was removed from the side of the life bar, why not there?
[*] A piece of evidence at the bottom of the list (not very classy, but it might work)

Here's a sloppy example.